VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

$300 AMG daily... ohh yes

17K views 128 replies 86 participants last post by  VMPhil 
#1 · (Edited)
So my sister calls me up tells me her father in laws benz doesn't run and wondering how much is it worth 2002 C32 AMG with 192k, she told me it needs fuel pumps or something like that. The junkyard was giving them 200 dollars so i said 300 and i'll pick it up. Picked it up take it home with clean title. This thing was rough, just a quick look around needs rear tires, interior was disgusting but for 300 bucks i just couldn't pass it up.

Heres the pictures i got sent after i found out it was a AMG thats when i said i'll take it

So i get it home and had to clean it i dont understand how someone can kill a car like this, people shouldn't even own a car like this..

Then i cleaned it up forgot to take interior pics but its damn clean now i am impressed

When i got it both the fuel pump lids and sending unit lid where off for about 8 months, This is when i was starting to think i made a mistake as the pumps are 900 dollars . First i had to change the battery as it was dead then i decided to put it back together and to test the power at the pump to see what the issue is. So i get it to crank and its reading battery voltage keep cranking and it starts:eek: So i got excited haha

All said and done i decided to register and plate the car i drive it to work and i am pumped that it even made it, But that morning i filled up with gas. When i get to work i smell gas and then notice it leaking bad. Take the seats out again and there is a hole in the fuel pump lid now it makes sense why it needs a pump assembly. But im not spending that kind of money so i epoxy seal the hole and its been good :laugh:

First thing i did was oil change as the oil sticker said 172k and it has 192k:facepalm:

I do my trusty Rotella T6

Heres the rear tires that where on it 215/45/17:facepalm: should be 245/40/17, fronts are new but no name junk will replace when they wear out

new ones

Also first time driving i press the brakes and had horrible vibration so i machined the rotors and changed the brake fluid all better now

Cleaned the air filters and the throttle body you can see it was well kept up

I've been driving it daily 50 miles a day for 2 weeks now and love it, its damn fast im surprised. It still needs some stuff like front control arms making a clunk but whatever for the price i have in this car i love it. Gets 22-23mpg if you're easy on it

I'll update when i do other stuff to it..Is there anything i should watch out for or should i sell it, not even sure if anyone wants to buy a high mileage AMG.

See less See more
#91 ·
My co-workers always say to play the lotto:laugh:

FYI, changing that worn knob on the Comand is a giant job. You would think you could just pop it off and stick a new one on, nope. I've done a few of them over the years and I still get nervous.

Basically the entire Comand system has to come out and put on a bench. The the Comand system splits in three different pieces via a million little tiny screws. You have lay the screen face down once it's apart and extract the knob from the back (so basically the insides) all while not moving the face because the buttons will go flying everywhere. I usually do both knobs while I am in there since it's such a big job. One time I forgot one little screw and had to tear the entire thing apart again because I had a rattle.
I'll look into it after i fix a few things first. It doesn't bother me too much yet.

But some more recent pictures almost got 23mpg going to work this morning

Is the AMG side badge original or should i order the V6 Kompressor

Also has factory benz all weather floor mats

cup holder works great but a pretty dumb design

#86 ·
$300 is most certainly a crazy deal, a no brainer for a car enthusiast. In decent shape they sell for $8-10K. Even very high mileage ones get $5-6K.

A former co-worker bought a SLK32 new ($55K) back in 2002. It got very little respect from the car guys in the office that though he shoulda bought a Boxster S or MZ3 (or even an S2K) because 3 pedals. All I knew was it was the fastest 2 seater in the parking lot. Powertrain was very stout!

#88 ·
Damn... Normally I wouldn't touch a high mileage German car with a ten foot pole, nor any automatic, nor a car that trashed, but I would have hit that for $300. Congrats, OP. :thumbup:

#89 ·
FYI, changing that worn knob on the Comand is a giant job. You would think you could just pop it off and stick a new one on, nope. I've done a few of them over the years and I still get nervous.

Basically the entire Comand system has to come out and put on a bench. The the Comand system splits in three different pieces via a million little tiny screws. You have lay the screen face down once it's apart and extract the knob from the back (so basically the insides) all while not moving the face because the buttons will go flying everywhere. I usually do both knobs while I am in there since it's such a big job. One time I forgot one little screw and had to tear the entire thing apart again because I had a rattle.

#108 ·
A small update so i didn't even notice but the spare is the AMG wheels so now i just need to find 1 more front and 2 rears for cheap.

recently the blower motor has been squeaking so i took it apart blew out the motor ( lots of dust) and lubed the bearings so far no noise :thumbup:

Decided to put in the walbro fuel pump because of the extended crank after sits, thinking the fuel pump is not holding the pressure in the lines but that didn't fix it. might order the fuel filter assembly and see if that helps.

Also im waiting on the upper control arm bushings as the ones in the car are shot, should be able to install them Friday.

#116 ·
They don't they only have some ghetto 20" crap

So I put in the new MAHLE Original KL 82 Fuel Filter and it fixed the extended crank issue so im stoked:thumbup: I think the orginal is in there which is crazy. I think the car feel much faster now.

Also changed the upper inner control arm bushings, job was pretty easy to my surprise. No more clunking noise, the car drives super solid now.

you can see daylight through them haha

#127 ·
I've been daily driving it still and running great. developed a front end clunk so i replaced the inner tie rods they where loose and the other control arm. But i think its the strut tops now. Oh well still drives great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.