Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Fourtitude.com


    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 43
    1. 05-31-2013 12:29 AM #1
      This engine will be super cool in the new Corvette. Screw the low hood line
      Extend the redline to get 450hp will be in the ATS-V.

      http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/news/...-in-gm-history


    2. 05-31-2013 01:29 AM #2
      I want anice tewin turbo LT1 in my Vee

    3. Member IridiumB6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 29th, 2010
      Location
      Toronto, Canada
      Posts
      2,157
      Cars
      2014 Rogue SL, 2008 XC90 3.2
      05-31-2013 01:55 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Impeccable View Post
      I want anice tewin turbo LT1 in my Vee
      how about you start with a dictionary and some books

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 10th, 2008
      Location
      Hollywood, CA
      Posts
      3,679
      Cars
      2006 Gallardo Spyder, 2001 Miata LS, 2006 Corvette-Sold, 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (RIP)
      05-31-2013 02:06 AM #4
      Why would anyone want this engine in the Corvette? I guess if you wanted to mod it would be easy to jack up the boost, but stock for stock the LT1 is more powerful, torquier, probably sounds better and is likely lighter with better real-world fuel economy too
      "When you need to get somewhere quickly, I'd rather get there the fastest I can, looking the best I can"-Rutledge Wood

    5. Banned 20aeman's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 7th, 2006
      Posts
      9,250
      Cars
      ///M Roadster
      05-31-2013 02:46 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by thetopdog View Post
      Why would anyone want this engine in the Corvette? I guess if you wanted to mod it would be easy to jack up the boost, but stock for stock the LT1 is more powerful, torquier, probably sounds better and is likely lighter with better real-world fuel economy too
      It'll also have better response (no turbo lag), and will make a more consistent sports car motor since there aren't turbos that jack up the oil and air inlet temps.

      The only reason they even went with the TT V6 on the ATS-V is to play "me too" with the Europeans. The demographic that shops M3, RS4, etc are a bunch of ignorant Euro morons. They think the LT1 is the same small block that Chevy sold in a 57 Bel Air.

      There is no car that would be better off with the TT V6 over the LT1. Unfortunately, people's perceptions are why the TT V6 exist in the first place.

    6. 05-31-2013 03:28 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      It'll also have better response (no turbo lag), and will make a more consistent sports car motor since there aren't turbos that jack up the oil and air inlet temps.

      The only reason they even went with the TT V6 on the ATS-V is to play "me too" with the Europeans. The demographic that shops M3, RS4, etc are a bunch of ignorant Euro morons. They think the LT1 is the same small block that Chevy sold in a 57 Bel Air.

      There is no car that would be better off with the TT V6 over the LT1. Unfortunately, people's perceptions are why the TT V6 exist in the first place.
      Yes, that's exactly why they built the TT V6. To go "me too".

      Sent from Ecto1

    7. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 17th, 2006
      Location
      NoVA, USA
      Posts
      523
      05-31-2013 07:07 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      The demographic that shops M3, RS4, etc are a bunch of ignorant Euro morons.
      Yeah. Don't let reality get in the way of your pissing and moaning...Carry on.

    8. Member
      Join Date
      May 31st, 2000
      Posts
      6,079
      Cars
      '90 Corrado G60
      05-31-2013 07:09 AM #8
      can't wait until another domestic TT breaks in the short run. see Ecoboost V6.

    9. Member TangoRed's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 7th, 2005
      Location
      Cincinnati, OH
      Posts
      5,111
      Cars
      2010 BMW 528i
      05-31-2013 07:27 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by The Skeptic View Post
      can't wait until another domestic TT breaks in the short run. see Ecoboost V6.
      Yeah, because the BMW's TT I6 has been trouble free. Those domestics just don't know how to engineer anything.
      Quote Originally Posted by DamienR8 View Post
      in 2038 you will have the ability to think of a car, then your body will actually turn into a car, then you will die in an accident.

    10. Member NHDUBN#2's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 5th, 2007
      Location
      "Live Free Or Die"
      Posts
      2,576
      Cars
      A old saab Turbo.
      05-31-2013 08:10 AM #10
      Isn't this a CAFE motor response? To get high HP and low CI ?

      Quote Originally Posted by Turbiodiesel! View Post
      I have been drunk many a time, but I can't say I've ever had the urge to sexually abuse a wild animal.
      |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

    11. Member MonsterM's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 9th, 2005
      Posts
      953
      Cars
      Acura TSX, E90
      05-31-2013 08:10 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by The Skeptic View Post
      can't wait until another domestic TT breaks in the short run. see Ecoboost V6.
      B5 S4 or N54 335 would like to have a word with you.

    12. Member MonsterM's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 9th, 2005
      Posts
      953
      Cars
      Acura TSX, E90
      05-31-2013 08:12 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      It'll also have better response (no turbo lag), and will make a more consistent sports car motor since there aren't turbos that jack up the oil and air inlet temps.

      The only reason they even went with the TT V6 on the ATS-V is to play "me too" with the Europeans. The demographic that shops M3, RS4, etc are a bunch of ignorant Euro morons. They think the LT1 is the same small block that Chevy sold in a 57 Bel Air.

      There is no car that would be better off with the TT V6 over the LT1. Unfortunately, people's perceptions are why the TT V6 exist in the first place.
      Agreed. A lot of the new "turbo" technology is all about marketing.

    13. Member Ross1013's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 25th, 2012
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      7,353
      Cars
      2009 Si sedan and 2012 Crosstour 4WD
      05-31-2013 08:12 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post

      The only reason they even went with the TT V6 on the ATS-V is to play "me too" with the Europeans. The demographic that shops M3, RS4, etc are a bunch of ignorant Euro morons. They think the LT1 is the same small block that Chevy sold in a 57 Bel Air.

      There is no car that would be better off with the TT V6 over the LT1. Unfortunately, people's perceptions are why the TT V6 exist in the first place.
      Talking out of your bunghole...again
      Wish List: Boss 302, X5M, EVO X
      Past: 2006 Accord V6 ('09-12); 1995 Taurus SHO ('07-10); 2001 ITR ('01-07); 98 Civic HX CVT ('98-01)

      Quote Originally Posted by jamerican1
      Dude, you know you're like the opposite of a purist, right?

    14. Banned Saintor's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 27th, 2003
      Posts
      9,578
      05-31-2013 08:21 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      There is no car that would be better off with the TT V6 over the LT1. Unfortunately, people's perceptions are why the TT V6 exist in the first place.
      That is totally correct. All about marketing hype. This is likely to be a ridiculous engine, like their 2.0T that makes NOTHING better than their excellent 3.6 DI.
      Last edited by Saintor; 05-31-2013 at 08:28 AM.

    15. Member z0d's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 13th, 2009
      Location
      Baton Rouge
      Posts
      2,232
      Cars
      2013 Maytag Centennial
      05-31-2013 08:27 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
      That's totally correct. All about marketing. This will be a ridiculous engine, like their 2.0T that makes NOTHING better than their excellent 3.6 DI.
      The LT1 makes more power, and gets the same fuel economy they're projecting for this (1 less MPG city, same highway).

      So the benefit is..?

    16. Member MonsterM's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 9th, 2005
      Posts
      953
      Cars
      Acura TSX, E90
      05-31-2013 08:33 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by z0d View Post
      The LT1 makes more power, and gets the same fuel economy they're projecting for this (1 less MPG city, same highway).

      So the benefit is..?
      Well...it doesn't make the WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH sound

    17. Member elementpb's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 23rd, 2008
      Location
      Mechanicsville, VA
      Posts
      3,740
      Cars
      2012 GTI Autobahn
      05-31-2013 08:40 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by z0d View Post
      The LT1 makes more power, and gets the same fuel economy they're projecting for this (1 less MPG city, same highway).

      So the benefit is..?
      smaller engine size?
      Aren't taxes in certain European countries based on the cubic inches of the engine?

    18. 05-31-2013 08:48 AM #18
      Sooooo......new GNX motor?
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      You're a self-serving Japanese car-hating asshat.
      I drive two Japanese cars.

    19. Member 2.0T_Convert's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 23rd, 2009
      Location
      Worse than Detroit (NJ)
      Posts
      13,023
      05-31-2013 08:48 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by elementpb View Post
      smaller engine size?
      Aren't taxes in certain European countries based on the cubic inches of the engine?
      Shh don't tell that to Europeans! The CTS came up as a thread on my fitness forum and several European members came charging in denouncing Cadillac because the engines suck the cars suck oh and why ATS get terrible fuel economy compared to BMW? Oh right because American cars are fuel sucking pigs.
      Sent from my brat-pad while sipping weak girly drinks over fancy brunch with a view

    20. Member Mike!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 17th, 2002
      Location
      Ontario & Ohio
      Posts
      12,997
      Cars
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      05-31-2013 08:59 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by NHDUBN#2 View Post
      Isn't this a CAFE motor response? To get high HP and low CI ?
      Displacement has nothing to do with CAFE, and the C in CAFE stands for corporate. A handful of turbocharged Cadillacs is a drop in the bucket of GM as a whole.

      The Germans are trending this way, for CAFE as well as selling perk of better window sticker mileage. GM is just playing along.

    21. Member GTI2Slow's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 22nd, 2007
      Location
      New Hampshire
      Posts
      2,173
      Cars
      MK5 GTI, 2013 Escape Ecoboost 1.6 4WD
      05-31-2013 09:18 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      It'll also have better response (no turbo lag), and will make a more consistent sports car motor since there aren't turbos that jack up the oil and air inlet temps.
      Turbo technology has come a long way since the 80's. OEM's use small turbos that have nearly instantaneous spool. Lag and throttle response is no longer an issue. Durability isn't really an issue. OEM tunes have been pretty conservative and intercoolers have improved as well. I'm sure that GM has an engineer or two floating about that can spec a proper IC core to keep IAT's in check.

    22. Member Grain_Belt's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 5th, 2011
      Location
      Minneapolis MN
      Posts
      299
      Cars
      2010 Toyota Corolla - Manual Everything
      05-31-2013 09:21 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      how about you start with a dictionary and some books

    23. Member Live-Wire's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 9th, 2005
      Location
      Guelph Ontario
      Posts
      10,976
      Cars
      2008 BMW 335i
      05-31-2013 09:23 AM #23
      Pretty impressive specs... should be fun.

      I'm in the camp that thinks this engine is to meet current downsizing trends. Real world numbers might not pan out to be any better, but a turbo motor beats a NA V8 in government economy testing pretty much every time.

      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Shh don't tell that to Europeans! The CTS came up as a thread on my fitness forum and several European members came charging in denouncing Cadillac because the engines suck the cars suck oh and why ATS get terrible fuel economy compared to BMW? Oh right because American cars are fuel sucking pigs.
      The ATS isn't as good as its BMW counterpart in terms of fuel economy tho. They have a valid point. From what I've read, all the Cadillac new models are a little weak when it comes to real world economy.

      The rest of their argument is pure opinion... I know quite a few people that have owned Cadillacs and say they are the worst piles of crap built... I also know some owners who had great luck with even some of Cadillac's worst models. (500k kms out of a 1st gen STS with minimal maintenance/repair and other stories like that).

    24. Banned Saintor's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 27th, 2003
      Posts
      9,578
      05-31-2013 09:28 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Live-Wire View Post
      Pretty impressive specs... should be fun.

      I'm in the camp that thinks this engine is to meet current downsizing trends. Real world numbers might not pan out to be any better, but a turbo motor beats a NA V8 in government economy testing pretty much every time.
      Not if the NA V8 is also DI, like the forced-induction that it is compared to.

    25. Geriatric Member Turbio!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 21st, 2005
      Location
      San Antonio, TX
      Posts
      40,530
      Cars
      '13 Subaru Outback
      05-31-2013 09:32 AM #25
      This won't go in the Corvette - that's V8 only. It will probably see some action in the entire Cadillac line, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it in a version of the Camaro, the next SS, and the rumored RWD Buick.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

      Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

    26. Geriatric Member Turbio!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 21st, 2005
      Location
      San Antonio, TX
      Posts
      40,530
      Cars
      '13 Subaru Outback
      05-31-2013 09:34 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by z0d View Post
      The LT1 makes more power, and gets the same fuel economy they're projecting for this (1 less MPG city, same highway).

      So the benefit is..?
      Transverse applications, European-market applications.

      Personally, I tend to agree with Dan Roth over at Autoblog that versions of the small-block could and should be used to power the entire Cadillac line, but....
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

      Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

    27. Member curvedinfinity's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 11th, 2004
      Location
      Highway to the danger zone
      Posts
      8,496
      Cars
      F14 Tomcat
      05-31-2013 10:10 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Transverse applications, European-market applications.

      Personally, I tend to agree with Dan Roth over at Autoblog that versions of the small-block could and should be used to power the entire Cadillac line, but....
      Bingo... displacement taxes. A 6.2L is uncompetitive in a lot of Europe because of poorly conceived tax structures.
      Contributor at http://becarchic.com and http://speedsportlife.com
      Personal website with contacts: http://curvedinfinity.com
      Shenandoah hot lap 1:46.92: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmYq3mBbwPg

    28. Member NHDUBN#2's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 5th, 2007
      Location
      "Live Free Or Die"
      Posts
      2,576
      Cars
      A old saab Turbo.
      05-31-2013 10:11 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      Displacement has nothing to do with CAFE, and the C in CAFE stands for corporate. A handful of turbocharged Cadillacs is a drop in the bucket of GM as a whole.

      The Germans are trending this way, for CAFE as well as selling perk of better window sticker mileage. GM is just playing along.
      Thanks . I was looking for the answer and not trying to be an ass..So thanks!!

      Quote Originally Posted by Turbiodiesel! View Post
      I have been drunk many a time, but I can't say I've ever had the urge to sexually abuse a wild animal.
      |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

    29. Member nicetry's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 12th, 2008
      Posts
      387
      Cars
      11 S5, 04 S4 Avant, 02 996TT
      05-31-2013 10:11 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      The demographic that shops M3, RS4, etc are a bunch of ignorant Euro morons.

    30. Member compy222's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 7th, 2005
      Location
      Pothole, MI
      Posts
      14,472
      Cars
      2003 Miata SE, 2002 Z51 Corvette
      05-31-2013 10:17 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by The Skeptic View Post
      can't wait until another domestic TT breaks in the short run. see Ecoboost V6.
      GM's turbo and DI motors have had excellent track records, a couple are borderline indestructible...see 2.0L LNF from the CSS/Solstice/Sky.
      Regarding DD'ing a tuned Evo:
      Quote Originally Posted by SchrickVR6 View Post
      It's composed at all speeds and at all times...it just feels like you're holding the leash on a 150lb pit bull and praying you don't see a squirrel.

    31. Member
      Join Date
      May 15th, 2007
      Location
      Wilmington, DE
      Posts
      12,972
      Cars
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      05-31-2013 11:28 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by compy222 View Post
      GM's turbo and DI motors have had excellent track records, a couple are borderline indestructible...see 2.0L LNF from the CSS/Solstice/Sky.
      Buick/GM also has a pretty long history of force feeding V6 engines.

      The supercharged 3800 Series V6 was damned near standard on all mid-sized to full-sized GM sedans/coupes for most of the 1990s.

    32. Member compy222's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 7th, 2005
      Location
      Pothole, MI
      Posts
      14,472
      Cars
      2003 Miata SE, 2002 Z51 Corvette
      05-31-2013 11:41 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      Buick/GM also has a pretty long history of force feeding V6 engines.

      The supercharged 3800 Series V6 was damned near standard on all mid-sized to full-sized GM sedans/coupes for most of the 1990s.
      as much as it hurts TCL to admit it, this is one area GM has done very well in.
      Regarding DD'ing a tuned Evo:
      Quote Originally Posted by SchrickVR6 View Post
      It's composed at all speeds and at all times...it just feels like you're holding the leash on a 150lb pit bull and praying you don't see a squirrel.

    33. Banned justanotherusername's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 26th, 2007
      Location
      Palm Beach, FL
      Posts
      25,984
      Cars
      '08 135i, '00 4runner, '85 Huntsman (Toyota) RV
      05-31-2013 11:47 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by GTI2Slow View Post
      Turbo technology has come a long way since the 80's. OEM's use small turbos that have nearly instantaneous spool. Lag and throttle response is no longer an issue. Durability isn't really an issue. OEM tunes have been pretty conservative and intercoolers have improved as well. I'm sure that GM has an engineer or two floating about that can spec a proper IC core to keep IAT's in check.
      . Throttle transitions still result in noticeable lag, even with small turbos.

    34. Member masa8888's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 5th, 2003
      Location
      Reston VA
      Posts
      6,989
      Cars
      2015 Audi A3 2.0TQ 2014 VW Golf TDI
      05-31-2013 11:49 AM #34
      I bet NVH was a consideration as well. The V6TT will be significantly more quiet (inside and outside) than the LT1 would. This makes sense, considering the demographic of Cadillac. Of course enthusiasts would probably prefer the LT1, but I get it.

    35. Member compy222's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 7th, 2005
      Location
      Pothole, MI
      Posts
      14,472
      Cars
      2003 Miata SE, 2002 Z51 Corvette
      05-31-2013 11:51 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by justanotherusername View Post
      . Throttle transitions still result in noticeable lag, even with small turbos.
      this is true, but direct injection and more aggressive timing has changed this from seconds to tenths of seconds.
      Regarding DD'ing a tuned Evo:
      Quote Originally Posted by SchrickVR6 View Post
      It's composed at all speeds and at all times...it just feels like you're holding the leash on a 150lb pit bull and praying you don't see a squirrel.

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •