VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Don't use the paint pens from the VW dealership

10K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  aargir 
#1 ·
I have a few fine scratches around the driver's door. Got the color coded pen and the clearcoat pen. It is black so should of just matched easily but doesn't appear too. Plus it didn't go on smoothly and the clearcoat looks equally like crud. So just sharing my results are it looks worst than before. YMMV.

#2 ·
I purchased a paint pen and also had problems. The pen has a fine point for "easy to apply" paint to the scratches. That's not true at all. Too much paint flow, or none at all. It's difficult to get a smooth coat with the brush as well. I haven't applied any of the clear yet, not sure if I want to. I do like the mini sanding end of it. Makes smoothing the tiny edges of the scratch or chip a little easier.

#3 ·
Touch up paint pens aren't made for larger imperfections in paint. Primarily only small chips and tiny scratches. It's nearly impossible to get a smooth layer of paint with a brush, which is why spray guns are used and not brushes. The clear coat in those pens are quick drying, meaning the quality is no where near as durable, shiny, etc. The clear coat in the pens require (maybe) 5 minutes to dry without a bake cycle. Production clear (used for large repairs) requires 30-40 minutes cure time WITH a bake cycle. Can't expect high quality from cheap touch up pens.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Don't use the sand paper on the end of the stick, use wet sandpaper to smooth out the pen paint, add the clear coat, let dry then sand again, then buff out the whole entire area to blend properly. There's stages to filling scratches and just Applying the paint pen and hoping for great results is not the right way

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.