Fourtitude.com - Tesla Model 3 prototype revealed - On-sale in late 2017 with a 215-mile minimum range and a base price of $35,000
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    1. 04-01-2016 03:34 AM #101
      I thought the car design looked kind of soul-less until you overlapped that Aston grill. Now I see the genius behind Tesla where theyve left an open template for owners to customize the car to their liking!

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselstation View Post
      I gave it an Aston Martin grill

Follow my kit designs on Facebook fan pages http://www.facebook.com/AutoArts

2. Remove Advertisements
      Fourtitude.com
      Advertisements
    3. 04-01-2016 03:47 AM #102
      This car heralds the death of the internal combustion engine, other manufacturers need to adapt now or they will die.

Cars
      1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT, 1994 Miata R-Package
      04-01-2016 03:47 AM #103

via Autoblog
      By tomorrow, there will be 850 stories just like this one on the Internet. I don't care. I got to ride in the Tesla Model 3 tonight, and that's worth sharing.

The opportunity presented itself at the unveiling of the $35,000 Model 3 at the SpaceX facility in Hawthorne, California. There were about 850 people invited, including our friends Gisli Gislason and Who Killed The Electric Car? director Chris Paine. Everyone there, it seemed, wanted to hop into the Model 3 for a ride, so everything was kept short and on some sort of schedule. Tesla wasn't letting anyone but the paid drivers behind the wheel, so we all made due with our three minutes as passengers in the world's current It car.

How hot is the Model 3 right now? Well, initial response to the design has been overwhelmingly positive and Tesla CEO Elon Musk announced from the stage at the end of his 25-minute presentation that there had already been 115,000 pre-orders. An hour later, after my test ride, there were over 133,000 and new ones were coming in at roughly one per second. That means that, as of this writing, Tesla made $133 million in $1,000 pre-orders in one day. As we said before the unveiling, interest in this car was high. I think we underestimated.

But back to our review of our 180 seconds in the car. This was not a base model, so the one quick burst of speed that I got to experience is not going to be the norm for buyers who fork over $35,000 for the base model. Details about which options will be available and how much they'll cost were all absent from the night's proceedings. As you can hear in the video above, the driver said we were in a dual-motor prototype, so we were treated to a bit higher performance than the 0-60 in less than six seconds that Musk quoted for the base model. The driver also said that the 3 will be available as AWD, but when it's not operating in AWD mode, the 3 is RWD.

Tesla's impressive vertical touchscreen from the Model S and X has been transformed into a horizontal screen that dominates the dashboard in the 3. I only saw the navigation map screen with some music details on the right side. It looked impressive and functional, just like the screens in Tesla's other models, but I didn't get to interact with it at all.

I want to experience the 3 in daylight, to see if the giant glass top is a good idea. When I drove the Model X recently, I was glad that it had an aftermarket tint on the giant glass canopy above the front seats, because sometimes you just want a bit of protection from the sun. To have basically the entire roof be made of glass, well, I'm not sure that's ideal. Maybe this is a way for Tesla to sell more branded hats. At night, though, and on cloudy days, glass this big just screams spaciousness, and it's amazing. Luckily, the 3's all-glass top is an option, and not one I'd choose.

Of course, since all of the cars on hand tonight were early prototypes, who knows what details will change by the time the Model 3 goes on sale at the end of 2017. But, well, this is what it was like to ride in a Model 3 tonight. Get ready for 850 more versions of this story tomorrow and, soon, at least 133,000 more. And then even more. Tesla wants to bring electric drive to the masses. Tonight was a big step in that direction.
      Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | PSN: dsgolson | XBL: Ryukein
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      Your photos don't qualify for the Ryukein seal of approval
      |||||||

Cars
      04-01-2016 03:55 AM #104
      Some nice photos from Autoblog

|||||||

Cars
      04-01-2016 04:20 AM #105
      I really love these wheels. I'd like to see them in silver, with the carbon bits in black or something.

|||||||

Cars
      2011 Fozzy/98 Legacy Wagon
      04-01-2016 05:12 AM #106
      I really, really dig it. Now, if I could only justify buying one. I only drive an average of ten days a month so I don't need to spend that much money on any car. I also rent so I'm not putting in wiring for charging and there is nowhere to charge at work. I really hope this thing sells like hotcakes.

Cars
      04-01-2016 05:14 AM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by kenny301 View Post
      I really hope this thing sells like hotcakes.
      It certainly pre-orders like them!
      |||||||

Cars
      German/American/Italian
      04-01-2016 05:14 AM #108
      Finally, a family car with proper sized windows. I really hope this will kick off a new trend.
      🍵 🚴 🍲 💤
      "I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us are. Very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad."

Cars
      2015 GTI Autobahn
      04-01-2016 06:16 AM #109
      Ehh looks are alright, but then again looks are not really the point with this car.

Cars
      14' StingRay, 71' Malibu, 03' Envoy, 05' Honda VTX, 97' C'Dale 900 Killer V, 90' C'Dale SR800
      04-01-2016 06:30 AM #110
      The front end ....
      They could still put in a grille, maybe have duct work for airflow to the front brakes.
      They have a year before it goes on sale, maybe a few tweaks are in order depending on consumer / focus group input.

Cars
      04-01-2016 06:40 AM #111
      Quote Originally Posted by CruznMalibu View Post
      They could still put in a grille, maybe have duct work for airflow to the front brakes.
      They have a year before it goes on sale, maybe a few tweaks are in order depending on consumer / focus group input.
      Nope.
      |||||||

04-01-2016 06:58 AM #112
      Should be interesting how GM stock will do this morning. I mean for the same price as the Bolt, you could get the Model 3, albeit with no options. But the Model 3 is still nicely equipped in base form.

First you have the panache of owning a Tesla, looks like it'll perform better than the Bolt and you'll have access to the vast Supercharger network.

Cars
      German/American/Italian
      04-01-2016 07:05 AM #113
      Make a wagon version of that car and you'll have my full attention.
      🍵 🚴 🍲 💤
      "I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us are. Very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad."

Cars
      04-01-2016 07:06 AM #114
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      Make a wagon version of that car and you'll have my full attention.
      Next up will be the Model Y crossover (with falcon-wing doors!), but we of course don't know if there will be any other Model 3 variants.
      |||||||

Cars
      15 RC350
      04-01-2016 07:12 AM #115
      Quote Originally Posted by mx5er View Post
      Should be interesting how GM stock will do this morning. I mean for the same price as the Bolt, you could get the Model 3, albeit with no options. But the Model 3 is still nicely equipped in base form.

First you have the panache of owning a Tesla, looks like it'll perform better than the Bolt and you'll have access to the vast Supercharger network.
      If you live somewhere with superchargers all over the place, it's a no brainer.

Do the supercharge centres work with other EVs at all?
      Quote Originally Posted by teklord69 View Post
      Scenario: Uphill on two lane hwy. You need to pass and overtake a slower vehicle. That 151 torque won't let you. You will hit an oncoming car the opposite side if you do.

04-01-2016 07:20 AM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by P-Body View Post

Do the supercharge centres work with other EVs at all?
      I live in the NY/NJ metro area. And I know people in both the Boston and Metro Maryland/D.C. area. I'm pretty sure there's Supercharger station between NY and those metro areas so if I bought a Tesla, going there should be no problem at all.

The plug on Teslas are proprietary. So only Teslas can use the Supercharger stations. And I'm also guessing there's software involved too. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Teslas have an adapter plug so they could use any public charging stations.

Cars
      328D / TDI / LWB
      04-01-2016 07:27 AM #117
      Quote Originally Posted by P-Body View Post
      That's exactly why I put my deposit down today. There's a supercharger 5 minutes from my work.
      PM Travy℠ |flickr | mikegilbertphotography.com | Everything you need to know | » | Scratch-It™ | Vimeo
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Great, a Chevy Lumina thread. Now I'm going to have an erection lasting more than four hours.
      #FREEPATRICKMAN

19. 04-01-2016 07:32 AM #118
      I think Model S early adopters have had it easy compared to what Model 3 early adopters are likely to experience as Tesla moves down-market into the mainstream. The glass roof looks crazy fragile and expensive to replace/repair.
      Current: 2016 Volvo XC90 - 2010 Volvo XC70 - 1991 Mazda Miata :: 2000 Aprilia RS50 - 1972 Honda CB350
      Past: 2013 Mercedes-Benz GLK350 - 2013 Volkswagen GTI - 2007 BMW 335i - 1988 BMW 635CSi - 1987 Volkswagen Jetta GLI - 1987 Suzuki Samurai - 1984 BMW 633CSi :: 1992 Kawasaki KDX200 - 1983 Yamaha YZ80

04-01-2016 07:34 AM #119
      I find Teslas completely unappealing, but props to them for bringing the heat.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Cars
      '12 Touareg TDI, '14 CC
      04-01-2016 07:43 AM #120
      the car of masses.... for middle level silicon valley tech workers but not bad for an appliance that is continuously updated.

Good timing "Saudi Arabia Announces $2 Trillion Megafund for Post-Oil Era"
      FireVortex (sorry, no more)... bunch of VWs.
      I came back for #Dieselgate

Cars
      XW30, NA, V227, Bluestar (preordered)
      04-01-2016 07:45 AM #121
      Oh alright I'll preorder tomorrow. The Prius will be 7 years old by the time my order would start being built.

Now I just need a Tesla van to replace my FTC
      "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."
      - Doctor Who (Fourth Doctor) "Face of Evil"

23. Senior Member
      Cars
      1957 Testa Rossa
      04-01-2016 07:54 AM #122
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      Finally, a family car with proper sized windows. I really hope this will kick off a new trend.
      I was waiting for you to bring this up.

Speaking of the greenhouse... I'm betting there is some or a lot of structural components in there. It looks very large on that car... as if it was a direct pull from the S. That's a good thing for MFG (i.e. Saving cost).

Cars
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      04-01-2016 07:54 AM #123
      Quote Originally Posted by DEZL_DUB View Post
      With a glass roof like that won't it get hot in there? No sun protection it seems.
      Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      The glass roof looks crazy fragile and expensive to replace/repair.
      Model X owners are already tinting much of that big glass. I'm not a fan of it for that reason and I can't even imagine the glass rates my insurance company would slap on it. Plus, it's not like the local glass shop will be able to get you a new one in 24hrs.

Quote Originally Posted by mx5er View Post
      The plug on Teslas are proprietary. So only Teslas can use the Supercharger stations.
      Judging by the light blue Chevy Spark I see parked at the only local Supercharger every time I drive by, my guess is that it's not totally proprietary.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      Speedo is at the top-left of the screen. Tesla people say it works perfectly for your peripheral version, and because of features like Autopilot and the giant central screen, there's no need for anything else.

So how will everyone who constantly rips the Prii's center only gauges explain how this is ok? Personally, I love the center gauges on my Prius, they really do site right in your eyeline as you look down the road. But I don't like the giant, central tablet of the Teslas.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall, I'm really impressed. The proof will be in if they actually manage to produce as many as they need to fill demand at this low price with a level of quality that's necessary.

25. 04-01-2016 08:00 AM #124
      Quote Originally Posted by OOOO-A3 View Post
      Reserved. If I didn't reserve it now, I'd regret it in a couple of years.

Absolutely love the design, the glass, the hatch, the interior/clean dash/touchscreen. It's pretty much perfect as-is.
      Assuming supercharging is standard, the only option I'd want is autopilot.
      I believe it says autopilot is standard.

26. 04-01-2016 08:01 AM #125
      Overall, seems like a well rounded car, but nothing about it blows me away. Probably won't be impressed until performance models are revealed.

Also, Skynet.

Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast