Fourtitude.com - The Rental Car Thread
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    1. 07-01-2013 02:39 PM #101
      Chevy Malibu through Hertz on Demand.

Originally I was supposed to get a Fiat 500 but due to some logistic issue, I was reassigned to a Malibu; although still at the same cost as the Fiat (Malibu would have been almost twice as much)

Overall, extremely pleasant experience. The only exception: mother nature (downpour throughout the few hours I had the car for).

If you'd only need a car for a few hours, this program is highly recommended. I like it better than ZipCar because membership is free and car selections are generally better (ar least in my area).

2. Remove Advertisements
      Fourtitude.com
      Advertisements
      Cars
      '08 135i, '00 4runner, '85 Huntsman (Toyota) RV
      07-08-2013 08:12 PM #102
      Picked up a Passat this afternoon.

Wow! They really did go down-market with this last generation. I was shocked at some of the materials quality. The steering wheel and gear shift lever are just awful. Everything fits together well, but the materials are just cheap.

It has this weird hesitation when I'm pulling out and the transmission seems to be determined to get into the highest gear possible all the time, which is an issue because it's slow as **** even when it's in the right gear. It has less than 2k miles on it, so maybe that's something that improves as it breaks in.

It drives Ok though. About average for the segment. I saw about 32MPG over the 40 mile trip from the airport to the hotel.

4. Member
      Cars
      06 VW GLI (sold), 98 Cherokee offroad toy, 00 Cherokee (DD), 08 Duramax, 91 GMC Syclone
      07-08-2013 08:54 PM #103
      Put about 1000miles on the current Chevy Impala. Not a bad car but the wipers suck in the southeastern downpours.
      91 GMC Syclone-build in process
      98 Jeep Cherokee- Caged offroad toy
      00 Jeep Cherokee- Daily Driver
      06 Jetta GLI, APR stg2, lowered,... -->SOLD
      08 Duramax- Toy rig (474hp, 725ft-lbs)

Cars
      14 Passat,01 S4,03 Allroad,98 Gti Vr6,92 Gti 16v 91 porsche 911 C2
      07-08-2013 10:30 PM #104
      Rented this when i was back home in March. What a fantastic car it was. And i hate fords too but i loved this

Was brand brand new when i got it. Manager had it for 2 days then me. Did over 1100miles in 2 weeks. Was super impressed by it and anyone that got in it was also impressed. Great looking car too.
      Cloud9helicopters

awol.tv

Cars
      '04 Saab 9-3, '83 VW Rabbit
      07-08-2013 11:08 PM #105
      I'm in a Ford Flex this week again. Gotta say, i quite like these things. Drives nice and feels quite sharp and agile.

Cars
      2007 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring, 1999 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 50th Anniversary Edition
      07-08-2013 11:20 PM #106
      I was on a family vacation from May 29 to June 8 in Colorado and Utah. We had a Tiguan. It was nice. The car felt solid and had a rich interior. The AC was ice cold.

You think you hate it now, but wait 'til you drive it.

Cars
      '17 Accord Sport SE 6MT Andy Approved! - '12 Honda Pilot EX-L Family Truckster
      07-08-2013 11:48 PM #107
      Here are some of the more memorable rental cars:

in St. Maarten, I've had a few strange ones. A beat to hell, old Space Wagon comes to mind:

Then there was the pleasant new car surprise, which does not happen too often:

From my trip to Germany in '07, this was all Avis had left:

Between Hamburg and Berlin:

This had 32 miles on it and we took to the desert outside Vegas:

And a Sorento I was pleasantly surprised with:

Cars
      VWs & Audis
      07-10-2013 03:38 PM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfTango View Post
      And a Sorento I was pleasantly surprised with:
      I have one of these this week. The 4cyl is WORTHLESS, but it is very well equipped (including a lockable center diff - what percent of owners do you think even know when to use it let alone what it does).
      Dave

Cars
      2016 Audi A4/ 2015.5 Volvo XC-60/2005 BMW Z4
      07-10-2013 04:44 PM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by BostonB6 View Post
      Wrote a very nice letter directly to CEO of Enterprise Holdings and CEO of National detailing my experience with National Aruba. I didn't ask for anything. Only detailed my experience and suggested that someone from corporate should take a look at what's going on with their vehicles in Aruba.

Should be interesting to the response I get.

BTW - for those of you that will scoff at writing directly to CEO's because they don't read them, I did the same when I was having recurring issues with a Whirlpool washer that was just out of warranty expressing my dismay that a washer would break down every 10-12 mos, requiring expensive repairs. Couple of months later, Whirlpool CEO's admin assistant contacted me directly and arranged delivery of an entirely new washer. Only condition was that they wanted the old one back for their engineers to tear apart to see why I was having the issues. Somebody does read these letters.
      UPDATE - Got 3 free rental days as compensation and a letter from corporate stating that the GM for Aruba location is being asked to explain what happened.

Cars
      '08 135i, '00 4runner, '85 Huntsman (Toyota) RV
      07-14-2013 10:47 AM #110
      Nice. ^^^

I've had a V6 Mustang since Wednesday. I did a one-way rental from New Orleans to Palm Beach because I was finishing work after the last flight left and there was the potential for a storm, so I was going to be just about as fast as flying home, and a lot more of a sure thing getting here considering the weather.

So the Mustang is pretty decent. I love the seats, and the multi-function display Ford is using across the line-up is the best in the industry IMO. It's far and away better than the VW I had earlier in the week.This one just has the basic stereo, which is nothing special. It sounds good enough but the features aren't as good as some of the higher end systems.

I averaged 25.5MPG on the drive home, running about an 80MPH average. The V6 has plenty of power, but I think that fuel economy is a little mediocre. The transmission is decent, but like most autos I find it in the wrong gear pretty often, and in the Mustang that can result in a pretty violent downshift at certain speeds. I'd enjoy this car a lot more with a manual.

The trunk is pretty small and the opening makes it seem even smaller. The back seats are just about unusable for an adult. One of my biggest gripes are the rear headrests. They extend almost to the back glass and block a significant amount of the rear view in an car that already has limited visibility. You could remove them, but the way the seats are made it's going to look awful.

Overall a pretty solid effort by Ford.

This is through Avis, who I use a lot and no problems.

Cars
      15 Outback 3.6R
      07-14-2013 11:42 AM #111
      I just did 900 miles in 3 days in a Hertz Impala. It was totally adequate as a highway cruiser.

I rent a lot for business. I'm Hertz Five Star so I usually get a marginally better car. I can't recall recently renting a car I would ever consider owning.

13. 07-14-2013 10:34 PM #112
      My last rental was a Cruze LTZ (turbo). Really nice car, but not as agile as I expected.

Best rental I've had lately was a Hyundai Genesis sedan. Felt a lot more like a big American car than German or Japanese, though.

Over the years, my least favorite rentals have been Chevy Classics, Pontiac Sunfires, and Dodge Magnums. Thankfully those are all deceased. My "surprise" favorites were the Pontiac Grand Am/Prix, and even the Aztek (got that one in ABQ, pre Breaking Bad).

Generally, I'm happy if I get just about any small car that gets 30mpg and has cruise control.

Cars
      '12 Impreza, '10 Forester, '09 Matchbox Unimog
      07-14-2013 10:57 PM #113
      came back a week ago from sarasota. They "upgraded" us to a Rogue after the Avenger's front passenger seat belt was busted. We rather enjoyed the Rogue (compared to the family's Forester)

Impressions:
      Quicker than the forester. My guess is the lack of AWD drag. But it felt like driving a very tall car.
      It was very roomy on the inside, almost like being in a bubble, which was nice.
      Front seat ergonomics were pretty good. Nothing stuck out as being poorly designed.
      AC almost kept up with high 90s weather.
      I liked the speed sensitive door locks (miss them from the VW).
      The CVT was really good!
      I think we averaged ~25 MPG with 100% AC in city and 75 MPH driving. That's great by my estimations.
      Not an enthusiast.

15. Member
      Cars
      2005 Nissan Altima
      07-14-2013 11:30 PM #114
      Just got done with a Hyundai Genesis for 3 days.

I actually really enjoyed it. Normally with all rental cars you're getting 4 bangers but the Genesis comes base with a 6 and it was soooo nice. Gotta say, the drivetrain really impressed me. The 6 combined with the 8 speed transmission really made the driving enjoyable.

Overall the interior i would give a 6.5 out of 10. I wasn't too keen overall on the design. It just seemed like it was designed 8 years ago. The seats were marginal as well. For some reason i could find a comfortable position. Not that i was uncomfortable - i just was never able to find that sweet spot.

Very good car. I really enjoyed it - especially the extra power with the V6.

Cars
      B5 Passat Wagon, E36 M3
      07-14-2013 11:44 PM #115
      Just spent a week at Ft. Lee, VA in this beast. V6, RWD. Decent power, transmission kinda did it's own thing as it felt like it. Turning off TCS allowed for plenty of tire smoke. Non-defeatable stability control put the reigns on the hooning a bit. Smooth ride on smooth roads, but once the roads got bumpy, it felt about as confident as a 16 year old nerd asking the prom queen on a date. All in all, not a bad ride. I forgot how much I enjoyed driving RWD.

Jack of all trades.

Cars
      VWs & Audis
      07-22-2013 11:18 AM #116
      had a Journey this weekend. It wasn't as big of a turd as I expected, but I couldn't get over the tiny, confusing touchscreen.
      Dave

Cars
      '07 Z4 Coupe (2012-), '86 VW Cabriolet (2009-); '97 Audi A4 1.8tq (2003-12), '85 VW GTI (1995-2003)
      07-22-2013 11:31 AM #117
      last weekend did about 750 miles roundtrip to Owens Valley / Mono Lake in an Avenger... a car i thought had been discontinued!
      my friend chose it over a Cruze

this is at the Alabama Hills outside of Lone Pine (US Hwy 395) where lotsa westerns were shot in the '20s & '30s... CRAZY-cool rock formations!

anyways, the car was better than i expected, especially fit-n-finish, but was still a pretty soft & slow dog overall; at least it wasn't a CVT! HUGE ~20 gallon gas tank, and did pretty good MPGs (anecdotally; never did the math).
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein, April 4, 2017 View Post
      Well, I was wrong.

Cars
      '14 WRX, '11 MCS, '03 K1500HD, '83 GS450
      07-22-2013 11:36 AM #118
      Had a couple rentals in the last month:

1) 2013 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible

Cashed in all the Hertz Gold points I had saved up to rent this for a week-long vacation with the wife. We put just shy of 1,200 miles on it in a week driving from LA to San Diego and back, and then all over the place in the LA basin and mountains. Can't say much bad about the car, but that would be expected. OK, the only complaint: the F*#$@#ing Neverlost GPS attached to the center console. Not only has Neverlost always been worthless, but it really cut into the passenger's knee space which really annoyed my wife.

Also, the top goes down and stores in the most asinine way, but I'm a Miata snob so I think that about almost all verts.

I got about 19 mpg average over the trip, which is pretty good since I was very heavy on the throttle.

2) 2013 Ford Escape

Rented this one from National the next week. Nice little rig! It was the Ecoboost model with pleather interior. Drove just like a jacked-up Focus, which isn't a bad thing. I needed it for equipment storage since I was closing down our LA office and moving the comms gear to Sacramento. Even loaded to the gills with computer and radio equipment, the little crossover did great on Angeles Crest up to Palmdale -- I wasn't the rolling roadblock I was expecting to be.

My only gripe about the car is that it was hard for me to find a comfortable position for the driver's seat and steering wheel, but that is the case with me in a lot of cars. I'm mostly leg and not much torso, so I'm usually hunched forward in most cars to compensate. Another gripe I had was the condition of the interior, but that wasn't the car's fault. Even though it only had 2,400 miles, apparently the last renters had bad kids and no class as there were sticky handprints all over the place. Unfortunately, I didn't notice that until after I drove off or I would have picked a different car, but 5 minutes with a pack of wet naps fixed that up.

Returned a decent 24 MPG average, even with the AC on full blast driving through central CA when it was 116.

What's with the lack of a fuel cap, though? That was a new thing for me. Oh well, at least I wasn't given the chance to leave it on top of the car in Mojave and drive off without it.

This was also my first rental with National. I know they're owned by Enterprise, but they sure operate 180 degrees from their corporate overlords. The experience was great -- I had to be with Hertz for years before they treated me as well as National did on the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk
      where have i backpedaled?

Cars
      2016 Audi A4/ 2015.5 Volvo XC-60/2005 BMW Z4
      07-22-2013 11:42 AM #119
      Quote Originally Posted by redshift View Post
      What's with the lack of a fuel cap, though? That was a new thing for me. Oh well, at least I wasn't given the chance to leave it on top of the car in Mojave and drive off without it.
      Ford started eliminating gas caps starting in 2009 I believe.

Cars
      '13 Golf R 4dr CSG
      07-22-2013 12:49 PM #120
      Rented a Chevy Suburban while on Kauai in late June/early July for 10 days. What can you really say about a Suburban - it carries a ton of stuff (we brought a bunch of dive gear and rented a surfboard for the week), it eats gas pretty quickly, leather seats were comfortable, it drives like an aircraft carrier...but it was a nice dive/surf-mobile for our time there. It was quite fun to pilot on the narrow roads on the North Shore of Kauai :-)

We were also on Oahu for 2 days = Hyundai Genesis. Very comfortable and really responsive V6.
      Last edited by Lujess; 07-22-2013 at 12:53 PM.

2013 4 Door Golf R - CSG

07-22-2013 01:02 PM #121
      Quote Originally Posted by redshift View Post
      This was also my first rental with National. I know they're owned by Enterprise, but they sure operate 180 degrees from their corporate overlords. The experience was great -- I had to be with Hertz for years before they treated me as well as National did on the first time.
      National is my company's preferred partner when it comes to rentals. They have always been SO easy to deal with. Nothing but from me.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

07-22-2013 01:13 PM #122
      Just had a Jeep Wrangler 4-door Sahara edition for a work trip to Missouri. Vehicle was brand new - 40 miles on it. Not much to say here - it's basically the same thing it's been for years. Other than as a dedicated 2nd car, I can't imagine owning one of these. Cheaply built, all the steering feel of an over-boiled strand of linguine. Doors had to be absolutely slammed shut in order to close fully. This caused the faux aluminum trim (complete with fake allen-head screws) to pop off the drivers door with regularity.

The fuel economy was abysmal - in mixed city plains highway driving we averaged 16.5mpg!!

Frankly, all this is acceptable if you want a Jeep for its intended purpose. When I think about it in that light, it's kind of awesome; this is the equivalent of say, BMW, continuing to make a modern e30 with a factory roll cage!
      1987 Mercedes 190E 16v Cosworth
      1997 Volvo 855 T5
      1998 Volvo V70 AWD
      2010 Volvo XC90

Cars
      2009 Mercedes C-300, 2013 Volvo XC70, 1967 Jaguar Mk2 sedan (3.4L)
      07-22-2013 01:23 PM #123
      Had a little Ford Fiesta as a rental this weekend up in Maine. I think I actually prefer it to the Focus, though I'll say that I'd never by the automatic version as the transmission was frustrating to me (and I'm not an automatic hater by any means). Just think that displacement motor, in the vaguely hilly area I was driving around, needs either a much better automatic, or simply a manual transmission.

However the rest of the car was surprisingly equipped, and rather capable. I came away rather liking it.

25. 08-01-2013 01:24 PM #124
      Do most people book rental cars for personal travel directly through the rental agency web site?

Or do you use Kayak, Expedia, Travelocity, etc.?

Which loyalty programs are best?

I've heard some people having issues when using online travel agencies like lost reservations or winding up at the bottom of the totem pole in the event rental cars were oversold.

Cars
      VWs & Audis
      08-01-2013 01:32 PM #125
      Had a mini clubman the other week. I just don't understand this car. Handles nicely, but the ride is rough, visibility was bad even though there is a lot of glass (low roof), the back seats look roomy but how the hell do you get back there (the half door doesn't help much), interior materials are lacking etc
      Dave

Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast