VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Get Out Of My Dreams, Get Into My Daihatsu

65K views 495 replies 143 participants last post by  Cabin Pics 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey hey you you! Get into my Daihatsu Rocky!

Yeah, I bought one.

Full disclosure: I haven't picked it up yet, I don't have a trailer available until Tuesday.

1990 SE with 24,000 original miles, out of Butler TN. This is the ultra-desirable model with the factory carpet delete :p and optional chrome front bull bar (Which is basically unobtanium now). Paid $1900. Bought sight unseen.

Runs and drives good but owner says he hasn't taken it on the highway in a long time and knows that at least one tire needs balancing. So rather than risk having any issues on the 8 hour drive to Cleveland, I'm just going to trailer it back.

No rust.
Interior is perfect thanks to seat covers (don't mind the mud splatter).
Paint is 8/10 but there is some clearcoat peeling on the arches so at this point I think I'm gonna just repaint the whole thing. The sweet 90's graphics are cool but unsalvagable so they'll have to go. At which point they'll leave an imprint of where they were which will be hard to get rid of. Repaint will be cheaper than painstaking hours of paint correction. And you can't correct that clearcoat peel anyways.

First order of business will be to take it straight to my detailer (Owner carried his dogs around in it ugh). Followed by my mechanic for a full checkup. I'm sure it needs something.

Can't wait for spring. Take off the top, pop in an Amy Grant cassette, and cruise :cool:

See less See more
#4 ·
Wait.. so the bare metal floor was a cost extra option? :confused:

Remind me to never ever ever ask you for a ride.
I should have phrased that better. Carpet was an option on the use, standard on the sx. But pretty much every se ordered by dealers had the carpet option, because they knew you couldn't sell a car in America in 1990 without carpet. But there were some se's like this one which never got that option ticked. So its pretty unusual.

#8 ·
Yeah that's the cheapo route - buff the paint, bedliner the flares to hid the clearcoat peel, and call it good. But this is a priceless relic so I'm hesitate to "cheap out".

Yes the wheels 100% have to go. Unfortunately the owner no longer has the original chrome steelies (other than the spare) so I'm going to have to think of something else.

#16 ·
I have the strangest boner right now for that thing. So much 90's excellence.

About ten years ago my family had a Rocky in the Cayman Islands and that thing was a riot to roll around in, rust and all. (Although that was a LWB version, as the short ones were called Ferozas.) So much character and slow as a turtle with a broken leg.

Anyways, now all I can see is Emmett rolling to a volleyball game this summer bumping this tune. :laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.