Fourtitude.com - Which Type of Suitcase?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?

Voters
    4. You may not vote on this poll
    • Hard Shell Exterior

1 25.00%
    • Fabric Exterior

3 75.00%
      Cars
      '93 Corrado, '13 Volt CSV
      12-19-2016 12:01 PM #1
      It's come time to replace my old suitcase. It'll be the size that has to get checked. I use it for 2 week work trips. My old one was fabric and had zippers on the front. Someone mentioned that hard shell exterior ones are superior. I feel like I'd miss the storage on the front. and hard case seem like it could break or crack fairly easily then it's done for, where as the fabric ones have some give. I dunno, make your case for the one you prefer.
      Quote Originally Posted by ktk View Post
      Car enthusiast: One who harbors an inexplicable fascination with a relatively mundane mechanical device that goes beyond appreciation of its intended purpose and basic functionality, in some cases bordering on obsession.

2. Remove Advertisements
      Fourtitude.com
      Advertisements
    3. Senior Member
      12-19-2016 01:49 PM #2
      My wife likes her http://www.briggs-riley.com/. Has several pieces in different sizes. Looks like it's what is considered the Baseline collection now.

I have a B&R non-wheeled, large garment bag. Great bag, but that sucker is incredibly heavy when fully loaded. Should have gotten a wheeled garment bag.

Cars
      '93 Corrado, '13 Volt CSV
      12-19-2016 01:56 PM #3
      Deng, those are a little out of my price range.
      Quote Originally Posted by ktk View Post
      Car enthusiast: One who harbors an inexplicable fascination with a relatively mundane mechanical device that goes beyond appreciation of its intended purpose and basic functionality, in some cases bordering on obsession.

5. Senior Member
      12-19-2016 03:11 PM #4
      Yes, they are pricey. But, my wife was doing a lot of traveling for work at the time. They still look brand new.

Cars
      ATS-v | All Track CEL
      12-20-2016 09:19 AM #5
      https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008PSWVD8...JQK96SPC&psc=1

There you go!

I travel 100% for work and check a bag every-time, due to needing every climates worth of clothes.

Example, this trip I am in Germany and then South America.

Cars
      '15 RSM e-Golf SEL | '15 CW Passat TSI SEL
      12-21-2016 01:19 PM #6
      the hard shell ones have a bit of give, they'll flex and probably wont crack.

I do prefer the fabric ones esp for a carry-on for the outside pockets. for large checked bags i'll probably go with hard shell.

Cars
      DD: Big & Black O: A4 | Uncertified Preowned: Explorer, Sportage, xB, Golf GL
      03-16-2017 12:57 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by palakaman View Post
      It's come time to replace my old suitcase. It'll be the size that has to get checked. I use it for 2 week work trips. My old one was fabric and had zippers on the front. Someone mentioned that hard shell exterior ones are superior. I feel like I'd miss the storage on the front. and hard case seem like it could break or crack fairly easily then it's done for, where as the fabric ones have some give. I dunno, make your case for the one you prefer.
      Did you find your replacement?

One day my wife and I will have the Osprey Ozone convertible bags. Right now we each have a Dakine rolling duffel. Not carry-on, but we don't fly that much. She has an old Eddie Bauer carry-on that's 20+ years old from her flight attendant days that is finally retired.

I prefer fabric, as they can collapse/expand. Hard shell I'm just not a big fan of. Maybe because as a kid, my parents had a set of red samsonite hard cases that were heavy. Like this:
      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

//// @mbull //// instagram ////

9. 03-29-2017 12:35 PM #8
      I randomly found these at a local bed bath beyond. i think somone bought them online and returned them to the store. In general, i think the buckles are the way to go over zippers. I have 2 bags now that I've traveled with for about 5 years and the zippers are destroyed.

http://www.lojel.us/product/octa/
      Greg