Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
      Cars
      2011 135i, 2009 GTI, 2007 CR-V
      05-19-2017 09:42 AM #1
      Hi all,

I love my 2007 CRV, but the brakes are awful. Last year I put in new centric rotors and brembo street pads, and things improved over stock, but now a year later, the rotors are warped (again) and the pedal is mushy... so time to do the brakes again. Looking on tirerack, the options on pads are limited, and the only upgrade available for the rotors is to get the cryo treated ones. Not sure if that is worth it. Brake fluid was changed last year as well. I'm looking for good initial bite, as well as not warping the rotors annually. Anyone have any suggestions? For reference, this is the set up I have now, which I don't like very much- Brembo pads and centric plain rotors https://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resu...utoModClar=4wd

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
      Fourtitude.com
      Advertisements
      Blog Entries
      Cars
      '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      05-19-2017 09:45 AM #2
      I can't help you with rotor or pad choices, but if you want to stiffen up the pedal, I would opt for the SS brake lines that are available from TireRack for your vehicle. I added something similar to my corrado and the pedal feel was night and day. Other people who drove the car, including instructors at HPDEs also comments on the firm pedal.

Cars
      05-19-2017 09:59 AM #3
      yeah, the stainless lines are something I will definitely do

Cars
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, Family Truckster
      05-19-2017 10:01 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Dandbest View Post
      Hi all,

I love my 2007 CRV, but the brakes are awful. Last year I put in new centric rotors and brembo street pads, and things improved over stock, but now a year later, the rotors are warped (again) and the pedal is mushy... so time to do the brakes again. Looking on tirerack, the options on pads are limited, and the only upgrade available for the rotors is to get the cryo treated ones. Not sure if that is worth it. Brake fluid was changed last year as well. I'm looking for good initial bite, as well as not warping the rotors annually. Anyone have any suggestions? For reference, this is the set up I have now, which I don't like very much- Brembo pads and centric plain rotors https://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resu...utoModClar=4wd

Thanks.
      Rotors don't warp under remotely normal driving conditions. What you are getting are uneven pad deposits. Potential sources of uneven deposits are improper pad bedding or a bad wheel bearing. Find out what's causing your problem before throwing new parts at it.

Cars
      05-19-2017 10:12 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      Rotors don't warp under remotely normal driving conditions. What you are getting are uneven pad deposits. Potential sources of uneven deposits are improper pad bedding or a bad wheel bearing. Find out what's causing your problem before throwing new parts at it.
      I bedded the pads by doing about 10 35-40mph to 5mph stops, and they were fine for the past year. Doubt its that. The wheel bearings make no noise at all, so I don't think they're bad, although I haven't actually checked them yet. My personal opinion is that the brakes are a bit small for the size vehicle, plus I am a bit more aggressive than your typical CRV driving soccer mom (except Andy, of course).

Cars
      '17 Accord Sport SE 6MT Andy Approved! - '12 Honda Pilot EX-L Family Truckster
      05-19-2017 10:14 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      This.

You need the best heat resistant, street pads available for the CRV. Look at a high quality semi-metallic pad.

You can run a pair of abrasive pads to get rid of the deposits on the rotor, then switch over to new pads.

Cars
      ATS-v | All Track CEL
      05-19-2017 10:16 AM #7
      Consider rebuilding your calipers and getting new guide pins too.

Cars
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      05-19-2017 10:24 AM #8
      Mushy pedal on lower level Japanese cars screams firewall flex during spirited driving. Is there a master cylinder brace available/compatible?
      initiative comes to thems that wait

Support Your Local Homebrewery

Cars
      2011 128i
      05-19-2017 10:36 AM #9
      I bedded the pads by doing about 10 35-40mph to 5mph stops, and they were fine for the past year. Doubt its that. The wheel bearings make no noise at all, so I don't think they're bad, although I haven't actually checked them yet. My personal opinion is that the brakes are a bit small for the size vehicle, plus I am a bit more aggressive than your typical CRV driving soccer mom (except Andy, of course).
      my stepmother has owned 3 crvs and rides the brake like crazy, she has never warped rotors, especially not in a year
      Quote Originally Posted by westopher View Post
      If you want to spend a bunch of money for something to look at, buy a painting. I'll happily drive my car til its worth nothing.
      Quote Originally Posted by JalopnikMatt View Post
      Since my presence has been requested, Beetlejuice-style, I'll address the current controversy:
      Yes, the Prius is the greatest car ever made.

Cars
      2011 Kia Sorrento / 10 WRX
      05-19-2017 10:55 AM #10
      rotors don't warp...they wear uneven...or have deposits.
      Demokratikally Elekted Direktor and Konveyor of Positive Vibrations for the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkAnalyst View Post
      I am the Fgt
      greenie: i'm banging my mechanic

12. Member
      Cars
      '15 TLX. 13 TSX-W, '01 S2000
      05-19-2017 10:57 AM #11
      My' 04 TSX had the same problem with deposits - I eventually went to mildly aggressive Hawk pads with the OEM rotors (not the dusty, noisy track pads) and they problem went away permanently.

Cars
      05-19-2017 10:59 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfTango View Post
      This.

You need the best heat resistant, street pads available for the CRV. Look at a high quality semi-metallic pad.

You can run a pair of abrasive pads to get rid of the deposits on the rotor, then switch over to new pads.
      I bought the best pads I could find-- the brembo in the link on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      I really don't think that at 98000 miles the calipers are the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Mushy pedal on lower level Japanese cars screams firewall flex during spirited driving. Is there a master cylinder brace available/compatible?
      none that I know of... but I would buy one if it were available

Quote Originally Posted by Dravenport View Post
      my stepmother has owned 3 crvs and rides the brake like crazy, she has never warped rotors, especially not in a year
      Don't know what to tell you... Maybe its the cheap centric (chinese) rotors, maybe its me driving aggressively, maybe its the 2000 pound trailer I towed twice from NY to GA in the past year. Either way, I think I can fix the warping issue by buying cryo treated rotors, but my bigger issue is the slight mushiness and lack of stopping power. I'm not expecting it to stop like my 135i or even my wife's GTI, I just want to improve it without spending unreasonable amounts of money on it. At the end of the day, it is a daily driver.

Cars
      '17 Subaru Legacy Sport
      05-19-2017 11:08 AM #13
      For the rotors, you might try asking your Honda dealer of they can turn the rotors on vehicle. Most Honda dealers have the equipment to do this, and it will help compensate for runout on your hub.

For the squishy pedal: The next time you bleed, do a few full ABS stops. Sometimes air can get trapped in the ABS pump and it's difficult to get out unless you cycle the pump. SS lines are also a good suggestion.
      =

Cars
      2011 GTI 2dr 6M, 2014 JKU
      05-19-2017 11:09 AM #14
      I bought the best pads I could find-- the brembo in the link on top.

I really don't think that at 98000 miles the calipers are the issue.

none that I know of... but I would buy one if it were available

Don't know what to tell you... Maybe its the cheap centric (chinese) rotors, maybe its me driving aggressively, maybe its the 2000 pound trailer I towed twice from NY to GA in the past year. Either way, I think I can fix the warping issue by buying cryo treated rotors, but my bigger issue is the slight mushiness and lack of stopping power. I'm not expecting it to stop like my 135i or even my wife's GTI, I just want to improve it without spending unreasonable amounts of money on it. At the end of the day, it is a daily driver.

Uhhh, yeah.

Before you go spending a bunch of money chasing ghosts, buy OEM rotors and semi-metallic pads. The Brembo pads you have are ceramic. Semi-metallics will give you better bite and feel at the cost of quicker wear and more dust.
      The OG Russells is back!

Quote Originally Posted by Sump View Post
      I'm sure a lot of these guys went home after the carwash and played a little hans solo.

Cars
      Mk6 GolfR, Q7 4.2, G60 Corrado, 5.0 Fox, '55 Roadmaster, R52 JCW
      05-19-2017 11:14 AM #15
      Try these pads if they fit. No more "warped" rotors:

http://www.hawkperformance.com/perfo...pads/hb393f665

Cars
      2016 Mazda CX5 Touring AWD, 2001 W.E Jetta
      05-19-2017 11:16 AM #16
      This! I just swapped calipers last night on a 98 Plymouth, felt like a brand new car. Previous it was dragging, heating up the rotors etc. Basically everything needs to move well. If your really going to tear it apart and do brake lines might as well add another 100 and do calipers too.

Larger brake would help too. Fresh fluid etc.

05-19-2017 11:21 AM #17
      Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by XClayX View Post
      This! I just swapped calipers last night on a 98 Plymouth, felt like a brand new car. Previous it was dragging, heating up the rotors etc. Basically everything needs to move well. If your really going to tear it apart and do brake lines might as well add another 100 and do calipers too.

Larger brake would help too. Fresh fluid etc.
      I think the CRV, like many car based CUVs, are underbraked. I wonder if there's a bolt on option. Like a TL front brake swap or something in the family.

Chris
      | 2017 Korean Appliance SE | 2008 Suburban LTZ | 2003 Dodge Ram | 2002 BMW 530i con mañuel | 1974 SuperBeetle x 2 | 1979 Camaro | 1975 Scout |
      The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

Cars
      05-19-2017 11:27 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by TyrolSport View Post
      Try these pads if they fit. No more "warped" rotors:

http://www.hawkperformance.com/perfo...pads/hb393f665
      Those don't fit a 2007 CRV. Matter of fact, Hawk makes nothing for my generation CRV, according to their website... I do have hawk pads on my 135i and they are great!

20. Member
      Cars
      '15 TLX. 13 TSX-W, '01 S2000
      05-19-2017 11:32 AM #19
      I thought for sure those would be Accord brakes. Guess not.

Can you try another non-ceramic but "sporty" pad? You just need something that grinds the crap off the rotor surface.

Cars
      '17 Subaru Legacy Sport
      05-19-2017 11:48 AM #20
      Those don't fit a 2007 CRV. Matter of fact, Hawk makes nothing for my generation CRV, according to their website... I do have hawk pads on my 135i and they are great!
      Do you have the P/N of the FR caliper off hand?
      =

Cars
      It varies.
      05-19-2017 11:51 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      Uhhh, yeah.

Before you go spending a bunch of money chasing ghosts, buy OEM rotors and semi-metallic pads. The Brembo pads you have are ceramic. Semi-metallics will give you better bite and feel at the cost of quicker wear and more dust.
      This, and you don't even need OEM rotors. Wagner or Raybestos, if available, are excellent. I've used Wagner ThermoQuiet pads in a number of cars with good results, and I'm a late braker and can't stand mushy brakes. The dust isn't bad at all and I've also found that semi-metallic pads don't chew up rotors as quickly as ceramic pads do which is nice considering most rotors can't be turned anymore.
      Now this was a superior machine. Ten grand worth of gimmicks and high-priced special effects. The rear windows lit up with a touch like frogs in a dynamite pond. The dashboard was full of esoteric lights and dials and meters that I would never understand.

Cars
      Logitech G29
      05-19-2017 12:02 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by BUJonathan View Post
      For the rotors, you might try asking your Honda dealer of they can turn the rotors on vehicle. Most Honda dealers have the equipment to do this, and it will help compensate for runout on your hub.
      Bingo. I'm actually ProCut brake lathe certified, it's by far the best way to cut rotors due to the hub runout reason you mentioned.

Cars
      2012 CC R-Line CW :::::::::::::::::1998 GTi PB
      05-19-2017 12:12 PM #23
      1+3+3=7

25. 05-19-2017 12:19 PM #24
      I went with the Powerstop slotted/cross drilled rotors, and Stoptech Sport pads on my Impreza, and they're awesome. The Stoptechs are Semi-metallics and initial bite is really good compared to the ceramics I previously had. If you can get them in CR-V fitment, do it.

You might also be able to upgrade larger OEM brakes like from an Acura MDX or something bigger, that might help.

EDIT: On further review, your CR-V should already have 11.8" rotors, which are about as big as they get for Honda. Only some Odysseys seem to have a 12.3" option.
      Last edited by Chazwozza; 05-19-2017 at 12:46 PM.

Cars
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, Family Truckster
      05-19-2017 12:29 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Chazwozza View Post
      I went with the Powerstop slotted/cross drilled rotors, and Stoptech Sport pads on my Impreza, and they're awesome. The Stoptechs are Semi-metallics and initial bite is really good compared to the ceramics I previously had. If you can get them in CR-V fitment, do it.

You might also be able to upgrade larger OEM brakes like from an Acura MDX or something bigger, that might help.
      No need to pay for drilled and slotted rotors. Drilled have no benefit other than looks. Slotted may have a marginal benefit, but not in a DD use case.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast