Fourtitude.com - Looking at a 2016 mazda cx5
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Fourtitude.com


    Results 1 to 20 of 20
    1. 03-19-2017 10:24 PM #1
      So the time has come to finally buy a crossover/suv with a kid on the way. We went looking around at the ford escape, toyota rav4, vw tiguan, acura rdx, and am leaning towards the mazda. Better safety rating, higher towing capacity, better fuel milage, lower price. Any TCL'ers with real world input/experience with these cars? Something to look out for? Anything you wish you would have thought of before purchasing a crossover?

      Thanks in advance

      Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

    2. Remove Advertisements
      Fourtitude.com
      Advertisements
    3. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 15th, 2010
      Location
      Henderson Ky
      Posts
      830
      Cars
      2013 Corolla S, auto with special edition pumpkin spice paint
      03-19-2017 10:30 PM #2
      First thing to realize when you're buying a crossover or small SUV is that you're not gaining a ton of passenger nor cargo space, as opposed to your regular old midsized sedan or hatchback/wagony thing. You sit higher, maybe you got 4WD, other than that, don't expect to have much more space than you might already have in your current car (don't know what you have though).

      If you want real cargo space, if you're planning to get another kid and/or you have a big dog or whatever, just bite the bullet and get a minivan or bigger SUV.

      That's nothing against the CX5, they are slick and I would totally drive one myself.

      My wife has had a RAV4 for 7 years. We've got two kids and a 80 pound dog. Long trips aren't possible, even with the cargo carrier pod on top. We end up having to kennel the dog. It's just not enough space. It's great for day to day bombing around going to soccer games and church, mall runs and blah blah. But for long trips, even day trips, I wish we had a van. All.the.time.
      Last edited by Roboturner913; 03-19-2017 at 10:35 PM.

    4. Member Ross1013's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 25th, 2012
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      12,597
      Cars
      '17 Golf R DSG, '12 Crosstour V6 AWD nav, '09 Civic Si 4d nav
      03-19-2017 10:49 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Roboturner913 View Post
      First thing to realize when you're buying a crossover or small SUV is that you're not gaining a ton of passenger nor cargo space, as opposed to your regular old midsized sedan or hatchback/wagony thing. You sit higher, maybe you got 4WD, other than that, don't expect to have much more space than you might already have in your current car (don't know what you have though).

      If you want real cargo space, if you're planning to get another kid and/or you have a big dog or whatever, just bite the bullet and get a minivan or bigger SUV.

      That's nothing against the CX5, they are slick and I would totally drive one myself.

      My wife has had a RAV4 for 7 years. We've got two kids and a 80 pound dog. Long trips aren't possible, even with the cargo carrier pod on top. We end up having to kennel the dog. It's just not enough space. It's great for day to day bombing around going to soccer games and church, mall runs and blah blah. But for long trips, even day trips, I wish we had a van. All.the.time.
      This. Even with the roof box, our Crosstour struggles to accommodate the kid, dog, and everyone's stuff for a week at the beach. And that's a bigger car, at least in terms of passenger volume.
      Past: '06 Accord V6, '95 Taurus SHO, '01 ITR, '98 Civic HX CVT

      Quote Originally Posted by jamerican1
      Dude, you know you're like the opposite of a purist, right?

    5. Senior Member jnm2.0t's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2nd, 2005
      Location
      Sunnyvale CA
      Posts
      25,646
      Cars
      Lighten up Francis
      03-19-2017 11:57 PM #4
      You guys are talking about 2 kids and a dog not fitting in a crossturd and a rav4. He's talking about 1 kid and unknown dogs and unknown toad trip desires with the dog. I could take my 1 kid and 1 70# dog and 2 bikes in the X1 on a road trip if I really wanted to with the roof box. I don't want to, cause the dog would be a pita when we got there, but we could.
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

      Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit5GTI
      You have cornered the entire 'I hate Ford Fusions' market around here
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio!
      Pure electric vehicles will never fully replace fueled (pure ICE or PHEV) vehicles.

    6. 03-20-2017 12:56 AM #5
      Hey thanks guys, just one kid at the moment, no dog in the foreseeable future. It is good know that this vehicle might not be as roomy as we might think it should be. I don't think the wife is ready to accept a mini van yet though haha.

      Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

    7. Member Tokyosmash's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 10th, 2007
      Location
      East Africa for a bit
      Posts
      3,394
      Cars
      2000 Focus Kona, 2016 Focus RS, 2016 Explorer Sport.
      03-20-2017 01:02 AM #6
      We had one for just about a year before moving up, just didn't have enough space for the kids and assorted kid stuff, it was a good vehicle though, got good fuel economy too.

    8. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 25th, 2012
      Location
      Massachusetts
      Posts
      788
      Cars
      2013 CSG 4dr R, Nav/Sunroof
      03-20-2017 06:57 AM #7
      If you want something that will grow with you and last test drive a CX9 Sport.


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

    9. Member XClayX's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 30th, 2005
      Location
      Minnesota
      Posts
      4,909
      Cars
      2016 Mazda CX5 Touring AWD, 2001 W.E Jetta
      03-20-2017 08:16 AM #8
      I have one and generally like it. Just an FYI, there's a 2016 model and 2016.5 model. The .5 add's heated seats to the touring trim as well as navigation I think and maybe another little item. Otherwise its only available on the GT. The 2017 is a redesign slated for spring some time.

      The vehicle NEEDS the back up camera and blind spot monitoring. Don't get a version without it. ( think they mostly all come with it outside of sport).
      I'd get the largest motor 2.5.
      I average about 25mpg all city (I rarely drive). My 2016 has 11500 miles on it.
      Sport mode is pretty neat, really livens up the car.


      The CX-9 is a lot bigger with turbo motors etc. Worth considering too.

    10. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 23rd, 2005
      Location
      Columbus, Ohio
      Posts
      11,645
      Cars
      2016 Mazda CX-5 2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2013 Ford Focus Electric
      03-20-2017 11:05 AM #9
      One kid here, no dogs. This vehicle is perfect for us as the family hauler. I agree a minivan is the way to go if you see additional creatures joining your family down the road. But we've made a number of out of town trips to the in-laws and hauled a bunch of stuff and Ikea furniture with no problems. The CX-5 is has pretty good driving dynamics, great fuel economy, and has been comfortable for long trips. Ours is a fully optioned GT with i-Activesense that has FCW/AEB/ACC/LDW. I would absolutely buy it again, but the 2017 model that will be out next week looks even better.

    11. 03-20-2017 11:31 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Orangelefty View Post
      Hey thanks guys, just one kid at the moment, no dog in the foreseeable future. It is good know that this vehicle might not be as roomy as we might think it should be. I don't think the wife is ready to accept a mini van yet though haha.

      Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
      Find a friend with a larger stroller. Ask him to borrow it while you go look at cars. See how the stroller fits and what space is left over for pack n' play, bags and other items for trips or weekends away.

      1 kid and a 60lb dog here. I have a 15 GTI and wife has a 15 Tiguan. Passenger and cargo space is very very close. A weekend away even without the dog is tough, packing the vehicle to capacity. Next vehicle will be larger.

      As others have said, a midsize sedan has more usable space.

    12. Member gmeover's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 19th, 2008
      Location
      Williamsburg, VA
      Posts
      175
      Cars
      2014 CX-5 AWD
      03-20-2017 12:56 PM #11
      I've put 102k miles on my '14 CX-5, and my dad has had a '16.5 for ~6 months. No major issues with either cars. The '16.5 refresh was a significant upgrade for the interior. The infotainment system is a lot better, and overall material choice and design is nicer. That being said, the interior in mine isn't terrible, its just that the new ones are a lot nicer. The gas mileage is good, and the driving dynamics are fantastic. Unilateral Phase Detractor has done a good job summarizing my sentiments about the car.

      While I don't have any kids or dogs, I can say that there is a large amount of space that can be used, if you pack efficiently. I haven't tried fitting strollers or anything like that in it, but I have fit 4 adults and all their luggage for week-long trips to the beach. I've also used it for Ikea trips and moving my fiance into our new place. It doesn't have a cavernous amount of space, but I find it enough to get by with.

      As Shawshank redemption mentioned, it may be best to borrow a large stroller and car seat and test fit the vehicles you're looking at.

    13. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 7th, 2011
      Location
      Lusby, MD
      Posts
      404
      Cars
      1999 Civic EX, 2013 F-150 FX4 Ecoboost
      03-20-2017 01:35 PM #12
      My girl has a 2016 and I drive it frequently. It is PLENTY of space for one kid. Out of all the Compact SUVs we looked at (Rav4, CRV, Escape) the CX-5 drove the best. It has a nice sporty feel to it with a nice fat steering wheel.

      Minor Gripes:

      The side mirrors are weirdly shaped so I find it hard to get them in an ideal position but it does have blind spot monitoring.

      The center console wheel interface for the infotainment is different. I don't use it enough to be proficient so it could get better with more use.

      Center console latch broke and is a common problem.

      Wish it had a little more power but it is adequate.
      Past cars: 1995 Toyota Tercel DX, 2006 Scion xA, 1999 Honda Civic Si, 1999 Acura Integra LS, 2008 VW Jetta, 2011 VW GTi, 2014 Evo X, 2009 CRV EX-L, 2011 F-150 FX4 Ecoboost

    14. Senior Member dunhamjr's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 21st, 2002
      Location
      Kent, WA
      Posts
      25,105
      Cars
      14 Mazda6 Touring, 05 Sienna LE, 04 Saab 9-5W, 93 S4, 02 Ninja 250
      03-20-2017 02:52 PM #13
      edit:
      removed, cause just gonna start isht


      i like the mazda.
      epitome
      Mr. Money Mustache

      2.0 TDI "BHW" engine partout - @tdiclub @vwvortex

    15. 03-20-2017 03:09 PM #14
      That stroller idea is a great idea! Thanks guys, I'll be trying that out this weekend.

      Winkle and gmeover: thanks for the real world experience with it!

      Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

    16. Member slirt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 5th, 2004
      Location
      Moz Angeles, Califas
      Posts
      3,347
      Cars
      '07 Z4 Coupe (2012-), '86 VW Cabriolet (2009-); '97 Audi A4 1.8tq (2003-12), '85 VW GTI (1995-2003)
      03-20-2017 03:59 PM #15
      i should hope you'd be able to score quite a good deal on a 2016 CX5 cuz the all-new 2017 is just around the corner now... "Spring 2017"

      https://www.mazdausa.com/vehicles/2017-cx-5


    17. 03-20-2017 04:10 PM #16
      All I have to add is this is by far the best looking vehicle in it's segment. They really nailed the exterior styling.

    18. Senior Member dunhamjr's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 21st, 2002
      Location
      Kent, WA
      Posts
      25,105
      Cars
      14 Mazda6 Touring, 05 Sienna LE, 04 Saab 9-5W, 93 S4, 02 Ninja 250
      03-20-2017 04:12 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Orangelefty View Post
      That stroller idea is a great idea! Thanks guys, I'll be trying that out this weekend.

      Winkle and gmeover: thanks for the real world experience with it!

      Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
      something i want to note here, now that the stroller thing has been brought up.

      we have two big strollers. one a jogger/infant carrier 'system', one a front/back double stroller.
      we also have a smaller 'umbrella' stroller.

      the two large strollers dont come with us, essentially ever anymore now that the youngest is 2yrs+.
      in the past almost 5 yrs, we have had the jogger with us maybe 10-15 times. MOSTLY on the two road trips, and a few times to the zoo. but once the kid can hold their head up well (6-12mo maybe)... pretty much not used anymore.
      the double stroller even fewer times.

      the umbrella stroller comes with us every time though. but as the name suggests, its large umbrella size. i could probably put it in a miata (never tried).
      however. we also, hardly ever use the umbrella stroller now that the youngest kid is able to walk well.

      so yeah. you need room for the big stroller, now. but you probably wont use it as much as you think you will, so dont overbuy just to fit that one piece of equipment.
      epitome
      Mr. Money Mustache

      2.0 TDI "BHW" engine partout - @tdiclub @vwvortex

    19. Member gmeover's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 19th, 2008
      Location
      Williamsburg, VA
      Posts
      175
      Cars
      2014 CX-5 AWD
      03-20-2017 05:29 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by dunhamjr View Post
      something i want to note here, now that the stroller thing has been brought up.

      we have two big strollers. one a jogger/infant carrier 'system', one a front/back double stroller.
      we also have a smaller 'umbrella' stroller.

      the two large strollers dont come with us, essentially ever anymore now that the youngest is 2yrs+.
      in the past almost 5 yrs, we have had the jogger with us maybe 10-15 times. MOSTLY on the two road trips, and a few times to the zoo. but once the kid can hold their head up well (6-12mo maybe)... pretty much not used anymore.
      the double stroller even fewer times.

      the umbrella stroller comes with us every time though. but as the name suggests, its large umbrella size. i could probably put it in a miata (never tried).
      however. we also, hardly ever use the umbrella stroller now that the youngest kid is able to walk well.

      so yeah. you need room for the big stroller, now. but you probably wont use it as much as you think you will, so dont overbuy just to fit that one piece of equipment.
      This is a good point - If you have trouble getting a large stroller in the back, the rear seat folds 40/20/40, so you may be able to put down the middle rear seat and make it work for a year.

    20. Member titleist1976's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 25th, 2002
      Posts
      11,170
      Cars
      Mini R55 S, Mazda Miata NA, Honda Pilot
      03-20-2017 05:38 PM #19
      Congrats on procreating! We had an 7th gen Accord when our first was born. It was plenty large enough for us as the family car. We got leather so puke cleanup was easy (never actually happened). The only stroller that wouldn't fit easily was a jogger. Since the jogger never went with us anyways, it wasn't an issue. Bring a stroller to make sure it fits the trunk and a rear facing seat with you to see if they fit with your front seats in position. I liked to travel light. It's different now with my wife and two girls. We had the Pilot completely loaded on our last trip to LA a few weeks ago, for a long weekend trip.

    21. Member mittencuh's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 25th, 2014
      Location
      Colorado Springs
      Posts
      1,049
      Cars
      '17 GLI DSG
      03-20-2017 06:06 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by titleist1976 View Post
      Congrats on procreating! We had an 7th gen Accord when our first was born. It was plenty large enough for us as the family car. We got leather so puke cleanup was easy (never actually happened). The only stroller that wouldn't fit easily was a jogger. Since the jogger never went with us anyways, it wasn't an issue. Bring a stroller to make sure it fits the trunk and a rear facing seat with you to see if they fit with your front seats in position. I liked to travel light. It's different now with my wife and two girls. We had the Pilot completely loaded on our last trip to LA a few weeks ago, for a long weekend trip.
      My 8th gen Accord is a great car for kids. Plenty of room for rear facing child seats. I couldn't comfortably fit a rear facing convertible seat behind my wife's seat (she's 5'8") in the CX-5.

      Honestly from all the vehicles we looked at last year, crossovers are genuinely terrible for rear facing child seats. About the only one that had plenty of room is the Cherokee, and it's definitely on the larger size. My GLI and Accord are much better suited.

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •