Fourtitude.com - What drives you to upgrade your entire system or components?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Cars
      2016 Mazda CX5 Touring AWD, 2001 W.E Jetta
      04-20-2017 09:26 AM #1
      In the past I've had hardware failures which was the primary drive to getting a new piece of tech. AMD's Ryzen 7 has planted the itch to build or upgrade one of my systems. So I compared it to my circa 2013 machines (a10 5800k / i5 4670k) via passmark website tool. Unsurprisingly the Ryzen 7 1700x is easily 2-3x faster then my current machines.

So is it worth it? Buy MB, Process, Ram, OS (not sure if I could reuse) and reuse the old SSD's video cards (HD7870), PSU, case etc. Est 600 bucks give or take = Mmmm cores....

Reality is my current systems are meeting my needs for the most part. Sure there's a few things where its like watching paint dry but not the norm. My mom always said... Is it a want? a need? or a have to have?

2. Remove Advertisements
      Fourtitude.com
      Advertisements
      Cars
      2014 Wrangler
      04-20-2017 10:20 AM #2
      Usually when I have a want. It used to be need, as in the need to play the latest games, but getting older, kid is growing up, etc, life gets in the way. I've got a bunch of new games in my steam library that I haven't touched yet because I don't have time anymore
      °.lllllll.°

Cars
      Ferrari La Ferrari
      04-21-2017 01:03 PM #3
      Usually when I couldn't play modern games at low settings with decent frame rates. Basically just outpacing the consoles.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
      signatures are annoying, right?

5. Member
      04-30-2017 04:41 PM #4
      After 5 years, or when there's some kind of qualitative change in the technology eg: SSDs.

I have a Lenovo S20 with a Xeon processor, 2 Nvidia Quadro cards, and 500G rotational HD. I just (last night) purchased a new MB, i7 4790 processor, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, and 1T SSD. I reuse my existing case and power supply and have a computer that will last me another 5 years.
      "If you buy a tiger, you have to feed it."

Cars
      88 F150, 04 RX8, 96 T&C LXi
      04-30-2017 04:49 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by pops View Post
      I reuse my existing case and power supply and have a computer that will last me another 5 years.
      Not that I think it's that risky with known stuff, but many will say old power supplies are dangerous to reuse because they lose max output and stability with age.
      removed because realized just as annoying as the people that refuse to turn off their phone app's auto-spam with every post.

7. Member
      04-30-2017 05:06 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Not that I think it's that risky with known stuff, but many will say old power supplies are dangerous to reuse because they lose max output and stability with age.
      I wasn't aware of that, but will look into it. Thank you!

"If you buy a tiger, you have to feed it."

Cars
      DD: Big & Black O: A4 | Uncertified Preowned: Explorer, Sportage, xB, Golf GL
      05-02-2017 05:46 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by pops View Post
      After 5 years, or when there's some kind of qualitative change in the technology eg: SSDs.

I have a Lenovo S20 with a Xeon processor, 2 Nvidia Quadro cards, and 500G rotational HD. I just (last night) purchased a new MB, i7 4790 processor, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, and 1T SSD. I reuse my existing case and power supply and have a computer that will last me another 5 years.
      My current home machine is archaic, I built it in July '09 and I'm still running it with Win7 64/Athlon X2 2.8GHz/8GB Ram/750GB HDDx2/GeForce 8400GS. Of course, I didn't use it for 2 years when I got my Surface3.

Upgrading it only makes sense if it's the HDD and chip. I need to make a video production rig, so upgrading RAM, HDD/SSD, processor, gfx card, etc.- might as well just build a new machine.
      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Or some other government-sponsored illegal wiretapping app
      I find your answer vague and unconvincing.
      @mbull | instagram

Cars
      ATS-v | All Track CEL
      05-02-2017 09:59 PM #8

So my mobo fried on my gaming desktop. I was going to send the mobo to get RMA'd, but then I went wtf. I have to pay for shipping and that is going to be $30, plus I'll spend a month waiting? **** that. New mobos are cheap.

So I bought a MSI mobo. Then I realized the chipset didn't OC well with my CPU.

So I bought a new Gigabyte mobo with a different, better chipset.

Then I discovered Tom Clancey's Wildlands, and my PC could only play it on low at 720p.

So I said **** it and bought a new mobo, cpu, and gpu.

Then realized that for some reason the new mobo didn't work well with my newish case, both ATX. So I bought a new case....

Then I bought another new SSD to handle said game.

Then I bought a new monitor.

This is why people hate PC gaming. I just spent probably $700 to fix a motherboard...

Also everything in the picture I purchased just walking into my local Micro Center. Zero planning or thought went into it. Micro Center is dope. Guy who helped me researched prices online and price matched everything. I got it cheaper than PC Part Picker shows by a WHOLE lot.

So far everything is solid.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dsjj7h
      Last edited by Aonarch; 05-02-2017 at 10:11 PM.

Cars
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      05-03-2017 08:39 AM #9
      Usually to keep up with games.

Most recently I upgraded to a 27" 1440p G-Sync monitor. A few months prior I upgraded my videocard to a GTX 1070. It replaced a GTX 780, which replaced a pair of Radon HD6870s.

The rest of the system is a little over 5 years old now, my Sandy Bridge i7 2600k is still working pretty well. I did replace my case a few months back, but I just wanted something new. I have also added a few SSDs over the years.
      Last edited by Hostile; 05-03-2017 at 08:42 AM.
      iain

Cars
      ATS-v | All Track CEL
      05-03-2017 06:24 PM #10

Whelp I just returned the RX 460 for a GTX 1060. The 460 just couldn't handle AAA title at 1080p even overclocked on medium.

Now playing Wildlands on ultra at 1080p averaging 74 fps, without overclocking.

And I upgraded my PSU too since I now need a PCI power plug and will overclocking CPU and GPU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk