VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

S3 Pricing

57K views 376 replies 60 participants last post by  Zorro83 
#1 ·
Saw the dealer card yesterday, Premium + will be $41,100 and Prestige will be $47,000. The A3 pricing on the card matches exactly what they have posted on the website, so I believe it's accurate.

#190 ·
This was the case when the car was briefly up on Audi Canada's website a couple months ago.

My guess is that a Premium trim S3 would create an extremely odd pricing situation. I'm already surprised to see overlap in price between the A3 and S3 lineups, even if its only a few hundred dollars. This isn't the case with the A4 and S4, or any of the other A# and S# siblings in the Audi lineup.

#198 ·
A dealer contact of ours (I won't reveal who) reached out to me today about this story. I've updated the story linked above to reflect this. He said a few things.

1) He confirmed pricing.

2) He confirmed Premium Plus and Prestige only, and that's already been astutely pointed out above that there's precedent for this in other S-cars.

3) The US engine will NOT feature dual injection as seen with the Euro model. As a result, the EPA hasn't yet given finalized hp and consumption figures and thus their absence from that table. Also, he suggested the US-spec engine will be about 280 hp due to the differences.

#203 · (Edited)
Might have to cross the S3 off my list. I can understand why some features such as the automated parking got cut for safety or regulatory reasons, but why would they get rid of dual injection? The whole point of it is to allow for the benefits of direct and port injection. I can't see any kind of reason, emissions or otherwise, to cut this feature.

So now depending on which way they go, we get to deal with an even bigger drop in power, decreased fuel efficiency, or the terrible carbon build-up that plagued many 2.0ts (including my own).

If Audi wants to appear like the US market is important to them, they need to not gimp the car before it even makes it into the dealerships. I don't even see how the S3 could possibly be rated at the same 0-60 as the euro-spec cars with the power and engine technology downgrades.

#210 ·
The cars available to the journalist groups in Monaco in November were European-spec S3s, weren't they? I wonder how much less favorable their opinions would be had they been given gimpy US cars.

#216 · (Edited)
I dunno, guys... I keep having a certain word come to mind as I think more about this.

Compromise.

... but that's just not possible. This car is uncompromised luxury.

I'm confused, guys. :confused:

/s

I'll continue to regard this as just a rumor until confirmed otherwise. I know George is fairly confident in his source, but I'm not going to admit defeat yet.

I am a bit rattled, though, if we're being honest. Their excuse for excluding this advancement in technology had better be damn good. Direct injection wasn't ready for prime time when they released it a decade ago, and it's still not a sound idea, IMO, without part-time indirect injection.

#230 ·
It's making me lean towards.. maybe an A5 or even an S5. Still have the issues with direct injection, my biggest concern is how well the S5 would hold up to me putting 25k miles on it a year for 3 or 4 years. I've never really ever considered a BMW.. but the 228i looks particularly interesting. It's decently quick through the 1/4, RWD, and seemingly will get better MPG than my MK6 GTI.. I don't know! I really had high hopes for the S3. :(

#233 ·
I am pretty disappointed in the lack of dual injection, it would of allowed more performance upgrades without having to modify the expensive HPFP/Injectors. I really think the carbon buildup issue has been completely overblown on the forums, I was looking forward to it being a non issue with dual injection though.

#234 ·
Been following from afar...

The link below is the VW release for the Golf R, specifically for the North American Auto Show and referencing the NA market.

"The Golf R model’s EA888 series engine has innovative engineering solutions such as water-cooled exhaust gas channels running through the cylinder head to the turbocharger (to help efficiently reduce full-load fuel consumption) and a dual injection system with direct and multi-port injection".

I'd think if the R has it, the S3 will.

http://media.vw.com/release/599/

#236 ·
Been following from afar...

The link below is the VW release for the Golf R, specifically for the North American Auto Show and referencing the NA market.

"The Golf R model’s EA888 series engine has innovative engineering solutions such as water-cooled exhaust gas channels running through the cylinder head to the turbocharger (to help efficiently reduce full-load fuel consumption) and a dual injection system with direct and multi-port injection".

I'd think if the R has it, the S3 will.

http://media.vw.com/release/599/
I agree. I'll remain skeptical of the information from George's source for now.

#242 ·
I just posted this comment on the Golf R forum.

Just looked back at VW's official U.S. Golf R announcement. http://media.vw.com/release/599/

Here's an excerpt:

The Golf R model’s EA888 series engine has innovative engineering solutions such as water-cooled exhaust gas channels running through the cylinder head to the turbocharger (to help efficiently reduce full-load fuel consumption) and a dual injection system with direct and multi-port injection. Thanks to its new fully-electronic coolant control system, the Golf R TSI engine has much more efficient thermal management with a reduced warm-up phase that reduces frictional losses and fuel consumption.
Seems like the Golf R is coming with MPI. Would seem strange for the S3 not to come with it..

#254 ·
From the start to present time on this whole A3/S3 sedan from just reading some of the threads, what started out as greatness is now turning into dissapointment for certain audiences with the little information trickling down. It does suck though how our old laws hamper our market to recieve all the products in a car manufactures line up. You guys would have a field day if you ever get a chance to cross the pond and see everything on the road over here.

#259 · (Edited)
a guy from voa, just told me that he knows for a fact, the new golf r will not have dual injection.
This is completely what I expect to hear en route to final validation of the S3 not having it.

I'm going to again play the optimist and say that we may consider ourselves fortunate, at some time down the road, that we don't have the added complexity of MPI. It's still too new in Europe to know the long-term drawbacks, no? At least we know what we're up against with direct injection.

<shrug>

I can go through life looking for reasons to elevate my blood pressure, or I can look for the positive in all things. But let's not be hasty; there's no way I'll be an eternal optimist. Those guys are just disconnected from reality.

:laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.