Fourtitude.com - Volvo's first EV coming in 2019 with 250 miles of range and a $35,000-$40,000 price tag
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      Cars
      1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT, 1994 Miata R-Package
      03-19-2017 07:59 PM #1

via Automotive News
      GENEVA -- Volvo's first-ever electric vehicle will likely have a range of at least 250 miles and a price starting between $35,000 and $40,000 when it debuts in 2019.

Lex Kerssemakers, CEO of Volvo Car USA, said so in comments with U.S. journalists on the sidelines of the Geneva auto show.

"That's what I put in as the prerequisite for the United States," Kerssemakers said. "If I want to make a point in the United States, if I want to make volumes, that's what I believe I need."

That vehicle's form remains unknown; the company is set to decide in the coming months whether it will use an existing nameplate or a standalone model for its first EV. Regardless, this leaves Volvo with a dramatically condensed timetable in which to develop the vehicle and get it to market.

Kerssemakers acknowledged the time crunch but said using Volvo's modular platforms would allow it to meet this schedule.

Volvo's larger SPA platform underpins the current XC90 crossover, its 90 series sedan and wagons, and the redesigned XC60 that debuted this year in Geneva.

The next-generation S60 sedan will also use SPA. The automaker's smaller CMA platform will carry the XC40 compact crossover due on sale in early 2018.

Regardless of the vehicle's size, U.S. consumers won't be persuaded to go electric unless EVs have far more electric range than they actually need, Kerssemakers said. "Why are people reluctant to buy a full electric car?" he said. "It's between the ears. It's that they believe there's not sufficient range."
      Updated 4/19:

Quote Originally Posted by Press Release
      VOLVO’S FIRST ALL-ELECTRIC CAR WILL BE MADE IN CHINA

Volvo Cars, the premium car maker, will build its first fully electric car in China, the company announced today at Auto Shanghai in China.

The all-new model will be based on Volvo’s Compact Modular Architecture (CMA) for smaller cars, and will be available for sale in 2019 and exported globally from China, Volvo said.

The decision to make its first electric car in China highlights the central role China will play in Volvo’s electrified future and underlines China’s growing sophistication as a manufacturing centre for the automotive industry.

“Volvo Cars fully supports the Chinese government’s call for cleaner air as outlined in the latest five-year plan. It is fully in-line with our own core values of environmental care, quality and safety,” said Håkan Samuelsson, chief executive of Volvo Cars. “We believe that electrification is the answer to sustainable mobility.”

China is the world’s largest sales market for electrified cars, and has ambitious targets to expand sales of fully electric and hybrid cars in order to address congestion and air-quality issues in its cities.

Volvo has a commitment to sell a total of 1m electrified scars – including fully electric cars and hybrids – by 2025. It is developing a fully electric car on its Scalable Product Architecture (SPA) as well. The Swedish company also plans to offer plug-in hybrid versions of every model.

Volvo has three manufacturing facilities in China: in Daqing, which makes its 90 series cars; Chengdu, which makes its 60 series cars; and Luqiao, which will make its 40 series cars.
      Last edited by Ryukein; 04-19-2017 at 10:52 PM.
      Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | PSN: dsgolson | XBL: Ryukein
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      Your photos don't qualify for the Ryukein seal of approval
      |||||||

2. Remove Advertisements
      Fourtitude.com
      Advertisements
      Cars
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe, Hyundai Elantra GT Daily
      03-19-2017 08:32 PM #2
      I'd be interested in an EV wagon.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Cars
      Q50 RS400, '05 Lexus GX470, '98 F150 redneck mobile
      03-19-2017 08:39 PM #3
      Model 3 have some competition.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Cars
      03-19-2017 09:10 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by jepva View Post
      Of the best sort! I just hope they don't go the same route of formless interiors and monstrous glass panels.
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Cars
      8 Speed 3 Row FCA x 2
      03-19-2017 09:18 PM #5
      Will this become the EV equivalent of "brown diesel manual wagon"?
      Family Garage:
      2016 Dodge Durango Citadel AWD - mine
      2014 Dodge Durango Limited AWD - wife's
      2004 Acura TSX - for the kids to learn on and drive
      1967 Chevrolet Corvette <-- Father in Law's classic. We're just the caretaker/owners

7. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 Mazda CX-5 2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2013 Ford Focus Electric
      03-20-2017 11:08 AM #6
      To meet the range/cost target, I can almost guarantee they'll go with the CMA platform. SPA is for larger vehicles and adds weight, but this sounds like it needs to be a Chevy Bolt in Volvo XC40 clothes.

8. Member
      Cars
      '15 Tesla Model S 85D, '17 Chrysler Pacifica
      03-20-2017 11:54 AM #7
      I still want to know where all these EVs are going to recharge their 200+ mile ranges at. There's no infrastructure to do mass vehicle charging at the rate that Tesla's Superchargers do.

Cars
      '93 Corrado, '13 Volt CSV
      03-20-2017 11:56 AM #8
      At home. Overnight.
      Quote Originally Posted by ktk View Post
      Car enthusiast: One who harbors an inexplicable fascination with a relatively mundane mechanical device that goes beyond appreciation of its intended purpose and basic functionality, in some cases bordering on obsession.

Cars
      1990 VW Corrado, 2002 Audi allroad, 2015 Fiat 500e
      03-20-2017 12:06 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by brickfrenzy View Post
      I still want to know where all these EVs are going to recharge their 200+ mile ranges at. There's no infrastructure to do mass vehicle charging at the rate that Tesla's Superchargers do.
      In the person's garage or driveway?

Also, there are a lot of 3rd party charging stations in most big urban areas and along major highways. It's not really a problem. You also have a couple of EV's yourself so how did you not know this?

Cars
      2014 Rogue SL, 2008 XC90 3.2, 2012 Golf 2.5
      03-20-2017 12:26 PM #10
      Elon Musk has stated on multiple occasions that he is willing to let other manufacturers use the supercharger network, as long as they build cars that can handle the charging speed, and pay a fair share of the cost of building and maintaining the superchargers.
      Quote Originally Posted by DRUB View Post
      What just cause Im new.

Cars
      2012 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Volvo 240 5MT, 1971 Honda CL350 Scrambler
      03-20-2017 12:42 PM #11
      At home, like 99% of long-range EV owners. Only a very small amount of US drivers take trips more than 200mi more than a couple times a year, so the vast majority of charging is done overnight at home, or at the workplace during the day.
      However, for the people that do travel between cities, there will be a DC Combo fast charge network that exceeds Supercharger speeds, developed by VW and likely shared with other automakers.

Elon Musk has stated on multiple occasions that he is willing to let other manufacturers use the supercharger network, as long as they build cars that can handle the charging speed, and pay a fair share of the cost of building and maintaining the superchargers.
      The charging speed isn't the problem -- new BEVs will be able to charge at very high speeds. The issue is the plug type -- Tesla uses a proprietary plug that is different than the standard SAE J1772/DC Combo fast that nearly every automaker uses.

Cars
      03-20-2017 12:59 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by windycityvdub View Post
      At home, like 99% of long-range EV owners. Only a very small amount of US drivers take trips more than 200mi more than a couple times a year, so the vast majority of charging is done overnight at home, or at the workplace during the day.
      However, for the people that do travel between cities, there will be a DC Combo fast charge network that exceeds Supercharger speeds, developed by VW and likely shared with other automakers.
      I am a fan of SAE DCFC, but VW didn't develop it, not on their own.

Chevy is also offering SAE level 3 (DCFC) support on the Spark and Bolt, and I'm sure the next gen Focus Electric will support it too.

Nissan is sticking to Chademo for the moment, it seems. Be interesting to see if Honda/Toyota go that way out with SAE standard plug format for EVs.

Sent from the Future via Google SkyNet

14. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Cars
      03-20-2017 01:32 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by turbinepowered View Post

Chevy is also offering SAE level 3 (DCFC) support on the Spark and Bolt, and I'm sure the next gen Focus Electric will support it too.
      The current 2017 model Focus EV now has SAE DCFC with its new 33.5 kWh battery.

Cars
      03-20-2017 01:53 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Unilateral Phase Detractor View Post
      The current 2017 model Focus EV now has SAE DCFC with its new 33.5 kWh battery.

I wasn't sure if the new version was available yet or not, thanks.

16. Member
      Cars
      03-20-2017 02:22 PM #15
      Huh. I guess DC Fast Charging is more prevalent than I'd thought.

Cars
      '15 BMW i3 Suite, '15 Kia Soul Ev, '01 Lotus Elise S2
      03-20-2017 02:59 PM #16
      What I want to know, is how many of these, day to day, every day, will need to charge 200+ mile worth of range?

I drive A LOT; and still only need to charge for about 115-ish miles of range daily.

flick
      r
      | Listen to No Agenda!

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdog View Post
      The internet has gotten significantly better since Russians started buying video cameras.

Cars
      '15 BMW i3 Suite, '15 Kia Soul Ev, '01 Lotus Elise S2
      03-20-2017 03:05 PM #17
      A shame they went for a proprietary connector. Charge speed is dictated by battery capacity, quick chargers should have a maximum charge rate lower than 2x capacity. This is why Tesla can deploy 100kWh charge rate, at that rate they are still well within limits recommended. On the other hand, our i3 with only 22kWh (19.6 usable), should not be charged faster than about 40kWh.

flick
      r
      | Listen to No Agenda!

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdog View Post
      The internet has gotten significantly better since Russians started buying video cameras.

19. Member
      Cars
      03-20-2017 03:20 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Dawg Dee-Lux View Post
      What I want to know, is how many of these, day to day, every day, will need to charge 200+ mile worth of range?

I drive A LOT; and still only need to charge for about 115-ish miles of range daily.
      Every day? Infrequently. However, I go on road trips about once a month, where I'll need to supercharge on the route. My parents and my inlaws both live 150-200 miles away, so I have to charge on the way there, and on the way back when I visit them both. I additionally go on yearly trips to DC or Chicago, as well as 2 camping trips a year. When the EV is your only car (as mine was up until we bought a minivan 2 weeks ago), a wide ranging, convenient and fast charging network is critical. I don't want to have to spend 2-3 hours at each stop to recharge.

20. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Cars
      03-20-2017 03:36 PM #19
      Every day? Infrequently. However, I go on road trips about once a month, where I'll need to supercharge on the route. My parents and my inlaws both live 150-200 miles away, so I have to charge on the way there, and on the way back when I visit them both. I additionally go on yearly trips to DC or Chicago, as well as 2 camping trips a year. When the EV is your only car (as mine was up until we bought a minivan 2 weeks ago), a wide ranging, convenient and fast charging network is critical. I don't want to have to spend 2-3 hours at each stop to recharge.
      Hopefully manufacturers will step up as FCA did with the 500e and have an occasional use rental program as an option. It makes a lot more sense to rent something you'll only really need on 1% of your trips. https://www.cars.com/articles/2013/0...ee-rental-car/

21. Member
      Cars
      2007 Porsche Cayman 5MT; 2009 VW Passat Highline Wagon 6MT; 2017 VW Golf R 6MT Tech Pack
      03-20-2017 03:48 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by jepva View Post

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
      Trust me, this will hit the market before the Model 3.
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

22. 03-20-2017 06:09 PM #21
      I've been charging at home for the last 23 months on the standard 110v charger. Maybe 15 times have I used other charging stations. Only used fast charge 3 times and that was just to try it out. My i3 had the rex which has been used maybe 12 times. Most of those rex or other charges were by choice. We typically use our Golf for longer trips. I'm not sure I would need or want to spend the money for unneeded battery size.

A plug in hybrid with about 40 miles range would be better suited for our family.

Cars
      03-20-2017 06:38 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Tdi13golf View Post
      A plug in hybrid with about 40 miles range would be better suited for our family.
      So... a Volt?

Cars
      1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT, 1994 Miata R-Package
      03-20-2017 06:56 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Tdi13golf View Post
      The 40-series Volvos will have plug-in hybrid variants, so will the 60-series models.
      Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | PSN: dsgolson | XBL: Ryukein
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Your photos don't qualify for the Ryukein seal of approval
      |||||||

Cars
      2012 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Volvo 240 5MT, 1971 Honda CL350 Scrambler
      03-21-2017 09:03 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by turbinepowered View Post

Nissan is sticking to Chademo for the moment, it seems. Be interesting to see if Honda/Toyota go that way out with SAE standard plug format for EVs.

I didn't say VW developed the standard, I said they are (going to develop) the network. It is part of the dieselgate settlement.

I don't know why the Japanese brands keep offering Chademo, other than the fact it's fairly well developed in Japan -- it has limited charging speed potential, and seems to be the HD-DVD when everybody else is Blu-ray.

However.... if SAE Combo is Blu-ray, wireless inductive charging is Netflix

26. Member
      Cars
      98 740iL, 15 i3 REX, 01 Saab 9-5 Aero, 13 Mini Clubbie S, 01 Dakota QC 4X4 4.7
      03-21-2017 10:50 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Unilateral Phase Detractor View Post
      Hopefully manufacturers will step up as FCA did with the 500e and have an occasional use rental program as an option. It makes a lot more sense to rent something you'll only really need on 1% of your trips. https://www.cars.com/articles/2013/0...ee-rental-car/
      BMW has the same thing for i3 owners. Never had to use it, but nice to know it is available.

A larger DC Fast Charge network would really be great, as it is far and few between right now.
      Last edited by TDIBUGMAN; 03-21-2017 at 10:52 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast