Fourtitude.com - Caddy Van USA - The build thread for a brand new project.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    1. Member
      Cars
      2001 Golf GLS 2.0 AVH
      06-04-2015 01:28 PM #51
      I'm curious here: when you buy a chassis you're buying it straight from the factory right? Do they offer to paint it for you? I would certainly ask for some factory paint if I could. Roughly how much does the chassis cost? How about the cost of importing it?

2. Remove Advertisements
      Fourtitude.com
      Advertisements
    3. 06-08-2015 03:37 AM #52
      Greetings from Poznan, Poland, the place where the VW Caddy is produced.
      I'm really looking forward to reading this topic, especially to the upcoming part about the importation process.

4. Geriatric Member
      Cars
      '97 BMW 328i | '10 Mazda5
      06-08-2015 09:52 AM #53
      subscribed... because hitting the subscribe button for me doesn't always work

Cars
      '04 Saab 9-3, '83 VW Rabbit
      06-08-2015 11:06 AM #54
      Interesting project!
      Sent from a place using a thing

06-08-2015 11:14 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by ChiefWilNel View Post
      since I know nothing about this
      1. is this a new or current version
      2.a complete one is not legal for road use?
      3. I am guessing this will be a "kit" car so you can make it legal?
      4. I like it.
      ok, no answer.
      If you need HIDs to see , then you shouldn't be driving <--sig material

Cars
      12 Golf 2.5, 90 Jetta GLI 16v, 99.5 Cabrio Highline, 92 Golf GL
      06-08-2015 11:27 AM #56
      ok, no answer.
      Ok, he hasn't posted since you posted that originally and it's only been 4 days. Give the guy a break, he's got a van to build

8. Senior Member
      Cars
      KAR 120C
      06-08-2015 11:47 AM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by VDub2625 View Post
      Give the guy a break, he's got a van to build
      ...and more specifically a business to run apart from this project. Paying customers should, and do, get first priority.

Cars
      VW Fox 16v
      06-08-2015 12:31 PM #58
      One step at a time... do it like the factory. Paint, then install subsystems, then the big stuff. Don't forget sound deadening etc. Having access to a completely built one in Europe to make a checklist of parts needed is a great idea too.
      I feel like on somethings this is a perfect opportunity to go wayyyy into tiny details on the build, as it's such a blank canvas. Then I realise how much work just building it to OEM is going to take, and I try to bring my dream back to reality. I've been thinking about (if it gets a turbo ) putting boost tubes through the frame rails for example. It would be super trick, but.. does it need to be that extreme and even more unique??

since I know nothing about this
      1. is this a new or current version
      2.a complete one is not legal for road use?
      3. I am guessing this will be a "kit" car so you can make it legal?
      4. I like it.
      1. They're all the same - the factory only facelifted them. Think blank canvas.
      2. Nope, no how, no way. Not legal to import, hence this project!
      3. Right now it's not even a car, but it it being done 100% above the board and legally. I'll go into detail over the coming month (and months and months) - likely update 2 and, err, number 12 probably, haha.
      4. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hare View Post
      RHD or LHD?
      I'm 99.9% settled on LHD. I enjoy and import quite alot of RHD, but does it really need to be even weirder than it already will be? My thoughts are that it does not

Quote Originally Posted by The Kilted Yaksman View Post
      Take one 3.6l VR6, add DSG, stir in a full measure of 4Motion, sprinkle over it a soupçon of GT35R turbo and voilà!

Quote Originally Posted by benjaminobscene View Post
      Incredibly excited for this project! Since a couple people brought up the idea of passenger vs. cargo, it's my opinion that the van should be a dream vehicle for Orchid Euro as an entity and therefore be a cargo version that's not only capable of carrying rare and unusual parts, but also easily adaptable to carry rare and unusual friends (import and domestic)
      You've been there since day one of the Greenland Polo build. I'm so happy that you're excited about this project, and look forwards to sharing pizza and soda around it

Quote Originally Posted by .BRuno. View Post
      Awesome project!

I did something like this, but with my Renault Clio. Didn't start with a new body in white but with my old one (brazilian market 1.0 base model), disassembled everything down to just the unibody and windows (removed later on the bodyshop), threw away basically all stock parts and imported new OEM RenaultSport or good aftermarket (KW, Brembo, Powerflex, Wössner, CatCams, etc) to make a true pocket rocket.

It's way harder than you can possibly imagine, but also very rewarding. Just in bolts I think I ended up spending around 3k in OEM, ARP, Stainless Steel and uprated 12.9 grade parts. Cars have some weird parts we don't think about normally (and some of them don't even have part numbers stamped), like internal dashboard braces, foam inserts, small inserts to prevent rattles, etc.... I ended up buying 2 new Renaults (that had transportation damage) that have interchangeable parts with the Clio to provide NLA and not-in-the-system parts. Took me 2 years working full time on the car to get to where it's now, 99% finished!

EDIT: a kind of obvious tip: leave the bodywork as the last step. Build everything first, test fit all parts and when the car is basically driveable and "finished", disassemble again to paint.

Looking forward to the next updates!
      Thanks! I think you're spot on about the amount of random bolts and unseen work that goes into these types of projects! Your Clio sounds like fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      Is it done yet?!
      I'm going to do a small update shortly, so, uhh, kinda a little bit?

Quote Originally Posted by JDub8 View Post
      I'm curious here: when you buy a chassis you're buying it straight from the factory right? Do they offer to paint it for you? I would certainly ask for some factory paint if I could. Roughly how much does the chassis cost? How about the cost of importing it?
      I will go into details in a future editorial update, but basically the cost is sadly practically immaterial as the factory will in general absolutely refuse to supply a chassis within a VIN to a private buyer, or even a dealership. I have been told they will pull the dealers franchise if they tried it, as it's such a big deal. There is/was no question of asking for paint etc. I have been networking and bugging people for years trying to do it, and this is the result. I could not repeat it on demand.

Quote Originally Posted by jacekes View Post
      Greetings from Poznan, Poland, the place where the VW Caddy is produced.
      I'm really looking forward to reading this topic, especially to the upcoming part about the importation process.
      Thanks

Ok, he hasn't posted since you posted that originally and it's only been 4 days. Give the guy a break, he's got a van to build
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      ...and more specifically a business to run apart from this project. Paying customers should, and do, get first priority.
      Thanks guys

This is indeed not going to be an overnight story. It's going to be measured in months, not weeks. But, I'm going to keep forum updates coming as often as possible, and the serialised editorial updates hopefully every 3 weeks. If i'm not replying immediately it's because a) I'm busy with life and work b) I missed the question or c) if I answer I'll spoil something else down the line. Maybe I can give a standard response for option c.. perhaps 'that's classified until further notice' or something like that.
      | œ Orchid Euro Importation œ |

Currently driving or working on too many cars...
      | '93 Fox 16v - PVW | '99 Greenland Polo Diesel | '89 Rallye Golf | '83 Golf GTi RHD | '75 Swallowtail |
      | '82 Caddy 1.9D | '85 VW LT Car Transporter | Mk2 Jetta Limo | '90 Jetta 8V | '96 VW LT35D | '03 SpintLT35 | '02 GTI 337 | '03 GTI 20v |
      | '09 Aprilia RS125 | '81 Kawasaki AR80 | '59 NSU Quickly | '64 Honda Cub C65 + '65 C105 | Trek Emonda SLR9 | Trek Crockett 9 |

Cars
      3 Sciroccos, an old MG & VW A4 Bora Variant (my DD)
      06-08-2015 01:36 PM #59
      AWESOME !!!

... looking to future updates on this build thread
      Current :
      02 Bora SW 1.8T (AWP), 88 S2 16v (9A), 80 S1 Storm (EG), 78 S1 (PL 16V), 54 MG TF (XPAG)
      Past :
      04 Seat Leon (1.6 8v), 88 VW S2 16v, 80 VW Caddy (16V), 88 VW S2 16v, 80 Porsche 931 turbo S, 77 VW Rabbit, 56 VW Käfer : personal import from Germany (the 1 that I miss the most)

Cars
      '06 Toyota Van - Beige, '90 Corrado G60 - Diamond Silver, & '82 Rabbit Diesel - The colour of rust
      06-09-2015 07:24 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
      subscribed... because hitting the subscribe button for me doesn't always work
      Wait... There's a subscribe button??

This is going to be excellent!! This is something I've always wanted to do and will never have the finances or resources to complete. I look forward to seeing it unfold
      Quote Originally Posted by petethepug View Post
      If I've just encountered 25 years of Corrado knowledge meeting enthusiastic, civilized interaction on the Vortex, there's a renaissance going on.
      Quote Originally Posted by mateok View Post
      Knowing the Corrado would become angry at me for attempting to fix something so minor and retaliate with a catastrophic failure, I ignored it.
      Quote Originally Posted by mateok View Post
      The Corrado can smell your fear, so you just jinxed yourself.

Cars
      '04 Honda Recon 250ES
      06-09-2015 07:46 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by jaweber View Post
      Wait... There's a subscribe button??

This is going to be excellent!! This is something I've always wanted to do and will never have the finances or resources to complete. I look forward to seeing it unfold

14-24

Quote Originally Posted by welderdood View Post
      What you lack in obsessive compulsions you make up for in debauchery.

Cars
      VW Fox 16v
      06-23-2015 11:48 AM #62
      Hi everyone The next serialised installment has just gone up on the front page of the VWVortex, which can be found here:

Chapter 2: Get in the boat, you're coming with us.. - June 23rd, 2015 / Photo Album Part 2

It covers my visit to Wolfsburg, Germany and goes into some more details of the background. There's also a TON of photos from my visit to the Autostadt and the Volkswagen Museum in the city.

Here's some more commentary, which I didn't have space for in the editorial article..

When I collected the chassis, I was handed a matching new fuel door. It seemed strangely symbolic, and rather bewildering by putting the whole idea back into perspective..

I'd like to make a whole separate thread about the VW Autostadt visit, but I'll likely keep it all in here. Here's the inside of one of the automated car storage towers that are used for vehicles that are being collected directly by the customers..:

I didn't really know what to expect from the weight of it. We quickly knew that it wouldn't be possible to get a forklift to carry the chassis from the rear of it into the container due to space logistics. We got the van off the trailer and paused on moving it further, while I quickly drove off to a junkyard and raided it for every single piece that I thought we could use from a similar Caddy. Of course it was a SWB and we have a LWB (short/long wheel base), so the leaf springs were only able to be bolted up at the front mounts, but hey, it got it rolling like a wheelbarrow which has made life so much easier!

Last edited by the brit; 06-23-2015 at 11:54 AM.

| '93 Fox 16v - PVW | '99 Greenland Polo Diesel | '89 Rallye Golf | '83 Golf GTi RHD | '75 Swallowtail |
      | '82 Caddy 1.9D | '85 VW LT Car Transporter | Mk2 Jetta Limo | '90 Jetta 8V | '96 VW LT35D | '03 SpintLT35 | '02 GTI 337 | '03 GTI 20v |
      | '09 Aprilia RS125 | '81 Kawasaki AR80 | '59 NSU Quickly | '64 Honda Cub C65 + '65 C105 | Trek Emonda SLR9 | Trek Crockett 9 |

14. 06-24-2015 02:05 PM #63
      Drift Car Build! - now with drift car content!

Benny and the jets - Just your average air cooled 911 adventure

Cars
      1967 beetle
      06-25-2015 02:27 AM #65
      OMG! your trip to Germany to the museum is just awesome! jetta coupe, the caddy, b3 Passat...I want them all!
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      You can't expect them to walk to and from school carrying their babies..

06-29-2015 01:39 PM #66
      Interesting!

Cars
      VW Fox 16v
      07-10-2015 11:05 AM #67
      Here's what we've been working on this week (full update to come in next weeks editorial update, but I want to keep the build thread going with a bit more detail..)

We pulled off the suspension that we used for transportation, and I realised that we're going to need a suspension bushing for the very rear mounting point. It's Caddy specific (part number 2K0511171B), and I haven't been able to cross reference it to anything from another vehicle or anything available in the USA. A parts department contact in Europe confirmed that they're available, they're $12 each, and that he has literally never sold one before.

The long wheel base leaf spring that I bought in Europe arrived last week, so we switched everything over from the donor setup to them, and installed it along with some new 19" wheels as a test fit. The rear suspension is going to have to be revisited completely, including big questions like do we keep it leaf spring or go nuts and fabricate a independent rear setup etc, but for now it's on and it'll roll happily.

As the front subframe is the same as a Golf 5/6, we're able to run any of that suspension. In the editorial update I'll go into detail about our visit to the Air Lift factory in Lansing, Michigan, but for now, here's the front strut setup that they have kindly sent out for the project. Their Mk5/6 setup has full camber adjustment, threaded body height adjustment, and of course, air bag pressure adjustment. I already enjoy the ride on my Rallye project, and want to follow a similar mindset on this vehicle - I can drive and park low without having to risk damage to the fenders etc, which on the Caddy Van are going to be especially difficult to fix or replace..

The Mk5 subframe was a direct fit, along with all of the bolts being identical too. The donor hubs were originally slated to be from a European market Golf 5 TDI that I had available, but it turns out that they used a smaller diameter strut and that the caliper carriers are cast with the hub. This would mean no future big brake options, and having to mess around with different struts etc. So, we are running a brand new hub/brake setup instead, which has been amazing to work with as everything is so fresh and so clean.

Mounting the brand new Air Lift strut assemblies up to brand new OEM hubs with brand new dust shields etc has really been an absolute please - maybe building a new car is going to be easier on my knuckles than having to fight with old rusty bolts on my more normal older projects

18. 07-13-2015 12:18 PM #68
      oooooowieeee

Cars
      VW Fox 16v
      07-16-2015 10:15 AM #69
      I got a awesome delivery yesterday from the guys at Fifteen52, just in time for Waterfest! The wheels are the not-yet-released Tarmac R43, with a design collaborated with Ken Block and as seen on his Mustang.

As this is literally the only set outside of the factory right now, I started by taking some photos I think that literally the only photos out there on the interwebs of the wheels in the wild probably have the Caddy Van USA project in the background.

I then worked late into the night getting everything mounted up, and then at about 00:30 this morning got to stand back and check out how awesome the wheels look, and also how the Caddy will look for it's first public outing this coming weekend.

Huge thanks to The Car Lounge's own Brad, and all other others at Fifteen52, for letting us display their beautiful new babies at the show this weekend.

Cars
      2016 HKG Octopus Card
      07-16-2015 10:59 AM #70
      ^^^Love it!!!!!

Cars
      '15 STI & '16 R
      07-16-2015 11:22 AM #71
      The awesome projects that you guys do aside, why is it that every one of these Vortex projects always seems like a rush job to make some car show?

It's like you guys sit around the office and go, "oh ****, something-something-fest is in 4 weeks. What can we start on right now so we can break our backs (and our vendor's backs) and rush something out the door all the while stressing everyone the F out?"

Cars
      VW Fox 16v
      07-16-2015 12:27 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by CanadianTurbo View Post
      ^^^Love it!!!!!
      Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      The awesome projects that you guys do aside, why is it that every one of these Vortex projects always seems like a rush job to make some car show?

It's like you guys sit around the office and go, "oh ****, something-something-fest is in 4 weeks. What can we start on right now so we can break our backs (and our vendor's backs) and rush something out the door all the while stressing everyone the F out?"
      These wheels were a bit of surprise personally to be honest - we have known for months that Fifteen52 was sending us wheels for the show, which I just assumed would be a 'normal' set from stock. Scheduling in a couple of hours to mount tires and put them on the car is no big deal, so we knew there was no issue if they arrived even the day before the show. Once I got the tracking number and realised they were coming straight from the factory I knew something was up, but it wasn't until I opened the box that I realised what the guys had surprised us with

A quick text message later and I knew for sure that what we had was special, and after a quick clarifying conversation I knew that we have literally the only set at all right now. That led to be getting my (very basic) studio lighting out so I could take some (very basic) nice photographs of the wheels, all the while giggling like school girls, if I'm honest, haha.

The rush question.. The easy answer is procrastination, haha. The more feel-better-for-myself answer is that, while I can't speak for anyone else, I personally do have a schedule of sorts of what projects need to be done for when etc. There's also that I'm always running around doing 10 things at once, and only work on projects/update as needed. I have one VW project that needs to be shipped to Europe for a show next March, so it's not even being looked at until the US show season is done.

23. Vortex Ambassador to Canada
      07-16-2015 01:23 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post

Who told?

In all honesty, it's much like Jamie said. We've got so much going on that it's pretty easy to get sidetracked. At times between travel, shows, normal work, we sort of lose track of what day it is. We certainly don't try to do things last minute, but sometimes it just seems that way.

07-17-2015 03:25 AM #74
      Looks like a wheel from a plug-in-hybrid.

25. 07-17-2015 11:38 AM #75
      LOL @ not doing things last minute or having a tight deadline

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast