Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      Cars
      '13 BMW 750i, '16 Mustang GT PP, '13 Viper GTS
      03-20-2017 12:13 AM #1
      Well, after a long time dreamin, finally stepped up into a Gen V. The gen 4 went to a good home, a member on the Viper boards, and I'm super excited for him--was really strange to see "my" car parked in front of a different residence. It's kind of weird when you sell to someone whom still has access to you, as you never really feel like the car is gone! Hope he enjoys it in good health on the mean streets of San Diego.

My search for a G5 was initially narrowed to Stryker cars only. Green, Purple, Orange, Red, in that order. I am not a stripe guy, and do not like flat colors; So 90% of the used market, and TAs, were out. Stryker cars rarely pop up for sale and when they do, people tend to want the moon for them. The one stryker green car I had my eye on in Colorado--which had sat on the market for almost a year--sold a few days before my gen 4 moved, and was particularly disappointing. I honestly never even considered a GTS Blue car (even though it is my favorite color), as they literally only made a handful without stripes (less than 10). It just never occurred to me that one would ever pop up. But pop up it did. 1 owner car, 6k miles, had a clear bra on from mile 1, passed R28, and has had R29 performed. Perfect. Additionally, (and this rarely happens) but the previous owner and I shared similar taste; All of his mods were not only appreciated but would of followed the same suit in my possession. It was good to save some money on parts, for once. Previous owner also included all of the oem parts in the sale.

Excited would be an understatement, I'm on pins and needles waiting on the car to be transported from PA to TX. She should be here this week, and I already have parts at the house to round out the bolt ons!

'13 Viper GTS Blue

-Track Package
      --2pc Stoptech rotors
      --295/30/18, 355/30/19 Pirelli PZero Corsa
      --Sidewinder II Matte Black 18/19s
      -Laguna Interior
      --Full Laguna Leather Interior (door cards, dash, center console, steering wheel, shifter, e-brake, etc)
      --Alcantara Headliner and Pillars
      -18 Speaker Harmon Kardon Audio
      --5.4 Channel Logic7
      --4 subwoofers
      -Advanced Aero
      --Front & Rear Full Carbon spoilers

Aftermarket Mods:

-Arrow ECU
      -Belanger Longtubes, Mid-pipes, HF Cats
      -Corsa Catback
      -AP Full Carbon Diffuser
      -Xpel Clearbra [Full front end]
      -GTS Blue Coil Covers
      -Matte Black 'GTS' Emblem
      -Matte Black Gas Door
      -3M Tint

All I have for now are some potato cam cell phone snaps, real pictures to follow when I take delivery. Per usual I will use this thread to track my ownership, build progress, services, events, etc;

Interior shots;

2. Remove Advertisements
      Fourtitude.com
      Advertisements
      Cars
      e-Golf + Boxster
      03-20-2017 12:38 AM #2
      Perfect

I had to google "Stryker" and "R28" but I think I'm up to speed. Enjoyed your orange Viper thread, looking forward to what you do with this
      Want even more hushypushy? Automotive photography and journalism for the sophisticated gearhead: Star Road. [Updated 3/7]

Cars
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      03-20-2017 01:54 AM #3
      Such a gorgeous color, congrats!
      I feel like this has all happened before.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

Cars
      '15 STI & '16 R
      03-20-2017 07:53 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
      Perfect

I had to google "Stryker" and "R28" but I think I'm up to speed. Enjoyed your orange Viper thread, looking forward to what you do with this
      I don't want to Google so here's a free bump, tell me all about it.

6. Member
      Cars
      06 Explorer 04 Forester 97 M3/4/5 91 318iC
      03-20-2017 08:31 AM #5
      The blue with no stripes is amazing!

Cars
      Lowered Outback, SVX, GMC Sierra
      03-20-2017 08:56 AM #6
      Where the **** do they put all those speakers and subs
      Instagram: calederoo

#FREEPATRIKMAN

03-20-2017 09:19 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by CaleDeRoo View Post
      Where the **** do they put all those speakers and subs
      seriously good question.

9. Member
      Cars
      Evo VIII, BMW e12
      03-20-2017 10:05 AM #8
      Incredible color. Definitely IN for this one

Cars
      2014 Wrangler, 2011 Grand Cherokee
      03-20-2017 10:40 AM #9
      Looks awesome.

Question though. In my opinion, the driver's seat bottom center looks like way more than 6k miles worth of wear. Does the leather not hold up very well?
      Current:
      2014 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler Edition, 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee
      Past:
      1990 Mazda Miata, 1998 Land Rover Discovery, 1994 Chevrolet Lumina, 2002 Chevrolet Blazer ZR2, 2013 VW GLI, 2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport.

11. 03-20-2017 10:47 AM #10
      Love the Gen Vs.

Im curious if the prices will hold now that there are no more new Vipers being made.

Nice pick up.
      Boiler Up!

Make it three yards mother****er and we'll have an automobile race

Cars
      392+485=LOL
      03-20-2017 11:43 AM #11
      Gorgeous. If you're ever out and about at a meet or gtg here in town, let me know. I'd love to see the care in person.
      Quote Originally Posted by John Steinbeck
      Sectional football games have the glory and the despair of war, and when a Texas team takes the field against a foreign state, it is an army with banners.

Cars
      1990 VW Corrado, 2002 Audi allroad, 2015 Fiat 500e
      03-20-2017 11:57 AM #12
      Looks very nice! Looking forward to seeing the updates.

Cars
      Heavy Breathing Baboon Hauler
      03-20-2017 12:00 PM #13
      Congrats!
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by bothhandsplease View Post
      Brendan told me to get the best discount, I had to send dick pics. I thought this was standard car buying practice.
      Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
      Brendan and his all knowing heavy breathing baboon are correct.

03-20-2017 12:19 PM #14
      Congrats! Looking forward to the updates and hearing your impressions on the track from your G4 to this G5.

Cars
      '16 Golf R, '08 MDX, '00 rustrunna daily edition
      03-20-2017 12:24 PM #15
      Looks great. In for updates. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cars
      Personal: 2017 SS, 1997 LS1/T56 V90 Work: 2012 Camry L
      03-20-2017 12:30 PM #16
      Yussss, been waiting for the return of slowhatch - congrats! I think something is off with my rods/cones because I haven't been wowed by a blue over the monitor in some time . Same thing happened when I went to pick up my SS, as I initially wanted green but in person the blue was everything.

Looking forward to (hopefully) getting this rectified by your post-detail non-potato pics!
      LS1 Volvo Thread

Previously owned - MkV R32 #3917, 2008 Silverado 1500 VHO 4x4

Cars
      Murica
      03-20-2017 12:33 PM #17
      Very nice, those tires are huge. I love it.
      Instagram - efrie004

Cars
      #dieselgate // '17 R-Line
      03-20-2017 12:38 PM #18
      Does it chirp 3rd?
      Turn down for what?

Cars
      Smells like crayons
      03-20-2017 12:55 PM #19
      That is a downright gorgeous car.
      Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHamster View Post
      Imagine the B4 Passat as the guinea pig/red headed step child that everyone hates.

Cars
      e-Golf + Boxster
      03-20-2017 12:57 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      I don't want to Google so here's a free bump, tell me all about it.
      Stryker is first of all the name of the latest Viper logo (seriously! ), and it's also the prefix for the fancy metallic colors; Stryker Green, Stryker Red, etc.

R28 and R29 are two different recalls (no idea why they are called that though).

Stryker Green is pretty sweet. I dig it

Want even more hushypushy? Automotive photography and journalism for the sophisticated gearhead: Star Road. [Updated 3/7]

03-20-2017 01:02 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by slowhatch View Post

It's beautiful

Cars
      1962 Lincoln Continental
      03-20-2017 01:28 PM #22
      So in.
      Quote Originally Posted by uncleho
      Before you take the tact of denigrating a group, you should empathize with the situation/history and understand the facts. It might not make for great debate on forums, but it helps with personal awareness.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie
      Empathy isn't hard. You don't have to feel what other people feel to be understanding or trust that not everyone has the same perspective.

Cars
      2001 Accord
      03-20-2017 01:37 PM #23
      Congrats! I enjoyed the previous threads.
      Quote Originally Posted by compy222 View Post
      every on ramp was full of the sound of evil thunder consuming the spent souls of thousands of dinosaurs a minute.

Cars
      '13 BMW 750i, '16 Mustang GT PP, '13 Viper GTS
      03-20-2017 03:21 PM #24
      Thank you all for the kind words, just got word the car has touched ground in Houston, going to see her this afternoon!!

Quote Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
      Perfect

Where do I start . The Gen 5 program as a whole was a victim of economic and supply chain issues, common in high complexity, low volume production. When the Vipers went away in 2010 a lot of the suppliers for the car were extremely disappointed and jaded by Dodge leaving them high and dry. As a result, the ones who did keep their heads above water shifted their capacity to serve what they considered higher volume, simpler, and more stable product lines. When Dodge/SRT came knocking for people to tool up for the Gen 5, unsurprisingly, a lot of these vendors told them to pound sand. This left SRT's supply chain to qualify a lot of new vendors for some very important components. Namely, the engine blocks. Long story short, the new vendor missed machining debris in their cleaning steps, and subsequently, qc process, which led to a good amount of blocked oil pumps and channels, starved main bearings, and engine failures. This took Dodge some time to diagnose and nip, as depending on the severity of debris, owners driving habits, and tons of other variables, some cars failed immediately, and other owners didn't have a clue. Just when all was thought to be well, new failures started; And after tons of tear-downs the blocks were ruled out as the issue this go around. So what gives? It seems as if by some stroke of sh*t luck, another fresh vendor with poor process control was not blowing out all of the machining shavings from the car's oil coolers. All vipers engines are run in on the dyno at Arrow (viper engine assembly vendor), and then a second rolling dyno run after the motor and chassis are mated (see below). SRT engineers didn't catch the oil cooler issue because the engine runs at Arrow use the dyno rooms dedicated oil cooler and ancillaries, and the oil coolers dont meet the engine until final assembly. It took a long time to figure out where the hell the debris was coming from since all engines torn down for checks after the initial dyno revealed themselves to be completely perfect.

Long story long, as a result of the above, the R28 recall was assessed on all 2013-2014 Vipers. iI requires owners to bring their vehicle in for a free dealer oil change, upon which, their filter is sent off to SRT for contamination testing. If the tests showed larger than allowed trace elements of bearing material you received a brand new crate motor in your car, free of charge. Furthermore, to alleviate owners concerns of owning a ticking time-bomb, SRT extended ALL 2013 and 2014 Viper power-train warranties to 10 years and 100,000 miles.

The R29 recall address some owner reports of extreme oil consumption. It was actually discovered after long time local Viper enthusiast/racing driver/dealership-owner Ben Keating made a fuss about his personal Gen 5 using copious amounts of oil after stints on Houston's own MSR track. Through his pull he got SRT engineers (eager to see a long reported issue unfolding in front of their eyes on track) to fly down and spend a day data logging and testing his car on track. Amazingly, almost by luck, they discovered that the passenger side valve cover PCV hose was placed low enough that under high G long right-hand sweepers under vaccumm (overrun at high rpm), the pcv systems pulls tons of oil out out of the cover and dumps it directly into the intake tract for the car to burn off. It was enough to burn a quart or so of oil after aggressive sessions. It also showed why some owners (who track heavily), saw aboslutely no oil burn, while others saw immense usage. It all came down to track geometry, and whether there existed a corner on track that was the perfect recipe to create this condition. MSR just so happened to have turn 2 (the carousel) which illuminated the issue when run in reverse.

R29 applies to 2013-2015 Vipers and changes the passenger side valve cover for a revised unit devoid of this pcv issue. This was corrected on 2016+ production.

Quote Originally Posted by shimps1 View Post
      Looks awesome.

Question though. In my opinion, the driver's seat bottom center looks like way more than 6k miles worth of wear. Does the leather not hold up very well?
      This is a common complaint on the full Laguna leather interior packaged cars. The leather itself is perfect and un-damaged, but there is something about the seat area that lends itself very readily to creasing and bunching up like that. It's very irritating and has been observed on every laguna packaged gts that I've seen. I am going to try to weasel it under warranty, but doubt I will get anywhere with it--the car is still under bumper to bumper.

Quote Originally Posted by Juiced6 View Post
      Love the Gen Vs.

Im curious if the prices will hold now that there are no more new Vipers being made.

Nice pick up.
      Don't know, that is the million dollar question and has been discussed ad-naseum on the Viper boards. Common consensus is that once the new 17s have dried up (we're almost there), and it will be nothing but the used market for incoming buyers, prices should go up. This is all conjecture at this point as we didn't see the same trend in 2010 (when the Viper made its first departure for 3 years). Personally I think the ACRs will be regarded as the daytona coupes of their day, they just do something that no other car at any price point can accomplish on track. Its a "how did they even get this thing approved" kind of car. Visceral performance with no electronic massaging, a dying breed.

I will say that if Gen 1 and Gen 2s are any indication, the values should stabilize and trend up. Gen 1s have doubled in value over the past 12 months and Gen 2s have seen a boost in pricing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      Gorgeous. If you're ever out and about at a meet or gtg here in town, let me know. I'd love to see the care in person.
      I'm in the City Centre area, you're always welcome to come check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Very nice, those tires are huge. I love it.
      Fun fact. Gen V vipers have the largest tire footprint of any production vehicle on planet earth--the Veyron comes close!

Quote Originally Posted by SoLo2pointO View Post
      Does it chirp 3rd?
      Old one chirped 4th on drag radials on a prepped surface, so yeah... it should

26. 03-20-2017 04:22 PM #25
      Thanks for clearing up the R28 and R29. I have heard about them but never read too much on it.

I can understand about the vendors. I deal with that crap all the time. Then again we have some vendors who once they get the job will try and squeeze for everything we have. Business ethics
      Boiler Up!

Make it three yards mother****er and we'll have an automobile race

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast