Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast
      Cars
      '04 Saab 9-3, '83 VW Rabbit
      02-27-2013 01:58 PM #1
      If you travel a lot for work and/or rent a lot of cars post up what you're renting, where you are and overall impressions.

Just got back from Whitehorse, Yukon where I had a Focus hatch for a couple days. Great car, very nimble.

2. Remove Advertisements
      Fourtitude.com
      Advertisements
      Cars
      '14 335i GT, '16 $46 Cruze
      02-27-2013 02:22 PM #2
      My most recent was a '13 300C V8 AWD. Very comfy road trip car, and the AWD was welcomed on the northern leg of our trip. We did 1,100 miles round trip from Seattle, WA to Prince George, BC.

| 2014 BMW 335i GT | The Orange Line | 2016 $46 Chevy Cruze |

02-27-2013 02:34 PM #3
      I love renting cars for long road trips and not putting the miles on my car. Anybody else do this?
      Randy
      2012 Audi Q5 | 2002 Passat 1.8T manual

02-27-2013 02:40 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by randy View Post
      I love renting cars for long road trips and not putting the miles on my car. Anybody else do this?
      Yes.

2 most recent rentals were a 2012 (last-gen) Ford Fusion 4-cyl that I really enjoyed driving and 2012 Passat. The Fusion was a dog as far acceleration was concerned but the handling and lightness of the car were great. The Passat was cavernous but the transmission programming annoyed me and the steering was unnecessarily heavy around the parking lot. Probably my favorite rental car yet, felt much more expensive then the Camry I was driving before.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

02-27-2013 02:41 PM #5
      Nope. I like my car with everything set to exactly how I like it

For driving moments like this f*ck some rental Ford Fusion!

However between flying and driving a VW sometimes I have to get rentals or loaners. My last was a Camry LE. Not bad at all. Fine it had soft bloated tires and turning was scary but otherwise it was roomy, fuel efficient, and comfortable.

Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

Cars
      '14 335i GT, '16 $46 Cruze
      02-27-2013 02:41 PM #6
      I don't do it to keep miles off, but I'll do it for a more comfortable car if it's more than 2 adults. I drove up to Tremblant (north of Montreal) back in 2011, rented a Genesis sedan so we didn't have to cram four adults into an Elantra. Total cost of the rental was $100 for a 3-day weekend. Definitely worth it.
      | 2014 BMW 335i GT | The Orange Line | 2016 $46 Chevy Cruze |

Cars
      '04 Saab 9-3, '83 VW Rabbit
      02-27-2013 02:50 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Chmeeee View Post
      We did 1,100 miles round trip from Seattle, WA to Prince George, BC.
      Goddamn!

9. 02-27-2013 02:58 PM #8
      I rent weekly driving anywhere from 600 - 1000 miles a week. My last rental was a '13 Altima. It was ok. Not too memorable but it was a decent highway cruiser. It was quiet and comfortable enough.

What surprised me was how quick the steering was. It changes direction very easily. Not so great on the highway but in town I liked it. Their CVTs are getting better. This one didn't sound too much like a lawn mower. The blue tooth was crap. It streamed from my iPhone just fine but for calls, the volume was much too low.

The computer says I got 34 MPG with 90% hwy driving @ a pretty constant 75 mph.

Last week I had a '13 sentra. Piece of crap IMO. It's loud, very loud. The engine is loud. The CVT in it was crap which surprises me because of how good the one in the Altima is. Perhaps mated to this engine it's not that great. My pet peeve in cars is the arm rest. It is an absolute requirement for long boring drives. The arm rest in this car was too far back which rendered it useless. Maybe I need to be taller to drive it so that my seat an go back further. I hated this car.

And what's with all the new cars and the long bottom seat cushions? In the Altima it felt like my legs were dangling from the seat. I sentra cusions were ok.

The week before that I had a Fusion. Really nice car, nice gadgets. Quiet, comfortable and everything seemed to work great. Gas mileage was only 30 for 90% hwy. In KC, I got 23 mpg on a tank.

The week before that I had a rogue. It's meh. It's not a bad car, just unremarkable.

The week before that, I had a Sonata. It's louder than the fusion. The gadgets work great. Comfortable highway cruiser. Is easy to drive in town and park.

And sometime earlier this year or late last year I had a '13 Camry. Really nice ride. Comfy appliance. Nothing bad to say and nothing good to say either. It's just a good car.

I also drove a Flex about 1000 miles recently. That was very nice. I loved all the gadgets and it's HUGE!

I also had a V6 300 and that was very nice. I really liked it.

So to summarize. I dislike or hate everything that I've driven from Nissan so far. I like the Fusion, but not enough to buy one. The sonata is nice, but I think I'd have to drive an Accord first.

I suck at writing reviews.

10. Semi-n00b
      Cars
      '04 WRX, '13 STi
      02-27-2013 03:04 PM #9
      My wife and I take trips up and down California to visit friends and family and we always rent.

Last time we rented, we needed a car for an entire week. When we arrived at our local Hertz, they informed us that they ran out of mid-size cars and the only car they had left was a 2011 Mercedes C300, which they upgraded us to free of charge.

Best $17/day spent ever.

Cars
      53 Cylinders & 6 turbos
      02-27-2013 03:06 PM #10

V6 Auto... Horrible at the gap, marginally better on I75 to ATL and back, should have taken the V6 Camaro.

Cars
      2012 GLI
      02-27-2013 03:07 PM #11
      Currently rolling in a somewhat new Chrysler 200 Convertible. Total POS. It has the new 6 speed AT but still has no idea what gear it should be in. My 4AT slush Matrix XR AWD had better manners than this thing.

Hit the gas, wait a full two seconds, it downshifts and makes a lot of noise while not going anywhere fast. If you put it in "shift yourself" mode and try to get power to get onto the highway, the minute you pop it to 4th it slugs and you lose your momentum. The brakes are weak and fade at the simplest of 70/80-30 mph exit ramp decelerations.

So so gas mileage, horrible headlights, a climate system that cannot keep a temperature to save it's life, and a trunk that takes a body builder to open. Chalk that up with the fact that it handles like a 1990's Cadillac with a water suspension and there is nothing about this car that makes it better than my GLI. I should have taken the Taurus or 300 instead.

Cars
      MY16 VW Golf 1.4 TSI R-Line (prev. owner: VW AG, Wolfsburg)
      02-27-2013 03:07 PM #12
      My last three rentals.

This Avis car had 20km on it when we picked it up at YVR.

Did about 150km of Sea To Sky Highway in it. It was a pretty terrible car to drive. No steering feel, no power.

This Hertz rental had over 90,000km on it when we picked it up at BGY.

Did 350km of highway in it at 130kph. It was another bad car.

And this Hertz car that we picked up at RMI had about 50,000km on it.

Did the 350km back in it. And it was even worse than the Punto. Nearly emptied the tank over the trip and the seat made my ass hurt.

Still, the two cars above together cost us about 66€.
      Last edited by Son; 02-27-2013 at 03:09 PM.

Cars
      05 ZHP
      02-27-2013 03:27 PM #13

Renault Clio on a trip to Romania. Never driven a slower car. 1.2 with 55-65 horsepower. A slight incline on the highway would cause the car to slow down 10kmph quickly. The AC sucked but it had a good stereo for such a cheap car. The car bounced and rolled. Deff did not enjoy anything about its handling. Shame since there were some awesome roads where I went.

Cars
      1985 Jetta GL 5MT, 1991 Jetta GL 3AT, 1973 Gran Torino station wagon
      02-27-2013 03:33 PM #14
      (Most recent to least recent, both a few years ago)

2004 Ford Explorer Limited

Monotone white. Driven from Richmond, VA to Augusta, GA. Pretty comfortable inside and while driving offroad. Also decent at sliding on ice. Was powerful enough for what it is. I thought the exterior and interior were boring. Looked like this one:

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier sedan

Once again white, automatic. Did not feel boring at all, but a Z24 would have made a difference in performance. The rear was boring, but I liked the bowtie rear lock. The performance was pretty decent. All the controls were easy to learn within a short time of operating the car. I have no idea why it had a FL license plate on it. Driven from Bear, DE to Augusta, GA. An unscanned photo of it I happened to already have on photobucket:

Cars
      '93 Corrado, '13 Volt CSV
      02-27-2013 04:14 PM #15
      Recently rented a VERY stripped down Versa. Roll up windows, auto trans, no cruise control, and AC.
      Worst driving experience of my life. And I just had it for 100 miles.
      Quote Originally Posted by ktk View Post
      Car enthusiast: One who harbors an inexplicable fascination with a relatively mundane mechanical device that goes beyond appreciation of its intended purpose and basic functionality, in some cases bordering on obsession.

Cars
      2015 GTI 6MT PP
      02-27-2013 04:49 PM #16

Rented one of these in Puerto Rico last October, 2012 with around 20k on the odo. It had clearly been abused in the time before I got my hands on it. The automatic transmission would grind in every gear except 2nd and the suspension was completely destroyed. The speed bumps in San Juan are legendary for their height and breadth and this car felt like it was launched off every damn one of them. Good AC though.

Rented one of these last September after some inconsiderate **** hit my car while parking. It felt like an under-powered boat compared to my car. The interior was a depressing place to sit, let alone drive. Massive trunk. You could stick at least 3 dead hookers in there. More if you're willing to butcher them first.

Cars
      Golf R
      02-27-2013 05:10 PM #17

Got this as a rental last month while I was out in Boston for work.....

- 2013 model with 45k on the clock
      - Base
      - Hertz Garmin

I owned a 2012 model but not the poverty edition and I have to say even as that ... it's a great car. It got 30MPG easy while I was driving on the MA Turnpike ... 1 tank of gas for the whole week, it was a nice little car. This is a great appliance to scoot from point A to point B.

I would own one again and if the new Mazda 6 wagon comes diesel stateside .. I'll own it again I think.
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T |
      VW MK7 GTI/R Installation YT Vids: Schwabo

19. Member
      Cars
      06 Mustang GT Vert 5MT, 08 TSX 5AT, 95 Volvo 850 GLT 4AT
      02-27-2013 05:58 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
      Currently rolling in a somewhat new Chrysler 200 Convertible. Total POS. It has the new 6 speed AT but still has no idea what gear it should be in. My 4AT slush Matrix XR AWD had better manners than this thing.

Hit the gas, wait a full two seconds, it downshifts and makes a lot of noise while not going anywhere fast. If you put it in "shift yourself" mode and try to get power to get onto the highway, the minute you pop it to 4th it slugs and you lose your momentum. The brakes are weak and fade at the simplest of 70/80-30 mph exit ramp decelerations.

So so gas mileage, horrible headlights, a climate system that cannot keep a temperature to save it's life, and a trunk that takes a body builder to open. Chalk that up with the fact that it handles like a 1990's Cadillac with a water suspension and there is nothing about this car that makes it better than my GLI. I should have taken the Taurus or 300 instead.

I had one of those in Miami a couple weeks ago.

While it admittedly paled in comparison to my friends' Maserati Granturismo that I drove on the same trip, it was a decent enough car in "shift it yourself" mode.

The trunk *was* maddening though. Otherwise it was fine for lazy cruising on pretty coastal roads in nice weather, which is what people are buying a Chrysler 200 for.
      http://sixsylinder.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by stacman View Post
      Top gear recommended it, so I bought it.

Cars
      A bicycle.
      02-27-2013 06:07 PM #19
      Have rented a couple 2012 Focus sedans. Quite like the Focus. Nice car. Rented a beat Fiesta and did not much care for it. Not sure if I hate it or the Yaris more (which I also rented last year and ex used to have one as well) Fiesta interior is super cheap. Gas mileage was good though. Hate the radio on both cars though -- too much electro/button wizzardry going on.

Cars
      2010 Scion xB
      02-27-2013 06:17 PM #20
      I had a 2013 Kia Sorento for two weeks while in Texas. It had about 3,500 miles on it when I picked it up. I ended up putting just over 1,000 miles on it and was very happy!

With 4 people & 6 bags, I averaged about 28 MPG's w/ cruise control always set at 80mph. (95% highway driving).

*Super comfy seats with great support for long rides
      *Excellent acceleration with plenty of pep when you punch the gas pedal (w/ 4 adults in it, you could easily "peel" out from a stop. Even if I was driving at like 25mph's and punched the gas pedal, the wheels would still "chirp." HaHa)
      *Ice cold a/c
      *Tons of head room
      *HORRIBLE i-Pod integration though. You could only change songs directly through the i-Pod.

Cars
      2007 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring, 1999 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 50th Anniversary Edition
      02-27-2013 06:19 PM #21
      My last trip where a rental was needed was in 2011. I went to the Virgin Islands with my parents. Our rental was a 2008 or 2009 Fusion with a four-cylinder. Engine buzzed like hell. It had plenty of room and was comfortable. But holy crap, that car was beat to hell. I'm sure we're all used to rental cars being total beasts of burden, as people have a tendency to think that anything that doesn't belong to them should be treated like a used Kleenex. 95% of the cars in the Virgin Islands have damage. The roads are narrow and windy. Shoulders are rare. People there drive like they're in a movie car chase. Combine those two and you get a two-year old Fusion in the condition of a twelve-year old Fusion after completing the Dakar Rally.
      You think you hate it now, but wait 'til you drive it.

23. 02-27-2013 06:23 PM #22

2013 BMW 328 convertible in Malibu. Didn't go for the Boxster as we needed more luggage space. Was a comfy, tight ride.

Cars
      VWs & Audis
      03-12-2013 04:56 PM #23
      4 door focus last week. hate the transmission, somehow feels like a cvt.

have a soul this week. engine sounds like a marbles in a blender (not that that is uncommon in this class), packaging is though.
      Dave

25. Member
      Cars
      1995 Lexus LS400
      03-12-2013 05:06 PM #24
      2012 Malibu- Trip to Detroit with 3 friends for the NAIAS. Like most rentals, it had been abused. Various stains, dents, curbed wheels etc. However I feel the car did very well and was overall comfortable for all four of us. Trunk was massive.

Cars
      17' Tiguan S 4motion
      03-12-2013 05:22 PM #25
      Worst: Dodge Caliber. It literally made me sick when I had to drive it.

Best (surprisingly): First gen Nissan Versa sedan. Excellent steering feel and lots of room. It makes me want to drive a Renault Clio quite a bit though...

Meh: 2010 Ford Fusion. It got me to and from, with absolutely no frills at all.
      East Idaho is interesting.

Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast