VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Short Ram / Cold Air Intake

63K views 148 replies 29 participants last post by  Rjsaenz801 
#1 · (Edited)
Has anyone tried making one on their own and if so, did they throw a CEL? I have been looking at intakes online from the few manufacturers that offer the intake and it looks like it's pretty basic to me. Since there is no MAF, an insert is out of the question.

Ultimately I plan on making one myself as $250-$300 for an intake is ridiculous when you can piece one together for $80-$120 plus the cost of a breather filter (depending on if you wsnt a short ram or cold air intake)

Any ideas?

(specifically the EA211 motor)

**Update/end result***
So far this is what it currently looks like. I have driven about 5,000 miles without any issues. I will reroute the coolant hose at a later time.

See less See more
#10 · (Edited)
Went to the store (Autozone) and grabbed whatever they had to throw something together. Ordered a 3"x1' aluminum piece from Amazon. Wrapped it from the leftover header heat wrap I had (for insulation). Need 3 couplers now and possibly a 3"x4" pipe to push the filter over a little more..just so it can line up with the OEM duct.
I will probably work on a headshield later on *shrug*

All mocked up right now...will post pics when it is installed.

Sent from my LG V10 using Tapatalk

#13 · (Edited)
Installed. Definitely louder during spool-up with the whoosh....I like it.

Oh and FYI if you plan on running a 3" intake, the turbo inlet is 2.5". Specture couplers from the auto parts store have a reducer inside so it works out perfectly.

#20 ·
Just took a quick video while parked. The intake sounds a little throaty when driving versus parked so I will have to pull out my gopro. Ill try to get a video tomorrow while driving.

https://vimeo.com/192208985

#21 ·
Just took a quick video while parked. The intake sounds a little throaty when driving versus parked so I will have to pull out my gopro. Ill try to get a video tomorrow while driving.

Nice!!

When shopping for parts online, a lot say they aren't made for Turbo- or Super-charged engines. Anyone know why this might be? Should I even worry about that?

#24 ·
So just to recap. From what I can, tell these are the parts you did this with:

- THREE 3" to 3" couplers
- ONE 3" to 2.5" coupler
- ONE 3" diameter, 45 degree aluminum elbow
- ONE 3" diameter, 90 degree aluminum elbow (I MIGHT INSTEAD REPLACE THIS AND TWO REGULAR COUPLERS WITH A 90 DEGREE COUPLER ELBOW BOOT)
- ONE 3" diameter, 12" long aluminum tube
- ONE 3" diameter, 6" long aluminum tube
- ONE air filter
- ONE small breather filter
- Some zip ties

Am I missing anything?

#26 ·
Oh and remember that the 12" tube will need to be cut a little to line everything up. I think I cut off about an inch or so from mine so that the tube can run parallel to the radiator/support.

#27 ·
I ended up ordering three 6" long tubes. I don't have anything to cut up a longer tube with. This came out slightly cheaper than buying a longer tube anyway, including the extra coupler I'd need. And I ordered the 90 degree angle coupler, which is a bit shorter than the aluminum counterpart, so that might cut down the length a bit. If I still have to cut, then I'll buy or borrow something, but we'll see. Only received two parts so far, but I should have the rest by the end of the week.

#28 ·
Ok so I got all my parts ready to go. Just have to figure out how to take out the OEM air box and stuff. I have a general idea of what to do but this is still my first time. Not sure which hoses should go where or can just be left alone. Any guidance will be appreciated.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

#35 ·
No problem. I figured it out in the end. Ended up cutting my finger in the process. I might swap the 45degree pipe with a 65degree one because mine just out more than the one you have. I was barely able to close the hood. And getting the coupler onto the turbo inlet was a pain in the butt. I noticed my car doesn't seem to be sucking in air as loudly as in your video after starting it and revving the engine. Could that be because of how cold it is outside? It gets louder after driving a bit.

#36 ·
question

i made my own intake with the flexible pipe crap they sell at the auto parts store and I'm not really happy with the look of it...what did you use to connect the pipe to the turbo itself? i currently have the stock section off the turbo with that stupid little organ pipe looking thing

#37 ·
i made my own intake with the flexible pipe crap they sell at the auto parts store and I'm not really happy with the look of it...what did you use to connect the pipe to the turbo itself? i currently have the stock section off the turbo with that stupid little organ pipe looking thing
I used a 3" diameter silicone coupler that comes with a 2.5" adapter insert to connect to the turbo. That was attached to a 45 degree aluminum elbow on the 3" side.

#45 ·
Yeah we do not have one. The only way (currently) to achieve this is to buy this or something similar:

The only issue is that there is no hole (at the bend) to accommodate the sensor. So you would have to figure out a way to attach it without causing any air leaks

#47 ·
Meh, doesnt seem too complicated. If you buy the pipe, you will need to make one hole and just figure out a way to keep the sensor in place. The only reason why I have not done it yet is because the pipe they are offering is too expensive. Wish I knew how to weld.

#50 ·
ATTEMPT WITH 2 couplers and PVC PIPE

soooooo just ordered filters, 45 degree coupler and 90 degree coupler and im gonna attempt to fill in the rest with pvc. keep it on the cheap side with some paint or hopefully get some black pvc 3" its cheap at lowes for like 6 bucks for 10 ft. i paid 37 bucks for both couplers (2.5" to 3" 45 degree and a 3" 90 degree) as well as the 3" inlet air filter and a little breather filter. ill keep you guys updated with some pics:pic::pic::pic: when they arrive and how i route and mount everything. hoping to build an air box as well :thumbup:we will see what wonders i can find at lowes or home depot on the cheap :p:rolleyes:

#51 ·
soooooo just ordered filters, 45 degree coupler and 90 degree coupler and im gonna attempt to fill in the rest with pvc. keep it on the cheap side with some paint or hopefully get some black pvc 3" its cheap at lowes for like 6 bucks for 10 ft. i paid 37 bucks for both couplers (2.5" to 3" 45 degree and a 3" 90 degree) as well as the 3" inlet air filter and a little breather filter. ill keep you guys updated with some pics:pic::pic::pic: when they arrive and how i route and mount everything. hoping to build an air box as well [emoji106]we will see what wonders i can find at lowes or home depot on the cheap :p:rolleyes:
Sounds like a plan. Keep us posted. I still havnt made a shield yet....Im being lazy about it..smh

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.