Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    1. Member
      Cars
      Volkswagen
      11-08-2015 05:52 PM #51
      Anyone have know a link for diy for replacing the valve cover?

2. Remove Advertisements
      Fourtitude.com
      Advertisements
    3. 12-31-2015 04:14 PM #52
      Hello,

I realize that your post is a few years old, but I have a 2006 Audi A3 3.2 with a failed PCV diaphragm. I am trying to find an inexpensive repair. I can see in you picture that you have a hose coming from the valve cover outlet to the can. I can see you have the original hose laying open in the photo. Did you cap that line off? Did you cap another line? Did you leave it that way or have the valve cover replaced.

Thank you
      Tod

Cars
      2006 A3 S-Line 3.2, Schricked
      06-06-2016 11:34 AM #53
      Tod, you have to cap that line off...Just did this temp fix my self. I just got a Pro-Vent catch-can(034 has them) to install soon. I've also ordered a new diaphragm for the failed one in the valve cover from a Russian dealer! If/when I ever take the engine apart, perhaps I'll install it! Although, if I can keep the Pro-Vent on and pass Calif. emissions, I will.

Quote Originally Posted by Todsgto View Post
      Hello,

I realize that your post is a few years old, but I have a 2006 Audi A3 3.2 with a failed PCV diaphragm. I am trying to find an inexpensive repair. I can see in you picture that you have a hose coming from the valve cover outlet to the can. I can see you have the original hose laying open in the photo. Did you cap that line off? Did you cap another line? Did you leave it that way or have the valve cover replaced.

Thank you
      Tod

Cars
      82 Callaway Turbo Scirocco #17, 03 GTI 1.8T GT2871R, 76 BMW 2002, 08 R32, '98 Cheyenne 1500+Trailer
      06-17-2016 12:52 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by Eric D View Post
      That is a cyclone oil separator, yeah it stings that it isn't sold separately.

Would you be able to gut that and put some sort of catch can set up in its place? Might save a couple hundred that way.

Cars
      2008 TR R32; 1992 Jetta GLI (retired)
      06-30-2016 07:39 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by RuckFules32 View Post
      I just found a picture online and edited it to show the location. Took me forever to figure out how to get into my old photobucket haha. Hope replacing that works for you. If not, then it's the diaphragm in the Valve Cover.
      I've been experiencing the same issues some have posted here. Started last year, once in a while I would get rough idle, needle going from 500 up to 1k the back down almost to a stall. It would not do it all the time, so never really got around to figuring out why. I did however had CEL, so when I had it serviced, I mentioned it to my mechanic who said it was a vacuum leak and it was throwing CEL. Don't know what he did but CEL was gone for like a month then came back. Been driving like that since last year. It started happening more often about two months ago, but after a few minutes it would go away. Lately, again rough idle, engine seems like it's jumping all over the place...so after I read this post I went out, put my finger in little breather hole by the oil cap and there was suction for a second or two, but nothing crazy like some have posted here. Then I removed the oil cap with no problem while engine running...car still idling rough. Tried to "feel" with fingers if there's a vacuum leak along the vacuum lines, nothing. Soooo then I found a fix! I hit the valve cover with my fist 3-4 times near where you circled on the picture, gently but firmly and idle went back to normal instantly! Went inside the car, idle is steady at around 8k! I can't believe it. I know there's something wrong, no doubt about it, but I got my car to idle somewhat normal. So next time you are idling rough, use your fist, worked for me

Cars
      2008 TR R32; 1992 Jetta GLI (retired)
      07-05-2016 11:52 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by jetta_92gli View Post
      I've been experiencing the same issues some have posted here. Started last year, once in a while I would get rough idle, needle going from 500 up to 1k the back down almost to a stall. It would not do it all the time, so never really got around to figuring out why. I did however had CEL, so when I had it serviced, I mentioned it to my mechanic who said it was a vacuum leak and it was throwing CEL. Don't know what he did but CEL was gone for like a month then came back. Been driving like that since last year. It started happening more often about two months ago, but after a few minutes it would go away. Lately, again rough idle, engine seems like it's jumping all over the place...so after I read this post I went out, put my finger in little breather hole by the oil cap and there was suction for a second or two, but nothing crazy like some have posted here. Then I removed the oil cap with no problem while engine running...car still idling rough. Tried to "feel" with fingers if there's a vacuum leak along the vacuum lines, nothing. Soooo then I found a fix! I hit the valve cover with my fist 3-4 times near where you circled on the picture, gently but firmly and idle went back to normal instantly! Went inside the car, idle is steady at around 8k! I can't believe it. I know there's something wrong, no doubt about it, but I got my car to idle somewhat normal. So next time you are idling rough, use your fist, worked for me

Soo...after a few days of driving fine, symptoms came back, rough idle at stops. Does anyone know how to replace the hose circled in the picture above? I think it's called crankcase breather hose. Looks simple to replace by just pressing the clips but not sure if there's any special procedure for the one connecting to the top of the cover. What could go wrong with this hose anyway?

09-21-2016 10:13 PM #57
      Just thought I would let you guys know that you can now buy the PCV membrane separately without having to buy a whole valve cover. https://www.rkxtech.com/collections/...-pcv-diaphragm

9. Semi-n00b
      Cars
      2003 Honda Civic SI; 2009 Infiniti FX35; 2008 VW R32; 1999 Jeep Wrangler
      10-02-2016 11:25 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by ryanj View Post
      Just thought I would let you guys know that you can now buy the PCV membrane separately without having to buy a whole valve cover. https://www.rkxtech.com/collections/...-pcv-diaphragm
      Just had this problem with my 2008 R32 and was not excited about buying a $400 valve cover...glad I read all the threads to the end, you may have saved me some money.

10. 10-22-2016 02:47 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by pinoygti View Post
      Anyone have know a link for diy for replacing the valve cover?
      This just happened to my R. I want to try and fix it myself. I've ordered and received my replacement cover. But I cant seem to find any diy instructions on how to do the job. Do you guys know if I need to add silicone sealer, and if so, at what locations? I cant imagine this job being too difficult, but i want to do it right.

Cars
      eurotuner unicorn garbage.
      01-04-2017 09:31 PM #60
      Might want to add a steel mesh like that found in the mk4 valve covers.
      Then plug the tiny hole with round stock or weld it.

is there no oil separator in this or what's the deal? I picked up a cayenne/Touareg valve cover and planned to swap the faulty diaphragm but there's nothing to swap -- I'm stumped.

@cermak_j or @muffskinz_bodywerks <-- (instagram). 🐣

Cars
      1943 Flugkreisel, 1945 VRIL-7
      01-05-2017 12:07 AM #61
      Considering the valve cover isn't the same part # as your Mk5, I'm not surprised.
      The valve cover I posted is a Mk4 R32, basically has a flame trap.'
      The Touareg has an external PCV as does the Cayenne. They don't share the same PCV as the Cayenne has a different intake manifold.
      Touareg on the left, smallest of the pair, and Cayenne on the right. Price difference is major.

Here is a diaphragm for your Mk5.
      https://www.rkxtech.com/products/36-pcv-diaphragm

I believe I've read where that someone had tried a Mk5 2.0T PCV diaphragm and it worked.
      The 2.0T breather/PCV is pricey, some aftermarket ones are priced in the mid $20 range.
      The Dorman PCV diaphragm is thin like the original, but was the only alternative back in the day.
      This one offered by RKXTech looks thicker.

DIY video.

The original Dub and Dubber.
      Manche VWs sind einfach schneller als andere.

Cars
      eurotuner unicorn garbage.
      01-05-2017 01:45 PM #62
      I appreciate the reply!! I was wondering why the internals were different. It's not for a mkv though, my mkiv .:r project lol -- this thread just has some useful info.

I picked up that diaphragm and I guess I won't be needing it, if anyone's in need lmk!
      @cermak_j or @muffskinz_bodywerks <-- (instagram). 🐣

14. 05-09-2017 12:34 PM #63
      I'm having this problem now, is it ok to drive for the next couple of days till I get back to my mech?

15. 05-11-2017 04:12 AM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by elMacJunkie View Post
      i had a friend that works at a local vw dealer check it out and he capped the vacuum line going to the intake and made a temp catch can for the vent valve.
      Car is running good now, no CEL.
      I might just get an actual catch can and run it this way, then replace the valve cover at a later time.

Quote Originally Posted by kgw View Post
      Tod, you have to cap that line off...Just did this temp fix my self. I just got a Pro-Vent catch-can(034 has them) to install soon. I've also ordered a new diaphragm for the failed one in the valve cover from a Russian dealer! If/when I ever take the engine apart, perhaps I'll install it! Although, if I can keep the Pro-Vent on and pass Calif. emissions, I will.
      Also, can i clarify the hose going to the temporary catchcan, its open system? ie no vacuum/pressure and the gas/oil just drip into the can?

Tks

16. 05-14-2017 09:36 PM #65
      Considering the valve cover isn't the same part # as your Mk5, I'm not surprised.
      The valve cover I posted is a Mk4 R32, basically has a flame trap.'
      The Touareg has an external PCV as does the Cayenne. They don't share the same PCV as the Cayenne has a different intake manifold.
      Touareg on the left, smallest of the pair, and Cayenne on the right. Price difference is major.

Wonder if this Touraeg's PCV, the hose's end and the sensor's end can fit on the R32? Essentially bypassing R32's internal broken PCV

Cars
      .:R32 #3957
      05-16-2017 08:17 AM #66
      I replaced the PCV diaphragm last weekend. Here are some pictures with the intake manifold and throttle body removed just for reference if you ever get stuck.

The diaphragm was punctured in two places

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Cars
      2006 A3 S-Line 3.2, Schricked
      05-19-2017 12:12 AM #67
      How was getting the manifold off without putting the front end into service position?

Quote Originally Posted by r32gooner View Post
      I replaced the PCV diaphragm last weekend. Here are some pictures with the intake manifold and throttle body removed just for reference if you ever get stuck.

The diaphragm was punctured in two places

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

19. 05-19-2017 07:55 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by kgw View Post
      How was getting the manifold off without putting the front end into service position?
      You still have to put it in service position. But it's honestly not that bad I just did mine a few weeks ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. 05-21-2017 12:25 AM #69
      Thanks for the photos. How difficult and how long it takes for the entire job?

Quote Originally Posted by RuckFules32 View Post
      Also, how do one pull off the breather crankcase hose from the engine cover (circled red above)?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123