VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

TDI Haldex Mk1 caddy

72K views 108 replies 45 participants last post by  Anyclamp 
#1 · (Edited)
Build thread: TDI Haldex Mk1 caddy

I need a pickup truck that gets good mileage and that can still tow. I currently have a 2003 ALH that I have been using as a truck and I no longer want it full of exhaust parts so I picked up some Caddy's and a 2000 jetta TDI that lost its head due to a bad timing belt job. I have been working on sorting parts for the past 7 months and am finally to a point where I can start fabricating and assembling this truck. I will need some help with the more technical aspects of this build so please chime in if you have done something similar.

Now for the pictures:

ALH block, crank and accessories weighing down my current truck.

MY 02m gear box out of a TT. Now I need the TDI ratios to swap in.

I am currently waiting on some Roston rods. When they arrive I will be taking the bottom end to the machine shop to get the cylinders bored to match the pistons and have them assemble the bottom end. In the mean time I am going to start fabricating the rear subframe for the Haldex to mount to. I want this truck to sit low so it is going to be a challange to do with out chopping away at the bed. Wish me luck.

See less See more
#2 ·
This is a cool build, the TDI 6-speed ratios you'll need are gonna be available in the european market as they had a 6-speed option on there TDI's believe its was for the later common rail engine but still the same idea. however i dont know what the R&P set up they run. you may want to check out tdi club fourms they will have all the detailed info. i know the one guys name is delvi and he has done a fwd 6-speed swap in his tdi and later swapped his ALH for a BEW (i think thats the common rail engine code). i ll check back your progress, good luck!

#6 ·
Side tracked

Sorry I got a bit side tracked. I picked up a Corrado that needed some love and so it took my attention for a couple weeks. It should be finished the end of next week and then back to the truck. In the mean time my friends shop got rid of a couple cars so now the rabbit truck can go inside for some fab work.

#7 ·
Motor mounts

I am looking for suggestions for my motor mounts. Since I am running the ALH diesel engine I am wondering if there might be a softer poly bushing I could use or if i should just go with a higher durometer rubber mount? I have always used poly on gas cars but am open to hearing the choir.

Anyone have experience with these: http://www.034motorsport.com/chassi...olkswagen-8l-8n-audi-18t-20l-tdi-p-13092.html

#12 ·
I think Nothing Leaves Stock in PA makes motor mounts for this swap. Have you checked out TDIclub at all? A couple people have done compound turbo's on ALH's. Most go with a 17/22 but quite a few have stepped up to the 22/60 turbos. Looks like you're headed in the right direction with Rosten rods and a girdle. What pistons did you go with? Any plans on coating them and/or dropping the compression ratio? Sticking with 1.9L or are you bumping up to 2.0? What are your plans for the head/cam? What's the plan for fuel delivery? Haldex will be sweet!!
Corrado's aren't temporary distractions. ;) They'll literally rob you blind. Ask me how I know. Good luck on the build! My Dad has a caddy and I've thought for a while that it would be cool to make it a TDI.

#13 ·
If I were you, Try the stock motor mounts for now. The stiffer they are in the TDI's the more vibration you get from the motor. The 60 durometer dog bone mount in my car made if feel like it was going to rattle apart. If you can, try to find some 50 durometer mounts. Not horribly stiff, but enough to make a difference.

#16 ·
Could have sworn that NLS had mounts for this swap. :confused: I'm running Kerma's 1856 and have been for almost 5 years. Great power and IMHO an excellent turbo for a daily driver that won't leave a smoke screen every time you decide to go WOT. I bought a stg 3 Colt cam but it won't fit in my head without some clearance work. I need to trade it in for a stg 2.

#22 ·
More pics

So i started stripping the wiring harness and the engine out of the parts car to put into the truck. The new long block is built and about ready to paint.
Colt stg 2 cam lightly ported head, TT dual valve springs cryo treated. New valves, guides and lifters.
1/2" girdle with ARP hardware.
My helper was sick on Saturday so I substituted him for a new tire when dropping the engine and gear box. Gear box sold that day and has now financed the purchase of a Peloquin Diff for my AWD 02m gear box. I have decided to make a trip towing 3 gear boxes out to Diesel Land in Denver to have him do the gear swapping for me. He has done this before, so I feel he is the man for the job.

#23 ·
That girdle kit looks good ;). Make sure the 4 smaller main cap washers go on #1 and #5 main caps. I presume the spacers under the girdle were machined to give .001-.002" clearance between plate and block?

Give me a holler if you ever have any tdi questions :beer:.

#24 ·
Thanks

Thanks Whitbread!

I do have a question for you. Did you machine your pistons on the passat in order to have valve to piston clearance or was it fine with the 3 hole head gasket? I am refering to the compound turbo passat. I had the machine shop deck the block a tiny bit and now am freaking out because the said they didn't check the clearance when they put the pistons in. I find this out a week after they give it back to me.

#25 ·
More pics

I have still been collecting parts and striping both cars.
Drained the fuel tank and the diesel worked great in the pressure washer burner. I can't belive the 8 year old diesel could still be good.
Bay is almost ready for some fab work.
Found a little rust under the carpet. For a Utah Truck this is un heard of.
Started pulling everything off the under carriage.
Got the MK 4 dash out and am ready to pull the harness from the TDI. Anyone need some airbags and the controller? They are for sale.

#26 ·
Trans

I was going to DieselLand this weekend to have my gears swapped from the Euro Tdi box to the 02M awd box and I had ordered a Peloquin LSD a couple months back and still have not received it so it looks like I will just be dropping off the box and have to come back in a couple weeks to pick it up. I am going to drop by KermaTDI while I am out there and say hi to all the guys that have been hooking me up with parts. Hopefully the diff gets here soon so we can get the engine and trans fitted.

#30 ·
Subframe

I have been working on the subframe and another project at the same time.

Subframe partially welded. Center brace is just sitting there. I will need to get the frame test mounted before I can weld the center brace in.

I have been cutting and grinding away with a flap disc to get rid of a bunch of undercoating and un needed metal brackets. Doesn't look like I have done much but I have got rid of about 7 lbs of crap.

Not finished but getting close. Second subframe is a lot closer to where I needed to be. Measure once cut twice.

And here is the project that is slowing me down. Almost finished and then I can really concentrate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.