Fourtitude.com - Tales of a $1400 4Runner
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    1. 03-12-2016 09:38 PM #26
      I like the clear corners, glad so see them on something. I picked up a set for mine about 7-8 months ago and haven't installed them yet.

Looking good

2. Remove Advertisements
      Fourtitude.com
      Advertisements
      Cars
      '16 GTI 2DR 6MT, '12 Elantra, '98 4Runner 4WD
      03-12-2016 09:49 PM #27
      Harrison.
      I like the clear corners, glad so see them on something. I picked up a set for mine about 7-8 months ago and haven't installed them yet.

Looking good
      Thanks . The corners are a super easy install, maybe 10 minutes tops, btw. I'm sure you know that, but perhaps that will be more motivation for you to throw them on.

4. Member
      Cars
      '01 S2K, '12 TSX, '14 GTI
      03-12-2016 10:11 PM #28
      Looks really nice for the mileage. Toyota must have been getting those bumpers from the same supplier that made the tacoma frames.

Does your antenna work ? Never met one that does
      Expose your cracks and love will fill them.

Cars
      03-12-2016 10:27 PM #29
      The Antenna motor powers on and off when I cycle the ignition key, but the mast itself does not go up and down.....oh well, I just pulled it up manually as far as it would go, and radio reception is good enough that I won't bother with replacing it until it gets broken off.

Cars
      2002 M5, 2002 325Xi Touring, 1992 Toyota 4WD Pickup, 1995 gsx600
      03-13-2016 10:29 AM #30
      Im right behind you at 259K in my 92 Pickup and had to do some maintenance myself when I got it. You are 100% correct in the good feeling of driving around a reliable "beater" (yours looks far too nice for that term btw). These toyotas are awesome and I doubt I'll ever want to be without one again.

Cars
      '15 STI & '16 R
      03-13-2016 10:47 AM #31
      Oh hey, I met you and your gf/wife/so/etc at Katie's yesterday!

Oh and because of how bad that bumper was rusted out, it's probably worth taking a look and making sure the crank mechanism that suspends your spare is in good shape. I helped my dad replace his after he read a horror story about a guy losing his spare on the highway at ~70mph.

Cars
      '16 Golf R, '08 MDX, '00 rustrunna daily edition
      03-13-2016 11:18 AM #32
      Nice beater! Looks like it has been worth the time and effort. Also how do you like the Hankook ATM? I am thinking of putting a set on my Taco. Are they quiet? good in the rain or snow?

9. 03-13-2016 11:33 AM #33
      Maybe this is just me, but I can't stand the faux wood dash stickers. Have you considered removing them and cleaning up the base-black plastic with some goo gone? Or if you like them, maybe replace them with a $120-ish set from eBay? With either option, a cosmetic improvement like that along with your plan for seat-covers/new-seats would go a long way to freshening it up.

Regardless, great job on fixing this one up. It's been great reading through your progress.

Cars
      03-13-2016 11:54 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      Oh hey, I met you and your gf/wife/so/etc at Katie's yesterday!

Oh and because of how bad that bumper was rusted out, it's probably worth taking a look and making sure the crank mechanism that suspends your spare is in good shape. I helped my dad replace his after he read a horror story about a guy losing his spare on the highway at ~70mph.
      Yep, that was me and my soon to be wife (in a couple of months)! I brought my GTI there as well, but parked in the back lot next to a Black MK7 R. Nice meeting you, your wife, and the other TCL'er. And love your new R, the Laguna's look great on it.

Surprisingly, the spare tire mechanism is in tip-top shape.....the spare itself, on the other hand, is in terrible shape. I'm still on the prowl for a decent stock 16" tire/wheel (full size) combo to throw under there. And actually, while we're on that topic, it seems as though the previous owner definitely owned a boat at some point. All signs point to the rear end being dunked in water, as parts that are normally not rusty on any vehicle are in fact rusty (example: the rear diff drain bolt, which I had to take into Toyota and have them replace, as well as the seized parking break mechanism on the drivers side drum that I fixed with liberal application of WD-40 and about 200 pulls of the lever.

Quote Originally Posted by candy11
      Nice beater! Looks like it has been worth the time and effort. Also how do you like the Hankook ATM? I am thinking of putting a set on my Taco. Are they quiet? good in the rain or snow?
      Love love love these tires. They are ridiculously awesome in the snow, and great in the rain as well. I had no issues driving through the recent great blizzard of 2016, and unfortunately, I'm required to report to work regardless of conditions unless there is an impending apocalypse. If i recall correctly, I never even had to shovel. I just threw it into 4-LO and crawled out of most spots.

Given that they are more aggressive than a normal road-biased SUV tire, they are a little louder than, say, a Firestone Destination tire, but it is not over-bearing at all. I can still have a normal conversation with a rear passenger at 70 mph with the windows closed. And remember, this 4Runner is 18 years old, and the lack of sound-insulation is definitely apparent when going from this to one of our other cars. However, they balance out very well (almost no shimmy after throwing these on, and ABSOLUTELY no shimmy after replacing the steering rack bushings), have been wearing very well and evenly, and ride smoothly. It took me a while to find the right PSI for them, and i think 36PSI is the perfect pressure for a good ride/handling/wear balance.

11. Member
      Cars
      2016 2dr 6mt PP LP GTI, 2008 Nissan Xterra Off Road
      03-13-2016 12:24 PM #35
      If you are looking at suspension, I would highly encourage you to look at Old Man Emu shocks/coils/leaf springs. I have them on my Xterra, and I had them on the Tacoma I used to have. They are amazing, and will outlast your truck.

Cars
      '16 Golf R, '08 MDX, '00 rustrunna daily edition
      03-13-2016 01:49 PM #36
      Last edited by candy11; 03-13-2016 at 02:05 PM.

Cars
      2017 VW Golf R 6spd, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
      03-13-2016 04:06 PM #37
      Great thread is great.

Cars
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      03-13-2016 05:46 PM #38
      Glad it's treating you well. The rear bumpers on that gen of 4R are all rusted out. Most of the ones I see here are mostly "made" of this.

Cars
      2012 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Volvo 240 5MT, 1971 Honda CL350 Scrambler
      03-14-2016 10:13 AM #39
      Looks awesome! Have you thought about taking it offroad at the GW Ntl Forest? I kinda want to take my Volvo there on some fire roads to see what it will do. It did great in the snowpocalypse, I even pulled a stuck Grand Cherokee out of a ditch!

Cars
      '15 STI & '16 R
      03-14-2016 10:32 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by toneloc914 View Post
      Yep, that was me and my soon to be wife (in a couple of months)!
      Congratulations!

Cars
      It varies.
      03-14-2016 11:08 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Fettes Brot View Post
      Great thread is great.
      I love projects like this.

18. 03-14-2016 12:14 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by MAC View Post
      Looks really nice for the mileage. Toyota must have been getting those bumpers from the same supplier that made the tacoma frames.

Does your antenna work ? Never met one that does
      I don't think Dana made bumpers?!?

19. 03-14-2016 07:04 PM #43
      Funny enough I am looking at the same senario, except the 4R I am looking at has a new engine and they did most of the maintenance.

Cars
      03-14-2016 08:41 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by DeanStevenson View Post
      Maybe this is just me, but I can't stand the faux wood dash stickers. Have you considered removing them and cleaning up the base-black plastic with some goo gone? Or if you like them, maybe replace them with a $120-ish set from eBay? With either option, a cosmetic improvement like that along with your plan for seat-covers/new-seats would go a long way to freshening it up.

Regardless, great job on fixing this one up. It's been great reading through your progress.
      It's not just you. I'm not a fan of the wood, but from the small amount of research that I've done on how to remove it, I've heard that the end result is worse sometime than just keeping the wood on there. Fun fact, though.....the wood is actually REAL. Its covered (well, WAS covered) with a plastic overcoat, but it is in fact real wood. If you look at the original post, you can see how it looks with the plastic/lamination taken off. If/when i make a junk-yard run, that will be on my list, along with the seats.

Quote Originally Posted by 1krautburner View Post
      If you are looking at suspension, I would highly encourage you to look at Old Man Emu shocks/coils/leaf springs. I have them on my Xterra, and I had them on the Tacoma I used to have. They are amazing, and will outlast your truck.
      Thanks for the suggestion! I have heard of the brand before, and I'll look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      Congratulations!
      Thank you sir. The wedding planning and expenses is certainly part of the reason why the project hasn't progressed faster, but I suppose there will always have to be some sort of balance between "hobbies" and real life.

Quote Originally Posted by windycityvdub View Post
      Looks awesome! Have you thought about taking it offroad at the GW Ntl Forest? I kinda want to take my Volvo there on some fire roads to see what it will do. It did great in the snowpocalypse, I even pulled a stuck Grand Cherokee out of a ditch!
      I've definitely thought of it. I know of some great places out there, as I used to camp out there with friends when I went to school at JMU (which is in Harrisonburg). I have a very fond memory of a local (to the outskirts of Harrisonburg) hillbilly driving his lifted Bronco into a stream/small lake and flooding the motor while off-roading. This was on a dark Saturday night, and with the poor cell phone reception and distance that we were from civilization, he'd have to wait a while to get towed out, so we invited him to our camp and had some beers while laughing at the situation. I wouldn't want to go out that far without a partner, though.

Cars
      03-14-2016 08:47 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by URSledgehammer View Post
      Funny enough I am looking at the same senario, except the 4R I am looking at has a new engine and they did most of the maintenance.
      Good luck with the purchase! Can I make a suggestion for you? Sign up on www.toyota.com/owners, and use the VIN of the 4R to pull the previous history. I know you know of the engine being changed, but you can literally see any past maintenance done on the rig as long as it's been done at a Toyota dealer. That really impressed me when I read about it, and helped with my decision as well (because I knew that the timing belt was done, the axle seals had been done within the last 2 years, and there was a steady history of maintenance since 2005 or so).

You'll love the truck, but I'm sure you already know that.

Cars
      2017 VW Golf R 6spd, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
      03-15-2016 07:18 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by 4.OMG View Post
      I love projects like this.
      It doesn't help that I've been wanting to find a cheap hiking/camping rig for the back roads up in the mountains. Sadly, the cheapest, smashed up 4R's around here are still more expensive than the total cost to date on this build.

I'm looking at xterras too, but they just don't seem the same. Tend to be rustier, etc.

Cars
      I used to drive a Rabbit5GTI or something. May also own a NATO Sand Jeep.
      03-15-2016 07:40 PM #47
      I love this thread.

Makes me want to ask my neighbor if he's interested in selling his

Cars
      03-23-2016 12:27 AM #48
      So the "Natural White" paint was struggling a bit on the white part, but that was never a priority for me with this truck. Today, I had enough time on my hands to attempt to revive the paint a little. The results are dramatic, given this was all done by hand. I can't wait to use the buffer on this thing.

This paint is single-stage, so it wasn't too hard to get a good shine back. I used Turtle Wax Polishing Compound initially, and followed that up with Griot's Garage cleaner wax.

You can see on the left side of the door the difference between actual white, and the dirty white that it was previously.

Rear door polished (but not waxed), front door and rear quarter not polished yet. BTW, the entire truck was washed immediately prior to these pics being taken.

Lower half of the hood polished, upper half not polished.

After waxing:

I'll get better pics in the daylight using my Nikon SLR camera once I finish the roof and the wheels (which is probably a day in itself). Not bad for 18 year old paint

03-23-2016 12:30 AM #49
      Wow, crazy how dirty that paint was...I don't get how it got like that. Eager to see what clay and a machine polish will do.
      2016 Passion Red/Off-black S60 T5 R-Design
      2006 Ice White/Oak XC70
      1996 Polar White/Charcoal 854R

26. 03-23-2016 12:42 AM #50
      I've been following this thread.

I'm picking up a 99 limited 4Runner this weekend. I wanted to get a land cruiser but the deal on the 4Runner was too good to pass up. 1 owner with 207k, Tons of maintenance, picked it up for $2300
      Ill be posting pics this weekend

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast