VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Selling My S2k :( What Next? <= $30k, 4 Doors, Manual, No FWD...Preferably w/Warranty

10K views 93 replies 43 participants last post by  300_munkeys 
#1 ·
Just as the title says. I am going to sell my s2k some time in the next 6 months (baby on the way). I see 2 schools of though - sell it ASAP, with lower mileage (about 67k right now, 2005 model) and get my next car before winter starts so the poor s2000 doesn't have to go through another winter.

Or, wait until spring and hopefully the car will sell for a bit more and buy my next car.

Going through the list of possible cars, I have my sights pretty much set on the MKVI Golf R. I can't find anything else which ticks all the boxes as well as this car. I can get some with <20k miles and lots of warranty left for about $30k.

The other car I am considering is the WRX, but I just don't like how it looks and I'm not a big fan of the interior either. If I am going to give up on the s2k raw feel, rwd, and drop top, I would like an interior that I enjoy sitting in with the latest amenities. I test drove a WRX (2009 I think) and I found the shifter to be sloppy, esp compared to the s2k.

I test drove a golf R maybe a year ago and was a bit underwhelmed. However I plan on flashing to at least stage 1 and getting an HPA controller to get a bit more fun out of it.

Any cars I am overlooking? I had a MK6 GTI before the s2000 so I am familiar with them but I am over having a FWD. I've had FWD and multiple RWD I kind of want to try having an AWD car for a change.

Two more quick notes - my wife is likely buying the new MKVII Golf R when it comes out. So we would have 2 of them at home...fun :) If I wait until that time, it is likely the mkvi will depreciate a bit more, but I'm not sure if that would offset driving my s2k for another 6k+ miles. Or if it's worth it.

The other thing is, I don't really want a badge. I'm not against them, and if you suggest the perfect car I'm all for it, but I want to maximize value. I do prefer a warranty and a car which holds its value well bc I will have this car for maybe a couple of years and then I will get a company car - at that time I'll sell this car and buy a fun car again as my second/toy car.

Due to location and timing, I can't justify having 2 cars right now as much as I'd like to :(

Recap:

- <$30k
- Manual
- 4 doors
- FUN!
- Warranty preferred
- Holds value well
- No FWD

Thanks!

See less See more
#11 ·
You're buying a car for more than for a backseat.

Babies need lots of stuff that you're going to lug around.

You may be shortchanging yourself with the Golf or WRX. Not saying it can't be done but you have another option.

Keep the S2K and buy a used minivan/SUV/CUV/wagon for the extra money you'd spend on a Golf R ($10,000-15,000).

#17 ·
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

As mentioned, I'd be going for a ~ $10k minivan or SUV instead of giving up the S2k.

Since that's not an offered option: 3 Series. CPO CTS? (I assume an ATS would be too small for a kid), G37 sedan? for RWD.

A4? Though they depreciate like a cinder block.

Tough parameters. Can an RDX be had with a man pedal? Are there any tunes available for it? Could be interesting.

Tough parameters. Good luck! Congrats on the kid!

edit: I hated my Subaru ownership experience alongside having my S2000. I highly doubt that I'll be back.

#21 · (Edited)
My guess is none of you recommending the evo x have owned one while having a newborn. It is def possible to do however the trunk is basically non existent, and if you are unwilling to use a latch hook from each side of the car (manufacturers and baby seat manufacturers tend to feel the seat should only use a set of latches from 1 side of the car) fitting a car seat will be tough. The seats on an evo x are large and the rear seat leg room is not large. As for the non existent trunk due to washer fluid and battery...not much will fit IF you can get your stroller in.

If you just need the car for picking up from day care and you have a separate car (wifes, sig other) to use for traveling the evo will accomplish what you seek. If no other car in family...look elsewhere.

If i was somewhere that i could use a rwd car year round i would be all over a 335i 4 door with the sport package. I don't know if it will be much larger rear seat wise but atleast it has a trunk you can fit something in.

Would you be willing to look a little older and get a 3rd party warranty? E60 m5

The golf r doesnt seem like a terrible option to me either.

Also remember that as soon as your child goes front facing the rear seat leg room doesnt become as much of a factor...but that is atleast a year rear facing if you dont follow recommendations and 2 if you do...or somewhere in between

#23 · (Edited)
B8 S4
E90 335
Golf R if you want something new but it won't be as fast or powerful as the two above.

After owning a straight 6 TT I would never think about owning a turbo 4 cylinder car, the power delivery of a blown 6 makes you realize 4 cylinders pretty much suck...
but the Golf R has my attention. It's a nice car and isn't the upcoming one as fast or faster than its Japanese competitors anyway?

About the Subaru, the WRX just doesn't offer the performance to justify its lack of refinement. Despite the fanboys saying otherwise, any metric of true speeds and they are good but not great. With the Golf, at least you are getting a more grown up car that will be more comfortable and refined for your family. Especially coming from an S2000, yes the WRX will feel soft, a little sloppy, and yet fail at delivering the refinement of the other 3 options mentioned above.

I prefer the smoothness of the BMW Inline 3.0 TT and the overall feel of the car, but if you went B8 S4 I wouldn't blame you. Both are rockets. Audi a little faster stock, BMW faster with a tune and a few bolt-ons.

I owned an S2000, and driven most of the cars in this thread so I am speaking from experience.

I would get a 2009 335 if I was buying now, they are several improvements that make it a more reliable car such as different fuel injectors, fuel pump and other misc items that were issues on the original N54. If you choose N55 you're even more out of the woods with reliability. The whole 335i reliability topic is overblown at this point anyway.

#30 ·
e90
CTS-V
ATS 2.0 turbo

Just buy 4 blizzaks and a LSD:thumbup:

#33 ·
I considered the cts v but second gen aren't in my price range yet. 1st gen are nice but I'd rather get something different and newer.

How's the reliability of b8 s4? Worth checking out. Resale value? They're a little ubiquitous which makes me lean toward the r again.

I totally agree with the comments above about the wrx...the performance isn't good enough to justify the sloppiness and cheap interior. I feel similarly about the evo in terms of looks. I'd rather sacrifice performance for a more grown up, refined car.

I may have mentioned it but worth noting again: this car will basically be a stop gap for two years or so until I get a company car. So I'd like something that will hold as much value as possible bc in two years I'll be selling and looking for a fun/weekend car to replace it.

#34 ·
I dunno why, but my tuned 335i felt faster to me than the LSA CTS-V. I'm guessing it has something to do with the quieter cabin and added weight. I've only been in a coupe, but that was enough for me to scratch it off the list at the time. Numbers don't lie, so I know it's a beast, but I just didn't feel those #s in my butt dyno. I realize I just typed "in my butt."

#35 ·
Criteria screams '15 WRX. If I remember right, the '15 has a new 6MT where any '09-14 non-STi you drove would have had a 5MT.

You get the resale retention that way too. The problem with some of the luxury options like E90 M3 or CTS-V is that to get in that price range and depth of depreciation curve, you're at higher age/mileage and out of warranty. G8 GXP is an interesting choice, but the few made are all over 5 years old now.

#65 ·
The resale on WRX is so staggeringly high (like Wranglers, etc..) that you aren't losing much. Honestly the 15' WRX is a outstanding affordable car, and the middle trim is under 30k new, still giving you heated seats and a sunroof. Toss a roof rack on it and you can carry in a cargo pod anything extra you need.

#39 · (Edited)
Tell me about it!

That would indeed be perfect. That was my attainable dream car when I was graduating college and first heard about it....then I found out auto only.

I had no idea the wrx has been out for so long. That's crazy that I couldn't find any. I'll do a broader search.

Edit: I found a couple doing a broader search. Regular wrx limited are being offered for $37k+. Lol no thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.