Fourtitude.com - How old were you when you started skiing/snowboarding?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. Member
      01-06-2017 11:11 AM #1
      My son started ice skating when he was 4 and is now playing hockey at 5. He's already super excited about snowboarding but I decided to start him off on skis instead since I feel it'd be very easy for him to transition from skating to skiing versus to snowboarding.

Personally, I started ice skating at maybe 8 years old. Then skateboarding seriously at 13 or so. Transitioned to snowboarding naturally by 18. Now pretty much just ski since I find it more relaxing! Anyway, my son's 5 now and we're starting skiing this season with him. Needless to say, we're all pretty excited!

2. Remove Advertisements
      Fourtitude.com
      Advertisements
    3. Junior Member
      Cars
      mk3 jetta
      03-06-2017 11:03 PM #2
      i started when i was 2 or 3, very earrly i no, but i can say this i do not remember learning, and in the past 7 years to teach my friends i had to think about what i was even doing and explain that to them

4. Member
      03-13-2017 12:52 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by stagz View Post
      i started when i was 2 or 3, very earrly i no, but i can say this i do not remember learning, and in the past 7 years to teach my friends i had to think about what i was even doing and explain that to them
      Do they even make equipment small enough for a 2-3 year old?

That is definitely very young but toddlers are also very capable of learning and absorbing everything you throw at them, so I can see that. To be honest, I'm not even sure how to teach a young child how to ski or snowboard. As you said, it's just a natural effort that you really need to break it down to basics and actually think about what your body is doing and then break it down further into smaller, more focused individual skills!

5. 03-23-2017 03:37 PM #4
      My mom started to teach me at about 5... I plan on starting my son next season, so about 2.5 years old. Get him onto tiny skis to walk around the backyard and slide down the hill. Just to get a feel for skis being 'normal'

I just came back from skiing in Switzerland and there many 4 year olds in daily lessons. And a handful of 2-3 year olds with parents.
      Last edited by B_artman; 03-23-2017 at 03:40 PM.

6. Member
      03-24-2017 11:45 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by B_artman View Post
      My mom started to teach me at about 5... I plan on starting my son next season, so about 2.5 years old. Get him onto tiny skis to walk around the backyard and slide down the hill. Just to get a feel for skis being 'normal'

I just came back from skiing in Switzerland and there many 4 year olds in daily lessons. And a handful of 2-3 year olds with parents.
      That's awesome. I love seeing little kids learning at such an early age. It's amazing how quickly they pick up new things versus many adults who are learning later in life.

We didn't get a whole lot of snow this winter season so my son had very limited time on his skis. On our 1st day trial, I had him ski down a hill in a park in a straight line and he loved it. He loves tobogganing and he loves playing hockey so skiing to him was like the best of both worlds!

7. Member
      Cars
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      03-25-2017 09:08 PM #6
      About 25 for me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by Jezza
      Power and Speed solves many things
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1/Morimoto 5500K D3S bulbs/Hella XY 9006 bulbs... keeping the mods light on this one...

8. Member
      03-27-2017 02:59 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by BsickPassat View Post
      About 25 for me
      Learning any sport as an adult always comes with different challenges (and different advantages too, of course) versus learning it as a child. How did you find the learning curve at 25? Did you ski or snowboard? How long would you say it took before you were at the technical proficiency you are at now?

Cars
      15 Outback 3.6R
      05-01-2017 12:45 PM #8
      I learned to ski as a little kid. That was in the dark ages with leather lace boots, wood skis, cable bindings, and really low tech clothing.

This is on the bunny slope back in 1966.

10. Member
      05-01-2017 03:18 PM #9
      ^ Wow, that's really cool. It's amazing how far ski equipment has changed, even just 10 years ago. I'm still riding on decade-old Rossignol Bandit B1 twin tip freestyle skis. Some years ago, a guy sat next to me on a ski lift, saw my B1 skis and remarked,"Wow, I haven't seen those in a long time!"

A side story...

...I recall circa 1990, my skateboarding crew & I had 1 shared snowboard, a plastic Black Snow Mogul Monster, which didn't even have metal edges, and we'd take it to a local hill to try out. We made little kickers midway down the hill and tried to transpose as many skateboarding tricks as we could on it. It was fun but we never thought snowboarding would actually take off the way it did.

Fast forward some years before any of us got serious at snowboarding. One of us in our small skateboarding circle of friends ended up getting sponsored to ride for a snowboard company which was pretty cool. As for me, I still love snowboarding but at my age, I stay away from the skate park. I instinctively still let out a "yeah!" if I see a kid pull off some sweet move on the halfpipe though.
      Last edited by woofster; 05-01-2017 at 03:31 PM.