Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
      Cars
      2012 Golf TDI, 2015 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
      11-16-2015 06:51 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      "USE PERMANENT TYPE ANTI-FREEZE ONLY"

Is there a temporary anti-freeze one could use like Racoon piss or maybe a 5th of Bourbon?

2. Remove Advertisements
      Fourtitude.com
      Advertisements
      11-16-2015 07:08 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Uberhare View Post
      "USE PERMANENT TYPE ANTI-FREEZE ONLY"

Is there a temporary anti-freeze one could use like Racoon piss or maybe a 5th of Bourbon?
      Prior to glycol antifreeze alcohol/water was a common mix. Since early cooling systems were not closed the alcohol evaporated, hence the warning.

So, now you know.

Cars
      2012 Golf TDI, 2015 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
      11-16-2015 07:09 PM #53
      Prior to glycol antifreeze alcohol/water was a common mix. Since early cooling systems were not closed the alcohol evaporated, hence the warning.

So, now you know.
      So, the Bourbon would make for a expensive anti-freeze. Got it.

5. Senior Member
      Cars
      KAR 120C
      11-16-2015 07:13 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by Uberhare View Post
      So, the Bourbon would make for a expensive anti-freeze. Got it.
      It's how I use it this time of year.

...but not for my car

11-20-2015 08:21 AM #55
      Under the dirt this car's pretty pristine. Dave shot a test panel and part of the firewall with the paint supplied by Jim, but it doesn't match at all. Next up is chemically stripping the firewall. I've learned over the years that paint stripper works better the warmer the metal is, so it's time to turn up the heat.

I sent the cast iron manifolds out to Jet Hot. Don't need them just yet, but they look pretty nice.

I learned something new yesterday. I took the heater cores to the radiator shop to have them boiled out. I'm told that the ci=ores had been replaced at one point with OEM cores, but that someone had painted them. I didn't see any harm, but Mel said they should never be painted as the heat of the d=core will make the paint out-gas, forever, pushing paint fumes into the interior.

11-20-2015 10:46 AM #56
      This is how all of the "Spring cleanup" threads on Pro-Touring start.

"Yeah, I wanted to roll the car out and clean up the engine bay, but when I went to remove the timing cover and valve cover to clean them up, I found a chipped tooth on the drive gear and a bent pushrod, so I pulled the 326 out of my Lemans and swapped in an LSA with a Tremec 6060. Then I found both lower ball joints were bad and so I just went ahead and pulled the subframe and swapped in a DSE complete unit. Once I realized the amount of rubber I could now tuck under the front end, I needed to mini-tub and narrow the frame on the rear. The mini-tub caused me to remove my back seat, and so I just went ahead and swapped an entire 06 GTO interior in it."

Its just funny how these things snowball. I think the owner will be very pleased with how the car now rides and the regular, reliable use he'll be able to get out of it.

Chris
      | 2017 Korean Appliance SE | 2008 Suburban LTZ | 2003 Dodge Ram | 2002 BMW 530i con mañuel | 1974 SuperBeetle x 2 | 1979 Camaro | 1975 Scout |
      The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

11-20-2015 11:13 AM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by 200HP4dr View Post
      This is how all of the "Spring cleanup" threads on Pro-Touring start.

"Yeah, I wanted to roll the car out and clean up the engine bay, but when I went to remove the timing cover and valve cover to clean them up, I found a chipped tooth on the drive gear and a bent pushrod, so I pulled the 326 out of my Lemans and swapped in an LSA with a Tremec 6060. Then I found both lower ball joints were bad and so I just went ahead and pulled the subframe and swapped in a DSE complete unit. Once I realized the amount of rubber I could now tuck under the front end, I needed to mini-tub and narrow the frame on the rear. The mini-tub caused me to remove my back seat, and so I just went ahead and swapped an entire 06 GTO interior in it."

Its just funny how these things snowball. I think the owner will be very pleased with how the car now rides and the regular, reliable use he'll be able to get out of it.

Chris
      This is as far as we will go. Other than door and panel alignment and some touch-up we're stopping at the firewall. Unless the owner has a major change of heart the body is staying on the frame, unlike the Ruxton. If he ever does want to completely restore it a pile of work will already be done. The car is an excellent candidate for full restoration, but that carries a heavy cost.

I just hope he drives the hell out of it when it's done, as that's the goal.

I think I'm going to jump in and do some sand-blasting to speed this project along. I only need my bum leg to stand on, so that's not so bad.

Cars
      '16 STi, '17 Outback, '91 740
      11-20-2015 11:46 AM #58
      I pay more attention to Barry's thread than I ever did in school, you oughta start a youtube channel.

11-20-2015 12:02 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by TheMadChigga View Post
      I pay more attention to Barry's thread than I ever did in school, you oughta start a youtube channel.
      You made my day. I've been teaching my whole career, customers and employees. In retirement I get to teach others. Doesn't get much better than that.

11. 11-20-2015 06:46 PM #60

barry, i noticed on the other car with the perfect engine compartment, the manifolds were gray/silver and these are black. I'm assuming from the factory they were just raw cast iron, and color doesn't matter all that much?

11-20-2015 08:43 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by Jettavr666 View Post
      barry, i noticed on the other car with the perfect engine compartment, the manifolds were gray/silver and these are black. I'm assuming from the factory they were just raw cast iron, and color doesn't matter all that much?
      No, it matters, a lot if you show your car in Lincoln and Continental Owners Club events it means everything. Theres an Authenticity Manual that shoes the color or plating of every single nut and bolt on the car. You caught one of the things that could come two ways, both heat resistant paints in silver and black. Mine were originally silver but started developing rust that started getting worse.

I had the green car's manifolds done before I did mine. His came back silver with a tint of green. I guess that really don't have control over color shift on some silvers. They looked great installed. I sent mine out. I ordered the same silver and they came back Baby Blue. I sent them back and they recoated them in black. Not my favorite choice, but small flaws will stay hidden much longer.

My manifolds looked fine, except for this visible flaw. I know.

11-21-2015 04:08 PM #62
      Other than being the extra hand every once in a while I haven't done anything on this project, but that's about to change. I find sandblasting to be nearly the most satisfying automotive task. It's a delightful mixture of instant gratification, OCD, and anal-retentiveness all balled up in one task.

A number of years ago one of my first build threads was this monster sand blast booth. I used standard lumber and have found this to be, by far, the most useful tool of all my equipment. It's 8 feet wide, 3 feet deep and 4 feet tall. The biggest expense was the sheet metal work for the chutes and doors. If I were to do it again I would make everything out of wood except lining the rear wall. My glove rings are 10" ductwork starter sleeves and long arm rubber gloves finish the access. Most people that use it notice right away I built it t fit me as most have to stand on something to see in and feel awkward with the hand-holes so far apart.

This is just a sampling of what's going to the powder-coater. The whole front suspension has to come apart and be degreased.

The firewall had been painted with a brush, thickly. There were runs and bare spots everywhere. A chemical stripper was used to soften the layers of paint and it was then easily scraped away. The primer is formidable.

Remarkably, there's no rust anywhere on the frame of firewall. Well, no pitting at all as most was still covered with the original paint.

This is an area often missed in a re-spray. This section of the frame and exhaust are clearly visible at the rear of the fenderwell. Dave and I stood back and realize it would be wide-open to clean and finish that area if the exhaust pipe were not in the way. Whoever installed the exhaust welded it so we couldn't just take out that pipe. The whole assembly had to come out.

4 bolts later each side dropped out the bottom. Now we'll be able to restore as far in as you can see.

For anyone that wants to build a home-made monster sand blast booth:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...nd+blast+booth
      Last edited by barry2952; 11-21-2015 at 05:43 PM.

14. Senior Member
      Cars
      KAR 120C
      11-21-2015 05:32 PM #63
      You made my day. I've been teaching my whole career, customers and employees. In retirement I get to teach others. Doesn't get much better than that.
      And thank you for your willingness to make the time, take the pictures, and do the write-ups on each stage of the work.

I only wish I was less than half a country away, as I'd love to see the progress in person.

11-21-2015 06:24 PM #64
      I keep telling myself I should go check out one of these projects in person. The only thing stopping me is the semi awkwardness of showing up and being "Hey, I'm one of those guys from the internet".

Seriously well written up progression. All of them. Real craftsmanship at work.

Cars
      Some American, British, German, and a bunch of Japanese.
      11-21-2015 06:28 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      And thank you for your willingness to make the time, take the pictures, and do the write-ups on each stage of the work.

I only wish I was less than half a country away, as I'd love to see the progress in person.
      I totally agree.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

11-22-2015 10:02 AM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by thegoodson View Post
      I keep telling myself I should go check out one of these projects in person. The only thing stopping me is the semi awkwardness of showing up and being "Hey, I'm one of those guys from the internet".
      You wouldn't be the first, nor the last. I like visitors.

What's a lot of fun for me is being at a Concours and having so many people introduce themselves as internet personalities.

It is kind of funny as I've met several people now that are loud and blustery on the inter webs, but soft-spoken in person.

11-22-2015 11:31 AM #67
      Keyboard warriors. I don't believe I've painted that picture of myself, however.

Maybe make it out one afternoon for a field trip with my son.

11-22-2015 11:35 AM #68
      Keyboard warriors. I don't believe I've painted that picture of myself, however.

Maybe make it out one afternoon for a field trip with my son.
      My father never did anything like that with us. Cars were elegant appliances to him, just an outward sign of success.

Good on you for wanting to do something with your kid.

Cars
      2011 Fiesta SES HB, 2008 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 1996 GTI hoopty
      11-22-2015 12:22 PM #69
      I'm local, too, and jealous that Katherine has been out for the Steyr. You should host a Vortex potluck sometime so we won't feel guilty about bugging you about coming out and hanging out, LOL! D

I still look forward to seeing one of your cars out "in the wild" at a show or concourse some time and shaking your hand. What I've learned through your threads has been both immensely informative and entertaining at the same time.
      Quote Originally Posted by jamie@vwvortex
      I'm not grouping everyone together - I would have said everyone in this forum is a moron.

11-22-2015 12:27 PM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
      You should host a Vortex potluck sometime so we won't feel guilty about bugging you about coming out and hanging out, LOL! D
      I really like that idea. I'll plan a Vortex gathering for Spring. I'm sure the Mark II we're working on will be done by then. Who know what'll be in the shop by then?

11-22-2015 04:21 PM #71
      There are, apparently, 8 billion shades of Turqoise. I stopped by a local hobby shop and found a color that looked pretty good next to the sample I brought, but it's not perfect, but it's real close. If it's not close enough for Jim we'll need to get it scanned and some paint mixed. While the upper side of the inner fenders is sprayed the lower portion was slapped with a thick layer of brushed on paint.

I'm finding the same thing on this car as I've found on other '40s and '50s cars is that the seam sealers did more harm than good. The only place I've found any trace of rust is under the seam sealer. It seems to lose its bond, but stay in place with the gap underneath it wicking water everywhere by capillary action. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?
      I think it looks pretty good. The firewall will be stripped to bare metal, primed and painted. No brushwork required.

The pile for the powder-coater grows ever larger. The powder-coater just built a new oven this whole frame could go in. The Ruxton frame barely fit in their old booth. Powder-coating is the only way to restore a road-going car. It seems impervious to just about anything except extreme heat. The only downside is holes have to be cleaned out for clearance as the powder coats evenly 4 mils thick, about 4 times as thick as paint. I chase all threaded studs and holes anyway, so that's no more work in that. The mating surfaces have to be sanded to bare metal or nothing will fit, but everything is encapsulated in baked on plastic.

It has a major advantaged in that it can be applied evenly inside tubes and frame members. You just can't get paint everywhere. The best part of doing all the parts at once is that something will stop one operation, but there'll be a big pile of other parts that can be installed just waiting. The hardest part of a project like this is losing momentum. That's what happened to the limo, and I never went back. This winter it will get it's suspension back.

This is a whole mound of satisfaction.

Last edited by barry2952; 11-22-2015 at 04:40 PM.

11-23-2015 10:02 PM #72
      Jim is going to pay us a visit next week to talk about color. In the meantime the rest of the paint needed to be stripped off the firewall so another coat was applied and worked with heavy-gauge steel wool.

After a better cleaning the original surface is revealed. There is an area of surface rust on the driver's side below the vacuum-assist Treadle-Vac brake booster. The master cylinder would leak into the vacuum booster and out the rear of the unit peeling the paint away from the steel allowing water to get trapped. The damage is minimal so some wire-brushing and self-etching primer will provide a good base. We'll need a sealer and then final paint.

In the mean time the drive will be to clean the rest of the frame up front, prep the firewall and shoot everything with primer.

The pile of cleaned parts has overwhelmed the cart. They will be neatly stacked on a wood pallet so I can load everything with my hi-lo.

Before Dave paints I'm going to restore the motor mount holes to their original configuration. We discovered that the motor mounds didn't exactly fit the replacement motor causing the mounts to tilt their studs outward far enough that they cut larger holes to be able to put it back in. We've already figured out a way to straighten the pins so I'm going to repair the damage. The way it is the engine could move too much. Alignment of the engine is critical as any movement up front translates into a lot of movement at the tail shaft, because it's so long.

I think this is the best way to get the job done. Imagine trying to do this with two fenders in the way. Assembling a car from done parts does't take long at all. The Zephyr was a perfect example of that. I think I had it moving in less than 6 months, but I mostly worked on it myself.

24. Member
      Cars
      2005 Acura TSX
      11-23-2015 10:41 PM #73

Seriously well written up progression. All of them. Real craftsmanship at work.
      I completely agree with the first sentence.

And I completely, totally agree with the second sentence. Keep up the good work - and the vicarious experience for us too.

11-24-2015 08:15 AM #74
      When I left Dave was still cleaning the stripper residue off the firewall. It was primed along with the frame. The frame was rattle-canned with high gloss Rustoleum.

Now the uphill portion begins. The steering box can now be cleaned up and reinstalled. It doesn't leak so we'll leave it alone.

11-26-2015 09:24 AM #75
      Came in this morning and found I had forgotten to turn off the work lights. Perfect opportunity for a glamor shot.

Everything that was grime-covered a week ago now has fresh-paint, a perfect replication including a couple of saggy paint runs, just like the factory.

The spot where the exhaust runs through is now pristine. We'll have to do something with the rusty exhaust pipe, now.

Using a socket the size of the hole in the motor mount I scribed the outline of the filler plate.

Using a wheel of death I cut and shaped the slug.

A little fine tuning of the shape on the belt dander and it dropped right in. My welding skills need to be a little better than they are so I have my welder-friend coming over on Friday to do the welding. It's worth the $50 to not have to do all the grinding I'd have to do to make it look right.

This is the way it's supposed to work.

Picked up the radiator and heater cores. Don't need the radiator just yet, but we'll need the heater cores as soon as the firewall is painted.

I reiterate that heater cores are not supposed to be painted as as they get hot the paint will outgas fumes into the interior.

Found out why the suspension was so bad. Someone had previously installed the wrong lower control arm bushings. The raised bumps are stoppers that were not used on the proper bushing. This caused the lower-a-arm to contort badly, throwing off the geometry and binding up the suspension.

This is what a proper bushing looks like in an end view. the teeth on the center core are meant to bite into the frame, preventing the inner core from moving. The rubber is vulcanized to the outer core so the only movement is supposed to be in the rubber.

Two of the four were ripped causing the inner core to rotate, wearing out the remaining rubber. Not quite sure what cause the wear-mark next to it.

Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast