Fourtitude.com - I'm a glutton for punishment.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
      Cars
      1976 Scirocco, 1997 Land Rover Discovery, 2016 e-Golf
      02-10-2015 12:37 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by mikegilbert View Post
      I've owned this truck for 9 days and I filled her up for the third time today. My "lifetime" average with her is 12.4mpg.
      Welcome to the crappy gas mileage club. I get about 12, on the freeway when going to and from trips. Around town? About 10 ish. All the extra bolt on crap doesn't help - sliders, winch, bumper, skid plates, roof rack, 12V fridge, bigger than stock tires, etc.. It all adds up..
      You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter

2. Remove Advertisements
      Fourtitude.com
      Advertisements
      Cars
      91 318iS, 03 Forester
      02-10-2015 01:04 PM #77
      Congrats. Always loved these old trucks but the dismal MPG has kept me away since I'm a habitual commuter. Can't wait to see what you do with this one.
      Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Well, then, I'm here to "ruin" the vortex for you. I'm sorry you hate fun.
      91 318is M50 Swapped
      03 Forester

Cars
      328D / TDI / LWB
      02-11-2015 11:37 PM #78
      When I picked the truck up, only the two front speakers worked, which sounded as good as a U-haul rental truck. Also the CD changer was missing, which limited my choice of music to an old Bjork tape and the local Top-40 radio. After carefully poking around the dash, I discovered the door speakers were disconnected. Once they were plugged in, the sound improved quite a bit, but as you know, Taylor Swift must be heard in full fidelity. It's hard to fully comprehend her angst without proper acoustics. After confirming the rear "Omega" brand speakers were shot, I noticed the factory subwoofer was missing and the Harmon Kardon amp was flopping around unsecured.

I set out to my new favorite junkyard to get some new pieces to hopefully get things working again. As I turned the corner to my go-to 95 LWB parts car, I spot the golden child - a used, but decent looking sub with amp. The truck also had both factory rear speakers. After $45 and 30 minutes of my time, I was set. I installed everything last night and it all works and sounds fantastic.

Now I need to find a new factory-looking headunit, which has 4-channel pre-amp outputs. My two top choices are the Blaupunkt New York RDM127, the Becker Traffic Pro (was used as the OEM Navi in the Freelander and Disco II) or the Becker Indianapolis. They're all available with AUX input and matching backlighting.

A bearded oaf Range Rover owner in his natural habitat salvaging rare parts.

The sub in the parts truck:

A fine reward for a successful parts run. Not sure if it's being parted, or if it's the owners personal truck. I completely forgot to ask.

After getting everything installed, it was time for a slow run up the canyon.

PM Travy℠ |flickr | mikegilbertphotography.com | Everything you need to know | » | Scratch-It™ | Vimeo
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Great, a Chevy Lumina thread. Now I'm going to have an erection lasting more than four hours.
      #FREEPATRICKMAN

5. 02-12-2015 11:41 PM #79
      Saw this on BAT and thought of this thread
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/191504874884?rmvSB=true

Your luck continues with the thing. 👍👏

Cars
      02-13-2015 03:02 AM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by Dcups View Post

Shows you how small the world is. I know the guy that is selling the white two door on eBay. He's a member of the norcal club and he's got a white lwb 95 as well and a few other cars. He's selling this one due to lack of parking places at his house in Frisco.
      Last edited by psykokid; 02-13-2015 at 06:46 PM.

7. Member
      Cars
      Evo VIII, BMW e12
      02-13-2015 10:20 AM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by Dcups View Post

If only I won the Powerball

8. 02-13-2015 06:10 PM #82
      Range Rovers of this vintage always looks weird when clean to me, OP get her dirty.

Cars
      2017 Cruze Hatch
      02-13-2015 06:44 PM #83
      Having been a frequent user of a Freelander HSE (we called it the Frontloader) with the Becker Traffic Pro, I'd advise you to find something else... ANYTHING else... instead of that horrible hateful HU.

It was awful for producing any sort of music (is Taylor Swift even music? ), and even a worse GPS/Nav unit. Avoid, unless you can get it for free or be paid to take it.

Cars
      1972 Condor II Autocross Spec with Dan in the passenger seat
      02-15-2015 09:19 PM #84
      Annnnddd the SNL 40th Californians skit describing all the roads they take reminded me of this thread.
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

Cars
      328D / TDI / LWB
      02-18-2015 03:20 AM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Annnnddd the SNL 40th Californians skit describing all the roads they take reminded me of this thread.
      And you just reminded me of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by WRXGuy View Post
      Having been a frequent user of a Freelander HSE (we called it the Frontloader) with the Becker Traffic Pro, I'd advise you to find something else... ANYTHING else... instead of that horrible hateful HU.

It was awful for producing any sort of music (is Taylor Swift even music? ), and even a worse GPS/Nav unit. Avoid, unless you can get it for free or be paid to take it.

Hell, I definitely don't listen to her. She's easy on the eyes though. I was just lamenting my being relegated to top-40 radio with the lack of CD changer.

Good to know. I'll avoid that at all costs.

Quote Originally Posted by blacksand View Post
      Range Rovers of this vintage always looks weird when clean to me, OP get her dirty.
      Drove it up in the Santa Monica mountains yesterday.

Last edited by mikegilbert; 02-21-2015 at 05:40 PM.
      PM Travy℠ |flickr | mikegilbertphotography.com | Everything you need to know | » | Scratch-It™ | Vimeo
      Great, a Chevy Lumina thread. Now I'm going to have an erection lasting more than four hours.
      #FREEPATRICKMAN

Cars
      328D / TDI / LWB
      02-18-2015 04:30 AM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      Oh man. A soft-dash LWB.

Only RR Classic I've ever wanted to own. Because I'm a masochist, though, I'd want it riding on air so I'd reinstall it.

Very, very nice purchase Mike. I'd leave the interior color but that's just me.
      Thanks, man! I've got one car on air at the moment and while it'd be nice to get the EAS working again, it'll cost me about what I paid for the truck.
      #FREEPATRICKMAN

Cars
      02-18-2015 05:29 AM #87
      If you have time you should head out and christen her in the desert A friend of mine is leading a trip that is pretty mellow on the 28th with camping overnight and then heading back to civilization on Sunday. I wanted to go but I have my son's last pinewood derby and a wedding on the 28th. http://sclr.org/calendar/month-view/...ail-amy-s-wash

Cars
      '12 Focus SE, '15 Outback Limited
      02-18-2015 07:01 AM #88
      Nice purchase. Not a fan of the 95 or LWB in general, but love the RRC. How tall are you?

Quote Originally Posted by TDIBUGMAN View Post
      Do not ever let yours look like this. Keep it as clean as possible. These rust while you watch them.

Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      yeah, here are they are. cheap ikea frames and some generic grey backing.
      I have a bunch of Triumph, AH, and MG ads hanging exactly like this. Old ads are fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      Well that saddens me to hear about the windshield availablity, When I had mine 7 years ago, they were still very available (I had mine replaced by Safelite and it was a heated unit).

Shoulda kept it and made more money. lol!
      The windscreen is '95 only. '94 and earlier will not fit. When they went to the Disco dash in 95, they changed up the frame.

Values for a clean RRCs are shooting up big time, with LWB and 95s leading the way. You cannot beat that timeless shape. It is honestly one of the only vehicles I can think of that looks up to date and at home anywhere. I absolutely adore them.

Cars
      mk5/ap1
      02-18-2015 09:45 AM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by thegoose View Post
      Jawsome!

Cars
      328D / TDI / LWB
      03-09-2015 12:09 AM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by psykokid View Post
      If you have time you should head out and christen her in the desert A friend of mine is leading a trip that is pretty mellow on the 28th with camping overnight and then heading back to civilization on Sunday. I wanted to go but I have my son's last pinewood derby and a wedding on the 28th. http://sclr.org/calendar/month-view/...ail-amy-s-wash
      I generally work weekends, but I'm definitely down to take her out there. Need to find a good local mechanic to give her a once-over before taking it out. I'm headed out to Death Valley tomorrow for a film shoot. The location is 50 miles from the nearest paved road, so the Rover would be perfect. I just don't feel comfortable getting that far from civilization without a clean bill of health first.

Quote Originally Posted by MCTB View Post
      Nice purchase. Not a fan of the 95 or LWB in general, but love the RRC. How tall are you?

Do not ever let yours look like this. Keep it as clean as possible. These rust while you watch them.

I have a bunch of Triumph, AH, and MG ads hanging exactly like this. Old ads are fantastic.

The windscreen is '95 only. '94 and earlier will not fit. When they went to the Disco dash in 95, they changed up the frame.

Values for a clean RRCs are shooting up big time, with LWB and 95s leading the way. You cannot beat that timeless shape. It is honestly one of the only vehicles I can think of that looks up to date and at home anywhere. I absolutely adore them.

I'm 5'11" and my hair will touch the the headliner on occasion. I haven't played around with the seat controls too much as I don't want the seat ECU failing when I'm adjusting them. Need to change out that 3.6V battery before I do.

Since I don't need a heated windshield and those little wires are rather distracting at night or while driving into the sun, a regular Disco 1 windshield is a direct fit.

Haven't done much lately. I did install the ROW-spec side repeaters for the turn signals.

And a good friend of mine hooked me up with this plate frame:

#FREEPATRICKMAN

17. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Cars
      german and british
      03-09-2015 11:01 AM #91
      perfect plate frame.

wrong generation but close enough

Cars
      328D / TDI / LWB
      05-07-2015 01:10 AM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      wrong generation but close enough
      Duuuude! I'm totally going to replicate that one!

It's been a nice three months with the truck. Been battling some mild temperature fluctuations and an annoying squeak from the engine bay, so I decided to get her checked out.

As I pulled into my new favorite shop, I overheated and found a puddle of coolant and oil underneath. Luckily it was the valley pan gasket.

The mechanic worked on this truck years ago, so he was very familiar with it. Said the previous owner paid a small fortune to have the engine rebuilt back in 2012.

Managed to do some urban "softroading" last month.

One of the coolest unpaved singletrack urban roads in LA.

#FREEPATRICKMAN

Cars
      2015 F30 BMW 328i
      05-07-2015 01:35 AM #93
      I'm slightly jealous. Awesome car
      Past: 1999.5 MKIV GTI, 2004 Audi S4, 2009 MKV Jetta, 2009 MKV Golf, 2007 B7 Audi A4

Quote Originally Posted by Roketdriver View Post
      Toyota is kind of like the Black Eyed Peas. The majority of their product line is cars for people who don't like cars.

Cars
      05-07-2015 03:22 AM #94
      Lol.. I know right where the shots on the hill were taken. I know a guy who used to live a few blocks away from there whose fish tank I used to take care of.

Cars
      '04 Dodge Ram 5.7 4x4 / '90 VW Golf Mk2 1.3
      05-07-2015 06:39 AM #95
      That's a badass purchase.

Ever since I got to drive my buddies P38A Range Rover last year when he asked me to take some photos of it for a for sale ad, I've been lusting after a Range of my own... some day.

I wish you all the best for yours!
      www.tiefundbreit.com - The blog about German car culture and all things low and wide.
      '04 Dodge Ram 5.7 4x4 Quadcab - the daily
      '90 VW Golf Mk2 1.3 - the project that's being restored and slightly modded

05-07-2015 07:11 AM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      It's actually not too bad to deal with anymore, what with inexpensive bags from Arnott and rebuilt controllers and even the M.A.R.S. kit for dealing with emergencies when out on the road.
      Really? I checked the Arnott website and they list nothing for the RRC. I'm curious about the ECAS too.

23. Member
      Cars
      Evo VIII, BMW e12
      05-07-2015 10:14 AM #97
      Said the previous owner paid a small fortune to have the engine rebuilt back in 2012.

And in typical LR fashion, it's broken already.

Awesome rig though

Cars
      '13 BMW 750i, '16 Mazda Miata, '13 Viper GTS
      05-07-2015 10:27 AM #98
      Badass thread, Rover looks squeaky clean, keep tinkering with it!

Cars
      '12 Focus SE, '15 Outback Limited
      05-07-2015 10:29 AM #99

I have always been curious about this: Can anyone drive their car into that area?

Cars
      '01 BMW 740i Sport, '05 330ci ZHP, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      05-07-2015 10:46 AM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by JTuhkanen View Post
      Really? I checked the Arnott website and they list nothing for the RRC. I'm curious about the ECAS too.
      yeah, looks like they recently discontinued it. But they are still available from Atlantic British for $89 per corner:

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/NTC9819BL

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/NTC9820BL

Or the complete assemblies (you really don't need the aluminum parts, but they are in this assembly):

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/NTC9819

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/NTC9820
      "Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection"

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast