Fourtitude.com - Daily Quattro Build(ish)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. Member
      Cars
      1998 A4 Quattro / 2007 Passat Wagon
      03-20-2017 01:43 PM #1
      Hey guys, I just picked up a '98 A4 Quattro and am super excited about it. I'm not the greatest with cars, but I do enjoy them. So I'll be posting updates and progress here for myself, and for those interested. It has 164k on it, so my buddy and I are going to replace the timing belt and water pump this weekend. It also has an exhaust from what the previous owner called a bigger turbo'd Audi.. he never said what one though, and it isn't too bad. The exhaust just kind of drones too much for my taste.

Ordered List
      -Headlights
      -Right Tail Light bulb holder
      -Coilovers

Other plans
      -Remove tint
      -Get a full size right side view mirror (I'm not a fan of the stubby mirror)
      -WHEELS (been searching for fat fives)

Current Problems
      -Sometimes the headlights won't come on and I'll have to flick the brights until they stay on
      -When using the right turn signal sometimes the headlights will cycle off and then back on, sometimes not coming back on.
      -LED Dash doesn't come on all the way/dead pixels maybe?
      -Blown(ish) speakers up front, gotta replace soon so I can listen to tunes.

Thanks for looking, I'm open to any and ALL advice. I'm a noob with cars but enjoy working on them when I have the time and money.

2. Remove Advertisements
      Fourtitude.com
      Advertisements
    3. Member
      Cars
      04-03-2017 04:28 PM #2
      Okay so the headlights I ordered are for the newer b5s (I'm an idiot). I snagged some wiring harness' from the junkyard from a new b5. I have no experience with wiring, is there anyway I can wire these up to the new harness so it would be plug and play?

Timing belt is done, after some trouble of going into town and realizing I didn't install the lower radiator hose all the way and dumping it everywhere.

Coil overs will probably be going on this weekend, and I snagged some wheels/new tires from a neighbor for 200 bucks, they are black which I'm not fond of with a silver machined lip. 225/40/18.... We'll see how they look. I'll give it a good wash as well because we've been getting some nicer weather recently here.

4. Member
      Cars
      1999 A4 Avant
      04-03-2017 11:40 PM #3
      So you bought facelift headlights? Thats a very common mod to do on these cars, and honestly probably the best if you have a prefacelift b5. Very easy to do. Apparently some of the good threads about the conversion are gone. Here are a couple that are left

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...a-Pre-Facelift
      http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec88.shtml

5. Member
      Cars
      04-04-2017 02:19 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by CactusAvant View Post
      So you bought facelift headlights? Thats a very common mod to do on these cars, and honestly probably the best if you have a prefacelift b5. Very easy to do. Apparently some of the good threads about the conversion are gone. Here are a couple that are left

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...a-Pre-Facelift
      http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec88.shtml

Thanks man, dig your build by the way.

Cars
      2000 A4 2.8L Quattro, 2009 CC 4motion VR6, 2011 CC 2.0T
      04-05-2017 10:23 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Jagla View Post
      -LED Dash doesn't come on all the way/dead pixels maybe?
      The LEDs are all wired in series, so one burnt out LED will break the circuit. I recently replaced all my LEDs and created a guide that might help you. Although you probably only have one burnt out, you should replace them all to keep uniformity across the cluster, otherwise you'll end up with one spot brighter than the rest.

Guide Here
      Pioneer AVH-X4700BT \\ Soundstream HRU.4 \\ Hertz HSK 163 \\ Eclipse Ti 12"

7. Member
      Cars
      04-05-2017 01:20 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by jcoleman_11 View Post
      The LEDs are all wired in series, so one burnt out LED will break the circuit. I recently replaced all my LEDs and created a guide that might help you. Although you probably only have one burnt out, you should replace them all to keep uniformity across the cluster, otherwise you'll end up with one spot brighter than the rest.

Guide Here
      Thank you I'll check it out, I'm new to the audi scene and all it's random stuff that goes wrong or the "facelift" switch from 98-99. So all the little stuff helps.

Cars
      98.5 Audi A4 1.8TQM, 92 VW Golf GL
      04-06-2017 11:03 AM #7
      I spliced in facelift headlight harness plugs to my pre facelift like yours, and I believe the wire colors were the same. You will have to trim some metal from the fenders if you havent already done so, to fit the facelift lights.
      1998.5 A4 1.8TQM / FrankenTurbo F4H-L / C2 Motorsports Tuning
      1992 VW Golf GL

9. Member
      Cars
      04-06-2017 09:36 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by xdewaynex View Post
      I spliced in facelift headlight harness plugs to my pre facelift like yours, and I believe the wire colors were the same. You will have to trim some metal from the fenders if you havent already done so, to fit the facelift lights.
      Awesome, gives me some confidence haha. Yeah I'll trim the metal after I have gotten the courage to **** with the wiring.

10. Member
      Cars
      04-06-2017 10:02 PM #9
      Picked these up from my cool neighbor for 200 bucks. He was going to put them on his R32 but he had to get rid of it. Not super into black on black but I like them better than stock for now, we'll see.

11. Member
      Cars
      04-12-2017 12:03 AM #10
      Installed my coilovers this weekend, I'm on a budget and went with Racelands which I'll probably regret. We'll see, anyways here is the only picture I took during the process and how it sits now. I really need to wash it but it has been raining almost everyday so I have been lazy. Sorry for ****ty Iphone pictures.

Next up on the list is figuring out the wiring stuff for my facelift headlights and removing the tint.

Cars
      98.5 Audi A4 1.8TQM, 92 VW Golf GL
      04-12-2017 08:09 PM #11
      Looks a lot better with the new suspension and wheels. Just enough lip on the wheels to break up the black on black.
      1998.5 A4 1.8TQM / FrankenTurbo F4H-L / C2 Motorsports Tuning
      1992 VW Golf GL

13. Member
      Cars
      04-13-2017 10:37 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by xdewaynex View Post
      Looks a lot better with the new suspension and wheels. Just enough lip on the wheels to break up the black on black.
      Yeah, they look a lot better than I thought they would. It doesn't look trashy... to me at least.

14. 04-13-2017 02:50 PM #13
      Why remove tint? Looks super good

15. Member
      Cars
      1999 A4 Avant
      04-13-2017 03:06 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by FattyAlx View Post
      Why remove tint? Looks super good
      Agreed, I like the tint

16. Member
      Cars
      04-13-2017 11:29 PM #15
      I think it looks pretty clean, plus this tint is kind of garbage and hard to see through when it rains. Maybe I'll drive around a bit and see how I like it some more.

17. Member
      Cars
      05-05-2017 10:26 PM #16
      Not much of an update, I just got offered a job finally after searching for a month. So more will happen soon. But I washed her and just couldn't avoid snapping a picture. I love this car! Sorry for potato pic