VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

2018 Volkswagen Atlas three-row midsize SUV finally unveiled - Will be built in Tennessee, riding on the MQB platform

143K views 1K replies 204 participants last post by  mhjett 
#1 · (Edited)

The 2018 Volkswagen Atlas, unveiled tonight on the Santa Monica Pier at the end of historic Route 66, launches a new chapter in the company’s American history. Built in Tennessee, the seven-passenger Atlas offers class competitive levels of technology and spaciousness combined with hallmark Volkswagen driving dynamics and attention to detail, all at a price designed to draw customers’ attention in the family SUV segment.

“This is the biggest and boldest Volkswagen we have ever builtin the United States, delivering the distinctive design and craftsmanship we’re known for, now with room for seven, ” said Hinrich J. Woebcken, CEO of the North America Region, Volkswagen. “The Atlas marks a brand new journey for Volkswagen to enterinto the heart of the American market.”

Engineered from Volkswagen’s award-winning Modular Transverse Matrix (MQB) architecture, the Atlas draws on the latest Volkswagen design DNA to create a bold new look in the SUV segment. At 198.3 inches long, 77.9 inches wide, and 69.6 inches high, Atlas is larger than any other Volkswagen on sale in the U.S., yet it retains classic proportions and clean lines that create a sense of timelessness and precision. Up front, standard LED headlights and LED Daytime Running Lights combine for a unique visual signature, with optional LED taillights to complete the look.

Inside, the Atlas makes maximum use of its dimensions to offer space for seven adults and their luggage. The third row can be easily reached by an innovative folding seat solution, one that works even with child seats installed in the second row. Simple, driver-centric displays enhance the feeling behind the wheel rather than distracting from it; while the available Volkswagen Digital Cockpit allows drivers to reconfigure how they view vehicle information.

The available Volkswagen Car-Net® system provides a full suite of connected vehicle services, including standard App-Connect technology that offers integration with the three major smartphone platforms—Apple CarPlayTM, Android AutoTM and MirrorLink®. The vehicle also features an available Fender® Premium Audio System that is the most sophisticated yet seen in a Volkswagen, with 12 channels, a 480-watt amplifier and 12 speakers.

The Atlas offers available driver assistance features that had been previously been reserved for premium SUVs, at an affordable level. These include: Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC); Forward Collision Warning and Autonomous Emergency Braking (Front Assist); Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Traffic Alert; Lane Departure Warning (Lane Assist), which actively helps the driver steer the car back into its lane; and Parking Steering Assistant (Park Assist).

Also, theAtlas is the only vehicle in its class to offer the Automatic Post-Collision Braking System. This builds on the premise that a collision is rarely a single, instantaneous action, but rather a series of events that follow the initial impact—the most significant of which can cause additional collisions. The Automatic Post-Collision Braking System addresses this by applying the brakes when a primary collision is detected by the airbag sensors, thus helping reduce residual kinetic energy and, in turn, the chance of additional damage.

The Atlas arrives with a choice of two powertrains: the 2.0-liter turbocharged and direct-injection TSI® four cylinder with 238 horsepower or the available 3.6-liter VR6 engine with 280 horsepower. Either engine routes power through an eight-speed transmission to help maximize engine efficiency, and the Atlas can be configured either as front wheel-drive or with available 4Motion all-wheel-drive in VR6 trims. The 4Motion system has a Driving Mode Selection feature that allows the driver to select specific parameters based on driving conditions.

EPA fuel economy estimates will be released ahead of the launch in the Spring of 2017. The Atlas is built alongside the Passat at the Volkswagen Chattanooga assembly plant, the result of an additional $900 million investment by Volkswagen in the facility. The Chattanooga plant is the only automotive manufacturing facility in the world to receive Platinum certification by the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED) program.

See less See more
#946 ·
Okay I have to ask why is it that you can't compare Trim lines for the Atlas on the VW website? I was going to see about test driving one of these this week but I want to make sure I'm looking at one that can have all the options I would want.

I can find it for other VW vehicles, am I just missing the link or did they forget to add it for the Atlas?

Options I need
Heated/Cooled front seats
Heated Rear seats
Android Auto

#961 ·
Finally test drove the Atlas SEL Premium (4Motion) on Saturday.

Overall it is a nice vehicle and everything felt and looked good inside. Only issue I had was the transmission/engine, it seemed to me that when I mashed the pedal down to accelerate that it really hesitated before shifting and didn't have the pickup I expected.

As far as the back seat my son had enough room to sit in the third row with me sitting in the second row (key requirement for a third row).

So I eliminated the Dodge Durango and 2018 Ford Expedition (too large/expensive).

I'm now down to two vehicles the 2018 Traverse and Atlas. I was impressed with the pickup of the Traverse and how nice it is. Plus they fixed the second row seats so the floor is lower which was a problem I felt in the 2017 version.

Price wise these two are about the same MSRP but the Traverse has larger discounts.

Still need my wife to look at them both but unless the Subaru Ascent just looks amazing when they show it on the 29th I think one of these will be our next vehicle.

#965 ·
similar until you compare the warranty and the Atlas will win every.damn.time. 6/72 is THE thing that sells that thing nevermind everything else it does in comparison is generally in the middle of the pack.

#966 ·
I've mentioned this before while a long warranty is great it also depends on the dealership and how you are treated if you bring it in due to an issue. While I have a plethora of Chevy dealers to choose from I only have 2 VW dealerships really (a couple are owned by the same conglomerate) and if the service is terrible the warranty won't matter.

Granted the 6/72 is one of the reasons why I can convince my wife to even look at a VW as she is worried about reliability in our long distance vehicle.

#968 ·
I drove the Atlas and Traverse last weekend. Unfortunately, the test drive was nearly worthless, as it is nothing like 90% of the driving we will do. It was a city loop with a brief freeway jaunt. Most of our driving is in winding mountain roads with occasional rough dirt roads and lots of hills.

Anyway, the Traverse was definitely faster and I felt like it rode better in the city. The Atlas steering felt better to me. My wife and I both preferred the layout of the dash in the Atlas and 3rd row access is better too. The cloth seats and non-leather steering wheel and shifter felt really cheap in the LS Traverse that we test drove. I guess they can't keep them on the lot for very long. All of the LTs were gone already. The Premium model is more than we want to spend, although we may end up with the SEL Atlas, so the pricing might be close.

In the end, my wife preferred the Atlas and she will be driving it most of the time. Now to see if we can swing the deal that we want. I have a broker on the case right now. We want a particularly rare color combo, so I'm not sure how it will work out. Only one match in Northern California right now.

#979 ·
We all know that issues likes these can and will be a headache for any new model ...... Like Pasateando said with his 2011 Ford he has had issues with his.

Volkswagen will fix the digital cockpit issues you gotta have faith :thumbup:

BTW ....... To all, I did stop by the Ford Booth at the San Fransciso Inernational Auto Show and was able to review the New Exsplorer. The Interior was so disapointing compared to the ATLAS. :facepalm:

#996 · (Edited)
On the atlas they did a nice job on the second row, lots of room. The exterior design is pretty goofy, especially the front, pretty boring to drive.

So far we are loving the power of the 3.5L ecoboost twin turbo on the 2017 explorer sport.

Yes, even though the explorer platform is 7 years old, they have quite a bit of improvements compared to our 2011 XLT.

The 2011 being first model year had a few issues:

Drivers door panel arm rest split at the fake stitching seam, warranty replacement also split :mad:. The 2017 has real stitching in that area.
Second row bench had some loose internal that was rattling, fixed under warranty.
Early models were not doing a good job with blow by air/oil separation, so redesigned valve cover was installed under warranty.
Paint on aluminum hood tends to bubble up on the front seam, ours is extremely minor and contained to the non-visible surface, but I have seem some pretty bad looking cases of paint peeling off.

Never thought we would buy a second explorer, but after cross shopping the Yukon XL (nice but interior seems dated) and the Range Rover Velar (great looking vehicle, but lacking the must needed 3rd row) and the Atlas, we found that the explorer sport had all the options we were looking for (sync 3 is day and night difference compared to the sync on or 2011) including the panoramic twin moon roof and the second seat with bucket seats and tech package within our price range.
On the other hand, if money was no objection, wife would have preferred a Range Rover Discovery :laugh:

Last I heard, the new explorer is a 2020 MY, couldn't wait that long for a replacement.
The '18 is a mild refresh vs. the '17, they redesigned the fog lights and they added sync connect which enables you to remote start your vehicle through a phone app.
Interior wise they are identical.

#997 · (Edited)
It's Land Rover discovery/ discovery sport. And Range Rover evoque, velar, sport, full size. Technically the range Rover is a Land Rover, but they are separate now and that is why every sign at the dealer says both.

As for the explorer they pulled a grand cherokee on us with the double refresh. Well I mean the second refresh was really just the fogs and rims like the Jeep as well. But they really need to update the explorer given the competition!

Some threads to looks at:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-debuting-this-week-to-compete-with-the-Atlas

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8943249-Third-Row-Comparison-Photos

#1,012 ·
Volkswagen Working On A Selection Of Atlas Variants

Volkswagen has confirmed that it is working on a selection of variants for the Atlas, evidently keen to make the most of the ongoing SUV and crossover boom.

According to VW Vortex, VW’s chief executive of the North American Region, Hinrich Woebcken, recently said the company isn’t happy leaving the Atlas as is and intends on creating a family of models.

Woebcken failed to specify what variants the Atlas expansion could involve but the carmaker has recently filed trademark applications for names including Atlas Allsport and Cross Sport.

As it stands, the VW starts at a very reasonable $30,500 for the entry-level TSI S model, fitted with a four-cylinder 2.0-liter turbo engine delivering 235 hp and 258 lb-ft of torque. Elsewhere in the range, VW offers a 3.6-liter V6 with 276 hp and 266 lb-ft and a plethora of optional, and luxury features. The range-topping Atlas SEL Premium with this V6 and all-wheel drive is priced from $48,490.
http://www.carscoops.com/2017/12/volkswagen-working-on-selection-of.html

#1,016 · (Edited)
Atlas all sport and cross sport coming:
http://www.vwvortex.com/news/new-vw-trademark-applications-hint-atlas-variants/

Cross sport concept (has dual screen setup from urus/q8 and is in the glc coupe/x4 territory)
http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/smaller-version-vw-atlas-greenlit-us-production

You can see the all sport rendering on far right (with Tig and atlas too). All sport will be t-roc (small q3 like SUV)
https://www.motor1.com/news/224388/vw-two-new-crossovers-coming/

#1,030 ·
Is there an issue with ground clearance at the mall?

#1,057 ·
VW Atlas, Tiguan SUVs Getting Two-Row Versions For The U.S.

They will trade seating for cargo space and be slightly cheaper.
At the same time manufacturers are scrambling to offer families three-row sport-utility vehicles, there also appears to be a spot in the seemingly limitless SUV market for big haulers with only two rows of seating. According to Automotive News, Volkswagen is the latest automaker to jump on this bandwagon by making a five-passenger version of the Atlas, and a long-wheelbase Tiguan that also foregoes the third bank of seating for cargo space.

Why offer a larger SUV with reduced seating? The primary motivation would seem to be sticker price, as the report says a five-seat Atlas will be a “slightly lower-positioned five-seater” while the Tiguan would actually get a bit smaller, with presumably a lower price point as well. On the manufacturing side, removing a set of seats is certainly much cheaper than creating a completely new model, so Volkswagen in essence can compete in multiple segments of the SUV and crossover market with just two models.

VW isn’t the first manufacturer to make such a move. Lexus recently unveiled a two-row version of its big LX 570 SUV, trading seats for cargo space while also dropping $6,000 off its price tag. As the SUV/crossover market continues to evolve – and get even more competitive – it’s virtually guaranteed that more automakers will follow suit.

The report doesn’t mention anything about a timetable for when Volkswagen will implement this update. Both the Atlas and redesigned Tiguan are new models, so it’s possible the lower-cost two-row derivatives won’t appear for a few years. One thing is for certain though – with buyers exhibiting a near-endless appetite for SUVs and crossovers of all shapes and sizes, having as many offerings as possible is something all automakers are keen to capitalize on.
https://www.motor1.com/news/225551/vw-atlas-tiguan-two-row-versions/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.