VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Shaved Bay: Weld, grind, weld, grind, metal filler? body filler?

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Eurospeeds 
#1 ·
I'm balls deep into my shaved bay project now on my mk4. I am going for the fully smoothed look, leaving no factory body lines, seams, holes or brackets.

Most seams are welded and ground down to as best I can get, however, it obviously is not entirely smooth and seamless.

My research has led to tell me that using an excessive amount of body filler to get the curves and smoothness I want can lead to cracking from temp, body flex, etc. which would be an absolute disaster for the show car engine bay I'm creating.

So, what I know that is most important is, do as much metal work as I can before laying down body filler. But Before the body filler, I feel as if there is another way to get down another layer of some sort of high strength putty or metal filler to get those rough and thick pits before doing final smoothing and curvature with the top layer of autobody filler and glazing putty.

Does anybody have any recommendations to make sure the shaved and finished bay will hold up to changing temperatures and bumps in the road?

It is absolutely crucial that the finished bay will stand tough.

:beer:

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.