VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

2.0 TSI Misfire Issues !! Please help!

979 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  bisakm6 
#1 ·
Hey TSI experts,

I have an 09 GTI w/ 185k TSI engine. Purchased the car for cheap as there is an engine issue. To get right to it, the timing chain tensioner did fail on the previous owner and was replaced last year. According to the previous owner, when coming back from lunch, the car would not start. Car was taken to the mechanic, in which metal shavings were found in the oil pan. I have removed the pan and saw no oil shavings in the pump filter or anywhere that I could see. I cannot seem to remove the top aluminum portion of the oil pan off to inspect bearings. Any chance someone knows a trick on that? Everything should be loose as far as I can tell.

Anyways, car pulled up 14 codes (cylinder 1, 2, 3, and 4 misfires, crankshaft position, camshaft position, etc...). The idle is rough. The valves were done (as they were all bent) when the timing chain tensioner was replaced as well. The chain seems a bit loose, not crazy loose but enough for me to notice (not sure if that's normal or not). I did break the oil pump rail/tensioner so maybe that has something to do with it. Instead of purchasing a new chain and tensioner not knowing if that will fix the issue (maybe valves are bent?), what are the next steps I should take?

Get it timed correctly, put it back together and see how it runs?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you!

See less See more
#2 ·
The chain could have skipped a tooth therefor time is an issue and I would replace spark plugs and install the red top coil packs if they aren't already. Then go from there. I wouldn't drive it if you don't have to. Check and see which tensioner is installed, make sure that's up to par. Oil change if necessary and possibly the fuel filter. That's a laundry list of "things to do" but it's your call bud. Maybe the rods or pistons are bent or were ALL the components replaced? I was under the impression that if the tensioner goes, you pretty much need an engine unless it doesn't do permanent damage. Idk. Find out who rebuilt your engine? Maybe see what input they might have.

#3 ·
I do have both timing covers off and while i'm here, might be good to re-time it, replace the oil pump tensioner, and slap it all together. But the tensioner was replaced last year in August. Everything should have been timed correctly with a new tensioner put in. I hate to mess with timing and all that, I don't have the cam tools.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.