VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Known Issues

72K views 101 replies 32 participants last post by  chef.t.payne 
#1 ·
I know it's a fairly new engine still. Has anyone had any issues yet, how many miles do you currently have?

So far i'm only sitting at 3,500 on my 1.4. Love the car so far, my first VW.

#7 ·
Yes. I checked the 1.8T for comparison, and when they botn run a flat 250 Nm from 1500rpm up to 3500 rpm, it made sense to go budget for us on a reasonable daily. And it works ok with approx 0.65~0.7 L per 10km on OEM 18".

#17 ·
Bought mine June 2016. Have 7800 miles on it now. So far it's been back to the dealership twice for brake booster pressure sensor issue. Fist time they replaced the vacuum tube and sensor at 3800 miles and last week at they had to reflash the ECU. Other than that I haven't had any other issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 · (Edited)
Had an issue where I lost a quart of oil by 4600 miles. At 2500 is was down 1/4 of a quart, 3500 was 1/2 a quart. Took it to the dealership. They drained all the oil, weighed the new oil they put in, and then took that oil back out and reweighed it after 1000mi (supposed to be a minimum of 650). Lost 2 grams of oil. They think it was either a ring not seated properly, that had seated, or an evap valve that was sticky. Right now its at 8500 and hasn't lost any more oil. It gets checked every Saturday now, which is about every 800 miles.

Edit: 2017 Jetta SE 1.4T w/ 5spd manual, picked it up in Dec.

#22 ·
Noise issues

I hear a very slight "jingle" when I rev the engine. My wife describes it as "chains" shaking. Hoping this isn't the water pump noise. There is also the clicking of the injectors (I'm guessing). This engine is NOT like my old 1.8 Civic. I also notice lots of "odd" noises when I put the A/C on.

Regarding oil. I did an oil change myself at 3500 miles (I used the Castrol OE 5-40 and filter from dealer for 60 Bucks, I'll probably start ordering Liquimoly Kit from ECS from now on). I haven't noticed ANY oil burning whatsoever. What I HAVE noticed, is that the car seems to have broken in over the past few thousand miles (I now have 5000). The turbo seems to spool quicker, and the engine seems to be a little smoother and ready to go. So I would think it's possible that a un-seated ring could cause an issue. I did typical "break-in" by driving semi-normal, and pushing it harder up some hills to get it nice and hot. I avoided lots of engine breaking.

All-in-all, I expected some issues with this car - Considering VW's history. HOWEVER, for about 10 Grand less, I got a car that handles and drives better than an accord - and has pretty much the same features. The extra cost of maintenance will probably make it a wash.

#28 ·
I hear a very slight "jingle" when I rev the engine. My wife describes it as "chains" shaking. Hoping this isn't the water pump noise. There is also the clicking of the injectors (I'm guessing). This engine is NOT like my old 1.8 Civic. I also notice lots of "odd" noises when I put the A/C on.

Regarding oil. I did an oil change myself at 3500 miles (I used the Castrol OE 5-40 and filter from dealer for 60 Bucks, I'll probably start ordering Liquimoly Kit from ECS from now on). I haven't noticed ANY oil burning whatsoever. What I HAVE noticed, is that the car seems to have broken in over the past few thousand miles (I now have 5000). The turbo seems to spool quicker, and the engine seems to be a little smoother and ready to go. So I would think it's possible that a un-seated ring could cause an issue. I did typical "break-in" by driving semi-normal, and pushing it harder up some hills to get it nice and hot. I avoided lots of engine breaking.

All-in-all, I expected some issues with this car - Considering VW's history. HOWEVER, for about 10 Grand less, I got a car that handles and drives better than an accord - and has pretty much the same features. The extra cost of maintenance will probably make it a wash.
Lol I notice alot of odd A/C noises too. I think its just how it is. The airy sounds that come from it

#30 ·
So I’m currently waiting for a tow to the dealership. My car won’t shift out of third gear. When I go from reverse or neutral to drive it goes bang straight to third gear. Check engine light just came on and vw can’t get the car in for repair for a week. The car has been perfect until now but I’m kinda surprised this has happened with only 25000km on the clock.... last night was the first cold Winnipeg night with -25 but everyone else’s cars seem to be working. Any idea what it could be?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.