Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    1. Member
      Cars
      Evo VIII, BMW e12
      09-14-2015 12:06 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by zmt View Post
      Which ones did you go with? I've seen the projector style with multiple elements in the housing and the ones that look more like a reflector/sealed beam design. The first ones look kinda weird to me on the vehicle (just not what the brain expects to see) but they might perform better. I also don't want to spend a ton of money, so I may just duct tape like 24 of those free harbor freight flashlights in the housings and call it a day
      Jeep actually offers the JW SPeaker lights as a MOPAR acessory.

http://www.mopar.com/part/82214333AB...7279172&b=jeep

2. Remove Advertisements
      Fourtitude.com
      Advertisements
      Cars
      '01 VW , '12 S4
      09-14-2015 12:20 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Quinn1.8t View Post
      Jeep actually offers the JW SPeaker lights as a MOPAR acessory.

http://www.mopar.com/part/82214333AB...7279172&b=jeep
      yah and they're silly expensive compared to other products on the market that perform just as well.

Cars
      '07 335i, '12 Caravan, JK... JK! it's a JKU
      09-14-2015 12:31 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tan View Post
      yah and they're silly expensive compared to other products on the market that perform just as well.
      Yeah, yeesh. I think I was looking at the truck-lite ones that are ~$330 for a set. I might still do that once fall/winter gets here and I'm doing more driving at night. I can't remember the last time I turned on my headlights so it's clearly not a pressing issue right now.
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      please find a quote.

5. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      09-14-2015 12:42 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
      I'm not getting rid of my TJ and buying one but this is pretty much what I would want. 2 door with longer wheel base like the LJ was to the TJ. I don't need or want 4 doors necessarily I just want something longer.
      A longer wheelbase would certainly help it in the slippery stuff. As I understand it they can be downright twitchy when there's snow/ice on the ground and that's when everyone wants you to take them everywhere, too!

Come to think of it, that could be your excuse... "No, I can't go out when it's icy, these things spin easily and I don't want to crash!"
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

6. Member
      09-14-2015 01:01 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      A longer wheelbase would certainly help it in the slippery stuff. As I understand it they can be downright twitchy when there's snow/ice on the ground and that's when everyone wants you to take them everywhere, too!

Come to think of it, that could be your excuse... "No, I can't go out when it's icy, these things spin easily and I don't want to crash!"
      1-3 inches I hate my TJ in the snow and will take my fwd car with all seasons assuming it isn't going to continue to accumulate. I HATE my TJ in those kind of conditions. Even in 4wd they want to rotate with every little bump or change in throttle. The saving grace is if they do and you ditch it no need to call for help

Get a little more snow though and they are much more planted.

Part of that is my tire choice (which sucks for snow) but really I hate the wheelbase. Hopefully switching to something else for this winter and then in a year or 2 will be taking a sawzall to the frame.

Cars
      '01 VW , '12 S4
      09-14-2015 01:03 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post

i can confirm this. I owned a 2 door and 4 door JK. they both went incredibly well in snow, but the 2 door was a little sketchy at times compared to the 4 door.

Cars
      '15 JKU Rubicon 6MT, '04 Nogaro S4 Avant 6MT (sold), '09 A4 Avant (sold), '08 R32 (sold)
      09-14-2015 02:06 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by zmt View Post
      Yeah, yeesh. I think I was looking at the truck-lite ones that are ~$330 for a set. I might still do that once fall/winter gets here and I'm doing more driving at night. I can't remember the last time I turned on my headlights so it's clearly not a pressing issue right now.
      I went with the truck-lite and highly recommend them.

Cars
      Fusion Hybrid
      09-14-2015 02:30 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clarkson View Post

Cars
      '77 Bronco '85 Toyota 4x4 '87 930 '91 M5 '08 Xterra
      10-01-2015 11:30 AM #59
      No more soft top?

http://blog.caranddriver.com/2017-je...etails-emerge/

We already know the folding front windshield will be replaced by a fixed unit. According to Allpar’s source, the traditional soft top will also disappear. Additionally, the sport bar is replaced by an integrated substructure, likely with at least four stressed mounting points: “The traditional soft top is gone,” the website’s source says. “It appears to have removable soft panels over the substructure. The sport bar design is gone. It even appears to have built-in grab handles.”

Although hard-core fans may be saddened to see the traditional sport bar—commonly referred to as a “roll bar,” although litigation banned the use of that term years ago—the reasons for going this route are numerous. In addition to allowing engineers to optimize the body, aluminum or otherwise, for maximum torsional rigidity, it also will give FCA the opportunity to get a leg up on addressing any changes that may come along in the NHTSA safety mandates. The fixed A-pillar plays into this, as well. (Currently NHTSA maintains a “convertible exception” that permits open-top cars to resist less force than other vehicles.)

The design would also allow engineers to remove weight from the top assembly and lessen the need for lower-body structural reinforcements, which in turn helps with fuel economy and gives the vehicle a lower center of gravity. You can bet Jeep will configure a removable top of some kind to work with the new structure, and removable doors will likely also be part of the plan.

Cars
      2016 BMW 340i M Sport
      10-01-2015 11:35 AM #60
      Sounds like it will have a soft top, just not the traditional one. Good riddance. The current soft top is a major pain in the ass to deal with. From your article - " “It appears to have removable soft panels over the substructure. "

Quote Originally Posted by patrickvr6 View Post
      http://www.speedsportlife.com
      @speedsportlife @zerinSSL
      2016 Melbourne Red BMW 340i MSport w/ Track Package

12. Member
      Cars
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      10-01-2015 12:17 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by patrickvr6 View Post
      I think the 4-door Unlimited brought a bunch of people into the Wrangler family who never had experiences with older cloth top Wranglers/CJs.
      These new customers did not adapt well to the noise, occasional leaks, and general chore of erecting/lowering their soft-tops.
      I've seen numerous soft-tops (and hard-top) JKs driving around with some critical failure with putting the top on correctly.
      These are the same people that will complain to JD Power, etc...., about the Jeep being "unreliable".

Considering all of this, and increased MPG and safety legislation on the horizon, Jeep probably saw this as the right time to make big changes to the open air Wrangler.

The current hardtop Wrangler has removable hard panels, so if this new soft-top design is similar to that, but with soft panels, I don't think it will be so bad.
      Honestly, with the increase amount of roll cage and door framing on the current Wranglers, the classic "open-air" feeling is a thing of the past anyway.

Cars
      Golf 7 R, NA Miata, Ford Ranger
      10-01-2015 12:26 PM #62
      I have never seen a modern Jeep with its windshield folded. Did anyone ever actually do it?

I know why the original jeeps had folding windshields, but keeping that feature for 70 years seemed a bit odd for me.

Cars
      '07 335i, '12 Caravan, JK... JK! it's a JKU
      10-01-2015 12:37 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by Smigelski View Post
      I have never seen a modern Jeep with its windshield folded. Did anyone ever actually do it?

I know why the original jeeps had folding windshields, but keeping that feature for 70 years seemed a bit odd for me.
      I think it's almost vestigial at this point. It technically works, but don't they paint the hinges after they're assembled, so you're basically damaging the finish on the window hinges when/if you do it?

I'm curious to see what the top solution is for the new one. I don't mind the soft top (aside from the windows) in mine, and since my jeep spends most of its time like this:

I hope the new one offers a similar amount of open air feel.
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      please find a quote.

Cars
      '13 Subaru Outback
      10-01-2015 12:42 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by zerind View Post
      Sounds like it will have a soft top, just not the traditional one. Good riddance. The current soft top is a major pain in the ass to deal with. From your article - " “It appears to have removable soft panels over the substructure. "
      Yep. Sounds to me like buyers will have their choice of soft or hard panels that fit over a skeletal roof structure. Sort of like the "Freedom Top" now.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling and

Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      the magniloquent messiah of the butthurt former VW owners.

Cars
      Logitech G29
      10-01-2015 12:57 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Yep. Sounds to me like buyers will have their choice of soft or hard panels that fit over a skeletal roof structure. Sort of like the "Freedom Top" now.
      But then why have soft and hard panels? The whole point of a soft top is that it folds back. If the top doesn't fold and instead has removable panels like the freedom top then why would you bother offering those panels in fabric?

I think it's gonna end up having a power folding partial soft-top similar to the Fiat 500 Cabrio.

17. 10-01-2015 01:05 PM #66

It's a pain in the ass. You have to disassemble the forward bars of the roll cage to do it. I don't think anyone bothers to do it anymore, so I'm not surprised this feature is going away.

18. 10-01-2015 01:07 PM #67
      I wonder if the doors will still be removable. I bet that'll end at somepoint also. . .

Cars
      12 Ecoboosted Flex, 11 6-speed quad cab Frontier, recently sold02 330i, 09 Flex, 01 Wrangler
      10-01-2015 01:21 PM #68
      Some of the complaints mentioned are some of the things that I miss the most about my Jeep. The short wheel base makes it a little tail happy on ice but I never felt out of control even with the auto locker and 33x10.50 mud terrains. The soft top could be a PIA especially when it was cold but there is no other 4 wheel vehicle that gives your the open air experience aside from maybe an ariel atom.

20. Member
      10-01-2015 01:38 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
      I wonder if the doors will still be removable. I bet that'll end at somepoint also. . .
      They banned ratchets?!? dammit whats next!

Cars
      2011 GTI 2dr 6M, 2014 JKU
      10-01-2015 02:03 PM #70
      Nobody does it because it looks ridiculous and it's a pain in the ass
      The OG Russells is back!

Quote Originally Posted by Sump View Post
      I'm sure a lot of these guys went home after the carwash and played a little hans solo.

Cars
      1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT, 1994 Miata R-Package
      10-10-2015 08:08 PM #71
      This should interest a lot of you!

via Automobile
      You’re looking at a development mule of the next-generation Jeep Wrangler, which our spy photographers recently caught testing in both two-door and four-door forms. Though the prototypes are still using current-generation Wrangler bodies, a few notable modifications signify that new underpinnings are in play.

Up front, we can see that the hood is extended a bit aft of the front fenders, suggesting a different dash-to-axle ratio for the new off-roader. A matte finish on some of the prototypes also hints that certain body panels may incorporate aluminum to save weight, as we previously reported. The new Wrangler isn’t likely adopt a fully aluminum body like the Ford F-150 pickup, but certain parts like the doors, tailgate, fenders, and hood are expected to use the lightweight material.

2018 suspension:

Current suspension:

Another significant change is a new suspension setup that’s visible in the rear. The current Wrangler’s rear crossmember is absent from these mules, making us think that the new SUV will use a different rear suspension geometry, though it’s too early to tell what that might be. The Jeep Wrangler currently uses a live axle with coil springs, trailing arms, and a stabilizer bar.

Expect the 2018 Jeep Wrangler to arrive in early 2018, possibly at that year’s Detroit auto show. It’s likely to shed weight compared with the current car, though it will retain the body-on-frame, off-road-oriented construction that makes it such a unique proposition in the automotive world.

Stay tuned for more news to come about the next Wrangler, and check out the photos of these prototypes in the meantime.

Last edited by Wimbledon; 05-20-2016 at 02:33 PM.
      Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | PSN: dsgolson | XBL: Ryukein
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      Your photos don't qualify for the Ryukein seal of approval
      |||||||

Cars
      1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT, 1994 Miata R-Package
      05-03-2016 04:59 PM #72
      Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | PSN: dsgolson | XBL: Ryukein
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      Your photos don't qualify for the Ryukein seal of approval
      |||||||

05-03-2016 05:12 PM #73
      Can confirm that it resembles a wrangler
      Texts Between Men: My calculator watch said "80085" for boobs

Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      I've sucd di lsks bigger than. You

Cars
      98 whatchamacallit
      05-03-2016 05:22 PM #74

It's good fer huntin' City Boy!

Yeah, the older Gens were much easier to do it.

Cars
      KTM, Honda
      05-03-2016 07:16 PM #75
      Bros everywhere are foaming at the mouf.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast