VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Cadillac CTS Wagon thinking about getting one. Is there anything I need to look out for?

2K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  TheTrueQuaid 
#1 ·
Always liked the CTS wagon and now that I can find a used one I can afford. Anybody have one that hates or loves their wagon and why.:confused:

#3 ·
I used to love these way back when... I remember thinking it's preferable to get the 3.6L V6 over the 3.0L, but I'm sure neither is very exciting per se... I think they still look good.

Typical GM, large outside/small inside use of interior space. As good as the 2nd gen CTS was, the third/current is better in every way...though that's moot since no wagon obviously.

I'm sure these can be had for next to nothing so there's a value there at least. Can be had with AWD too, so that's a plus if you need it.

#13 ·
third/current is better in every way...though that's moot since no wagon obviously.
I think that's the biggest drawback for me. the 3rd gen cars are just sooooo much better. The V is a hoot in its own right, but the standard spec cars aren't anything special IMO. I know you can't get a wagon in the 3rd gen, but even so. I'd go so far as to say that if a 2nd gen auto V and 3rd gen V-sport were the same price, I'd pick the V-sport 10 times out of 10.

#8 ·
What's interesting, is that you can still actually find a 2nd gen CTS non-V with a 6 speed manual. But they are rare, and sedan only.

#9 ·
The CTS-V Wagon is called the unicorn for a reason. Only 1500 produced, only 514 were manual. The reason they hold their value so well is the rarity coupled with the fact that 556hp 6 speed wagons are much more popular with the enthusiast crowd than the people who could afford $70k wagons. High demand, low supply. I wanted one but couldn't find one when I was looking.

#10 · (Edited)
I'd avoid pre 2009. The timing chain isn't a gamble, it is an eventuality and it's about $3-4k to fix outside of the warranty, which I'd imagine most of that age are by now. I had an 09 sedan cts4 3.6 which was pretty fun to drive when it worked. Unfortunately it was the single most unreliable vehicle I've ever owned. I hope they wouldn't all be that bad, i see enough on the road still, but it makes me very cautious. Definitely get an independent inspection done before buying one.

Other specific things to note or watch it for- the keyless entry door handles fail when water gets into the housing and it's about $400 per handle. There is next to no storage in the cts. Carbon builds up fast in these. They eat oil.

If you find a good wagon that you are confident in it's upkeep and reliability, go for it. If I'd gotten the wagon over the sedan i may have put up with the issues a bit longer.

#12 ·
Some owners have had serious rust issues on the wagon body shell. That would give me real pause and I'd examine it carefully.

http://www.ctsvowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52794

Otherwise I'd second the "poor use of space" comment. Love the looks, but if practicality is your mission, look elsewhere.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

#15 · (Edited)
I have a V-Wagon and I love it, but it doesn't hurt that it's a V-series Cadillac in a wagon body.

That said, I'll echo what many people here have shared in that it's not the most useful wagon, as it sacrifices space for style. Think of it as a larger hatchback, or maybe something like a CLS shooting brake. I don't think it holds much more than my Mazda3 hatch did, though it will hold longer items. One thing I was disappointed in, as well, is the lack of interior storage cubbies. The glovebox isn't the biggest, the center console cubby is tight, there are 2 cupholders in front, and a small map pocket in each front door.

However it is a quiet car that rides and handles well with good steering feel. The driving position is cozy and sporty, and I feel I have plenty of room (I'm 5'9). I love the look of the car, and the interior is aging well, though I wish it had a more modern infotainment system (it was unchanged since 2009 - Bluetooth hands-free calling, but no Bluetooth audio streaming :mad:).

If you find a good deal on one, I think it is a nice wagon for the money but make sure you realize it's not going to be as versatile as something like an E-series wagon, or similar.

#16 ·
My daily driver is a 91 Custom Cruiser Oldsmobile

Thanks for the insight. I have a big wagon that I use as a daily driver.I always liked the look of the CTS Wagon. Kind of a sporty smaller version of my Olds. I have had the luck to drive the V series cars at a Cadillac Performance Driving Event and liked what I saw. I started looking to see what prices looked like and found some that looked like good deals for around $15,000 for a 3.6 AWD Performance trim model. Sure it's not a V, but those seem to be closer to 25-30. Saw a Hennesy that looked Bad Ass but so was the price. So far no one has scared me off on the CTS Wagon and I'll keep looking and open to some schooling.

#17 ·
Nice. My first car was my parent's hand-me-down '86 Olds Custom Cruiser. I didn't appreciate the wagons then as much as I do now. I wish they continued making the Olds through '96 so that you could get one with the LT1. I like the looks of the Olds the best out of the trio.

If you are finding a V-Wagon for 25-30k, you should jump on it. Most of the ones I've seen are $40+. It has really held it's value better than the sedans and the coupes.

Good luck with your search.

#20 ·
Maybe the first gen. Second gen is solid.

2008/9 have timing chain issues, AWD output shaft shearing (disables the car if it breaks, 2010 GM made the output shaft stronger) and ultra view moon roof leaks (easily fixed).

The tail lamps on the Sportwagon like to separate from the body GM put out a TSB for improved tail lamps that are supposedly stronger. The tail lights are huge and the plastic hook at the top just gives up and stops holding.

I have a 2010 Performance Sportwagon and I like it. Its not the fastest thing but it gets decent MPG, mostly easy to work on, handles great, storage in the back is great 25 cu ft with seats up and the AWD system works great. Put over 80k on mine. Any ? ask away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.