VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Is this really $550 worth of damage?

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  MeatEater 
#1 ·
Hi all,

How the damage happened (if you care):
Pulled out of a parking spot partially, when I noticed some bags of stuff I had on the passenger seat floor fell over. I stopped to fix it up while I was still seated. Not thinking, while I was doing this, I lifted my foot off the brake, the car started rolling backwards into the parking spot (I didn't feel the rolling), and BAM!!! hit a concrete light post! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

STUPID STUPID STUPID!! uuggghhhh...

Anyway, below is the damage. I went to a few body shops for quotes. One guy said $950 (To which I said, hell no), another guy said $750 (I was still shocked), a third guy said $550 (I think I can swallow this). I honestly thought the repair job would have been more like $350-$450 before I ever got any quotes.

Anyway, what do you guys think? $550 sound about right? I was also toying with the idea of repairing it myself with a touchup kit, either brush or spray, but dunno.....

A little hard to see, but should give an idea:

See less See more
#3 ·
I am an Estimator for a top rated body shop here in Washington. and honestly in my shop that price is low. our body rates are $56 and Paint labor is $56 and paint materials is $38. thats probably around 3-4 hours of body work then preping for paint. then painting it with base coat then clear coat. so yes that is fair or average depending on what state you live in.

#4 ·
Seems like decent prices to me..

Everyone seems to think that shop supplies dont cost anything... Paint is expensive. Masking tape is expensive. Primers are expensive.

And even though you only need a little bit of paint on that bumper, the entire bumper must be prepped and clear coated.

#5 ·
overpricing!

I completely understand why people are so suspicious of pricing, as an example a low budget parts dealer in Denmark called T-Hansen buys a small plastic slider for golf II seats for maximum 3 dkk, but the sails price in shop is 40 dkk!!! How the H... and other brainless words did that happen?? :what:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.