Fourtitude.com - New roof time, need input
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Cars
      38 cylinders, 17.5 litres
      03-20-2017 12:46 PM #1
      My house needs a new roof, this is the largest co$t upgrade/ maintenance type work to be done that I haven't taken on myself. I've uninstalled and installed roofing before for other people, but I just don't wanna do it anymore and having the right people come out I can actually have a warranty. The first estimate so far blew me away, maybe I just didn't prepare enough I suppose. So get this, for 32,00ft/sq a complete tear off to the plywood and haul-away, up to 3 sheets (4'x8') included for any repairs needed, conversion to pitch vent, new silicon boots for vents, new flashing all around, fiber material barrier with 24" rubber liner around edge, 'W' steel valley treatments, seamless aluminum gutters with down spouts and addition of 12" sun tunnel....
      $27,580+ tax
      Now that's including 35% worth of discounts applied, I'd push for more if I chose this company.

Looking online at what the average rates are for my area via www.homewyse.com the numbers work out, besides the cost of the house this will be the most expensive thing I've ever purchased. It has a true 100% cost covered warranty through the manufacturer, GAF and the installer is certified as their installer, using their own employees and no subcontractors so the risk of a lien due to shady practices and paying medical for an accident to a worker is zero. I have 3 more installers coming to bit, but question is; Have you replaced a roof before and is my first estimate total crack pipe?
      2016 security breach victim #129,248. Formerly karlorado
      IG @_chip_douglas_

2. Remove Advertisements
      Fourtitude.com
      Advertisements
      Cars
      All Mazdas: CX-9, 3, Miata
      03-20-2017 03:39 PM #2
      Without seeing the house, that price seems really high, but I'm no expert. How much $ variance can you have, region to region?

I had the best company in town do mine: Family owned business, been around 50 years. Stellar reputation, many crews working small and large jobs.

25 yr warranty, "architectural" style shingle
      7 roof vents, 2 plumbing stack flashing, 4 new exhaust jacks
      full tear off and haul away
      full "deck armor"
      New flashing on chimney, no valleys on my house.
      6/12 pitch
      plywood rot was an extra, but they didn't find much.

$8K (Canadian)

Pic of house. Not a complex job. There is a bay (bump out) on the back, in addition to what you see.
      They had a crew show up early, and finished the job in 1 day (worked until sunset)

Cars
      03-21-2017 06:45 PM #3
      Had 2 more estimates done today, both companies seemed to be competent and offered what I am looking for. One was $14,800 and the other $17,400, so seems that I'm in the ballpark a bit better now.
      IG @_chip_douglas_

5. Member
      03-22-2017 11:48 AM #4
      Is the warranty a must-have?

If not (and I'm completely serious), during the week find a house that is currently being re-roofed. Stop and talk to the crew lead (or whoever speaks English). Ask him how much for him and his crew to show up on a Saturday to do your house. You will have the materials, the lunch, and the cash to pay them at the end of the day.

Instant discount.

Cars
      03-22-2017 12:01 PM #5
      Yes the warranty, product type and certified installer is a must as I will receive a substantial discount on home insurance. Good call on finding another crew already working, I could likely do that in the upcoming days as the rains seem to have subsided.

Spanish is my 3rd language
      IG @_chip_douglas_

Cars
      2016 S3, 1979 Rabbit
      03-22-2017 09:39 PM #6
      Getting quotes to replace my roof also. Got two quotes so far 15k and 13k. The 15k is using better materials and includes an attic fan to dissapate some of the heat. My roof is about 5600sq ft. Wish I could get insurance to cover some of the cost, we did have a heavy storm last night, might need to check for wind damage