Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 39454647484950 LastLast
    Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 1230
      Cars
      KLE650, XJR1300
      05-15-2017 12:06 AM #1201
      On the topic of gas tanks, I had a couple motorcycle gas tanks break and found a little trick to "de-gas" them: hair drier.

I used cardboard to make a "funnel" to connect the hair drier into the hole of the sender unit, then I let the hair drier heat the tank for at least 30 minutes. The gas tanks got very hot, even the paint felt a bit soft, but all gas fumes were gone. The hair drier not only heats it up, it also blows air that evacuates the fumes from the tank; the end result is a fumeless tank with no rust. I guess a car tank will require a lot more time, and maybe even wrapping the tank with some blankets to keep the heat in.

2. Remove Advertisements
      Fourtitude.com
      Advertisements
      Cars
      78 Rabbit 4dr VR6, 84 Jetta Coupe 1.8t, 91 Passat Wagon 1.8t
      05-15-2017 04:23 PM #1202
      ^
      Which begs the question of would a leaf blower with some hose work well on a gas tank

05-16-2017 10:26 PM #1203
      Well, we did what we thought would work best. We filled the tank up with water. Since the tank was already lined we simply displaced sufficient fumes that I was able to braze the bracket back to the tank. We blew a bunch of air through whatever pockets of fumes remained and felt confident there would be no danger.

We flash-tested what remained in the tank and I started brazing. The steel of the flange is 3 times as thick as the steel of the tank so it was imperative that I keep the heat on the thicker metal to avoid burning through the tank. It wasn't the prettiest brazing, but Dave made it presentable. The factory soldering must have used a specialized torch that could heat the whole ring at once.

It's not coming loose again.

5. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-16-2017 10:30 PM #1204
      It looks like the problem is solved as it'll be beautiful - when installed.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

05-19-2017 01:35 PM #1205
      Here's a video of it out for a test drive. The repetitive noise is the stickers on the new tires.

http://vid244.photobucket.com/albums...psujqmznwk.mp4

The sending unit is installed and gas back in it.

This is why you should always drill holes in your mufflers at the lowest point. There must have been a cup of water in this one.

http://vid244.photobucket.com/albums...pszvafj5j1.mp4

The last item is the trunk. I have new carpet and a new trunk seal, requested by Jim.

I tried to remove some of the old adhesive. It was a PITA to work on.

Four bolts later and it was easy to work on. Always mark the location of the hinge and the bolts for easy re-installation.

Found the leaks. No adhesive where the hinges were. Removing the trunk lid would have avoided this.

Carpeting the trunk will be much easier, now.

One of the cars that sleeps here needs to go out Sunday, so it spent a couple of hours on the rack. The slab-sides are beautiful cars and surely are an extension of the style of the Mark II.

Last edited by barry2952; 05-19-2017 at 01:39 PM.

7. Member
      Cars
      2005 Acura TSX
      05-19-2017 02:27 PM #1206
      ^ That black Continental is gorgeous. I could spend all day running my finger along that car-length shoulder line.

Cars
      2002 VW TDI, 1972 VW camper van, 1993 Volvo 240 wagon, 1989 Ford Festiva
      05-19-2017 02:29 PM #1207
      Great stuff as always! Love that slab side...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cars
      '81 Sportruck, '82 Jetta Diesel
      05-19-2017 02:36 PM #1208
      Are the holes on the inside of the trunk lid hand stamped? They don't seem symmetrical.
      DCIVW
      CE.

05-19-2017 02:41 PM #1209
      Quote Originally Posted by dubdaze68 View Post
      Are the holes on the inside of the trunk lid hand stamped? They don't seem symmetrical.
      Must be the angle. They are the same on both sides.

05-19-2017 02:42 PM #1210
      Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
      ^ That black Continental is gorgeous. I could spend all day running my finger along that car-length shoulder line.
      Extraordinary detail.

Cars
      '16 3.0L A6,'16 A4, 02 Trailblazer
      05-19-2017 03:35 PM #1211
      I think I remember seeing something in a thread in the past, and Im sorry to hijack this thread a little bit, but what happened to the Limo you were working on? If I remember correctly you felt there was too much to do on it?
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.

05-19-2017 05:25 PM #1212
      Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post
      I think I remember seeing something in a thread in the past, and Im sorry to hijack this thread a little bit, but what happened to the Limo you were working on? If I remember correctly you felt there was too much to do on it?
      Life got in the way. Common sense prevailed. Priorities changed. Found better things to do.

9 years ago my wife wanted the limo and I wanted to build it for her. 7 years ago she nearly died from late stage ovarian cancer. I stopped most of my life to become her primary caregiver for well over a year. While she was sick I bought the '41 Ford pick-up for her and I bought the '33 Continental for me and both required extensive mechanical renovations. That all put a damper on the limo project. I looked at continuing the limo again when I sent my Lincoln Zephyr off for an interior. The cost of doing just the interior on this car would have far exceeded its worth so that's where the common sense prevailed. My priorities changed as I came to realize that I have only so much time left to do these things before my physical limitations prevent me from actually working on the cars. Recent events and the crash of the Lincoln Zephyr nearly two years ago may shorten that time even more, so if I'm going to do another project it will be something pretty spectacular. We're good enough to produce another Pebble-level road-worthy car so I envision anything I touch from now on will be very rare and already restored, but needing a full mechanical refreshing. If I do another car there will be no paint or upholstery work. That's been the most time-consuming and frustrating part of this journey.

After the Ruxton, Lincoln-Zephyr, Steyr and Mark II I'm going to need something with pizzaz to get the juices flowing.
      Last edited by barry2952; 05-19-2017 at 05:28 PM.

Cars
      '16 3.0L A6,'16 A4, 02 Trailblazer
      05-19-2017 05:35 PM #1213
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      Life got in the way. Common sense prevailed. Priorities changed. Found better things to do.

9 years ago my wife wanted the limo and I wanted to build it for her. 7 years ago she nearly died from late stage ovarian cancer. I stopped most of my life to become her primary caregiver for well over a year. While she was sick I bought the '41 Ford pick-up for her and I bought the '33 Continental for me and both required extensive mechanical renovations. That all put a damper on the limo project. I looked at continuing the limo again when I sent my Lincoln Zephyr off for an interior. The cost of doing just the interior on this car would have far exceeded its worth so that's where the common sense prevailed. My priorities changed as I came to realize that I have only so much time left to do these things before my physical limitations prevent me from actually working on the cars. Recent events and the crash of the Lincoln Zephyr nearly two years ago may shorten that time even more, so if I'm going to do another project it will be something pretty spectacular. We're good enough to produce another Pebble-level road-worthy car so I envision anything I touch from now on will be very rare and already restored, but needing a full mechanical refreshing. If I do another car there will be no paint or upholstery work. That's been the most time-consuming and frustrating part of this journey.

After the Ruxton, Lincoln-Zephyr, Steyr and Mark II I'm going to need something with pizzaz to get the juices flowing.
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.

15. Junior Member
      Cars
      1956 Cadillac Sedan de Ville (sold), 1956 Cadillac Eldo Biarritz, 1957 Cadillac Eldo Brougham
      05-19-2017 05:46 PM #1214
      Quote Originally Posted by dubdaze68 View Post
      I may have another explanation than the one offered by Barry: the letters on the tunk are, by nature, not symetrical. Therefore, the pins on which the clips are installed differs in length, relative to one each other. Most probably, the holes are taking account of that characteristic.

05-19-2017 05:51 PM #1215
      Quote Originally Posted by Roger Z View Post
      I may have another explanation than the one offered by Barry: the letters on the tunk are, by nature, not symetrical. Therefore, the pins on which the clips are installed differs in length, relative to one each other. Most probably, the holes are taking account of that characteristic.
      I misunderstood completely. I thought he was talking about the larger perforations in the inner deck lid. Please post a shot of the inside of your trunk lid. I think people will be astounded.

17. Feels Like the First Time DeeJoker's Avatar
      Cars
      2013 C300 4M, 2004 TRD Tacoma
      05-19-2017 07:20 PM #1216
      Is it improper to say I'm drooling thinking about what automotive unicorn you'll do next?

Perhaps a Cord or Duesenberg?
      The above post may contain opinions, coarse language, offensive terms, spelling mistakes, and/or improper grammar. You have been warned.

18. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-19-2017 07:30 PM #1217
      Quote Originally Posted by DeeJoker View Post
      Is it improper to say I'm drooling thinking about what automotive unicorn you'll do next?

Okay, Barry is quite successful, but Duesenberg successful?

05-19-2017 07:43 PM #1218
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Okay, Barry is quite successful, but Duesenberg successful?
      I don't know that I'd do another for myself. I have my hands full maintaining what I have. I have toyed with selling everything and buying a top Classic.
      Last edited by barry2952; 05-19-2017 at 07:47 PM.

20. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-19-2017 07:58 PM #1219
      I don't know that I'd do another for myself. I have my hands full maintaining what I have. I have toyed with selling everything and buying a top Classic.
      Wow! That'd be quite the shakeup! Anything in particular?

05-19-2017 08:00 PM #1220
      Wow! That'd be quite the shakeup! Anything in particular?
      Actually, a Duesenberg.

05-19-2017 08:05 PM #1221
      Quote Originally Posted by DeeJoker View Post

One of the foremost Duesenberg experts is local and Dave worked for him building Duesies for 10 years. I know my friend Scotty wants me to build him a Packard he can go touring in.

23. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-19-2017 10:22 PM #1222
      Actually, a Duesenberg.
      Daaaaaaaamn!

One of the foremost Duesenberg experts is local and Dave worked for him building Duesies for 10 years. I know my friend Scotty wants me to build him a Packard he can go touring in.
      So you'd have a sugar daddy for a Packard and possibly build yourself a Duesenberg? Yowza!

05-19-2017 10:31 PM #1223
      Daaaaaaaamn!

So you'd have a sugar daddy for a Packard and possibly build yourself a Duesenberg? Yowza!
      No, I could never do two cars at once. This is supposed to be a hobby.

Everything is up in the air right now. My wife has made it pretty clear in her victim impact statement that she has no interest in travel, especially in our old cars. That kinda puts the ka-bash on a good part of the hobby for us. The joy is gone. I have some tough decisions to make.

25. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-19-2017 10:43 PM #1224
      No, I could never do two cars at once. This is supposed to be a hobby.

Everything is up in the air right now. My wife has made it pretty clear in her victim impact statement that she has no interest in travel, especially in our old cars. That kinda puts the ka-bash on a good part of the hobby for us. The joy is gone. I have some tough decisions to make.
      Well, I was thinking they'd be in succession, not done simultaneously.

I know you enjoy the building, but to have that big aspect of the hobby ruined by negligence is just maddening. And that's just from my perspective. I can only imagine how you guys feel.

05-19-2017 10:51 PM #1225
      Well, I was thinking they'd be in succession, not done simultaneously.

I know you enjoy the building, but to have that big aspect of the hobby ruined by negligence is just maddening. And that's just from my perspective. I can only imagine how you guys feel.
      Yeah, she pretty much ****ed-up our lives. We had it pretty good. She pled no contest, so it's time to move on. We've been adequately compensated, recovered physically as much as we're going to, and now have to adjust.

Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 39454647484950 LastLast