VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

2018 Volkswagen Atlas three-row midsize SUV finally unveiled - Will be built in Tennessee, riding on the MQB platform

143K views 1K replies 204 participants last post by  mhjett 
#1 · (Edited)

The 2018 Volkswagen Atlas, unveiled tonight on the Santa Monica Pier at the end of historic Route 66, launches a new chapter in the company’s American history. Built in Tennessee, the seven-passenger Atlas offers class competitive levels of technology and spaciousness combined with hallmark Volkswagen driving dynamics and attention to detail, all at a price designed to draw customers’ attention in the family SUV segment.

“This is the biggest and boldest Volkswagen we have ever builtin the United States, delivering the distinctive design and craftsmanship we’re known for, now with room for seven, ” said Hinrich J. Woebcken, CEO of the North America Region, Volkswagen. “The Atlas marks a brand new journey for Volkswagen to enterinto the heart of the American market.”

Engineered from Volkswagen’s award-winning Modular Transverse Matrix (MQB) architecture, the Atlas draws on the latest Volkswagen design DNA to create a bold new look in the SUV segment. At 198.3 inches long, 77.9 inches wide, and 69.6 inches high, Atlas is larger than any other Volkswagen on sale in the U.S., yet it retains classic proportions and clean lines that create a sense of timelessness and precision. Up front, standard LED headlights and LED Daytime Running Lights combine for a unique visual signature, with optional LED taillights to complete the look.

Inside, the Atlas makes maximum use of its dimensions to offer space for seven adults and their luggage. The third row can be easily reached by an innovative folding seat solution, one that works even with child seats installed in the second row. Simple, driver-centric displays enhance the feeling behind the wheel rather than distracting from it; while the available Volkswagen Digital Cockpit allows drivers to reconfigure how they view vehicle information.

The available Volkswagen Car-Net® system provides a full suite of connected vehicle services, including standard App-Connect technology that offers integration with the three major smartphone platforms—Apple CarPlayTM, Android AutoTM and MirrorLink®. The vehicle also features an available Fender® Premium Audio System that is the most sophisticated yet seen in a Volkswagen, with 12 channels, a 480-watt amplifier and 12 speakers.

The Atlas offers available driver assistance features that had been previously been reserved for premium SUVs, at an affordable level. These include: Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC); Forward Collision Warning and Autonomous Emergency Braking (Front Assist); Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Traffic Alert; Lane Departure Warning (Lane Assist), which actively helps the driver steer the car back into its lane; and Parking Steering Assistant (Park Assist).

Also, theAtlas is the only vehicle in its class to offer the Automatic Post-Collision Braking System. This builds on the premise that a collision is rarely a single, instantaneous action, but rather a series of events that follow the initial impact—the most significant of which can cause additional collisions. The Automatic Post-Collision Braking System addresses this by applying the brakes when a primary collision is detected by the airbag sensors, thus helping reduce residual kinetic energy and, in turn, the chance of additional damage.

The Atlas arrives with a choice of two powertrains: the 2.0-liter turbocharged and direct-injection TSI® four cylinder with 238 horsepower or the available 3.6-liter VR6 engine with 280 horsepower. Either engine routes power through an eight-speed transmission to help maximize engine efficiency, and the Atlas can be configured either as front wheel-drive or with available 4Motion all-wheel-drive in VR6 trims. The 4Motion system has a Driving Mode Selection feature that allows the driver to select specific parameters based on driving conditions.

EPA fuel economy estimates will be released ahead of the launch in the Spring of 2017. The Atlas is built alongside the Passat at the Volkswagen Chattanooga assembly plant, the result of an additional $900 million investment by Volkswagen in the facility. The Chattanooga plant is the only automotive manufacturing facility in the world to receive Platinum certification by the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED) program.

See less See more
#312 ·
Oy. Yeah, the Genesis station across the way was getting a lot of attention.

Atlas was just sitting there alone with nothing near it.

#317 ·
They had one at the Portland auto show this last weekend and it was open to sit in. Drew quite a lot of people to it, and it looked well in dark grey.

The Touareg was behind in and jumping from one to the other you can easily tell the difference in interior quality , but for the money the Atlas is a lot of vehicle - it had great presence and the front seats were almost GTI like in the lateral support. I hope it does well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#322 ·
This is the cars debut. I expect VW to add to it every year going forward. We will see HP gains and eventually new engine options. VW needs an updated V6 badly! A 3.0T would make sense.

#348 ·
I just had a Chevy traverse for vacation. It's steering feel is weird. Firm at low speeds and light on the highway, opposite of what I prefer

The 3rd row is easy to operate with plenty of ventilation

2nd row not intuitive to use and clunky in operation

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

#352 ·
Alot of talk in here about the market and car buyers not going to go with an Atlas over the competition. I look at my case, I need a midsize SUV, the Golf is cutting it right now for a daily beater, but I eventually want to get into a midsize for that. The current Tiguan and the new one do nothing for me, nor does any of it's competition. The same goes for the Atlas, all of it's Japanese competitors are boring and bland, its domestic competitors feel cheap and overpriced for what you get, whereas the Atlas seems to be the most mature of the bunch. But that's just my opinion.

Screw what I think and what I want, my lady is due for a new car and she found the Atlas on her own, knows very little about cars, doesn't even shop in the same segment of vehicles, that right there people, is the average car buyer. She was looking at Macan 2.0T, and I talked her out of it, then looked at the Nissan Rogue, talked her out of it, then last week she brought up a 4runner, and even awhile back she mentioned a CX-3. She found the Atlas through some consumer reports article and has been talking about it non-stop. She likes that it looks rugged, but upscale inside, and can fit a kayak inside of it (I dont get the big deal, but for whatever reason means a lot to her). She doesn't even know about the TDI scandal beyond what she has heard me talk about or read out loud. The Atlas is going to be a massive hit to non-car people and VW enthusiasts wanted a midsize SUV from their beloved brand.

I think it will sell well, and so far it's looking like one will be in the driveway at some point.

#365 ·
She likes that it looks rugged, but upscale inside, and can fit a kayak inside of it (I dont get the big deal, but for whatever reason means a lot to her).
Because she's short? My wife can manage to get our kayaks or SUPs in the back of her Durango for a short trip, but getting them on the roof on her own for a longer trip - not a chance in hell. She'd gladly consider a vehicle that she could get them into easily. It's a big reason she misses our old Yukon XL.

#509 ·
#380 ·
Let's go back to TCL's class darling, the Mazda cx9.

It has class leading styling.
It has class leading driving dynamics.
It has class leading dash stroking.
It has an advanced technology turbo motor

So, why doesn't it sell like hotcakes? Why do boring competition sell better?

Mazda doesn't have a scandal of Dieselgate dogging them either.

#382 ·
Let's go back to TCL's class darling, the Mazda cx9.

It has class leading styling.
It has class leading driving dynamics.
It has class leading dash stroking.
It has an advanced technology turbo motor

So, why doesn't it sell like hotcakes? Why do boring competition sell better?

Mazda doesn't have a scandal of Dieselgate dogging them either.

That class leading styling hinders interior space.
It's advanced tech turbo is still outgunned by a typical V6.

#383 ·

Press Release said:
VOLKSWAGEN ATLAS WEEKEND EDITION DEMONSTRATES GO-ANYWHERE APPEAL AND VERSATILITY

Atlas Weekend Edition pays homage to Volkswagen’s go-anywhere spirit
Weekend Edition provides innovative cargo and entertainment solutions
Accessories enhance the flexibility of all-new seven-passenger SUV

HERNDON, VA (February 8, 2017) — The all-new 2018 Volkswagen Atlas that will hit American roads this Spring was designed to let people live a life as big as their imaginations. At the 2017 Chicago Auto Show, Volkswagen of America, Inc., will demonstrate how the Atlas can be enhanced with smart accessories in a new concept, the Atlas Weekend Edition.

Volkswagen enthusiasts may appreciate the throwback to the “Weekender” packages offered on the classic Vanagon and Eurovan pop-up camper models. The Atlas Weekend Edition integrates several available accessories that enhance the Chattanooga-built SUV’s versatility with innovative cargo solutions.

The Weekend Edition concept is based on an SEL Premium model, equipped with a 3.6-liter VR6® engine making 276 hp and an eight-speed transmission, paired with Volkswagen’s advanced 4Motion® all-wheel drive with Drive Mode Select.

Riding on 18-inch Prisma wheels finished in a custom anthracite gray, the Atlas Weekend Edition features a modern variation of the pop-up roof—the Urban Loader cargo box. When empty, the Urban Loader offers a sleek, minimized appearance; when needed for hauling, it can expand to a 17.7 cubic-foot container. In addition, the Weekend Edition features base carrier bars for attaching accessories for skis, snowboards, kayaks or bikes. Reaching the extra roof storage or helping small children into the vehicle is easy with practical side steps.

Inside the Atlas Weekend Edition, a robust cargo divider provides a safe, pet-friendly barrier behind the second row, so that pets can ride in comfort. The Weekend Edition’s second row also features an innovative universal tablet mount that allows passengers to bring any popular variety of touchscreen tablet along for a getaway. The design provides easy access to the home button on the most common models, and the tablets can use the Atlas available Media Control feature using Wi-Fi technology for Android and iOS tablets and smartphones.

Other Volkswagen accessories built into the Atlas Weekend Edition concept include window and hood deflectors, a heavy-duty trunk liner with seat-back coverage, a privacy cargo cover, all-weather rubber mats, splashguards, and wheel locks. Many of these accessories will be available from Volkswagen dealers when the Atlas goes on sale in Spring 2017.

#388 ·
LOL, built-in bro light bar. :facepalm:

#393 ·
Yes, more meaty tires but less ground clearance with the running boards/steps (expected but look like it's quite a bit of reduction) this is basically their accessory catalog preview.

#394 ·
I really hope we get a real R edition to this down the road. Explorer sport does great and SRT keeps and Durangos are around.. It needs a slight drop, better suspension and Audi V6. Use the old S4 engine the SQ5 used? 333 ponies would get it inline with the explorer sport.

#402 ·
I like the Autoweek guy's conclusion:

A roomy SUV with VW pricing is something Volkswagen has needed for a long time, and the Atlas ticks all the right boxes and more. With a starting price in the low $30,000 range, it seems too good to be true for those used to car-based German station wagons and jacked-up hatches (we're looking at you, Mercedes GLA-Class) at twice this price. The knee-jerk reaction some will have is, "Where's my twin-turbo V8 and napa leather interior?" Answer: At the Porsche dealership where it belongs.
Seems like price was the biggest unknown here and, with a solid product priced right, they just might have a success on their hands.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.