Fourtitude.com - 2018 Volkswagen Atlas three-row midsize SUV finally unveiled - Will be built in Tennessee, riding on the MQB platform
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    1. 10-28-2016 03:54 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      Wow, looks terrible. And how are they not putting the virtual cockpit in their new flagship SUV? The Passat gets it in Europe...
      It does have a virtual cockpit.

2. Remove Advertisements
      Fourtitude.com
      Advertisements
      Cars
      '17 Golf R DSG, '12 Crosstour V6 AWD nav, '09 Civic Si 4d nav
      10-28-2016 03:56 PM #77
      I love this. Anyone who loves VW should love it too.

Depending on real-world ATP and lease rates I would be very interested when wife starts agitating for a new car.
      Past: '06 Accord V6, '95 Taurus SHO, '01 ITR, '98 Civic HX CVT

Quote Originally Posted by jamerican1
      Dude, you know you're like the opposite of a purist, right?

Cars
      Silver Volvos
      10-28-2016 04:08 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by Lifelong Obsession View Post
      No idea where that picture was taken, but I guess they thought "Chattanooga has mountains...hmmm, this backdrop will do!"
      The average buyer of one of these probably couldn't tell you what state Chattanooga is in, much less if THOSE mountains are nearby.
      08 c30 | 10 xc70 | seventwosix

Cars
      Golf GTI 7
      10-28-2016 04:11 PM #79
      Wow, looks terrible. And how are they not putting the virtual cockpit in their new flagship SUV? The Passat gets it in Europe...

Cars
      2015 GTI, 2006 GLI, 1987 Scirocco 16V, 1989 Jetta GL
      10-28-2016 04:25 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by Hajduk View Post
      The VR6 sits really low in the engine bay. Good for handling but not so great for the DYI mechanics.

It looks like the intake runners are about 12 inches below the hood. They could have made a small frunk up there for diaper bags; no cold diapers for baby!

Seriously though, this appears to showcase how MQB works: the engine mounts to fixed points that are shared with other vehicles, and the body wraps around that. It looks like a huge body was put on top of a midsize car frame. Well, not a frame, but you know what I mean. It reminds me of those inflatable Halloween costumes: it looks big but there's actually a much smaller person underneath.

Cars
      '16 Jetta Sport/'17 Passat R-Line
      10-28-2016 05:54 PM #81
      That's the beauty behind MQB architecture, though. It's a universal system. It's a life-size LEGO set for vehicles. The main section doesn't change, but you're able to add on to it to engineer almost any kind of vehicle. I remember when it was first announced that they were going to be doing this, and the website had interviewed the chief of design (or someone high up like that) of Cadillac and he referred to it as "the holy grail of automotive engineering" and couldn't believe that it was not only being tested, but damn near in development to go global.

Yes, it looks hardly accessible, but if you're not working on it, what does it matter? Leave that to the technicians who do work on them with the proper tools and training. They know what they're doing so you don't need to (while you have a warranty, anyway).

I'm with the other poster who mentioned all the hate this thing is getting because it's Volkswagen related. Seems to be a trend. There was a lot that went into this vehicle, with that is a lot of consideration for the US market. The new VWoA big cheese has a good idea of what is needed to begin the turnaround for this company in the country, and this is the first GIANT step in that direction. I'm really excited for the next five years and what they're going to start throwing our way.
      Quote Originally Posted by Nicefeet View Post
      I look at the car, yard and to me it would make more sense to buy $3k worth of fireworks, booze and raw dog a gal named Tiffany in a clapped out Winnabgo at a Jesus music festival
      '02 Golf 2.slow-sold|'01 Passat V64Mo-sold|'02 Passat 1.8T-sold|'09 JSW TDI-sold
      2016 Jetta Sport 5MT, APR Carbonio, coils-lease|'17 Passat R-Line-lease

Cars
      2008 Passat Wagon VR6 4motion, 2013 FIAT 500 Sport
      10-28-2016 06:04 PM #82
      Quote Originally Posted by Dubveiser View Post
      VR6 3.6L with 4motion in that boat? So, 15mpg combined on a good day?
      The 8-speed transmission will help. I drove a rental Durango equipped with the Pentastar and 8-speed auto from NH to CO this summer and it definitely got out of its own way. Overall mileage was 22mpg, fully loaded with stuff from my parent's basement that I was helping them move. VW's 3.6 has more torque at lower RPMs than the Pentastar and I'd hope that the Atlas would be a little lighter than the Durango's 5000lbs so I'd expect low 20s combined. The only downside to the 3.6 VR6 is that it requires premium. Otherwise it's a great motor.
      - Jeff
      B6 Passat 3.6 & 4motion Resource Thread
      Now: 2008 VW Passat 3.6 4motion Wagon, 2013 Fiat 500 Sport
      Then: 1987 Volvo 745GLE, 1989 Volvo 740GL, 1994 Volvo 940T, 1995 Infiniti G20, 2000 VW Passat 1.8T, 2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Ed (x2), 2004 VW Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI

9. Whine Connoisseur WhineMCABasket2.0t's Avatar
      Cars
      Lighten up Francis
      10-28-2016 06:18 PM #83
      Touareg is still the flagship isnt it? I thought this was supposed to be about the TReg size but more modest in options and drivetrain. More VW Pilot/Highlander and less baby Audi.
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit5GTI
      You have cornered the entire 'I hate Ford Fusions' market around here
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio!
      Pure electric vehicles will never fully replace fueled (pure ICE or PHEV) vehicles.

Cars
      MkVII GSW
      10-28-2016 06:32 PM #84
      I'll hold off on judging the appearance until I see one in person... I'm sure we'll consider this for replacing the Pilot down the road.

Cars
      2006 MkV GTI 6MT
      10-28-2016 07:19 PM #85
      I find it to be devoid of style... especially the interior. Clean, but bland and disappointing. Ugly, heavy-looking wheels even. Blunt front reminds me of the Kia Borrego. Similiar D-pillar to boot...

Last edited by hotshoe32; 10-28-2016 at 07:22 PM.
      Mechanical Engineer
      Former Nissan & BMW Salesman

Cars
      2008 Mazda 3
      10-28-2016 07:31 PM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by Hajduk View Post
      Styling that hampers practicality is one reason Mazdas sell so poorly.
      at least they look nice on dealer lots

13. Whine Connoisseur WhineMCABasket2.0t's Avatar
      Cars
      Lighten up Francis
      10-28-2016 07:33 PM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by hotshoe32 View Post
      I find it to be devoid of style... especially the interior. Clean, but bland and disappointing. Ugly, heavy-looking wheels even. Blunt front reminds me of the Kia Borrego. Similiar D-pillar to boot...

Costco has very affordable eye exams
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

Pure electric vehicles will never fully replace fueled (pure ICE or PHEV) vehicles.

14. Member
      Cars
      01 Passat GLS B5.5 1.8T, 02 Passat GLS B5.5 1.8T,02 EV GLS, 05 Passat GLS B5.5 1.8T 13 CC Sport 2.0T
      10-28-2016 07:49 PM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by P Q View Post
      Kinda looks like a stretched Grand Cherokee
      Explorer front and Grand Cherokee rear is how I see it...

10-28-2016 08:15 PM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      The US is probably one of the bottom 5 markets for VW, yet they still are vying for top manufacturer across the globe.. in other words, the US isn't a priority for the brand.
      If VW would get its act together, the US would be it's top or at least in the top 3. America alone accounts for more than 1 out of 5 new cars sold on planet Earth.

10-28-2016 08:38 PM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      If VW would get its act together, the US would be it's top or at least in the top 3. America alone accounts for more than 1 out of 5 new cars sold on planet Earth.
      It's got a lot to work on. I don't see any reason to get excited about another SUV that does nothing to set itself apart from the mass market. It sure might help if VW had a reputation for reliability and low pricing, Diesel-gate is one more problem too.
      4 BANGER 4 LIFE

17. 10-28-2016 08:56 PM #91
      It looks pretty good, I think it will look even better on the road. If they price it competitively and market it properly it should do good. I don't think gasoline prices will climb any time soon, but they should offer some sort of a hybrid/E version too.

What's with the mustard yellow tho? Out of a sudden we have color options?

Cars
      2017 VW Golf R
      10-28-2016 09:13 PM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by redbluevette View Post

Also love the interior.

Are those cloth seats? Or very heavily perforated leather?

Cars
      2016 Audi TTS; 2016 VW GTI w/PP
      10-28-2016 09:13 PM #93
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      Costco has very affordable eye exams

Cars
      2016 Audi TTS; 2016 VW GTI w/PP
      10-28-2016 09:20 PM #94
      The US market doesn't care for VWs the same way other countries do.. whether it be the way they drive, style, price, reliability, whatever.. do you mess with what's made you top 1 or 2 in the world to placate the point A to B US market?

21. Member
      Cars
      2017 A4 Limousine, 2011 Sonata Limited
      10-28-2016 09:48 PM #95
      Walmart is the largest retailer in the world and carries a wide variety of products. Not every manufacturer sells their highest volumes in Walmart, even if they do Ok there. Maybe most of their customers never shop there.

22. Member
      Cars
      2017 Golf R
      10-28-2016 09:48 PM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      2018 Volkswagen Atlas three-row midsize SUV will ride on the MQB platform.

Wait. This Mid-Size SUV rides on the same platform as the Golf?

'89 VW Jetta GLI | '02 VW GTI 1.8T | '05 Porsche Boxster | '05 Ducati Sport1000 | '06 VW GTI | '07 Porsche Cayman | '08 Ducati 848 | '14 Porsche 911 | '17 VW Golf R

Cars
      MkVII GSW
      10-28-2016 09:51 PM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post

Not really, MQB=Modular Transversal Toolkit... As someone said earlier, it's like Lego. Very adaptable.

24. 10-28-2016 09:54 PM #98

Yes. The Atlas is the North American market Polo.

25. Member
      Cars
      2017 Golf R
      10-28-2016 09:57 PM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      Not really, MQB=Modular Transversal Toolkit... As someone said earlier, it's like Lego. Very adaptable.
      Just read through the whole thread and the Incredible Hulk halloween costume is pretty accurate. It's.... very adaptable... yes. But opening the hood and seeing the engine a foot down in a big hole is pretty silly. Do you have to step over huge 12" sills to get in and out of the car too? New owners will be like, hey wait a minute, this is just a Jetta under all this!

Speaking of which, I love that my little Golf has more power than both the engines offered in this big SUV and a better drivetrain to boot.
      '89 VW Jetta GLI | '02 VW GTI 1.8T | '05 Porsche Boxster | '05 Ducati Sport1000 | '06 VW GTI | '07 Porsche Cayman | '08 Ducati 848 | '14 Porsche 911 | '17 VW Golf R

26. Whine Connoisseur WhineMCABasket2.0t's Avatar
      Cars
      Lighten up Francis
      10-28-2016 10:09 PM #100
      Just read through the whole thread and the Incredible Hulk halloween costume is pretty accurate. It's.... very adaptable... yes. But opening the hood and seeing the engine a foot down in a big hole is pretty silly. Do you have to step over huge 12" sills to get in and out of the car too? New owners will be like, hey wait a minute, this is just a Jetta under all this!

Speaking of which, I love that my little Golf has more power than both the engines offered in this big SUV and a better drivetrain to boot.
      Do you know how many owners ever pop their hood? If I didn't have to jump my neighbor a few weeks ago I'd be going on years without popping a hood. Nobody cares what it looks like.

Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast