Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
      Cars
      '16 GTI 2DR 6MT, '12 Elantra, '98 4Runner 4WD
      03-19-2017 09:59 PM #76
      U.....pdate on this thing, that I've come to love quite a lot. It's Currently sitting at 287.5k, with no mechanical problems. I'm still amazed by the fact that it still does not burn or use any oil, has no leaks, and has been incredibly reliable. I just returned from a 700 mile trip to NY and back, and it returned a hand calculated 20.7 MPG, so from a mechanical standpoint, it seems that it is as healthy as ever. Maybe I'll do a compression test and post the numbers when time permits......

I've done work on some of the cosmetic nuances that bothered me, and preemptively replaced the alternator, as the pulley finally started making noise. The alternator replacement was the easiest that I've ever done on any vehicle, given its location and the crazy amount of space in the engine bay.

Old and new.

The powered antenna has never worked since I've had the 4runner, but its always been stuck half-way up, and that's been enough for it to capture a decent radio signal. It ended up getting bent, and finally broken off, after multiple car wash visits, so I ended up replacing the entire powered antenna system with a "Whip" antenna from a similar year Toyota Tacoma. The whip antennas are easily removal, and I liked the simplicity of that vs. a new powered unit that was bound to have issues again in the future. I basically followed the DIY posted on T4R.org, http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...-question.html

While I had the head unit out, I finally wired the bluetooth microphone into the car, and hard-wired/mounted my ScanGauge II to take place of the ashtray. I bought the scan gauge to closely monitor voltage from the alternator, the water temp, and transmission temp (which unfortunately does not display on the 96-98 4Runners). It also has the ability to read OBD2 codes and clear them, but I haven't had any CEL's as of late.

When I bought the 4Runner, it did not come with the alarm/keyless entry remotes, but I realized while cleaning the interior that it was wired for the Toyota VIP RS3000 alarm system. I gambled on the system actually working, and referenced the FCC code listed on the main alarm unit to purchase a new remote from Amazon (for $68) . I followed instructions found online to program the remote, and to my surprise, the system actually works. I am now able to lock and unlock via remote, and the alarm portion works as well. The piezo chirper (the typical sound you hear on Toyota/Lexus vehicles when locking or unlocking them) is strangely only working when it is bitterly cold out, so that will need to be replaced at some point.

And finally, The factory wheels were in really rough shape, and I've been pondering it I wanted to even bother having them re-finished or painted, or if I just preferred to go with a new wheel. Since I've been driving it so much, I figured I would give myself a gift (most of my money has been going to non-car related expenses lately) and purchase a new set of wheels. I wanted something different.....i think I achieved that. Not everyone's preference, but I happen to like Bronze wheels.

Better pictures to come once I have a chance to clean the thing....she's filthy.

The elephant in the room is the rocker panel rust, which is getting worse and worse every time I look at it. I will look into getting that addressed (however that may look) before it gets out of control. I really need an "in" on a body shop that will fix it the right way (or tell me if its even worth it to fix).

2. Remove Advertisements
      Fourtitude.com
      Advertisements
      Cars
      '16 3.0L A6,'16 A4, 02 Trailblazer
      03-19-2017 10:32 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.

Cars
      '17 Accord Sport SE 6MT Andy Approved! - '12 Honda Pilot EX-L Family Truckster
      03-19-2017 11:01 PM #78
      I love this thread, keep up the excellent work and updates. There is nothing like the simplicity and bulletproofness of 90s Japanese trucks.

Cars
      2012 Explorer, and an 02 Sube Outback
      03-20-2017 12:27 AM #79
      Whoa! Great updates and love the progress!
      Goodbye Heimlich May 1st, 1999 - May 24th, 2016. 1999.5 MkIV Jetta 2.0
      My Vintage Tamiya Showroom
      Quote Originally Posted by HotCarlWeathers View Post
      Also, I will **** up a g** damn dollar.fifty hot dog or three. Praise tubesteak jesus.

Cars
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      03-20-2017 08:12 AM #80
      I love those wheels, they'd look awesome on my dark blue 4runner.

Cars
      '12 MINI Clubman S '85 Mercedes-Benz 280CE
      03-20-2017 09:11 AM #81
      3rd Gen 4Runners are a perfect candidate for these mini-restorations. They're timeless trucks that have such a huge lifespan-- plus you'll likely get most of your $ back.

Nice work and I'd love to do the same!
      Last edited by CostcoPizza; 03-20-2017 at 09:15 AM.

8. 03-20-2017 09:19 AM #82
      It's amazing that such an old 4Runner has 4-pot front brakes and newer bigass Tahoes have 2-pot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. 03-20-2017 09:20 AM #83
      I've been planning on buying those same exact wheels for my 4runner since I bought it two years ago..just been waiting on the Michelin MTX that are on it to wear out first. They've still got a little life left though.

I also need to order a remote and try out the keyless, I know my car had it new as I have what's left of a remote (dog chewed it up).

Cars
      2015 Audi S4, 1996 Ford Bronco EB
      03-20-2017 02:52 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by toneloc914 View Post
      The elephant in the room is the rocker panel rust, which is getting worse and worse every time I look at it. I will look into getting that addressed (however that may look) before it gets out of control. I really need an "in" on a body shop that will fix it the right way (or tell me if its even worth it to fix).
      Shoot me a PM and I'll give you a place to do the rust. I had an issue with some rust on my full size Bronco and took it to a place in Chantilly that did a great job of fixing it. I'll be taking it back to them this spring to have some other items addressed. Pricing was very reasonable considering what they needed to do on my truck.

Cars
      03-20-2017 08:37 PM #85
      Thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by I_like_waffles
      It's amazing that such an old 4Runner has 4-pot front brakes and newer bigass Tahoes have 2-pot.

I'm equally amazed by that, given the braking power of this truck....I'd love to see how a Tahoe does in comparison. I'll be upgrading the front calipers and brakes to Tundra brakes in the near future. They are pretty much a straight swap, and will not warp (which these 4Runners do, and mine shows signs of warped rotors).

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison.
      I've been planning on buying those same exact wheels for my 4runner since I bought it two years ago..just been waiting on the Michelin MTX that are on it to wear out first. They've still got a little life left though.

I also need to order a remote and try out the keyless, I know my car had it new as I have what's left of a remote (dog chewed it up).
      Waiting for a Michelin tire to wear is like waiting until marriage to cash in your v-card.....**** just ain't happenin'. What year is your 4R? My research revealed that the 96-98's do not come from the factory with keyless/alarm....its installed at the "Port" or at the dealer. Starting with the '99 model, the 4R's had factory installed keyless, so the process of finding a compatible remote and re-programming it to the vehicle will be a bit different.

Quote Originally Posted by .:RDriver
      Shoot me a PM and I'll give you a place to do the rust. I had an issue with some rust on my full size Bronco and took it to a place in Chantilly that did a great job of fixing it. I'll be taking it back to them this spring to have some other items addressed. Pricing was very reasonable considering what they needed to do on my truck.
      Thanks, PM'ing now

12. 03-21-2017 08:35 AM #86
      Mine is a 98. My girlfriends parents bought it new and sold it to me after insurance totaled it in a minor accident. I replaced the pass side fender/bumper/headlight and have been truckin' ever since. They gave me one remote with the car that had been chewed up by their dog, so I'm assuming that it worked at one point since they'd been carrying it for nearly 20 years.

And yeah, those MTX's have lasted a REALLY long time. When I bought it I thought for sure I'd be replacing them sooner than later, but they've worn hardly any in that time. I just hate not using them up since I won't be able to re-use them on the new wheels. My 4runner came with the 15" enkei wheels and have 30x10.5x15's mounted on them. When I buy wheels I'd planned on 16's and running 265/70/16's.

13. Member
      Cars
      11 Cooper S, 02 4Runner, 83 GTI
      03-21-2017 11:28 AM #87
      This thread has me thinking bad things and then this 99 Taco pops up. I noticed it last night a few blocks from my house and looked it over. Seems very clean overall minus some minor cosmetic issues (bumper rust) but the frame is in excellent shape.

Clutch/Timing belt were done 20k ago, tires are almost new, and its 1 owner. Anything to be wary of?

https://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/6053454321.html

Cars
      03-21-2017 11:49 AM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by SourKrout View Post
      This thread has me thinking bad things and then this 99 Taco pops up. I noticed it last night a few blocks from my house and looked it over. Seems very clean overall minus some minor cosmetic issues (bumper rust) but the frame is in excellent shape.

Clutch/Timing belt were done 20k ago, tires are almost new, and its 1 owner. Anything to be wary of?

https://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/6053454321.html
      That looks like a great deal, and 1 owner is a plus. Low miles for the year, and it looks like he's addressed most of the common issues (starter (contacts), timing belt, etc) with that generation Taco. There are 3 major points I'd want to look into with that particular truck, given what I see.

1. It's a PA truck, and I know PA is known for over-salting their roads. I know you looked at the frame, but I'd look REAL close at the common failure points on the frame (where the bed meets the cab, and on 4R's, where the rear LCA meets the frame (I know the Taco's have a leaf spring rear suspension, so the design may be different))

2. The lower ball joints are known to be the weak point of the suspension on both the 3rd gen 4runner and that generation Tacoma, usually between 150k-200k. I'd immediately want to replace them if I bought that truck, with genuine Toyota ball joints. Not a hard install/diy at all, but I'd have to do it for peace of mind.

3. The good thing is the truck is a manual, so no issues with the pink milkshake. However, if the radiator is starting to develop a "brown" color (it's originally black), I'd look into a radiator replacement as well. That's an easy job, and you can find a quality Densl radiator for these on amazon for less than $100.

15. Member
      Cars
      11 Cooper S, 02 4Runner, 83 GTI
      03-21-2017 12:24 PM #89
      That looks like a great deal, and 1 owner is a plus. Low miles for the year, and it looks like he's addressed most of the common issues (starter (contacts), timing belt, etc) with that generation Taco. There are 3 major points I'd want to look into with that particular truck, given what I see.

1. It's a PA truck, and I know PA is known for over-salting their roads. I know you looked at the frame, but I'd look REAL close at the common failure points on the frame (where the bed meets the cab, and on 4R's, where the rear LCA meets the frame (I know the Taco's have a leaf spring rear suspension, so the design may be different))

2. The lower ball joints are known to be the weak point of the suspension on both the 3rd gen 4runner and that generation Tacoma, usually between 150k-200k. I'd immediately want to replace them if I bought that truck, with genuine Toyota ball joints. Not a hard install/diy at all, but I'd have to do it for peace of mind.

3. The good thing is the truck is a manual, so no issues with the pink milkshake. However, if the radiator is starting to develop a "brown" color (it's originally black), I'd look into a radiator replacement as well. That's an easy job, and you can find a quality Densl radiator for these on amazon for less than $100.

Solid advice, thanks!

Everything was looked over quickly so I'll be sure to go over it with a fine tooth comb. The owner did email me back saying the frame hasn't been replaced but was given a clean bill of health in the past year when getting one leaf spring bracket replaced...from rust. So we'll see.

Cars
      2015 Audi S4, 1996 Ford Bronco EB
      03-21-2017 01:42 PM #90

Thanks, PM'ing now
      Responded.

17. Member
      Cars
      Flat bill hat wearing, monster drinking, vaping douchemobile
      03-21-2017 01:56 PM #91
      Guarantee you that's a unibody Tacoma lol
      15 GTI SE 6MT DBP 4 Door - Individual Driving Mode - Carbon Exhaust Buildup Mod - 78%N/21%O/1%Various Intake - Rear Cosco Booster Seat - Bridgestone All Seasons - Hair Ties/Bobby Pin Collector
      96 XJ Mall Cruiser - 0" Lift - 29" Goodyears on 15" Alloys - Lemon Air Refresher

Cars
      Murica
      03-21-2017 02:20 PM #92
      I'm amazed that I missed this thread before.

Great progress, these things are really pretty easy to keep on the road if you just don't let the little things get out of control.

Looks like you're enjoying it!
      Instagram - efrie004

Cars
      I used to drive a Rabbit5GTI or something. May also own a NATO Sand Jeep.
      03-21-2017 03:20 PM #93
      Every time I read this thread, it makes me want to offer some jnms to my neighbor for his similar vintage 4Runner.
      Own a Chevrolet SS? Join the Official TCL Registry!

It's me, Rabbit, I promise.
      Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Dubber-GLI View Post
      NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

Cars
      Murica
      03-21-2017 03:55 PM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by PizzaCat! View Post
      Every time I read this thread, it makes me want to offer some jnms to my neighbor for his similar vintage 4Runner.
      A yeep, 4 runner, broken P-car, and an SS.

God bless America.
      Instagram - efrie004

Cars
      '16 Golf R, '08 MDX, '00 rustrunna daily edition
      03-21-2017 05:01 PM #95
      Wow the real wood trim is in great shape. Mine was a mess at 150k.

Cars
      03-21-2017 07:10 PM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by Harrison. View Post
      Mine is a 98. My girlfriends parents bought it new and sold it to me after insurance totaled it in a minor accident. I replaced the pass side fender/bumper/headlight and have been truckin' ever since. They gave me one remote with the car that had been chewed up by their dog, so I'm assuming that it worked at one point since they'd been carrying it for nearly 20 years.

And yeah, those MTX's have lasted a REALLY long time. When I bought it I thought for sure I'd be replacing them sooner than later, but they've worn hardly any in that time. I just hate not using them up since I won't be able to re-use them on the new wheels. My 4runner came with the 15" enkei wheels and have 30x10.5x15's mounted on them. When I buy wheels I'd planned on 16's and running 265/70/16's.
      '98 was a good year . In that case, take a look under your drivers seat and see if you can find something that looks like the box on the left, like this....

Its usually zip-tied to the drivers seat, but mine was actually sitting on the floor, not attached to anything. If its not there, then it would be behind the dash (driver side lower). Take a look at the FCC code, and just type it into google, and you will see which remote aligns with your alarm unit. 9 times out of 10, its the same remote that mine uses. I bought mine on amazon, using the following link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Programming is super easy. I followed the instructions below.

http://4runners.org/writeups/rs3000/

I'm running 265/75/16's, which would be the equivalent of an 1" larger diameter. I found that it fills the wheel well better, but I do have very slight rubbing on the drivers side when making a hard left turn. My inner wheel well plastic liner is not secured 100% (missing a couple of the fender clips), which i think is the cause of the rubbing. I'll be addressing that soon.

Cars
      03-21-2017 07:16 PM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by PizzaCat! View Post
      Do it, you won't regret it (unless they say no). Its definitely a different feel than the Jeep, but 4Runners are cool in their own way. Seems like you typically go for the "cool" cars (based on the posts I've seen of yours).

Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics
      Wow the real wood trim is in great shape. Mine was a mess at 150k.
      Ehhh, its seen better days, but that may not be obvious in the pictures. The plastic clear-coat/overcoat is fragile and yellowing due to sun damage, and its cracked off in some places. I plan on making a trip to the junk yard soon to replace all of that with the regular black plastic. Not a fan of the wood, but it is a conversation starter for sure.

Cars
      I used to drive a Rabbit5GTI or something. May also own a NATO Sand Jeep.
      03-21-2017 07:27 PM #98
      Do it, you won't regret it (unless they say no). Its definitely a different feel than the Jeep, but 4Runners are cool in their own way. Seems like you typically go for the "cool" cars (based on the posts I've seen of yours).

If anything, I need to trim back. Keep it up, though - I thoroughly enjoy reading this thread.
      Own a Chevrolet SS? Join the Official TCL Registry!

It's me, Rabbit, I promise.
      Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Dubber-GLI View Post
      NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

Cars
      03-21-2017 08:17 PM #99
      Spent the greater part of today attacking the paint again, this time with a DA Polisher, off-the-shelf Turtle Wax Liquid Polishing Compound, and Griot's Garage One-Step Cleaner Sealant (1 layer). Very happy with the results this time around.

After wash, during the polishing phase:

This really shows the difference. Fender and hood have been polished, doors have not. Its almost a different shade of white.

Finished product, 8 hours later (wash, dry, polish, sealant, other details). Cleans up nicely for 19 year old original paint. I'm glad that this paint is single stage....i imagine I'd have clearcoat issues if it were a clearcoat color (anything but Red or White).

I still need to hit the roof, but ran out of time today. I'll need to remove the roof rack and spoiler.....

26. 03-21-2017 08:41 PM #100
      New submission to bored wife/girlfriend thread. Good work!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast