Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516
      Cars
      '17 STI Limited, Ross Edition
      04-24-2017 10:24 AM #376
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      How about DIY clear bra for $50?
      I was all psyched to try this, but 3M apparently quietly discontinued it about a year ago.

Are there any similar products out there?

2. Remove Advertisements
      Fourtitude.com
      Advertisements
      Cars
      Ghetto35
      04-24-2017 10:33 AM #377
      Quote Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post
      I was all psyched to try this, but 3M apparently quietly discontinued it about a year ago.

Are there any similar products out there?
      https://www.amazon.com/3M-90000-Pain...dp/B00BSKYM82/

and

https://www.amazon.com/3M-90200-Pain...dp/B00BHH1QMG/

Cars
      04-24-2017 10:41 AM #378
      Yeah read the comments. That is old stock, and it's all expired. 3m discontinued the product in 2015, and it only has a 12 month shelf life

Cars
      Ghetto35
      04-24-2017 10:47 AM #379
      Yeah read the comments. That is old stock, and it's all expired. 3m discontinued the product in 2015, and it only has a 12 month shelf life
      Ah. My mistake. I wonder if a glossy clear Plasti Dip would work.

Cars
      Q50 RS400, '05 Lexus GX470, '98 F150 redneck mobile
      04-24-2017 08:55 PM #380
      Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
      I had the front of our Tucson done for $400 back in 2012. That was for ~8" back on the hood and the front bumper. It's illegal to do lights. The bra still looks fine, and has a lifetime warranty through 3M. I'm sure it's more now, but $1200-$2000 seems really high. I asked the dealer who they use, and I contacted the installer directly.

I've also used the DIY 3M clear bra spray with pretty great results. It's about $25 for the kit and it offers around 75% of the protection of the film. I did that to my old Si and Accord.
      Is this state law? The package I had put on my Infiniti included the headlights, and they do that on every car afaik. Didn't hear any mention of being illegal or not.

I can't recommend Xpel enough. I paid $900 to have the whole front end, rear bumper, and behind the wheel wells (like where you'd see splash guards). It's well worth it. The area with the Xpel stays so clean all the time.

Cars
      Ghetto35
      04-24-2017 10:13 PM #381
      Quote Originally Posted by jepva View Post
      Is this state law? The package I had put on my Infiniti included the headlights, and they do that on every car afaik. Didn't hear any mention of being illegal or not.

I can't recommend Xpel enough. I paid $900 to have the whole front end, rear bumper, and behind the wheel wells (like where you'd see splash guards). It's well worth it. The area with the Xpel stays so clean all the time.
      From what I was told, it's a DOT regulation. I just did a quick google search, but I didn't get too far into the mess of regulations before I gave up. I had the bra on that car installed in California, and the installer said that nobody out there could legally do it (at least at the time). It was because of the film, or some films, trapping heat and melting Corvette and other large headlights. I honestly didn't research it too thoroughly, as I didn't really care. Maybe he was FOS, but it does seem like something that could be illegal, though pretty hard to notice and likely would never be an issue. Anyway, it's 88k miles later and the occasionally Klasse-coated massive Korean plastic lenses still look new. It may also void the OEM headlight housing warranty if there is a heat-related failure, as I recall the installer saying that was why the Corvette thing was such a big deal. But... if somebody reputable is willing to install it with a warranty, it's probably fine.

So, has the STI flipped backasswards off of the highway yet? I've read that they really need that extra downforce on public roads.
      Last edited by Samson; 04-24-2017 at 10:16 PM.

8. Member
      Cars
      Fancy Accord, Covered Wagon, Family Truckster
      04-24-2017 10:45 PM #382
      Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post

So, has the STI flipped backasswards off of the highway yet? I've read that they really need that extra downforce on public roads.
      Hasn't posted in this thread in ~12 hours.

He ded.

Cars
      Yesterday 10:56 PM #383
      My one week review:

Pros
      -The car drives wonderfully. The solid steering and suspension feel never gets old.
      -I still get giddy when I have an excuse to drive the car.
      -I love the driver's seat -- the bolsters shape to my torso perfectly. It's like it was custom tailored to me. A lumbar support would have been nice, but the seats are great anyway.
      -Shift linkage is not "smooth," but it is super mechanical and super solid (I have the STI short-shifter installed in my car)
      -Exhaust note is perfect. Deep growl/warble. Not too loud. But slightly menacing.
      -The brakes are easy to modulate and extremely powerful.
      -Excellent new car smell. A little bit of leather smell mixed with the standard new car adhesive smell. It's glorious.
      -Excellent interior room in front and rear seats.
      -EDIT - also, I have driven at highway speeds, and have not deaded yet

Cons
      -The "upgraded" H-K Stereo is extremely sub-par (more on this below).
      -The throttle and clutch are very difficult to modulate and drive smoothly at low speeds. The clutch has a high and sudden take-up. The throttle, regardless of SI-DRIVE setting, has a habit of demanding too much throttle when initially engaging the clutch in first gear. Obviously I need to press the gas more gingerly, but it is difficult. I have owned 10+ manual cars, and this is the hardest to do a smooth, clutchburn-free start in first gear.
      -I have the "upgraded" rear view mirror with homelink, auto-dimming, and compass. The actual mirror portion is mounted so flimsily that you can't see anything in the mirror. It's all a blur. Go over a pebble on the road? The mirror vibrates like crazy. Have music set at moderate volume? Mirror vibrates uncontrollably. Accelerate under full throttle? Mirror vibrates. The service dept. at the dealer claims they tightened it to its max setting. I don't believe it. I will be requesting a replacement mirror. It is literally unusable, particularly at night. It just looks like a blur of headlights.

With respect to the stereo, it's truly bad for an upgraded system. The H-K stereo in my 135i was pretty great. It had a sealed subwoofer, a powerful amp, proper tweeters, etc. In my Audi TTS, it had a $5,000+ custom sound system that was superb.

At the outset, I am a bit of an audiophile, so some of this will sound like nit-picking. Nonetheless, the amp is a low-RMS wattage Class D amplifier. It's a 7-channel amp that is about the side of a paperback novel. On H-K's website they won't even reveal the RMS rating, but they claim it produces "up to 440 watts," and that amount includes the subwoofer. The subwoofer itself is a 10-inch woofer simply installed onto the rear deck. It is totally unenclosed. As a result of its low wattage, lack of enclosure, etc., it does reproduce some frequencies in the low-30hz range, but there is absolutely no "punch." My TTS (which had a 400watt RMS amp driving an enclosed 8inch woofer) felt like you were getting kicked in the ass during a punk song when the drums and bass guitars kicked in. This feels like . . . nothing.

Additionally, the arrangement of the speakers is bizarre. The mid-woofers are located all the way under the windshield, with the large speakers located at the bottom of the front door. The tweeters are located in the speakers in the REAR doors. So listening to a song that has a broad range is almost disorienting. You can barely hear the tweeters.

EQ is totally odd. Bass is WAY over-pushed. So I turned down the "Bass" on the built-in EQ, but it still doesn't sound right. It still sounds muddy -- like the crossover point for the sub should be about 20hz below where it is now. The higher midrange is way underrepresented, and the high range sounds a bit crass, and it is muddled because the tweeters are buried on the floor of the rear seats.

Finally, it lacks the power to really drive the music loud. I listen to my music very loud (at or near max volume), and the songs sound muddy and tinny. I need to turn it down to approximate ~60% volume to restore clarity,

If I decide to keep this car long-term, I might need to upgrade the sound system.

I will say that the stock headunit/interface is super intuitive and easy to use. The older Subaru head-units were nightmares, so this is a good change of pace.

Overall though, I absolutely adore this car!! I just can't get over the "upgraded" sound system.
      Last edited by SchnellFowVay; Yesterday at 11:03 PM.

Cars
      '15 STI & '16 R
      Yesterday 11:39 PM #384

-I have the "upgraded" rear view mirror with homelink, auto-dimming, and compass. The actual mirror portion is mounted so flimsily that you can't see anything in the mirror. It's all a blur. Go over a pebble on the road? The mirror vibrates like crazy. Have music set at moderate volume? Mirror vibrates uncontrollably. Accelerate under full throttle? Mirror vibrates. The service dept. at the dealer claims they tightened it to its max setting. I don't believe it. I will be requesting a replacement mirror. It is literally unusable, particularly at night. It just looks like a blur of headlights.
      It sounds like something is wrong with your mirror. I have the framed one with compass, auto-dimming and HomeLink (not the newer frameless model) that I installed myself and it doesn't do any of that...

The only time it really vibrates is over big bumps in the road or when I had the aftermarket 12 subwoofer in the trunk and I was listening to anything with a ton of bass. Either way, it's never been unusable.

As for your comments about the H/K system, did you really expect anything spectacular? Subaru's radios and stereo systems are notorious for being pretty lousy.

That being said, replacing the radio in mine made all the difference- even with the crummy speakers from the base system that I have.

Cars
      Yesterday 11:48 PM #385
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post

As for your comments about the H/K system, did you really expect anything spectacular? Subaru's radios and stereo systems are notorious for being pretty lousy.

That being said, replacing the radio in mine made all the difference- even with the crummy speakers from the base system that I
      Since I liked the H-K system in my 135i so much, I expected better.

I don't want to change stereos because I don't want to disable the factory navigation, backup camera, Bluetooth, etc.

I am thinking I may try to use the existing wire harnesses (just hack them up a bit) and install an aftermarket amp, speakers, and a powered subwoofer.

The other annoyance is that because the SUb is mounted on the rear deck (instead of somewhere that makes sense), any child seats you have installed rattle like crazy because they are tethered to the rear deck.

Anyway, I love the car, but it is frustrating.

Cars
      Lowered Outback, SVX, GMC Sierra
      Today 12:08 AM #386
      Subaru had decent upgraded stereos once with the McIntosh systems, but they were hilariously unreliable so I feel like they just gave up trying.
      Instagram: calederoo

#FREEPATRIKMAN

13. Member
      Cars
      Today 01:31 AM #387
      The other annoyance is that because the SUb is mounted on the rear deck (instead of somewhere that makes sense), any child seats you have installed rattle like crazy because they are tethered to the rear deck.
      Weird. That's the way the ELS sytem is in the TL, and I haven't noticed any issues with the sub and car seats. It's a hell of a stereo too, but it's *very* dependent on source. It's very true to the recording levels, and as such I find myself having to fiddle with the EQ a lot depending on what I'm listening to which is often as I dart from genre to genre like a hummingbird with ADHD.

with the right music, it hits Hard, but there is a downside:

I'm sure you can find something that sounds decent while retaining the stock HU and (mostly) stock speaker locations. What do other audiophiles with STis do?

Cars
      Lowered Outback, SVX, GMC Sierra
      Today 03:44 AM #388
      Maybe look into an option like this:

http://shop.oemaudioplus.com/2015-ST...A-HKU-1500.htm

See what other owners think of it.

Also I'm not sure if this is the same system you have

You may not personally agree with this guy's preferences on sound but it does show some tools that you may not have been aware of. Or maybe you are I don't know
      Last edited by CaleDeRoo; Today at 03:47 AM.
      Instagram: calederoo

#FREEPATRIKMAN

Cars
      Ghetto35
      Today 07:08 AM #389
      Glad that it's working out. Have you tried removing the mirror from the base on the windshield and inserting a small felt shim? Or is it the issue with the mirror itself?

Bummer about the stereo, but I've not known any Subaru to have a good one.

Oh, I saw a new wingless blue STI on a flatbed tow truck yesterday... I had to check for NV tags. Nope.

Cars
      Never enough boost.
      Today 08:06 AM #390
      I have the HK system and it is an absolute piece of crap. Try changing the equalizer settings. The bluetooth streaming with Iphone 7 and Spotify/Pandora is very good but everything else sucks big time.
      The World is Flat.

Cars
      '15 STI & '16 R
      Today 08:34 AM #391
      Since I liked the H-K system in my 135i so much, I expected better.

I don't want to change stereos because I don't want to disable the factory navigation, backup camera, Bluetooth, etc.

I am thinking I may try to use the existing wire harnesses (just hack them up a bit) and install an aftermarket amp, speakers, and a powered subwoofer.

Anyway, I love the car, but it is frustrating.
      Yea, there are definitely varying degrees of quality that the manufacturers pay for when integrating these systems.

The radio is actually my only real gripe with the car. Mine came with an even ****tier radio, it was the basic radio with only 6 speakers. The radio actually looked like it came out of the 1980s...

I wish I had the $1k laying around for OEMAudioPlus' system for my car: http://oemaudioplus.com/subaru/wrxsti/

If you do decide to swap head units you will want a wiring harness from SVXdc, he is THE man when it comes to anything and everything that is Subaru stereo systems: http://www.ae64.com

Cars
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, Family Truckster
      Today 08:58 AM #392
      I told you the HK system wasn't worth it

By the way, the clutch engagement height can be adjusted.

Cars
      05 S2000 (Sold)
      Today 11:39 AM #393
      There's all sorts of solutions on DIYMA for OEM head unit setups if you're willing to look for them.

Cars
      '15 STI & '16 R
      Today 01:16 PM #394
      Thankfully that awful radio was just a regular double-din unit.

20-pin forward harness from ae64.com with Pioneer harness, digital bypass to remove motion blocks and steering wheel control module:

For good measure, the wiring cross-reference I made:

Not the fanciest Pioneer radio but still way better than the factory unit:

(This pic also shows the LED lights I added for the footwells. The factory ones were $250. I bought a set of $7 LED strips from WalMart and tapped them into the STI logo in front of the shifter.)

I think the only real complication with the newer StarLink cars is you have to also source an aftermarket bezel. It shouldn't be that big a deal to find one at this point. You should also be able to integrate the factory back-up cam to an aftermarket stereo pretty easily.

Cars
      '17 Golf R DSG, '12 Crosstour V6 AWD nav, '09 Civic Si 4d nav
      Today 01:42 PM #395
      Fender stereo in my R is great. Much better for taking clients
      Past: '06 Accord V6, '95 Taurus SHO, '01 ITR, '98 Civic HX CVT

Quote Originally Posted by jamerican1
      Dude, you know you're like the opposite of a purist, right?

Cars
      Never enough boost.
      Today 01:59 PM #396
      Quote Originally Posted by Ross1013 View Post
      Yeap, they're awesome.
      The World is Flat.

23. Member
      Cars
      2014 Mustang GT Premium; 2012 Beetle w/Sunroof
      Today 02:02 PM #397
      Quote Originally Posted by MonsterM View Post
      Yeap, they're awesome.
      I also liked the Fender in my Jetta. Took quite a bit of fine tuning the equalizer but once I did, it sounded great.

Cars
      8 Nozzles and 16 Valves
      Today 02:22 PM #398
      Quote Originally Posted by Ross1013 View Post
      If you're going to drown out your clients, it better be with quality sound and not clipping and awful noise. If the audio don't work, you can always beat them with the spoiler you removed.

Schnell- your experience with the clutch and throttle mapping is something I've noticed on Subaru's, and it drives me nuts.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by bothhandsplease View Post
      Brendan told me to get the best discount, I had to send dick pics. I thought this was standard car buying practice.
      Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
      Brendan and his all knowing heavy breathing baboon are correct.

25. Member
      Cars
      Today 02:47 PM #399
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Schnell- your experience with the clutch and throttle mapping is something I've noticed on Subaru's, and it drives me nuts.
      On my GR, I noticed it was still pretty driveable in the non-S# modes. The throttle response in S# was nuts, and I never really got used to it. the COBB tune had alternate mappings IIRC and that kinda helped.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516