Fourtitude.com - We bought a aircooled bus to travel the country in...
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
      Cars
      2002 VW TDI, 1972 VW camper van, 1993 Volvo 240 wagon, 1989 Ford Festiva
      05-31-2016 10:25 PM #1
      After a roadtrip from Toronto to LA last year, we fell in love with the idea of having a vehicle to do it in. We tented it most of the last one, but we are both starting to find the tent more hassle, and I don't tend to sleep well in them.

We tossed around the idea of a vintage trailer to tow with my Jetta, but eventually settled on a Baywindow bus. I've always wanted an aircooled VW bus, and since split windows are unobtainable in our budget, Baywindow it was.

Unfortunatly, to fund the purchase we had to sell our '57 Chevy. I put my heart and soul into getting this car running and on the road, but was never really attached to it. The plan from the beginning was to road trip in this, but after spending a couple thousand miles in it, we realized it would not be suitable for long distance driving at all. It went to a nice farmer with a small car collection who plans on keeping it original.

This all happened quickly, the Chevy was gone four days after we put it up for sale. Time to start looking for a bus! There was not much at all in Ontario within our budget, which was on the low side in the bus market. Our only options were the west coast or up from the U.S. Given the terrible exchange rate, we started searching in British Columbia, turning up this, a 1972 Kombi converted by a camper company called Dorper in BC.

After a bit of back and forth with the owner and passing a PPI, the deal was done, and bus was put in a train bound for Ontario. Today it arrived!

After 2.5 hours of driving with a rather severe oil leak, the bus and I made it home. The LS valvecover must have been shifted in transit somehow and was leaking a large amount of oil.

Some first day pictures

We plan on doing a thorough cleaning, taking care of some issues, then hitting the road with it. It's first big trip is supposed to be to Speedweek at Bonneville in August. I've never owned an aircooled VW, had never driven one before today actually, so I'm open to any and all advice! I'm going to use this thread to share the work we do and the adventures we end up on with our bus!
      Last edited by Zman86; 05-31-2016 at 10:32 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
      Fourtitude.com
      Advertisements
      Cars
      1998 Golf GTI, 1968 Beetle, 1999 Jeep Wrangler, 1974 Suzuki TS125, 2003 Passat GLX
      05-31-2016 10:41 PM #2
      is that a type 4 motor? ,i'm stupidly jealous btw. I've always wanted a bus since I got my bug
      Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumGLS View Post
      I’m not judgmental, so when I see a person push the wrong pedal, I never assume what gender she is.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Cars
      2002 VW TDI, 1972 VW camper van, 1993 Volvo 240 wagon, 1989 Ford Festiva
      05-31-2016 10:50 PM #3
      It is indeed a type 4, first year for them.

Cars
      10-speed bike
      05-31-2016 10:55 PM #4
      Looks like a great score. Someone already had put some work into the engine, are those dual HPMXs? Probably a Petronix or MSD ignition too. Just need a spare belt and some oil, set of wrenches to adjust the valves every now and again, otherwise, not too much else to do or to have go wrong. That Dorper top is rad too, usually westys flip only one way or the other. Have fun on your adventures!
      previously sirswank
      Join Date 03-17-2003
      Total Posts 7,046
      seagull posting on a forum near you!

Cars
      Some American, British, German, and a bunch of Japanese.
      05-31-2016 11:02 PM #5
      Super cool! Congrats!
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

7. Senior Member
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-31-2016 11:19 PM #6
      Hey, you did start a thread on it!

Quote Originally Posted by sirswank! View Post
      Looks like a great score. Someone already had put some work into the engine, are those dual HPMXs? Probably a Petronix or MSD ignition too. Just need a spare belt and some oil, set of wrenches to adjust the valves every now and again, otherwise, not too much else to do or to have go wrong. That Dorper top is rad too, usually westys flip only one way or the other. Have fun on your adventures!
      One of the good things about the Type IV is that since the fan is on the end of the crank you can run the engine with no belt.

Yeah, what carbs are those? I can't tell by looking. The linkage makes it look like Webers or HPMXs, but even Dellortos could use the same manifolds and linkage.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Cars
      15 Rav4
      05-31-2016 11:57 PM #7
      This was my dream - get an old VW camper, travel the US, sleep in Wal-Mart parking lots, sell the camper when I get back home.
      Salt Lake City was not discovered by Dracula and the shark people.

Cars
      10-speed bike
      06-01-2016 06:52 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      One of the good things about the Type IV is that since the fan is on the end of the crank you can run the engine with no belt.

derp. I was thinking of the corvair fan setup.

previously sirswank
      Join Date 03-17-2003
      Total Posts 7,046
      seagull posting on a forum near you!

10. Senior Member
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-01-2016 07:08 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by sirswank! View Post
      derp. I was thinking of the corvair fan setup.
      Well, there's a high performance modification that runs a belt like that...

11. 06-01-2016 07:15 AM #10
      Relevant to my interests.

Cars
      '67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '98 TDI
      06-01-2016 07:57 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Zman86 View Post
      This all happened quickly, the Chevy was gone four days after we put it up for sale. Time to start looking for a bus! There was not much at all in Ontario within our budget, which was on the low side in the bus market. Our only options were the west coast or up from the U.S. Given the terrible exchange rate, we started searching in British Columbia, turning up this, a 1972 Kombi converted by a camper company called Dorper in BC.

We plan on doing a thorough cleaning, taking care of some issues, then hitting the road with it. It's first big trip is supposed to be to Speedweek at Bonneville in August. I've never owned an aircooled VW, had never driven one before today actually, so I'm open to any and all advice! I'm going to use this thread to share the work we do and the adventures we end up on with our bus!
      Best advice I can give is do a LOT of reading in the bay window forum on thesamba. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 Most questions you could have can be answered by searching in that forum.

Also, not to be nit-picky, but just FYI, that bus started out as a panel rather than a kombi. From what I've been told, Westfalia was the only conversion company that started with a kombi. Everybody else started with a panel. I'm not a huge camper guy, though; so there could easily be one or two more that started with a kombi that I'm not aware of.
      -Andrew

1980 Rabbit Truck Resurrection

Quote Originally Posted by A&F View Post
      Modifying cars and car projects should always be viewed as throwing money away.

Cars
      Cult Cars.
      06-01-2016 08:09 AM #12
      Congrats on the bus! Subscribed so I can vicariously live through your adventures

Cars
      the big three and a deere
      06-01-2016 08:21 AM #13
      there looks to be some severe rust spots on it from the pictures you posted, how are the pans and the rest of the structure?
      14 Mustang GT | 87 Buick Grand National | 37 Plymouth Coupe | 13 Focus 5door | 13 F250 XLT 6.7

15. Senior Member
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-01-2016 08:31 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by al@absolute View Post
      there looks to be some severe rust spots on it from the pictures you posted, how are the pans and the rest of the structure?
      Your definition of 'severe' and mine are two different things. To me 'severe' means it either is starting to sag or you can no longer lock a small dog inside of it.

Usually these things will go in the rocker panels first, with the outboard front floor area, frame outriggers and underneath the front bumper close behind. Sometimes the biggest part of the rear floor will go as well, but none of that is particularly hard to fix properly.

Oh, and of course where the battery sits is vulnerable, too.

She looks pretty solid to me. Certainly nothing too difficult at this stage.

Cars
      '14 GMC Sierra, '88 Mitsubishi Jeep CJ3B
      06-01-2016 08:37 AM #15
      Are these reliable enough to drive long distances given their age?
      I now have an InstaGram: emmettlodge

Cars
      2003 Jetta 1.8t
      06-01-2016 08:41 AM #16
      For being on the lower side of the market, that bus looks clean! That should be a blast for traveling in, so I'm definitely subscribing for your updates.

Even though you won't be living out of it full time, check out r/VanDwellers and r/RoadTrip for inspritation on modifying the van for long trips.

Good luck

18. Senior Member
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-01-2016 08:50 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      Are these reliable enough to drive long distances given their age?
      If they're well sorted, yes.

The engines are quite robust. As long as the cables, brake system, wheel bearings and wiring are all in good shape it just comes down to a healthy engine/trans. I'd pack an extra distributor loaded with a Pertronix ignition system, throttle/clutch cables, a couple of carb kits, filters, oil, fuel pump, gasket set and a decent set of tools and head right out. I might also take an axel, wheel bearings, grease, trans oil and spare wire/connectors/wiring tool if I were going long distances between cities.

19. 06-01-2016 08:53 AM #18
      Your definition of 'severe' and mine are two different things. To me 'severe' means it either is starting to sag or you can no longer lock a small dog inside of it.

Usually these things will go in the rocker panels first, with the outboard front floor area, frame outriggers and underneath the front bumper close behind. Sometimes the biggest part of the rear floor will go as well, but none of that is particularly hard to fix properly.

I thought the same thing, had to scroll back up and look at the pics (still didn't see anything I consider severe).

Great purchase, I used to dream of owning a bus. Unfortunately I don't know that I'll ever own one, but I can live vicariously through you.

20. Senior Member
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-01-2016 09:37 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Harrison. View Post
      I thought the same thing, had to scroll back up and look at the pics (still didn't see anything I consider severe).

Great purchase, I used to dream of owning a bus. Unfortunately I don't know that I'll ever own one, but I can live vicariously through you.
      I've had several. Mine were all early models and I wish I had one of three of them back. I had a '58 single cab pickup, a really nice (but unrestored) '65 Kombi and a solid '60 Kombi. I sold them when they were worth nothing, but now? They've really gone through the roof. C'est la vie.

Late models ('68 and up) are much better for this job than early versions, as they handle better, are quieter and the flow-through ventilation is vastly superior. The Type IV engine will serve you well on hills, too. Oh, and the windows roll down, which is much better than the sliders for both cooling the interior and picking up that drive-through order.

21. Member
      Cars
      1966 Corvair | 2010 Mazda5 | 2002 Chevy 2500HD | 2017 Chevy SS
      06-01-2016 09:37 AM #20
      How do the Pertronix ignitions hold up on the VW motors? On the Corvairs, the heat and vibration from the air-cooled environment kills the Pertronix, usually at a very inopportune time. People that run them usually keep a set of points in the glovebox as a backup to get home.
      Quote Originally Posted by sosumi on the B6 S4 V8
      It sounds like a giant shotgun and then like a bunch of ground up Yugo's in a cement mixer followed by weeks of silence interspersed by wails from the owner.

06-01-2016 10:13 AM #21
      Sweet rig!

The way that this bus is designed makes it perfect for 2 lane highways and low speed cruising. This is all about the journey, not the destination!

Enjoy, and post lots of stories and pics.

Chris
      | 2017 Korean Appliance SE | 2008 Suburban LTZ | 2003 Dodge Ram | 2002 BMW 530i con mañuel | 1974 SuperBeetle x 2 | 1979 Camaro | 1975 Scout |
      The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

Cars
      Ls1 E36, 13 Focus
      06-01-2016 10:19 AM #22
      Stupid question: Does it have AC?

As for safety standpoint, how well would this do in an accident?
      How's the wind noise when travelling at highway speeds?

I like the idea of a camper van, but a modern one. But unfortunately can't think of one that I could afford.
      Past: 94 Jetta, 89 Accord (beater), 97 Jetta GT, 91 Mazda 626 (beater), 02 Audi A4, 07 Civic (commuter), 06 BMW 330i, 12 GTI

Cars
      the big three and a deere
      06-01-2016 10:24 AM #23

I was referring that if I can see that much rust in the pictures, I wonder how rust or not rusty the rest of it is, is all. I don't know a whole ton about these or where they can rust and be repaired without real treat to structure and such.
      14 Mustang GT | 87 Buick Grand National | 37 Plymouth Coupe | 13 Focus 5door | 13 F250 XLT 6.7

25. Member
      Cars
      2000 Cashmere Beige Metallic V6 Toyota Camry, 2017 Ice Silver Metallic Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium
      06-01-2016 10:26 AM #24
      That '57 Chevy though.

26. Senior Member
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-01-2016 10:33 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by ArmenB View Post
      How do the Pertronix ignitions hold up on the VW motors? On the Corvairs, the heat and vibration from the air-cooled environment kills the Pertronix, usually at a very inopportune time. People that run them usually keep a set of points in the glovebox as a backup to get home.
      In the Beetle the top of the engine doesn't get too hot and I've had zero failures with mine, but I'm much less familiar with the Type IV temp situation. I've had them in a couple of cars including a convertible with a duel Dellorto hot 1600 engine (convertibles run much hotter) with nary an issue. I always kept points, a condenser and feeler gauges in the ash tray, but never used it. The only reason I don't have one now is because of Barry's warning about 6-volt versions having a low voltage situation during cranking, killing the spark. 12 volt versions have no such issue.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast