VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Should I be upset with this paint job?

7K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  Mk4_Beanz 
#1 ·
So,

A tree branch fell on my car and it ended up being resprayed. After inspecting it I'm noticing visible sanding scuffs under clear, clearcoat runs, paint on trim and dirt specks under clear. I can feel areas where the clearcoat wasn't applied, like on edges, or behind where they didn't remove the mirror. They didn't even remove the rear badge to paint the hatch, just taped over it.

Sanding scuffs:

clearcoat buildup:

contaminants under paint:

painted trim instead of doing R&I:

Should I expect a better paint job, or am I being too picky? I went with a shop that wasn't guaranteed by my insurance, so when I complained to my insurance company they are giving me pushback. They agreed to have one of their shops look at it, but I want to know before I go in if I'm being crazy or if this is a legitimate cause for concern.

Thanks for any advice :beer:

See less See more
#7 ·
Been in the same situation man. I would ask for money back and take it to another shop if possible. I say this because I've taken it back for repaint and there's always something else. Now I have to live with overspray by the door jams. Smh

#10 ·
Looks like a "scuff n shoot" to me. That's terrible but that's what production shops do - Crappy tape jobs, overspray, and typically a lack of attention to detail.

Before hiring a shop, I'll inspect their facilities and also look at examples of their work. Dirty, unorganized shop with knuckleheads loungng about are crossed off the list immediately. A well equipped, uniformed staff with clean shop floors, parts racks, and well lit work areas are considered.

#22 ·
Insurance companies have recommended shops for a reason. They have certain standards of refinish work and those shops meet those standards. You picked your own shop which did a cheap, **** job. So your SOL if your insurance doesn't want to pay for a redo. The shop you went to had no idea what they were doing and wouldn't be recommended by any insurance company. If you paid out of pocket then it's a different story. Probably a cheaper job because they have to pay techs to R&I back glass, buff, etc. Best of luck.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.