Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
      Cars
      '17 Accord Sport SE 6MT & '12 Honda Pilot EX-L Family Truckster
      03-13-2017 11:53 AM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by BUJonathan View Post
      I took one for a long test drive. Ride is surprisingly good for the 19" wheels. It's got a well-damped feel to it -- far less floaty than a Camry or Legacy. Tire noise and suspension impact noise is low.

The one thing I didn't like about the Accord Sport was the steering felt artificially really heavy when stopped (parking lot maneuvers). It's like they were trying to do their best impression of a late-90s BMW.
      Like that's bad thing.

2. Remove Advertisements
      Fourtitude.com
      Advertisements
      Cars
      '17 Subaru Legacy Sport
      03-13-2017 02:56 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfTango View Post
      Like that's bad thing.
      My understanding is the heavy parking lot feel made sense in the '90s/early '00s because even with speed sensitive HPS steering, you had limitations with how much you could decouple assist from vehicle speed, and how much assist could be provided at engine idle. As a side note, BMWs also tend to have wider tires, and lots of caster in their suspensions which also builds in a fair amount of steering effort. EPS has more flexibility in tailoring those boost curves than HPS (tire width and caster variables aside).

I think when EPS first came out, automakers tried to take advantage of the tuning flexibility and increased assist at parking lot speeds to reduce driver complaints of effort and fatigue. One of the first things a consumer notices with their hands when they test drive a car is the steering feel (weight, feel, ergo, etc.). And, by its nature EPS has more friction, which can make it feel numb. So I think a lot of the motoring press associated the light parking lot effort with the lack of road feel. The two aren't totally related though.

In response to the criticism, some automakers have gone back and firmed up feel at parking lot speeds. But honestly, IMO, the steering could be light as feather and not effect the performance one bit so long as it firms up at road speeds. I also happen to have arthritis, so steering effort at parking lot speeds is something I'm really sensitive to. The MK7 GTI is one car that does it right: Light at parking lot speeds, and it weights up as you throw it into a corner -- best of both worlds, which is how it should be.
      =

Cars
      03-13-2017 03:05 PM #78
      So get this.

I had done a TrueCar inquiry on the specific Sport SE 6MT in SMR. Of course I get three dealers calling me asking when I want to come test drive one, but they don't have what I want. So the last dealer is emailing me every hour. I finally shoot an email back saying I found my car, deposit is made and thank you. The Sales Manager calls me 5 mins later and says he can get me one, but there's only ONE in the NE and it's in MA. I ask him what his bottom dollar offer is and he laughs and says "full MSRP for this model". I tell him thank you, but I already have found one, deposit made and for $22.9. He flat out calls me a liar and says there is none in CT. I tell him again, thank you but I'm all set and hang up. Another 5 mins later the "internet" manager calls me and says "good news, we'll give you $1K off MSRP, when do I want to come down. I tell her thanks but no thanks the deal is ALREADY done with another dealer. She asks me where and I tell her. She adds "look, I'm looking at the entire inventory and that dealer does not have it, plus they're shady, I've heard some bad stories about them!" I just hang up because they sound like complete idiots. I then proceed to email her the written up offer and stock number. Haven't heard back. **** them.
      Last edited by GolfTango; 03-17-2017 at 08:46 PM.

5. Member
      Cars
      2016 Charger R/T, 2006 Ford Fusion, 2001 Jetta VR6 5MT
      03-13-2017 03:20 PM #79
      Are 6MT Accords really that desirable that that dealer refuses to budge from MSRP? I mean I love the car and would own one in a heartbeat, but I'd imagine they'd move kinda slow. The "Accord" crowd and the "manual" crowd are fairly opposite these days.

Cars
      03-13-2017 03:22 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by VR6JH View Post
      Are 6MT Accords really that desirable that that dealer refuses to budge from MSRP? I mean I love the car and would own one in a heartbeat, but I'd imagine they'd move kinda slow. The "Accord" crowd and the "manual" crowd are fairly opposite these days.
      No. I had two reputable dealers ready to deal.

Cars
      '14 WRB Frontier, '97 M3, '92 GTI project
      03-13-2017 03:22 PM #81
      I bet a few dealers read TCL and can see the fappage.

Cars
      '17 Subaru Legacy Sport
      03-13-2017 03:42 PM #82
      So get this.

I had done a TrueCar inquiry on the specific Sport SE 6MT in SMR. Of course I get three dealers calling me asking when I want to come test drive one, but they don't have what I want. So the last dealer is emailing me every hour. I finally shoot an email back saying I found my car, deposit is made and thank you. So the Sales Manager calls me 5 mins later and says he can get me one, but there's only ONE in the NE and it's in MA. I tell him what his bottom dollar offer is and he laughs and says "full MSRP for this model". I tell him thank you, but I already have found one, deposit made and for $22.9. He flat out calls me a liar and says there is none in CT. I tell him again, thank you but I'm all set and hang up. Another 5 mins later the "internet" manager calls me and says "good news, we'll give you $1K off MSRP, when do I want to come down. I tell her thanks but no thanks the deal is ALREADY done with another dealer. She asks me where and I tell her. She again says "look, I'm looking at the entire inventory and that dealer does not have it, plus it's shady, I've heard some bad stories about them!" I just hang up because they sound like complete idiots. I then proceed to email her the written up offer and stock number. Haven't heard back. **** them.
      When I bought my Mazda3 in 2012, I had a similar experience. The cheapest dealer was the closest. On my way to that dealer, a further and the most expensive dealer called. When I told him I was on the way to purchase from another dealer, he offered to undercut their price by a few hundred bucks. My response was that ruined the purpose of TrueCar.

Last month I was back in the market for a 2017 Legacy. I looked at TrueCar, but I got much better prices by just emailing the Internet Sales managers directly and asking for their lowest price if I were to buy on the upcoming weekend. My local dealer agreed to match a volume dealer's price and also agreed to do a dealer swap for the color I wanted.
      =

Cars
      Civics
      03-13-2017 04:35 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by cournot View Post
      How to turn VSA completely off on the 9.5G cars:

1. turn on car
      2. release parking brake
      3. hold down brake pedal
      4. press VSA switch to toggle off
      5. press VSA switch to toggle on
      6. apply handbrake and release brake pedal
      7. press VSA to toggle off
      8. press VSA switch to toggle on
      9. hold brake pedal down with handbrake up
      10. press VSA toggle twice. The VSA activation light will stay on and the VSA OFF light will flash quickly.

Do you have instructions for him to disable the ABS while he's at it. I get that there are occasionally times when you might want it off but why on earth would you want to disable? It's a pretty nice safety feature.

10. Member
      Cars
      2017 Tiguan SEL 4MO; 2012 Beetle w/Sunroof
      03-13-2017 05:01 PM #84
      So get this.

I had done a TrueCar inquiry on the specific Sport SE 6MT in SMR. Of course I get three dealers calling me asking when I want to come test drive one, but they don't have what I want. So the last dealer is emailing me every hour. I finally shoot an email back saying I found my car, deposit is made and thank you. So the Sales Manager calls me 5 mins later and says he can get me one, but there's only ONE in the NE and it's in MA. I tell him what his bottom dollar offer is and he laughs and says "full MSRP for this model". I tell him thank you, but I already have found one, deposit made and for $22.9. He flat out calls me a liar and says there is none in CT. I tell him again, thank you but I'm all set and hang up. Another 5 mins later the "internet" manager calls me and says "good news, we'll give you $1K off MSRP, when do I want to come down. I tell her thanks but no thanks the deal is ALREADY done with another dealer. She asks me where and I tell her. She again says "look, I'm looking at the entire inventory and that dealer does not have it, plus it's shady, I've heard some bad stories about them!" I just hang up because they sound like complete idiots. I then proceed to email her the written up offer and stock number. Haven't heard back. **** them.
      Why are dealers such idiots? When I was shopping for my Mustang, I made the mistake of building the car on Ford's site and requesting a quote via the site, thinking I would be able to pick the dealer(s) I wanted the quote from. My mistake, it automatically sent one request to the nearest dealer, who I already loathed for other reasons. Sure enough, "Ed" called or emailed me on like a daily basis, and I gave him a shot to get it right, and he could NEVER get the option list right. I bullet pointed the fawking thing and couldn't have made it any clearer:

-2014 GT Premium
      -Coupe
      -Sterling Gray
      -Black Interior
      -Auto
      -401A
      -Comfort Package
      -Shaker Pro Audio
      -Brembo Pack

I even gave the bullet point list in the order of the builder on the site. And literally probably 5 times in a row he completely got it wrong, like he was on drugs or something. Time and time again I was like no you dip****, that isn't what I said. Eventually I was like yeah royally fawk this guy if he can't even read a bullet point list of his own product offering and went elsewhere and had a great sales guy. However after my car was ordered elsewhere, I still received emails from him on like a daily/weekly basis for literally MONTHS after the car had long been delivered and was in my garage. Didn't seem to matter how many times I told the idiot that not only had I ordered the car elsewhere where the sales guy was competent, but that the car had been built, delivered, and was sitting in my garage and that I was NOT IN THE MARKET ANYMORE and to STOP CONTACTING ME COMPLETELY. ****in' guy just kept on and kept on. Eventually after literally about a year he disappeared, only to pop up like 1.5 years in and ask if I was still in the market. Mind you this was actually the internet sales manager. And while I thought based on his old man name he was just some old moron, he pops up on my linkedin and he can't be more than 45.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda_Appliance View Post
      Do you have instructions for him to disable the ABS while he's at it. I get that there are occasionally times when you might want it off but why on earth would you want to disable? It's a pretty nice safety feature.
      Plus we are talking about a sub-200 hp appliance, wtf is the point? Just drive the car from home to work and back like it was intended.
      Last edited by puma1552; 03-13-2017 at 05:03 PM.

Cars
      Ghetto35
      03-13-2017 05:05 PM #85
      ^ If it's similar to the pre-refresh cars, turning off the VSA isn't really necessary for fun driving. The switch on the dash allowed the back end to come around a little if you really tried, but to be honest, the too-wide tires provide so much lateral grip that it's kind of hard to get it do really go out of line. And as much as I disliked mine, it was pretty good fun on a backroad. The sales manager letting me take his personal 6-speed Sport up into some canyons for a couple of hours is what sold me in the first place. Jerk.

Anyway, on the flip side, straight line grip under power wasn't very good. Lots of wheel hop and one-wheel-peels in some situations, even with the A/S 3s that I had. I'd assume the Continentals are a good middle ground between the terrible RE92s that mine came with and a summer tire trying to be an all season like the A/S 3.

Cars
      KTM, Honda
      03-13-2017 05:08 PM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post
      I bet a few dealers read TCL and can see the fappage.
      I can't tell you exactly how much of deal I get, but I can tell you that what OP paid is very close to my discount.

Cars
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      03-13-2017 05:22 PM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      Plus we are talking about a sub-200 hp appliance, wtf is the point? Just drive the car from home to work and back like it was intended.
      I turn mine off sometimes but it only takes a long button press, not a Konami code.

My car will reduce power until the wheel is pointing totally straight so I sometimes disable it when pulling out in to fast traffic. The stability control is also slow to react, then over-reacts with an angry brake "grawwwwwwnch" so I will sometimes turn it off if I am hustling it around in the mountains. Unlike some cars that only intervene if you are screwing up, it steps in pretty much any time there is a quick transition or any kind of tire squeal. I think it is calibrated for the crap tires it came with, not these summer Michelins that really transformed the handling.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

14. Member
      Cars
      03-13-2017 05:47 PM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      I turn mine off sometimes but it only takes a long button press, not a Konami code.

My car will reduce power until the wheel is pointing totally straight so I sometimes disable it when pulling out in to fast traffic. The stability control is also slow to react, then over-reacts with an angry brake "grawwwwwwnch" so I will sometimes turn it off if I am hustling it around in the mountains. Unlike some cars that only intervene if you are screwing up, it steps in pretty much any time there is a quick transition or any kind of tire squeal. I think it is calibrated for the crap tires it came with, not these summer Michelins that really transformed the handling.
      high end summer tires on a yaris/corolla? i must be getting tcl trolled

Cars
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      03-13-2017 06:10 PM #89
      high end summer tires on a yaris/corolla? i must be getting tcl trolled
      Yaris (wife's Corolla is pleasant but not much fun).

It only weighs 2300 lbs, has immediate turn-in, strong brakes, better power than most expect with the 5-speed (0-60 in mid 8-second range) and the rear will rotate if you tell it to. The turning circle is comical and it is a riot on tight mountain switchbacks where you can just keep it in 2nd the whole time (goes out to just over 60 MPH), barely ever using the brakes. Yeah, it is not refined or cool looking, but most have formed their opinion of them based on base automatic rental cars. It is so different with a 5-speed. I have had fancier cars but it is one of my favorites.

Don't worry, my next car is gonna have two seats!

16. Member
      Cars
      03-15-2017 10:51 PM #90
      so did this purchase fall through or wut

Cars
      '17 Golf R DSG, '12 Crosstour V6 AWD nav, '09 Civic Si 4d nav
      03-15-2017 11:52 PM #91
      The "Accord" crowd and the "manual" crowd are fairly opposite these days.
      Is that why the Accord offers more manual trims than any other competitor? And why you can still buy a V6/6MT coupe when other companies have long since stopped offering anything close?
      Past: '06 Accord V6, '95 Taurus SHO, '01 ITR, '98 Civic HX CVT

Quote Originally Posted by jamerican1
      Dude, you know you're like the opposite of a purist, right?

Cars
      03-16-2017 03:30 PM #92
      so did this purchase fall through or wut
      No. Found out it's being shipped and in transit. Add the blizzard to the mix to delay things. Eagerly awaiting dealer's call.

Cars
      03-17-2017 11:51 AM #93
      Still. Waiting.

So now I'm on the fence if I should continue to wait. I negotiated for $22,900 before tt&l for the new 2017 Sport SE.

I've found two 2016 CPO SM Red Sports 6MT (non-SE) locally. Both less than 10K (one 6K, one 9K) miles. Asking a "non-negotiable" $21,900. I mean $1K off isn't a lot, but CPO will give me a better warranty than new. What to do?!

Ugh!

Cars
      '17 Subaru Legacy Sport
      03-17-2017 12:10 PM #94
      Still. Waiting.

So now I'm on the fence if I should continue to wait. I negotiated for $22,900 before tt&l for the new 2017 Sport SE.

I've found two 2016 CPO SM Red Sports 6MT (non-SE) locally. Both less than 10K (one 6K, one 9K) miles. Asking a "non-negotiable" $21,900. I mean $1K off isn't a lot, but CPO will give me a better warranty than new. What to do?!

Ugh!
      I'd go with the new. It's a Honda, it's reliable, so it's unlikely the $1k you saved + longer warranty will pay off.
      =

Cars
      I used to drive a Rabbit5GTI or something. May also own a NATO Sand Jeep.
      03-17-2017 12:12 PM #95
      I'd go with the new. It's a Honda, it's reliable, so it's unlikely the $1k you saved + longer warranty will pay off.
      This is the answer.
      Own a Chevrolet SS? Join the Official TCL Registry!

It's me, Rabbit, I promise.
      Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Dubber-GLI View Post
      NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

Cars
      06 4runner, 85 gti
      03-17-2017 12:34 PM #96
      Still. Waiting.

Ugh!
      It depends on what the OTD price is on the new Accord versus the used one. When I was looking to buy a GTI sport, I was quoted $26,900 for the car at two different dealerships before tt&l. When I asked the OTD price, I was quoted $32,500 from one dealership and $31,000 from the other one. I think the tax rate in each city is a little under 8%, registration was probably in $600 range, so that meant an additional $2k in dealer fees.

I can get a 2016 GTI SE with performance pack with under 10K miles for about $26K OTD. Not really sure what differences the SE is between 2016 and 2017, but one dealership said the 2017 SE is 2K more then the Sport, so a difference of 5-6K is worth it to me to buy used.

Find out the OTD price on both cars and see if the extra money is worth being new over slightly used.

03-17-2017 12:42 PM #97
      What if the person traded because they sucked at driving manual?

No way would I do used. It's a year newer and worth more anyways.
      Last edited by MAGICGTI; 03-17-2017 at 01:17 PM.
      2016 Passion Red/Off-black S60 T5 R-Design
      2006 Ice White/Oak XC70
      1996 Polar White/Charcoal 854R

Cars
      '17 Subaru Legacy Sport
      03-17-2017 12:55 PM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by MAGICGTI View Post
      What if the person traded because they sucked at driving manual?

No way would I do that, go used. It's a year newer and worth more anyways.
      Agreed, for the minor price difference, I'd rather have a car that no one else has farted in or dumped the clutch on.

Of course, someone will reply to this and tell me I'm wrong, new cars get farted in and have the clutch dumped "all the time"...
      =

Cars
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      03-17-2017 01:10 PM #99
      If you buy it new, are the original owner, get all the oil changes at the dealership, you will have a much better chance of goodwill repairs if something happens slightly outside of the warranty.

Cars
      KTM, Honda
      03-17-2017 01:23 PM #100
      Of course, someone will reply to this and tell me I'm wrong, new cars get farted in and have the clutch dumped "all the time"...
      I'm sure it happens, but once you drive 40 Accords a week, you quickly just look at the car as a paycheck. Move onto the next one. The farting thing? Well. Guilty.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast