VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Why is this so DIFFICULT - Picking a New Car...

8K views 78 replies 40 participants last post by  88c900t 
#1 ·
Based on the following information, what would you recommend?

Current Vehicles
- 2015 GLI DSG - Lease (ending this year) not a fan of how cheap it feels
- 2016 GTI 6 speed - Purchased

The GLI lease was a replacement for a 2013 328i M-Sport 6 speed. Due to commuting needs I sold the BMW and picked up a GLI lease. Having the GTI for a fun car I'm looking for something a bit more comfortable for commuting, road trips, and the local home improvement store (I'm 6'4"). Everything below is my personal opinion, if you believe they are unfounded feel free to defend your stance.

New or CPO (2015+)
$50K Max, $40K would be better
Most likely a purchase, lease would have to be 15k per year
4 door sedan or Midsize+ SUV
Must have lane keep and radar cruise.
I would like air conditioned seats but the lack of wouldn't stop me from purchasing a vehicle.

My thoughts
- New Q5: new platform, not sure on pricing or options
- CPO A6 3.0T - leading contender currently although i haven't sat or driven one.
- New A4 - Not sold on the interior, for some reason the steering wheel bothers me... pity i know.
- New or Used GLC300 - sport models look nice, interior is same as C class which is a plus.
- C300 - nice interior but i think i like the GLC more
- Volvo XC60 - not much info on this yet
- CPO 340i - pretty much the same as my old 328i
- ATS - too small inside
- New Tiguan - looks okay on paper curious to see how it builds out
- CPO Macan or Macan S - might be a bit pricey
- Infiniti Q50 - steering with driver assist isn't great.
- Passat - built just like the Jetta
- X3 - gives off a girly vibe
- X1 - small
- X5 - large and expensive
- Tahoe/Yukon - too large
- Mazda 3/6 - meh
- Accord Hybrid - not bad but gives off an appliance vibe
- Golf R - not sure why if i already have a GTI
- Explorer - sport is nice but seems a bit pricey
- IS300 - too small
- GS350 - my boss has one, seems like they lease well but not sold on it.

What am I missing? I usually know exactly what I want next but nothing is calling my name.

See less See more
#34 ·
Someone mentioned the A4 Allroad, I'll add the VW All Track, in the top trim level it's a very nice place to be.

Volvo is a rising star these days, I would check out the XC60, I'm unsure if it'll fit your pricing needs.

A couple other suggestions:

- GMC Acadia (I love the new looks, the size is right for me)
- CTS V-sport (get one CPO'd, a hell of a car for the money)
- Lincolns - all of them. Look with an open mind, you might be impressed.
- Chevy SS - has all your requirements (including ventilated seats) for under $50k, maybe under $40k if they run the 20% sale again.

#36 · (Edited)
61k on my wife's 2.0T Q5, not a single day in the shop outside of scheduled maintenance.

My buddy put 90k on his 2.0T A5 (with 75% of it chipped), then sold it to his brother who's put another 15k on it. All with no engine problems, other than one bad coil pack.

#37 ·
for the germans, CPO 340i or A6 3.0T, depending on your size preferences there.

For the reliable drivers japanese midsize CUV there's really only the MDX, get the base shawd if you want to save a bit, 41k street or 45k street with the tech pkg. I never thought the german equivalents were worth the money at 20-25k more. The Q7 maybe, if youre careful with the options, but still solidly mid 60k.

#41 ·
Again stage 2 sq5

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

#52 ·
The more I research luxury cars the more upset I get at these stupid option packages. Nearly all Audis require the prestige line to even have the option to purchase the driver assist package. Mercedes... package 3 which is 6-8k depending on the model. BMW... they have 3 different driver assist packages and require you to get all three before you get lane keep.

But somehow a VW or even a Honda Civic can be equip with these option for hardly any money.

Maybe I need to venture out beyond German luxurt.

#54 ·
Totally this, the German autos will charge you dearly for these itemized features. Was seriously looking at Audi this weekend (A7's) and ended up driving home a leased returned 2015 TLX v6 w/tech package instead and couldn't be happier. As much as I would have loved be in the Audi their options are just way too ridiculous and I just couldn't justify paying all that extra $$$ for it. Yeah I could have gotten a CPO for a little cheaper but I'm no where near confident enough to buy a used Audi even if it's only 2-3 yrs old. I like to keep my cars for a bit.

#57 ·
I'm just curious: Why does OP want all the new driver assist features so badly so as to eliminate vehicles solely on this criteria?

#66 ·
I feel like it would be a great feature for my road trips to GA and New England. Nothing grinds my gears more then having to adjust or turn off cruise control because the people in front of you can't keep a constant speed.

Not sure what you mean...in the '18 Q5 order guide I sent you, you get "some" driver assist aids at each trim level, with "more" added as you step up in trim levels. Same with the Q3. There are no "separate" Driver Assist packages on the Q5. Or are you looking at B9 chassis stuff? For the B9s, they do require Prestige, but that's the only one. C7.5, A8 chassis, etc. don't need Prestige (though they usually need some trim level above the base, which is pretty typical).

I do know what you're saying though: Mercedes bundled a bunch of stuff together for the W205 C-class last year as a big $9k package where you couldn't get a lot of stuff a la carte; for '18 they've broken a lot out again.
In regards to the Q5, I didn't see any lane keep or radar cruise control on the ordering guide. The other assists really don't interest me ie. city safe, rear traffic alert, etc.

Mercedes is out of control, 9k on a C-class is crazy.

Can't argue with the above...

Still, OP might consider the 3-Series GT (not sure if it's been suggested yet? Seems to meet OP criteria). It's one of the cheapest (slow seller), ugliest BMW's around and therefore usually sell accordingly. Might be able to score a loaded model in his desired price range....

My wife & I have been delighted with ours so far (poverty spec 328i, save M Sport package). But we're just plebs who've never enjoyed the luxury car realm and probably still don't know what we're missing... :p
Although I'm sure they are wonderful cars but I just can't get past the looks.

#68 ·
"Having the GTI for a fun car I'm looking for something a bit more comfortable for commuting, road trips, and the local home improvement store (I'm 6'4")."

You already have a go fast, FWD hot hatch. If you have any need for something good off road or in the snow, but still has the German luxury you want, look no further than an X5d. Might be a little expensive but they are great for light truck dirty work, long road trips, and when put in Sport suspension and Manual Sport settings it can still hunker down and rip like a fat hatch should.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

#74 ·
Have you considered a new JGC loaded up? My parents have an Outlander that has adaptive cruise, etc....it's a great vehicle and has been problem free for the past 3 years. Lot's of bells and whistles for a little over $40K, plus the lease out really well.

#78 ·
The JGC is a great ride as well, the last 3-4 years of them anyways. My mother has had two generations of Lexus RX, and an MDX as far as SUV's go and I must say I like the Jeep the most. If you get the Overland/summit whatever the highend trim is it is an American take on the range rover for considerably less money (probably 85% of the experience). The pentastar 6 with the 8spd is fantastic and returns good MPG for the type of vehicle it is.

The only let down so far is honestly the dealership experience, its simply low rent.

#79 ·
New or CPO (2015+)
$50K Max, $40K would be better
Most likely a purchase, lease would have to be 15k per year
4 door sedan or Midsize+ SUV
Must have lane keep and radar cruise.
I would like air conditioned seats but the lack of wouldn't stop me from purchasing a vehicle.

My thoughts
- New Q5: new platform, not sure on pricing or options
- CPO A6 3.0T - leading contender currently although i haven't sat or driven one.
- New A4 - Not sold on the interior, for some reason the steering wheel bothers me... pity i know.
- New or Used GLC300 - sport models look nice, interior is same as C class which is a plus.
- C300 - nice interior but i think i like the GLC more
- Volvo XC60 - not much info on this yet
- CPO 340i - pretty much the same as my old 328i
- ATS - too small inside
- New Tiguan - looks okay on paper curious to see how it builds out
- CPO Macan or Macan S - might be a bit pricey
- Infiniti Q50 - steering with driver assist isn't great.
- Passat - built just like the Jetta
- X3 - gives off a girly vibe
- X1 - small
- X5 - large and expensive
- Tahoe/Yukon - too large
- Mazda 3/6 - meh
- Accord Hybrid - not bad but gives off an appliance vibe
- Golf R - not sure why if i already have a GTI
- Explorer - sport is nice but seems a bit pricey
- IS300 - too small
- GS350 - my boss has one, seems like they lease well but not sold on it.

What am I missing? I usually know exactly what I want next but nothing is calling my name.
Holy cow, that's alot of..... variation :what:

At least I only relegated myself to reliable manual upmarket sedans:laugh:.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.