VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

2018 Volkswagen Atlas three-row midsize SUV finally unveiled - Will be built in Tennessee, riding on the MQB platform

143K views 1K replies 204 participants last post by  mhjett 
#1 · (Edited)

The 2018 Volkswagen Atlas, unveiled tonight on the Santa Monica Pier at the end of historic Route 66, launches a new chapter in the company’s American history. Built in Tennessee, the seven-passenger Atlas offers class competitive levels of technology and spaciousness combined with hallmark Volkswagen driving dynamics and attention to detail, all at a price designed to draw customers’ attention in the family SUV segment.

“This is the biggest and boldest Volkswagen we have ever builtin the United States, delivering the distinctive design and craftsmanship we’re known for, now with room for seven, ” said Hinrich J. Woebcken, CEO of the North America Region, Volkswagen. “The Atlas marks a brand new journey for Volkswagen to enterinto the heart of the American market.”

Engineered from Volkswagen’s award-winning Modular Transverse Matrix (MQB) architecture, the Atlas draws on the latest Volkswagen design DNA to create a bold new look in the SUV segment. At 198.3 inches long, 77.9 inches wide, and 69.6 inches high, Atlas is larger than any other Volkswagen on sale in the U.S., yet it retains classic proportions and clean lines that create a sense of timelessness and precision. Up front, standard LED headlights and LED Daytime Running Lights combine for a unique visual signature, with optional LED taillights to complete the look.

Inside, the Atlas makes maximum use of its dimensions to offer space for seven adults and their luggage. The third row can be easily reached by an innovative folding seat solution, one that works even with child seats installed in the second row. Simple, driver-centric displays enhance the feeling behind the wheel rather than distracting from it; while the available Volkswagen Digital Cockpit allows drivers to reconfigure how they view vehicle information.

The available Volkswagen Car-Net® system provides a full suite of connected vehicle services, including standard App-Connect technology that offers integration with the three major smartphone platforms—Apple CarPlayTM, Android AutoTM and MirrorLink®. The vehicle also features an available Fender® Premium Audio System that is the most sophisticated yet seen in a Volkswagen, with 12 channels, a 480-watt amplifier and 12 speakers.

The Atlas offers available driver assistance features that had been previously been reserved for premium SUVs, at an affordable level. These include: Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC); Forward Collision Warning and Autonomous Emergency Braking (Front Assist); Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Traffic Alert; Lane Departure Warning (Lane Assist), which actively helps the driver steer the car back into its lane; and Parking Steering Assistant (Park Assist).

Also, theAtlas is the only vehicle in its class to offer the Automatic Post-Collision Braking System. This builds on the premise that a collision is rarely a single, instantaneous action, but rather a series of events that follow the initial impact—the most significant of which can cause additional collisions. The Automatic Post-Collision Braking System addresses this by applying the brakes when a primary collision is detected by the airbag sensors, thus helping reduce residual kinetic energy and, in turn, the chance of additional damage.

The Atlas arrives with a choice of two powertrains: the 2.0-liter turbocharged and direct-injection TSI® four cylinder with 238 horsepower or the available 3.6-liter VR6 engine with 280 horsepower. Either engine routes power through an eight-speed transmission to help maximize engine efficiency, and the Atlas can be configured either as front wheel-drive or with available 4Motion all-wheel-drive in VR6 trims. The 4Motion system has a Driving Mode Selection feature that allows the driver to select specific parameters based on driving conditions.

EPA fuel economy estimates will be released ahead of the launch in the Spring of 2017. The Atlas is built alongside the Passat at the Volkswagen Chattanooga assembly plant, the result of an additional $900 million investment by Volkswagen in the facility. The Chattanooga plant is the only automotive manufacturing facility in the world to receive Platinum certification by the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED) program.

See less See more
#1,156 ·
Chinese-market Teramont gets a substantial interior refresh and new fascias:

New interior:

#1,158 ·
Chinese-market Teramont gets a substantial interior refresh and new fascias:

New interior:

Nice refresh

#9 ·
Looks, well, like a Passat/Jetta styled SUV so no surprises there (seems like it'll get dated quickly, IMO).

Surprised they went so big. 198" is almost full Pathfinder and bigger than Highlander, Pilot, Explorer. VW also needs to fill the space below that. There's room for something between this and Tig, and Touareg isn't the same idea.

Name is still good.

#29 ·
As soon as they can convince GM to sell them Diesel engines.

#25 ·
THis thing looks alright outside. It's not killer. It's more masculine than I'd have thought. It's not offputting to soccer moms though. Kinda JGC like with the boxed off aggressive front end and a mild mid section. Love the spartan interior. What's the price? I bet the 2.0t tsi is great in this. Won't move it like a rocket but a nice torque around town and highway. I dont think I'm looking for a vehicle with this big a footprint but I'm curious.

#36 ·
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the competition that does have a smaller base engine is only on base trim in FWD only. I think the Highlander is too.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

#38 ·
Oh, VW is bringing something interesting with a decent engine instead of all the small turbo 4-pots?

Oh wait, US market only. :rolleyes:

Would've loved this here in Germany. Would've been even better with the 4.2 TFSI installed in various Audis and the Phaeton. Same peeve I have about the Amarok. If the Amarok came with the 4.2, I'd have already signed up for one.

#40 ·
This may actually be on my radar now. Nice interior, folding ability with a car seat in place is an awesome feature I'd get a lot of use from. Pretty good size trunk with the 3rd row up. I like the chiseled look and think it would age well in the world of swoopy, and sloped hatch /SUV's. A lot more usable room than some other competitors and I do like the LED DRL/Headlight/Taillight combo.

My only gripe would be no TSI motor, I'd want a V6. I own a 2.0T and while it's been pretty good it has had it's random and irritating flaws and issues. I'd rather have a smooth V6 turning away with minor maintenance nightmares down the road associated with turbos that I am not convinced have reached 100k 10 year status. Meaning they are good to "own" as they age in terms of reliability and maintenance costs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.