Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Cars
      11' GTI
      02-22-2017 03:01 PM #1
      Aloha from the islands guys!

I recently decided to splurge on my 2011 GTI and put a few go fast parts into it over the last couple months and topped it off with a couple of United Motorsports tunes (ECU & TCU). I've done the recommended spark plug re-gapping and changed out the coil packs, but I'm wondering if I should change my oil type or brand at all. I've always used Mobile 1 0w-40 since day one but now that she has 40k miles and a bunch of upgrades with higher boost.

My question is: With higher boost, should I run a higher viscosity oil? What is your experience with your oil choice when running higher boost?

Maaaaaahalos!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gbeav View Post
      DSG is awesome, sorry.

2. Remove Advertisements
      Fourtitude.com
      Advertisements
      Cars
      2014 Tiguan SEL, 2016 GTI AB
      02-25-2017 06:09 PM #2
      No need to change brand or type, M1 is good choice. What I WOULD do though, is "splurge" on oil analysis. With the higher boost, you may have higher fuel dilution or combustion blow-by that may necessitate shorter intervals.

Cars
      11' GTI
      02-25-2017 11:20 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by shortybdub View Post
      No need to change brand or type, M1 is good choice. What I WOULD do though, is "splurge" on oil analysis. With the higher boost, you may have higher fuel dilution or combustion blow-by that may necessitate shorter intervals.
      Thanks for responding. 150 plus views and your the first reply.
      Currently I have oil changes every 5000 miles. What is an oil analysis and how is this done?
      Quote Originally Posted by Gbeav View Post
      DSG is awesome, sorry.

Cars
      2014 Tiguan SEL, 2016 GTI AB
      02-26-2017 06:14 PM #4
      This may help better than some long winded explanation by me http://bobistheoilguy.com/engine-oil-analysis/

Also here: www.blackstone-labs.com
      Last edited by shortybdub; 02-26-2017 at 06:17 PM.

6. Member
      Cars
      2007 Black B6 ___________ Passat, 2.0T (BPY)
      03-12-2017 12:24 AM #5
      I've run at least a half-dozen different top-tier 502.00 spec oil on my Stage 2+ all with a few reports from Blackstone for each individual oil. M1 0W-40, Liquimoly Leichlauf 5W-40, Amsoil 5W-40, Valvoline SynPower 5W-40, and some others. I'm currently giving Motul X-Cess 5W-40 a few rounds. So far I'd pretty much say that considering that the M1 is half the price of those oils (except the Valvoline) it is EASILY the best value for money. In my experience and many others it is pretty close to the Liquimolys, Motuls, etc. The only thing to keep in mind is that it has a tendency to shear pretty fast so definitely don't stretch your OCIs past 5K. I'd say shoot between 4-5K. Also, while it's usually a good idea to keep a spare 1L of whatever you're running in your trunk to top off hear and there, that is especially true of the M1 for most people. Seems that I and many others find that M1 burns off on these platforms at an accelerated rate (more so than is already the case for the FSI/TSI).
      Last edited by Thy_Harrowing; 03-15-2017 at 03:44 PM.
      APR II+|R8 coil-packs|GFB DV+|APR HPFP|B&B TBE|Forge Wintake|BSH TBP|BSH catch can|RSR clutch+SS line+ECS bleeder|APR short shift+solid bracket/bushings|Raceseng SS knob|034 motor/trans mounts|VWR subframe|F+R Tyrol collar kits|Supalloy LCAs|H&R 26mm FSB+24mm RSB|Koni sports+Vogtland springs|ST40 BBK|18" black Karthoums (ET35)/BFG sport comp 2s|Revised parts|Tasteful cosmetics|P3Cars VIDI|VCDS (Hex+CAN)

7. Junior Member
      Cars
      2007 MK5 VW Jetta 2.5
      03-22-2017 04:14 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by shortybdub View Post
      This may help better than some long winded explanation by me http://bobistheoilguy.com/engine-oil-analysis/

Also here: www.blackstone-labs.com
      I was going to recommend Blackstone. lol