Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. Member
      Cars
      2001 Audi TT 225QC, 2001 Passat Wagon 1.8T
      03-19-2017 10:48 AM #1
      Hey friends.

As I was driving this morning I noticed a small draft from my driver's side window. It looked like the car hadn't sensed that my door was closed and left the window dropped, so naturally I tried rolling the window all the way down and back up. That's when it happened.

The window is now rolled all the way down and won't go back up. I get audible clicks when pressing the switch in either direction, but no window movement. I tried the window reset sequence and disconnected/reconnected the battery and still nothing. It sounds like a bad regulator/motor based on the symptoms - any suggestions?

I'm also a good two hours from home today and would really rather not have to drive back with my window all the way down. Is there a way I can manually roll the window up? I have what I need to remove the door card if necessary.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
      Fourtitude.com
      Advertisements
    3. Member
      Cars
      02 225q
      03-19-2017 11:22 AM #2
      Since you hear a clicking it sounds like the electrics are all good. Sounds like the track or regulator failed. If you open the panel you might see if something just jumped off track and can be put back on. For an emergency fix just take the panel off, and help the window up with your hand as you push the button. If it won't stay up because the track is broken just tape it in place to get you home.

4. Member
      Cars
      2001 Audi TT 225QC, 2001 Passat Wagon 1.8T
      03-20-2017 08:26 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by bwdz View Post
      Since you hear a clicking it sounds like the electrics are all good. Sounds like the track or regulator failed. If you open the panel you might see if something just jumped off track and can be put back on. For an emergency fix just take the panel off, and help the window up with your hand as you push the button. If it won't stay up because the track is broken just tape it in place to get you home.
      Thanks for the advice. I unfortunately had to drive home with the window down as I was running out of daylight to work - fortunately it wasn't particularly cold so all was well.

I managed to pull the door card off again today but had no luck with the window. With the panel off, I notice now that the motor makes an audible click when the window switch is pushed down, but makes no noise when I try to put the window up.

With the door open, the motor was making a very rapid clicking noise accompanied by the interior lights dimming down and back up. I assumed this was related to the door microswitch, so I went ahead and snipped those wires since that door has been giving me trouble for months anyway and I will eventually have the lock assembly rebuilt. It solved the rapid clicking (I assume the motor was trying to put the window up) but did not solve the stuck window problem. There are no guides off of the track, but I did notice that some of the white plastic on said guides has developed some cracks and will need to be replaced soon.

I can't get that sucker to move with my hands, either. It is firmly stuck in the down position and I'm afraid there won't be anything I can do until I order a replacement regulator/motor. Is there any possibility I could have a window switch that went bad in only one direction? I know that I can get a used regulator/motor off of a salvage car for about $100, so that's a minimal expense, but all of that nonsense with the rivets and taking the entire door apart is daunting to me and I would rather not have to undertake that large of a task unless it's absolutely necessary. Thanks again for the help!

Cars
      2000 Audi TTq
      03-22-2017 01:48 PM #4
      That same thing happened to me in the dead of winter when it was -3 F.

I was not pleased.

FWIW: The microswitches can be had via eBay for less than $10 and are fairly easy to swap out. I've also swapped out the regulator but can't remember where I bought it from...sorry. If I recall, it wasn't very difficult to replace.
      Never underestimate the stopping power of a tree.

6. Member
      Cars
      2001 225Q AMU
      03-23-2017 04:36 PM #5
      Its been three years since i had a similar problem. Window stopped working but i could hear clicking sounds. In my case it was the window motor failed. I was able to roll the window up manually by removing the motor and turning a plastic cog thing with some pliers. I'll post a pic later when I'm not typing on my phone.
      I got the new motor on RockAuto.com, i think it was around $275.