VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Body Work Questions

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  paRADOxical 
#1 · (Edited)
The rear bumper on the C63 had some damage when I bought it: in addition to some scratches, one of the mounting tabs is broken off. Long story short, I found a new OEM one, already primed, cheap. I need to get it sprayed, but also want to do this cheap (car is currently for sale). So here are my questions:

1) Will most body shops want to "blend" this? Or can I possibly save some money by telling them I'll swap the new one on myself, and just bring them the new bumper to spray?
2) If they will want to blend it, how far will they go? There is one scratch on the driver's rear fender (maybe 10" from the end of the bumper), as well as another scratch on the passenger's rear door (about 20" from the end of the rear bumper). Would a typical "blend" go far enough to cover both of these?
3) If the blend WOULDN'T cover these, would having them correct these scratches be pretty easy? The previous owner touched them up with touch up paint, but they look awful.
4) Can I save some money by sanding down these scratches myself?

#2 ·
Many car paint codes have several variants for them (slightly different shades).
If you go to the auto paint Store, ask them to look at the variants for your paint code. Take the chip samples out to your car in the sun and select the one that matches your car best. You may be able to get away with just shooting the bumper with a variant of your paint code.
Blends don't have to go very far, however, if you have other damage that you want shot 10 inches in front of the bumper, it can be easily shot with the blend. It wouldn't hurt if you feathered that scratch out with some sand paper before taking it to them. Every hour you can same them, you save.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.