VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Might need to change my username. (SS content)

47K views 385 replies 121 participants last post by  Pizza Cat 
#1 · (Edited)
So, I bought one. Not in Regal Peacock Green, but that's okay.

500 mile update:

I'm finally at the point where I'm about ready to really start seeing what this bitch can do. First tank was 15 MPG, so I still got on it a little bit :laugh:

Other than saying the car's brakes are by far the best I've had, I can't really comment on it's handling or brute power - also, I haven't autocrossed it yet. I would be an absolute poser if I attempted to comment on things such as handling before the 'real enthusiasts' make their comments.

I can, however, give some thoughts on positives and negatives thus far:

Pros:
- The interior buttons light up when you open the door at night. Not just the dome lights. Really nice touch.
- I always thought it was gimmicky, but I really like using the HUD. It displays all pertinent info - turn signals, speed, tach, outside temp, tailgate warnings, forward collision warnings, nav info, lateral-g meter, and radio info temporarily pops up when a new song begins.
- MyLink is a great system. Phone contacts synch up to it perfectly, and the menus are customizable. The one oddity (not that I really care) is that to use Pandora, I have only been able to use it by physically plugging in the USB cable. That might be user error on my end, though.
- Bluetooth sound quality (for both music and phone calls) is better than my old Golf and current Mazda, for what that's worth.
- You can configure both driver and passenger mirrors to tilt down while in reverse. Not as big of a deal anymore with fancy-pants active parking camera assists, but it's still a nice-to-have.
- The ride quality/lack of sound at highway cruising speeds is very nice. I figured it would be stiffer (not that it would be a big deal), but it's a testament to how good the different mageride settings are between touring/sport/performance.
- The sunroof can be open on it's own, without the 'womp womp' air pressure crap.
- I was able to transfer my lifetime XM subscription from the GTI to the SS. Nothing related to the car, but score one for me :cool:

Cons:
- When you have a sunroof, the sunglasses holder is deleted.
- No homelink is kind of odd. The car has all sorts of fancy parking assist, collision mitigation, etc. but doesn't have this. Not a big deal for me, but just found that to be odd.
- I think I need to figure out the climate control a little more. Seems to be either hot or cold. One area where the GTI's dual-zone was much better...so far. Again, hopefully it's just user error.
- The sunroof is auto open, but manual close.
- I don't know if I'll ever get used to an electric parking brake, but whatever.
- Excessive chrome. But that's being taken care of.

All in all, I don't have any driveability complains, and that's all that really matters. The car feels solid, no random rattles on a cold morning (my Mazda and previous VWs rattle/d like sin even from new), and my 'Cons' so far are all minor.

I have already installed the black side vents, and it makes a big difference. I'm thinking that if I take care of the chrome on the fog/drl bezels, that will be good enough for now. I don't mind some chrome.

Couple more pics:

Here's the new trim. I think it helps quite a bit:

Favorite spot of mine:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was funny, first song on XM while setting up the OnStar with the sales girl.

Anyway, if you've got any particular questions, ask away. Needless to say so far, calling it impressive would be a massive understatement. I'll post more pictures and an actual review tomorrow.

Edit for some crappy iPhone pics:

I believe I have all covered - stitching, dash squishy-ness, legroom request, gages (TM), nice details, boring engine cover, correct trunk hinges (which as we know, decide whether a vehicle is of poor quality or not), an actual air vent on the rear window, and so on and so forth. Oh, and the car is already filthy because last Friday night, I couldn't help myself but drive it during a rain storm.

In these two, I tried to show how much leg and head room I have. Basically, four six footers can sit very, very comfortably in the car.

See less See more
#5 ·
I may be missing it (reread the thread three times) but I do not see your transmission choice posted :D.

#6 ·

#10 ·
I love it!

Is there a way to not get all the chrome? I would love to see one, in this color, tinted with some sort of blacked out trimmed. :cool:

#20 ·
Taking the big ole V8 out of the equation? It handedly mops the floor with the Mazda.

Don't get me wrong, I love our Mazda - it's an excellent family sedan. It makes a FWD family sedan an interesting place to be, but the SS's dynamics and braking are in another stratosphere. It definitely doesn't feel like a 4000lb car, that's for sure.

#24 ·
Yep, I believe I can even be quoted as directly saying "if this comes in manual I will buy it" last year. :laugh:

I'm just still in shock that I have it, honestly. I'll really wring it out once I have a couple hundred miles on it, but just punching it a couple times in third gear is a pretty intoxicating thing to do. The exhaust is quiet at highway cruising speeds, and has a nice (but not obnoxious) burble when decelerating.

Ergonomics is a tricky question. It's 'different'. I'm used to VW layouts, and the Mazda has a definite German feel in terms of ergonomics, so I'm just still trying to learn my way through all the new buttons. Everything is within reach, everything is backlit, and all has a quality feel. I do wish it had a real handbrake, but everyone is dropping those now.

#48 ·
I immediately thought of Patrice O'Neal when I saw this:

What's with all the malibus in tcl now?
:laugh:
They had it out of the showroom ready for me when I got there yesterday, and of course it was parked right next to an Impala. Should have taken a pic of it.

My jealousy is showing. Nice purple people eater.

As always, thanks for getting back to my questions. Again, beers are on me.

Is that an Egg Bagel??!!!!??? If so, I'm jealous!! Nice find. I hope you're not going to ruin it with one of those silly flavored cream cheeses.

Oh, and the car is nice too.

I guess.

;)
Yessir. It's an egg - but you can't get a decent bagels down here in VA. It's in the toaster oven as we speak, I will be putting a little Neufchatel on it. Nom.

I demand that you get a personalized license plate: "NURPLE"
I have a good one in mind, I'm not sure if I want to go vehcile-specific again. I had one for a while on the GTI, but got tired of it. Good thing, too - having 'A WABBIT' on the Chevy would look pretty silly at the moment.

That's awesome! Congrats on picking it up: I know you've been posting about it for a while.

If you're ever in Fairfax and have some time to kill, I'd love to check it out in person.
Going to have to keep an eye out for you around town, if some random guy in a while Audi waves at you it's me. Congratulations on the new car :)
I'm down in West Springfield. There are a few of us TCL guys that go to Katie's Cars and Coffee. I believe I will be required to bring it there now. Not tomorrow, but probably next Saturday.

you need to update your sig
nice purchase
also: dibs
The girl that sold me the car asked first. The dealership is very small, so they only got one SS last year, and I took their only one this year.

congrats! how soon till some power adders make their way onto there?
Um...about that. :laugh: I know I said this with the last car I bought new for myself, but I will wait until the powertrain warranty is up before I cross that bridge.

Frickin' sweet ride man. I'd have a tough time deciding between Alchemy Purple and Peacock Green. Can't wait to see more pics! :beer::beer::beer::beer:
Yep, they're both awesome in person. If Regal wasn't available, Purple would have been far and away my first choice, that's why I decided to just go for it...since I have no idea when the other one would even arrive.

Nice. :thumbup:

Be sure to get aggressive with engine speed/load, progressively, ;) when breaking those rings in...it's not something you can go back and do over cheaply if caught "doing it wrong". :p

:D
Yes...'progressively'...

#23 ·
Congratulations! Definitely a great choice! I'd be willing to bet that your color/transmission combo is probably single digits production wise in North America. :beer::thumbup:

#26 ·
If the posting salesman from SS forums is to be believed, I have the third Purple/6MT in the country. Three more may be in transit. The Regal Peacock was just as rare.

It's looking like only about 250 in total for MY 15 will be manuals. Numbers-wise, this could end up being even less plentiful than the 6MT GXP. I wanted to wait and see when that green with the sunroof came in, but the dealership I dealt with out in the sticks was actually pretty great. Don't think I'll have any regrets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.