Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1. 05-31-2013 12:29 AM #1
      This engine will be super cool in the new Corvette. Screw the low hood line
      Extend the redline to get 450hp will be in the ATS-V.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/news/...-in-gm-history

2. 05-31-2013 01:29 AM #2
      I want anice tewin turbo LT1 in my Vee

Cars
      2006 Passat 2.0T, 2006 Jetta 2.5, 2008 Volvo XC90 3.2
      05-31-2013 01:55 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Impeccable View Post
      I want anice tewin turbo LT1 in my Vee
      how about you start with a dictionary and some books

4. Member
      Cars
      2006 Gallardo Spyder, 2001 Miata LS, 2006 Corvette-Sold, 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (RIP)
      05-31-2013 02:06 AM #4
      Why would anyone want this engine in the Corvette? I guess if you wanted to mod it would be easy to jack up the boost, but stock for stock the LT1 is more powerful, torquier, probably sounds better and is likely lighter with better real-world fuel economy too
      "When you need to get somewhere quickly, I'd rather get there the fastest I can, looking the best I can"-Rutledge Wood

Cars
      ///M Roadster
      05-31-2013 02:46 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by thetopdog View Post
      Why would anyone want this engine in the Corvette? I guess if you wanted to mod it would be easy to jack up the boost, but stock for stock the LT1 is more powerful, torquier, probably sounds better and is likely lighter with better real-world fuel economy too
      It'll also have better response (no turbo lag), and will make a more consistent sports car motor since there aren't turbos that jack up the oil and air inlet temps.

The only reason they even went with the TT V6 on the ATS-V is to play "me too" with the Europeans. The demographic that shops M3, RS4, etc are a bunch of ignorant Euro morons. They think the LT1 is the same small block that Chevy sold in a 57 Bel Air.

There is no car that would be better off with the TT V6 over the LT1. Unfortunately, people's perceptions are why the TT V6 exist in the first place.

6. 05-31-2013 03:28 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      It'll also have better response (no turbo lag), and will make a more consistent sports car motor since there aren't turbos that jack up the oil and air inlet temps.

The only reason they even went with the TT V6 on the ATS-V is to play "me too" with the Europeans. The demographic that shops M3, RS4, etc are a bunch of ignorant Euro morons. They think the LT1 is the same small block that Chevy sold in a 57 Bel Air.

There is no car that would be better off with the TT V6 over the LT1. Unfortunately, people's perceptions are why the TT V6 exist in the first place.
      Yes, that's exactly why they built the TT V6. To go "me too".

Sent from Ecto1

7. Member
      05-31-2013 07:07 AM #7
      The demographic that shops M3, RS4, etc are a bunch of ignorant Euro morons.
      Yeah. Don't let reality get in the way of your pissing and moaning...Carry on.

8. Member
      Cars
      '90 Corrado G60
      05-31-2013 07:09 AM #8
      can't wait until another domestic TT breaks in the short run. see Ecoboost V6.

Cars
      2010 BMW 528i
      05-31-2013 07:27 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by The Skeptic View Post
      Yeah, because the BMW's TT I6 has been trouble free. Those domestics just don't know how to engineer anything.
      Quote Originally Posted by DamienR8 View Post
      in 2038 you will have the ability to think of a car, then your body will actually turn into a car, then you will die in an accident.

Cars
      A old saab Turbo.
      05-31-2013 08:10 AM #10
      Isn't this a CAFE motor response? To get high HP and low CI ?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbiodiesel! View Post
      I have been drunk many a time, but I can't say I've ever had the urge to sexually abuse a wild animal.
      |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Cars
      Acura TSX
      05-31-2013 08:10 AM #11
      B5 S4 or N54 335 would like to have a word with you.

Cars
      Acura TSX
      05-31-2013 08:12 AM #12

Agreed. A lot of the new "turbo" technology is all about marketing.

Cars
      2009 Si sedan and 2012 Crosstour 4WD
      05-31-2013 08:12 AM #13

Talking out of your bunghole...again
      Wish List: Boss 302, X5M, EVO X
      Past: 2006 Accord V6 ('09-12); 1995 Taurus SHO ('07-10); 2001 ITR ('01-07); 98 Civic HX CVT ('98-01)

Quote Originally Posted by jamerican1
      Dude, you know you're like the opposite of a purist, right?

14. 05-31-2013 08:21 AM #14
      That is totally correct. All about marketing hype. This is likely to be a ridiculous engine, like their 2.0T that makes NOTHING better than their excellent 3.6 DI.
      Last edited by Saintor; 05-31-2013 at 08:28 AM.
      2007 E90 AW 323i Step | Lowered 1.25"/1" | BMW Performance Exhaust | PBX | Debadged | Scangauge II | Style 162 18" & 161 17" wheels & rear 15mm spacers

Cars
      2013 Maytag Centennial
      05-31-2013 08:27 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
      That's totally correct. All about marketing. This will be a ridiculous engine, like their 2.0T that makes NOTHING better than their excellent 3.6 DI.
      The LT1 makes more power, and gets the same fuel economy they're projecting for this (1 less MPG city, same highway).

So the benefit is..?

Cars
      Acura TSX
      05-31-2013 08:33 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by z0d View Post
      The LT1 makes more power, and gets the same fuel economy they're projecting for this (1 less MPG city, same highway).

So the benefit is..?
      Well...it doesn't make the WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH sound

Cars
      2011 Rustang. Secretary Edition.
      05-31-2013 08:40 AM #17

So the benefit is..?
      smaller engine size?
      Aren't taxes in certain European countries based on the cubic inches of the engine?

18. 05-31-2013 08:48 AM #18
      Sooooo......new GNX motor?
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      You're a self-serving Japanese car-hating asshat.
      I drive two Japanese cars.

Cars
      Facehugger twofitty
      05-31-2013 08:48 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by elementpb View Post
      smaller engine size?
      Aren't taxes in certain European countries based on the cubic inches of the engine?
      Shh don't tell that to Europeans! The CTS came up as a thread on my fitness forum and several European members came charging in denouncing Cadillac because the engines suck the cars suck oh and why ATS get terrible fuel economy compared to BMW? Oh right because American cars are fuel sucking pigs.
      Past rides:
      Volkswagen GTI
      Honda CR-Z
      Honda Civic Coupe
      Your mom's Ford Windstar

Cars
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      05-31-2013 08:59 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by NHDUBN#2 View Post
      Isn't this a CAFE motor response? To get high HP and low CI ?
      Displacement has nothing to do with CAFE, and the C in CAFE stands for corporate. A handful of turbocharged Cadillacs is a drop in the bucket of GM as a whole.

The Germans are trending this way, for CAFE as well as selling perk of better window sticker mileage. GM is just playing along.

Cars
      MK5 GTI, 2013 Escape Ecoboost 1.6 4WD
      05-31-2013 09:18 AM #21
      Turbo technology has come a long way since the 80's. OEM's use small turbos that have nearly instantaneous spool. Lag and throttle response is no longer an issue. Durability isn't really an issue. OEM tunes have been pretty conservative and intercoolers have improved as well. I'm sure that GM has an engineer or two floating about that can spec a proper IC core to keep IAT's in check.

Cars
      2010 Toyota Corolla - Manual Everything
      05-31-2013 09:21 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      how about you start with a dictionary and some books

Cars
      2008 BMW 335i
      05-31-2013 09:23 AM #23
      Pretty impressive specs... should be fun.

I'm in the camp that thinks this engine is to meet current downsizing trends. Real world numbers might not pan out to be any better, but a turbo motor beats a NA V8 in government economy testing pretty much every time.

Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Shh don't tell that to Europeans! The CTS came up as a thread on my fitness forum and several European members came charging in denouncing Cadillac because the engines suck the cars suck oh and why ATS get terrible fuel economy compared to BMW? Oh right because American cars are fuel sucking pigs.
      The ATS isn't as good as its BMW counterpart in terms of fuel economy tho. They have a valid point. From what I've read, all the Cadillac new models are a little weak when it comes to real world economy.

The rest of their argument is pure opinion... I know quite a few people that have owned Cadillacs and say they are the worst piles of crap built... I also know some owners who had great luck with even some of Cadillac's worst models. (500k kms out of a 1st gen STS with minimal maintenance/repair and other stories like that).

24. 05-31-2013 09:28 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Live-Wire View Post
      Pretty impressive specs... should be fun.

I'm in the camp that thinks this engine is to meet current downsizing trends. Real world numbers might not pan out to be any better, but a turbo motor beats a NA V8 in government economy testing pretty much every time.
      Not if the NA V8 is also DI, like the forced-induction that it is compared to.
      2007 E90 AW 323i Step | Lowered 1.25"/1" | BMW Performance Exhaust | PBX | Debadged | Scangauge II | Style 162 18" & 161 17" wheels & rear 15mm spacers

Cars
      '13 Subaru Outback
      05-31-2013 09:32 AM #25
      This won't go in the Corvette - that's V8 only. It will probably see some action in the entire Cadillac line, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it in a version of the Camaro, the next SS, and the rumored RWD Buick.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

Cars
      '13 Subaru Outback
      05-31-2013 09:34 AM #26

So the benefit is..?
      Transverse applications, European-market applications.

Personally, I tend to agree with Dan Roth over at Autoblog that versions of the small-block could and should be used to power the entire Cadillac line, but....
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

Cars
      F14 Tomcat
      05-31-2013 10:10 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Transverse applications, European-market applications.

Personally, I tend to agree with Dan Roth over at Autoblog that versions of the small-block could and should be used to power the entire Cadillac line, but....
      Bingo... displacement taxes. A 6.2L is uncompetitive in a lot of Europe because of poorly conceived tax structures.
      Personal website with contacts: http://curvedinfinity.com
      Shenandoah hot lap 1:46.92: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmYq3mBbwPg

Cars
      A old saab Turbo.
      05-31-2013 10:11 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      Displacement has nothing to do with CAFE, and the C in CAFE stands for corporate. A handful of turbocharged Cadillacs is a drop in the bucket of GM as a whole.

The Germans are trending this way, for CAFE as well as selling perk of better window sticker mileage. GM is just playing along.
      Thanks . I was looking for the answer and not trying to be an ass..So thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbiodiesel! View Post
      I have been drunk many a time, but I can't say I've ever had the urge to sexually abuse a wild animal.
      |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Cars
      06 A4 Avant, 02 TT 225, 02 996TT
      05-31-2013 10:11 AM #29
      The demographic that shops M3, RS4, etc are a bunch of ignorant Euro morons.

Cars
      2003 Miata SE
      05-31-2013 10:17 AM #30
      GM's turbo and DI motors have had excellent track records, a couple are borderline indestructible...see 2.0L LNF from the CSS/Solstice/Sky.
      Regarding DD'ing a tuned Evo:
      Quote Originally Posted by SchrickVR6 View Post
      It's composed at all speeds and at all times...it just feels like you're holding the leash on a 150lb pit bull and praying you don't see a squirrel.

31. Member
      Cars
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      05-31-2013 11:28 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by compy222 View Post
      GM's turbo and DI motors have had excellent track records, a couple are borderline indestructible...see 2.0L LNF from the CSS/Solstice/Sky.
      Buick/GM also has a pretty long history of force feeding V6 engines.

The supercharged 3800 Series V6 was damned near standard on all mid-sized to full-sized GM sedans/coupes for most of the 1990s.

Cars
      2003 Miata SE
      05-31-2013 11:41 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      Buick/GM also has a pretty long history of force feeding V6 engines.

The supercharged 3800 Series V6 was damned near standard on all mid-sized to full-sized GM sedans/coupes for most of the 1990s.
      as much as it hurts TCL to admit it, this is one area GM has done very well in.
      It's composed at all speeds and at all times...it just feels like you're holding the leash on a 150lb pit bull and praying you don't see a squirrel.

33. Senior Member justanotherusername's Avatar
      Cars
      '08 135i, '00 4runner, '85 Huntsman (Toyota) RV
      05-31-2013 11:47 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by GTI2Slow View Post
      Turbo technology has come a long way since the 80's. OEM's use small turbos that have nearly instantaneous spool. Lag and throttle response is no longer an issue. Durability isn't really an issue. OEM tunes have been pretty conservative and intercoolers have improved as well. I'm sure that GM has an engineer or two floating about that can spec a proper IC core to keep IAT's in check.
      . Throttle transitions still result in noticeable lag, even with small turbos.

Cars
      2014 VW Passat TSI 2013 VW Golf TDI
      05-31-2013 11:49 AM #34
      I bet NVH was a consideration as well. The V6TT will be significantly more quiet (inside and outside) than the LT1 would. This makes sense, considering the demographic of Cadillac. Of course enthusiasts would probably prefer the LT1, but I get it.

Cars
      2003 Miata SE
      05-31-2013 11:51 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by justanotherusername View Post
      . Throttle transitions still result in noticeable lag, even with small turbos.
      this is true, but direct injection and more aggressive timing has changed this from seconds to tenths of seconds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast