Fourtitude.com - 1st Gen Acura TSX vs 8th Gen Honda Civic SI
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

View Poll Results: Acura TSX or Civic Si for daily commuter?

Voters
    51. You may not vote on this poll
    • 1st Gen TSX

21 41.18%
    • 8th Gen Civic SI

30 58.82%
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      Cars
      Mutt Mobile
      07-27-2016 07:29 PM #1
      I'm looking at buying a new to me commuter car. My last one was an '05 Infiniti G35x that I ran into the ground and for the last year I've been wearing out my truck and burning a lot of dinosaur bones. I drive roughly 30-35,000 miles a year and want a car that isn't quite as expensive on maintenance and gas as the G35 was, yet is still fun to drive and not dog slow. I posted a tourists dash cam video of part of my daily commute. I live in a canyon that is a fun drive and tourists feel the need to film their drive on a daily basis so a 'rolla or other ecoshizbox is just not gonna cut it for me.

I've narrowed down my choices to the TSX or Civic Si due to A) Low maintenance costs B) Fuel Economy C) can be had in manual and D) decent handling for a commuter type car. I thought about buying a salvage title C5 Z06 for $13K but the low ground clearance might get annoying especially on my steep dirt driveway. I already have a motorcycle for when I feel the need for speed.

Who's driven/owned both cars? What's TCL's choice?

vs

https://youtu.be/jwBaGY67olI?t=15m26s

2. Remove Advertisements
      Fourtitude.com
      Advertisements
    3. Member
      Cars
      1995 M3
      07-27-2016 07:32 PM #2
      Paging Ross...

I've long wanted an 8th Gen Si, but found them to be way too expensive for such an old commuter-mobile -- at least for a relatively low-mile, clean title example.

Cars
      2011 Si
      07-27-2016 07:49 PM #3
      Would rather have a TSX as a commuter, and I'm in the middle of an 8th gen build (see sig).

Cars
      2009 VW Rabbit; 2014 Honda VFR800
      07-27-2016 07:53 PM #4
      Get the Si! Look for an especially clean post 2008 one to make sure there are no transmission issues. Test drive it when the car is cold in case the previous owner is trying to hide a rough shifting transmission.

Can't go wrong with a gen 1 TSX either tho tbh. Less redline but more torque with the k24. Also more luxurious. Less sporty for sure though, not even LSD equipped. Still a great car though, what a problem to be having picking between these two!
      Full time manual transmission elitist
      Part time arm chair CEO
      Those who do not move do not notice their chains- Rosa Luxemburg

6. Member In 4 Bagels, Left Hungry's Avatar
      Cars
      06 Civic Si, 98 M3 convertible
      07-27-2016 07:58 PM #5
      I've never driven a tsx but i daily a 06 si coupe, owned it for almost 5 years now. Been relatively problem free, nothing major broke and it never left me stranded.

That said, there are a few issues i faced.

3rd gear grind/crunchy syncro, very common in these (swapped manual transmission fluid w/ amsoil)
      Sun visors will begin to not stay up (bought oem replacement online)
      eBrake handle cracked (bought oem replacement online)
      Rear tires camber was off (apparently like this from honda, at least in early 8th gens) and would eat up tires. Bought adjustable camber arms, fine now.

Mine is 100% stock and i drive it like i stole it everyday. 130k miles and going strong. Never any issues w/ the motor itself.. it is truly bulletproof.

I would imagine w/ the tsx also having the k20 that the difference between the 2 would be minimal, just more luxurious interior.

Cars
      '17 Golf R DSG, '12 Crosstour V6 AWD nav, '09 Civic Si 4d nav
      07-27-2016 08:06 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by In 4 Bagels, Left Hungry View Post
      I've never driven a tsx but i daily a 06 si coupe, owned it for almost 5 years now. Been relatively problem free, nothing major broke and it never left me stranded.

That said, there are a few issues i faced.

3rd gear grind/crunchy syncro, very common in these (swapped manual transmission fluid w/ amsoil)
      Sun visors will begin to not stay up (bought oem replacement online)
      eBrake handle cracked (bought oem replacement online)
      Rear tires camber was off (apparently like this from honda, at least in early 8th gens) and would eat up tires. Bought adjustable camber arms, fine now.

Mine is 100% stock and i drive it like i stole it everyday. 130k miles and going strong. Never any issues w/ the motor itself.. it is truly bulletproof.

I would imagine w/ the tsx also having the k20 that the difference between the 2 would be minimal, just more luxurious interior.
      TSX has a K24, totally different experience. I personally would go with the Si. Yes it's a worse daily but not by much and they are so much more fun.
      Past: '06 Accord V6, '95 Taurus SHO, '01 ITR, '98 Civic HX CVT

Quote Originally Posted by jamerican1
      Dude, you know you're like the opposite of a purist, right?

Cars
      '17 Subaru Legacy Sport
      07-27-2016 08:24 PM #7
      I had an '08 Civic Si for 18 months and 40k miles on it.

New, these make decent commuters. The TSX will no doubt be more comfortable, but the Civic is a livable commuter. I drove mine pretty hard (it was lease) and had almost no problems with it. The clutch engagement was always finicky, 2nd gear would occasionally grind, and mine lost one of the plastic caps on the windshield wipers.

Other than that, I took it to redline several times per day, occasionally ran it on 87 octane when I was feeling cheap, and overall enjoyed the car minus the fact that the clutch made my foot an ankle throb. These things have a wonderful engine note, even with a stock intake and exhaust. The only car I think sounds better and is reasonably affordable is the MKIV R32 with the flapper mod.
      =

Cars
      Honda Fanboy Collection
      07-27-2016 08:26 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by cournot View Post
      Would rather have a TSX as a commuter, and I'm in the middle of an 8th gen build (see sig).
      agree, TSX will be far better on the highway and if you have a lot of traffic the auto is a help. we own a TSX, haven't had it long, but it's a great ride. it is more a competitor to the older 3 series than a comparable car to the civic. it also has heated seats.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

10. 07-27-2016 08:37 PM #9
      Definitely get the Civic Si if you can. They are fun to drive and aren't that bad on the highway.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      Modded = beat to ****
      Stock = driven by 87 year old grandmother
      Miss Daisy might not do all her own work and rub her car with a diaper, but she also wasn't a flatbrim bro who hoped boosted VTAK would make women jump into the car naked at 50mph.

Cars
      Ghetto35
      07-27-2016 08:53 PM #10
      Si, no contest.

Shortly before I bought my dearly departed '08 Si sedan, I test drove an '07 or '08 TSX 6-speed. It was one of those slide whistle moments. They're good cars and all, but they aren't really much nicer, quieter, or more comfortable than an Si, plus they're like a 20 on the Samson Skee Ball Car Fun Scale. The Si is one of those hard-to-get 100s in the corner. Other Si bonuses include seats that don't look and feel like wrinkled plastic (though you could get lucky), a redline that doesn't feel like it's 1,000 rpm too low, no one-wheel-peels, and you can actually feel the VTEC changeover. Positives for the TSX are HIDs, heated seats, probably lower insurance, and it looks a bit more grown up.

The TSX just felt like it could have been better, but was neutered for some reason (hello, TL). The Si feels like it does what it's supposed to, and doesn't make much of a compromise to get there, for better or worse. If the TSX were noticeably more "luxurious" or even half as fun as an Si, that may change things, but it's not.

12. 07-27-2016 09:26 PM #11
      TSX is an excellent car. My family has had one for ten years, one owner, and has been brilliant to drive in town, and on the highway for 4 hours to the beach house. It'll get 35mpg highway at 70mph, and is quick off the line at a stoplight. Don't get the nav, as it's outdated by now.

The Si is also a good car, and I know several TCL folks have 'em.

Cars
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      07-27-2016 09:42 PM #12
      I've never had the pleasure of driving an 8th gen or newer Si, but I have driven a manual '04 TSX. The car itself is fine, nicely sized and comfortable, but the driving experience didn't excite me. I didn't mind wringing the engine out, but when doing it coming out of a turn, you really felt the open differential and inside-wheel spin. The Si's helical LSD alone has to give it the win for a manual driver's car.

Left field thought. Right now $10k US gets you $13k Canadian, meaning there's some good car deals north of the border. Canada actually got an Acura branded version of the 8th gen Si, the CSX Type-S. It looks good, is nicely equipped, and bridges the gap between the Si and TSX. Unlike the ILX 2.4 that came later, I'm pretty sure the CSX-S kept the Si's LSD.

14. 07-27-2016 09:56 PM #13
      Civic Si. Buy Hondata FlashPro. Drive it.

You're welcome.

Cars
      swedish POS, one of 341 made, Montego blue 5M LSD NA.
      07-28-2016 12:36 AM #14
      I've been asking this question myself TSX or Si or Kizashi.

I've recently saw an 06 and an 08 TSX for less than $10K and with under 100K miles (both manuals ), which has restored my confidence in being able to find a good one for a reasonable price. I've driven an (auto) TSX before, and it feels very high quality- a "forever" car or a car I could keep many years, like my IS300. Now it's not as much as a drivers car as the Si, but it's no slouch either in the grand scheme of things. Everyone whose owned a TSX seems to love them.

Might get a new car (hopefully a TSX) as a Christmas present to myself
      Typical forum guy with busted third-hand cars.
      Quote Originally Posted by Kiyokix View Post
      I like this guy, I like this guy a lot.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

Cars
      1996 Porsche 911, 2006 Acura CSX
      07-28-2016 08:56 AM #15
      Can't speak for the TSX, but the placement of the Civic's parking brake handle makes me insane with rage. I'm 6 feet tall with long legs and that handle is right where my knee rests. Makes it uncomfortable on long drives.

Cars
      Honda Fanboy Collection
      07-28-2016 09:42 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by 88c900t View Post

I've recently saw an 06 and an 08 TSX for less than $10K and with under 100K miles (both manuals ), which has restored my confidence in being able to find a good one for a reasonable price. I've driven an (auto) TSX before, and it feels very high quality- a "forever" car or a car I could keep many years, like my IS300. Now it's not as much as a drivers car as the Si, but it's no slouch either in the grand scheme of things. Everyone whose owned a TSX seems to love them.
      note, you can also hondata flash TSX's for good power as well. the TSX is simply a more refined car, which for a commuter is what you probably really want. the SI is a better performance car, but insurance is higher, it turns higher revs on the highway, has less sound deadening, lacks HIDs/heated seats, and is manual only. it's easier to find a non-riced out TSX, but they do tend to have more miles as they are such reliable and long lasting cars.
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

Cars
      2011 Si
      07-28-2016 11:52 AM #17
      Okay I should probably qualify my prior answer by stating that I'm currently mid-modifying my Si and it has a massive exhaust leak which may have biased my response a bit.

Out of the box, the Si is far more performance oriented. Closer gear ratios, lighter weight, LSD, far more aggressive suspension, (slightly) more rigid chassis. What it lacks, and the TSX has, is sound deadening, HIDs, leather seats, and a slightly bigger tire which leads to lower cruising RPM versus the Si (they otherwise share the same 6th gear and final drive ratio).

All of these changes do add up, and the TSX feels like a sporty small sedan and the Si feels like a FWD sports car (I'm using the term very loosely). You can absolutely daily an Si, but the TSX feels a bit more relaxed doing so.

Both can be modified heavily, but at the end of the day, you can't make the Si into a TSX, and vice versa (although the latter is more possible if you want to rip into the interior and lose weight).

Cars
      UberBlack
      07-28-2016 11:58 AM #18
      I've read this generation Si is an absolute blast to drive. The looks kill it for me, but I'd still go Civic. I really want to get behind the wheel of one.

Cars
      BMW 328i GT, BMW X1, Mercedes C250
      07-28-2016 12:01 PM #19
      My sister in law has 180K miles on her 2007 TSX. Car has been flawless and bulletproof reliable. If you could find one that's five speed manual, it's rather fun to drive.
      Plus, you can't get leather seats in Si, so I voted for TSX.
      Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Cars
      2014 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2011 Toyota Camry LE, 2006 NC Miata, 2007 Dodge Dakota 4.7 (work)
      07-28-2016 12:12 PM #20
      I doubt this will be an issue in Colorado, but I had to take the 8th gen SI off my shopping list back when I bought my GTI due to weak AC. It was sweltering in the car during the test drive on a day in the low 90's, and it gets a lot hotter than that in a normal summer. I don't know if the TSX would suffer the same issues.
      Past: 1998 Accord V6 LX
      2007 Mazdaspeed 3 (KIA 2-24-11)
      2009 Mazdaspeed 3 (KIA 9-19-11)
      2003 Jetta GLS 2.slow (good riddance)
      2010 VW GTI

Cars
      Hondas
      07-28-2016 12:22 PM #21
      I've owned two Si of that generation (06, and 10). If you prefer spirited driving and some noises, get the Si.
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      I'm filming this thread. Just thought I'd let everyone know. I've had some bad experiences with threads in the past.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I like when dumb people quote mechanical grip as a metric of whether or not a car is fun to drive. It's like saying McDonald's is the best restaurant because you get a lot of calories for your money.

Cars
      '06 xB, '97 Odyssey, '84 C10
      07-28-2016 01:52 PM #22
      Weird... I was asking myself this same question on the drive home yesterday, then this thread pops up... 3spooky5me.
      Quote Originally Posted by Gitcha Sum View Post
      Don't quit now. All it takes is one bolt a day and it's still becoming something.
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

Cars
      Honda Fanboy Collection
      07-28-2016 04:08 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by zeewhiz View Post
      Weird... I was asking myself this same question on the drive home yesterday, then this thread pops up... 3spooky5me.
      OP, the more I think about this, go hunting for the cleanest/most reasonably priced one of each you can find and then make your decision. i scored an 04 TSX with 58k, manual, and clean history for a grand total of 8400. I doubt you could get an SI for the same money that doesn't have dramatically more miles and/or a crash history. would i have bought an SI, sure, but now that i occasionally take clients in my car i wanted something that also had a bit more size, comforts, and luxury than a hopped up civic.

if you're looking for a reasonably priced FF sports car, the SI is a great choice.

25. Member
      Cars
      '15 TLX. 13 TSX-W, '01 S2000
      07-28-2016 04:36 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Uber Wagon View Post
      If you could find one that's five speed manual, it's rather fun to drive.
      It's a 6 speed, no LSD. I had an '04 from new for 7 years and 98k miles. Had to order the 6 speed and wait on it a couple of months.

The TSX is a lot more refined - it's really a European Accord, designed to take on the budget Audis, BMWs, etc over there.

They're both great cars - the Si is a pocket rocket, probably the best handling FWD car Honda (or Acura, and I include you, DC2R) has ever sold here and the TSX is more aspiring-to-entry-level luxury. It's a blast to drive, but the K24 will never rev like like a K20. Despite what the internet morons say, that engine has a pretty flat torque curve from 2500 rpms or so to about 5500 rpms - it'll wind out smoothly past that but there's not normally not much reason to do so. I actually preferred driving it to the '04 TL - the TSX wasn't as fast, but it was a lot more fun.

I'd never consider a Civic Si, even a new one, because I already have an S2000 that's just a better car for sporting purposes. The Si is just too far down the refinement scale for me to use as my daily driver. I don't have to deal with it. I have a TSX wagon now and it's fine.

But, if you really like the mix of practicality and fun to drive and love the Si, the TSX may come across as a little boring. If you're gonna lower it and tune the **** out of it to beat it to death, you might as well just get the Si to start with. You're starting from a better place. And you're going to look long and hard for clean 6 spd TSXs.

My $.02.

Cars
      Honda Fanboy Collection
      07-28-2016 04:40 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Karl O. View Post

But, if you really like the mix of practicality and fun to drive and love the Si, the TSX may come across as a little boring. If you're gonna lower it and tune the **** out of it to beat it to death, you might as well just get the Si to start with. You're starting from a better place. And you're going to look long and hard for clean 6 spd TSXs.
      accurate, also your garage looks a lot like mine (07 MDX, 04 TSX, 03 S2000).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast