VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

2016 1.4L turbo mods

80K views 77 replies 26 participants last post by  ozone377 
#1 ·
picked up a 2016 1.4L jetta a few months back and have had absolutely no luck finding aftermarket parts myself so I have decided to rely upon current VW owners/experts. Everything that I want to modify has to deal with the engine such as intake, intercooler, exhaust, chipping, etc. The only things I've been able to "modify" was that I put a Carbon Fiber rear spoiler lip on the trunk which looks pretty sharp. The other thing that I did was 20% tint all the way around. Its black on black so it make it look more sleek. However I am a man in need of POWER!! Can anyone help point me in the right direction for engine/exhaust mods. I have found just about everything for a 2016 Jetta with a 1.8L but nothing for the 1.4L. Also if you have any modifications done to your vehicle I would love to see pictures of how they turned out. I am new to this forum so I'm hoping for the most part people will be helpful and friendly!

#2 ·
just a quick update. I've been doing a good amount of research and the only thing I was able to come by that seems reliable enough to try is this cold air intake. I'm looking to order it next Friday and hook it up. I triple checked to make sure that it would fit the 1.4L and they reassured me that it would. I will post before and after pictures and videos and a short review of it overall. Here is a link if anyone would like to look at getting one themselves...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/21-797C-AEM...ash=item2a73121318:g:3~gAAOSwYIxYBmje&vxp=mtr

#3 ·
I wouldn't waste your time on an intake unless your looking for some more sound from under the hood. A guy on here has a thread where he made one for about $120. $270 is a lot of dough for No noticeable gain. Burger motorsports is supposed to be releasing a JB1 module for our cars in November. Not sure if thats still happening or not but if your looking for more power I would hold off until then or email someone from there to find out if thats still happening. Back in august is the last time i spoke with someone from there and it was still in the works. And its plug and play so warranty safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Cts turbo intake looks sick and im planning on waiting for apr to release the stg 1 tune prob around summer. Also im planning on cutting off both rear and mid mufflers and installing a flo pro twister resonator. I have a 2017 vw jetta 1.4t manual and its so much fun. Also if u go to ecs tuning there is lots of upgrade parts as springs and coilovers as well as lil stuff...Ecs tuning has lots of parts for literally everything on it. Hope this helps:)

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

#14 ·
I've had my 2016 1.4 since may 2016. In that time I have gotten a custom straight pipe cat back, forge motorsports boost pipe upgrade with blow off valve, dieselgeek short shifter, p3 multi gauge, racechip tune, injen short ram intake, trunk spoiler, spyder smoked projector led headlights, stage 2 dogbone insert. Others are cosmetic but I'm putting down 193hp with 250 torque. Though I have not yet got it dyno'ed to see how legit those numbers are but that's what I'm putting down according to my tuning program. I'm waiting for a downpipe to be made but I have read gulf downpipe will fit our jetta. I'm in talks with hpa motorsports and 42 dd on their professional opinion or if they have test fit one yet. But yes unfortunately for our 1.4 not much is available. Everybody wants to mod gti or 1.8. I'm opposite, I wanna start small and build it up, not get a head start with a decent powerful car already and slap a couple bolt ons and say I built it.

#31 ·
Rabbit. Everyone talks about the Flash with Unitronic. My VW does not have a warranty because it was in water. I am with you Racechip gives you more Torque and HP. Why is everyone sold on the Flash over the RaceChip? I have been reading all the forums to see what I want to do first and found all your post and mods (I did the AEM over the weekend Intake not on board with BOV yet). Any idea why no one followed you to the Racechip?

#48 ·
Hey there. Just stating facts. After all we drive an economy vehicle and at least I want to spend my money wisely. VW does not downgrade our engine power when they release a new model year. Why would it be acceptable when racechip does it with their chip? If you are not bothered by getting a product which gets detuned later it’s your money ..
The cpa chip I got after that ordeal is also made in Germany but they also are in the US and have lifetime warranty with a free migration.

#50 ·
Unless you are putting more air volume through the turbo putting that huge intercooler is going to increase your lag very noticeably.

I installed a mishimoto J line intercooler in preparation before putting in a hybrid turbo and the lag was there since the first minute. After the turbo was replaced with the hybrid one then the spooling came back to near stock levels.

This is what the install looks like in my mk7 golf with the intercooler "upside down" for better fitment and yes, the stock watercooler for the intake manifold was taken out and the water lines coupled. You could leave the watercooler there but at that point it will just become a restriction in the intake path so I decided to leave it out.

EDIT: I could've sworn that there was a post with a link to a wagner intercooler just above mine. Weird.

#57 ·
I haven't dyno it yet and I'm still using the JB4 map1 but, if RTMG is to be believed, with a proper custom tune it should be good for about 230hp which puts it on stock gti territory on a lighter package. I'll try to get that done in the next month or so as I also have a pending Peloquin LSD install. This is just a fun track car project.

#63 ·
Can you elaborate more on how you went about routing the coolant hoses once you installed the block off plate ??? How exactly did you tee it off can you provide a picture or diagram possibly? I’m really trying to go for a nice build and I want to make sure I do it right because I’m spending a lot of money. Also can I keep the stock turbo and stock oem ecu settings when doing this install ? And if so will my jetta run like stock??? Please help I will pay u. Is there anyway I can get into contact with you brother ? Thanks

#64 ·
Of course using the block off plates will require a new upgraded intercooler. The charge are will be cooler for longer unless you are running it hard in which case you might run into heat soak issues. Your car will run like stock. You can keep stock turbo. You can keep it stock but that is no fun. The intercooler will not provide a lot of increase in performance unless your tuned. If you have more questions. Do not reply to me here. Just reply to me on your own thread on this 1.4t forum so we can stay within the forums rules.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.