VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Why is this so DIFFICULT - Picking a New Car...

8K views 78 replies 40 participants last post by  88c900t 
#1 ·
Based on the following information, what would you recommend?

Current Vehicles
- 2015 GLI DSG - Lease (ending this year) not a fan of how cheap it feels
- 2016 GTI 6 speed - Purchased

The GLI lease was a replacement for a 2013 328i M-Sport 6 speed. Due to commuting needs I sold the BMW and picked up a GLI lease. Having the GTI for a fun car I'm looking for something a bit more comfortable for commuting, road trips, and the local home improvement store (I'm 6'4"). Everything below is my personal opinion, if you believe they are unfounded feel free to defend your stance.

New or CPO (2015+)
$50K Max, $40K would be better
Most likely a purchase, lease would have to be 15k per year
4 door sedan or Midsize+ SUV
Must have lane keep and radar cruise.
I would like air conditioned seats but the lack of wouldn't stop me from purchasing a vehicle.

My thoughts
- New Q5: new platform, not sure on pricing or options
- CPO A6 3.0T - leading contender currently although i haven't sat or driven one.
- New A4 - Not sold on the interior, for some reason the steering wheel bothers me... pity i know.
- New or Used GLC300 - sport models look nice, interior is same as C class which is a plus.
- C300 - nice interior but i think i like the GLC more
- Volvo XC60 - not much info on this yet
- CPO 340i - pretty much the same as my old 328i
- ATS - too small inside
- New Tiguan - looks okay on paper curious to see how it builds out
- CPO Macan or Macan S - might be a bit pricey
- Infiniti Q50 - steering with driver assist isn't great.
- Passat - built just like the Jetta
- X3 - gives off a girly vibe
- X1 - small
- X5 - large and expensive
- Tahoe/Yukon - too large
- Mazda 3/6 - meh
- Accord Hybrid - not bad but gives off an appliance vibe
- Golf R - not sure why if i already have a GTI
- Explorer - sport is nice but seems a bit pricey
- IS300 - too small
- GS350 - my boss has one, seems like they lease well but not sold on it.

What am I missing? I usually know exactly what I want next but nothing is calling my name.

See less See more
#3 ·
You are correct, the car would be a lot faster but the package itself is the same.

SUV: I think both of those are too large for my liking
CUV: SQ5 used is the old body style, new is out of my budget
Sedan: 550i - amazing package but battery and general maintenance cost can't be ignored. S4 has the same issue as the SQ5.

#38 ·
New Ridgeline.
I'm not much of a truck guy but the Ridgeline does look pretty good.

I've discussed this option with the wife but if I'm going to sacrifice MPGs i'd like to increase storage capacity.

A demo or post lease Q7 if you want something big and offensive. :thumbup:
I've also thought about this although I think they're to large for my liking. Something about buying the old body style in this case has me hesitant.

White Golf R
Thought about it but the having a GTI and R seems silly. If the GTI is traded in then the wife won't have a car.

I think you would really enjoy the A6, it is a fantastic sedan. Drives smaller than it is, plenty spacious, hauls serious ass, comfortable and good looking. Go drive one.
I hope to find a good example to drive locally soon. Finding a prestige/premium plus 3.0t around Charlotte seems a bit difficult.

I'd go for an Avant if I could afford it. :thumbup:
I'll have to think about this one. Hadn't crossed my mind to consider the A6 avant or All-Track.

A5/S5 sportback or a 430i/435i/440i gran coupe...best of both worlds
I'm going to check out the A5 sportback but a lot of times you give up headroom in the four door coupes.

Buy the ctsv wagon sitting at greenwich Cadillac. Friend of mine just returned off lease. It's mint.
Now that sounds like a sweet ride but I think i'm going to pass on the CTS-V.

Rav-4 hybrid or its Lexus cousin. If mpg is a value to you. Then use money saved in a nice vacation.

Have you test drove those on your list or ruled on them based on interwebz reviews?
Thought about the Rav-4 as well as the Prius Prime as I have free charging at work. For some reason there are no primes in Charlotte for me to go look at.

I'm in the same boat as you pretty much. Right now my top picks:

New Volvo XC60 - Love it inside and out based on early reviews. Success of the XC90 gives me confidence too.
Q5 / SQ5 - Either a deal on the outgoing or the newest one coming up
Alfa Romeo Stelvio - Just worried about reliability... but everything else looks good.
GLC - I'm a fan of the MB interiors and MB in general, I just shy away from pricing in the past so we will see.

Value:
New CX-5 - Looks good, nice size, supposedly the new one is much quieter. Can get it loaded for much less than the others
Lincoln MKX - Really well reviewed from what I've seen, has a nice engine option in the ecoboost with a ton of torque, looks to lease well
Acura RDX - Love the size, everything you need, looks good but a bit bland.
I'm interested in seeing the new XC60 and Q5 in person. I think the new SQ5 will be a bit to expensive. I think the CX-5 is a bit small but I could be wrong? The wife won't let me get an Acura (long story) and I'm not sure I can get over the Lincoln stigma.

I think the new car decision is so difficult nowadays because there are just so many good options now. Everything has just come such a long way from even just a few years ago. It used to be so easy to just have a couple on your radar because most others were awful...now, it's switched. MANY great cars, very few awful ones.
Very true!

#9 ·
SQ5

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

#14 ·
I think you would really enjoy the A6, it is a fantastic sedan. Drives smaller than it is, plenty spacious, hauls serious ass, comfortable and good looking. Go drive one.

#17 ·
Find a Ford Flex with the turbo V6 and AWD -- -- I'm 6'4" and the wife and kids are all over 6', we fit without having to move the front seats up -- greatest road trip car out there and exceptional performance and with the second and third seats down (we've only had the third seat up 3 times in 6 years) it will make the occasion trip to the home improvement/Christmas tree run.

We've bought our 2011 brand new and other than a kinked drain line from the sun roof , it has been trouble free. We just got back from the Colorado River 500 miles round trip, towing 2 sea doos (tows my race car on occasion too), and it kicked over 89,000 miles.

Have been thinking about trading it in for something newer recently, but the wife loves the damn thing so much that she keeps nixing all the deals I propose

#22 ·
Buy the ctsv wagon sitting at greenwich Cadillac. Friend of mine just returned off lease. It's mint.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

#24 ·
I'm in the same boat as you pretty much. Right now my top picks:

New Volvo XC60 - Love it inside and out based on early reviews. Success of the XC90 gives me confidence too.
Q5 / SQ5 - Either a deal on the outgoing or the newest one coming up
Alfa Romeo Stelvio - Just worried about reliability... but everything else looks good.
GLC - I'm a fan of the MB interiors and MB in general, I just shy away from pricing in the past so we will see.

Value:
New CX-5 - Looks good, nice size, supposedly the new one is much quieter. Can get it loaded for much less than the others
Lincoln MKX - Really well reviewed from what I've seen, has a nice engine option in the ecoboost with a ton of torque, looks to lease well
Acura RDX - Love the size, everything you need, looks good but a bit bland.

#25 ·
I think the new car decision is so difficult nowadays because there are just so many good options now. Everything has just come such a long way from even just a few years ago. It used to be so easy to just have a couple on your radar because most others were awful...now, it's switched. MANY great cars, very few awful ones.

#29 ·
If price is a consideration, you should look at a Buick Enclave. This size SUV seems about right for what you are looking for, and they are trying to push them out the door right now. There is an incentive program (in most areas) in which you get 16% off MSRP, which is a considerable savings. (About $8000 or more off for one loaded with options). The vehicle rides nice, and fits into the "near-luxury" category. It also gets decent mileage for the size of vehicle, and the powertrain is fairly reliable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.