Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      Cars
      2010 VW CC R-line, 2012 GLI Autobahn
      11-18-2012 09:17 PM #1
      I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong section. It kind of borders off topic and car related.

I was wondering if anybody knows the process to suggest a law to be passed to keep truckers in the right lanes for public safety and flow of traffic on freeways? I know California has one and despite the large amount of people living in an area i've never once had an issue with trucks there. What does it take to get this idea started in my own state? Would I need to send a letter to a senator, contact department of public safety highway patrol? State petition?
      2010 CC R-line. 5% tint, Euro Clear Corners,ST Coilovers, Whiteline Adjustable Endlinks, Led interior lights, Apr Stage 1 Carbonio Intake, R8 Coilpacks, Hoen lights, BrakePerformance Rotors, EBC Red Pads
      2012 Jetta GLI Autobahn- APR Stage Intake, Cree LED DRL, Hoen lights, ST Coilovers,AWE TOP, VMR V710 Wheels, Gloss Black Roof Wrap

2. 11-18-2012 09:21 PM #2
      These?

or these?

3. Member
      Cars
      Corvette & SV650
      11-18-2012 09:21 PM #3
      Aren't you too busy trying to secede?
      Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

11-18-2012 09:29 PM #4
      i've never had a problem with truckers in left lanes.

Cars
      97 Jetta VR
      11-18-2012 09:34 PM #5
      They have those signs mostly in congested and or mountainous areas for semi traffic ..

Sent with my thumbs

6. Member
      Cars
      '14 GMC Sierra
      11-18-2012 09:43 PM #6
      Never had a problem with trucks left lane camping. They all have very good lane discipline. I only ever see them in the left when they're passing.

7. Member
      11-18-2012 09:45 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Air-over-water View Post
      These?

or these?

signs mean nothing if the laws aren't enforced.

8. Member
      Cars
      98 Cabrio
      11-18-2012 10:20 PM #8
      The only time I have problems withe semis in the left lane is when they cut me off to get over real quick to avoid another slower semi in the right lane.

Cars
      11-18-2012 10:22 PM #9
      These?

or these?

That would be it, but im talking about information on where to start to get this passed in my state.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
      Aren't you too busy trying to secede?
      Negative that's all the other looney rednecks. The first thing I would do is leave the state should that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Ickey View Post
      They have those signs mostly in congested and or mountainous areas for semi traffic ..

Sent with my thumbs
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Never had a problem with trucks left lane camping. They all have very good lane discipline. I only ever see them in the left when they're passing.
      There's ton's of issues out here in Arizona with Semi's. There's specific areas I always encounter semi traffic. One area happens to be on the I-10. The area is 75 mph, most people do 85 or so and semi's seem to want to pass in this area despite being governed at 55-63 mph depending on companies. It's a real hazard for drivers between slowing down, slamming on brakes, worrying about semi's darting out that may not see you etc. This isn't the only issue, trucks with gear that should be red tagged by dot on the highway and then you have full semi tires that end up in the hammer lane in traffic. Not only this but just the other day I caught a semi riding in the HOV lane in town. Now I know for sure there's absolutely no reason there should ever be a semi in a car pool lane... Anyway like I said this thread really isn't to bitch about the problem it's to find out information if anybody knows or has been a part of passing legislation for this in their state so I can help the process in mine.

Should you feel the need to troll, or make retarded accusations such as above asking if i'm too busy succeeding please feel free not to.

Thanks...
      2010 CC R-line. 5% tint, Euro Clear Corners,ST Coilovers, Whiteline Adjustable Endlinks, Led interior lights, Apr Stage 1 Carbonio Intake, R8 Coilpacks, Hoen lights, BrakePerformance Rotors, EBC Red Pads
      2012 Jetta GLI Autobahn- APR Stage Intake, Cree LED DRL, Hoen lights, ST Coilovers,AWE TOP, VMR V710 Wheels, Gloss Black Roof Wrap

Cars
      2007 Ford Fusion SUX, school bus turning radius edition
      11-18-2012 10:37 PM #10
      It wouldn't matter around Vancouver. All day every day dump trucks, container haulers are frequently in the fast lane. I also see dumpers in the car pool lane, which they are not allowed in even with 2 people. I blame their companies, who are always trying to outbid each other for the next contract. As a result these guys have to move more loads, so they will drive in whatever lane they want. When I drive in the US, usually WA state, it's nice to see trucks not in the fast lane. If they are in the fast lane they most likely have BC plates

Cars
      '84 GLI, '12 GTI
      11-18-2012 10:47 PM #11
      These?

or these?

PA has tons of Drive right, pass left signs now, and truckers obey it.... they will pass one truck going 55 by driving 56.

And the worst thing is, if they come up on a "slower" moving truck in the right hand lane, and they see you coming up on the left, they will cut you off.

12. Member
      Cars
      Corvette & SV650
      11-18-2012 10:56 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by .:FrankRizzo:. View Post
      PA has tons of Drive right, pass left signs now, and truckers obey it.... they will pass one truck going 55 by driving 56.

And the worst thing is, if they come up on a "slower" moving truck in the right hand lane, and they see you coming up on the left, they will cut you off.
      That's what happens when aholes refuse to let them pass while they're going faster, slow down to 55 mph to wait for a hole, and then slowly accelerate again.
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

11-18-2012 11:04 PM #13
      Glad I live in CT where we have toll free highways & commercial vehicle free routes like the Merritt parkway

Cars
      '84 GLI, '12 GTI
      11-18-2012 11:07 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
      That's what happens when aholes refuse to let them pass while they're going faster, slow down to 55 mph to wait for a hole, and then slowly accelerate again.
      No, they don't wait for anyone. If I am passing at 65 and they are in a line of cars going 57, and come up to a truck going 55, they just cut over and leave a line of cars stuck behind them for the next few miles.

Trucks should not be allowed out of the right lane. While people will argue that trucker's won't meet their shipments in time and truckers are only allowed to drive so many hours a day and yadda yadda yadda, maybe the whole system needs to be reworked for the sake of safety and bettering traffic flow on the ever more crowded highway system,

11-18-2012 11:12 PM #15
      [QUOTE=dj_cronic_metal;79751839

I was wondering if anybody knows the process to suggest a law ...[/QUOTE]

You're in Arizona... are you serious? Anything MVD related here if ****ed.
      However, make your law suggestion slightly racist and you may have a shot.
      x

Cars
      11-18-2012 11:24 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by eurotekms View Post
      You're in Arizona... are you serious? Anything MVD related here if ****ed.
      However, make your law suggestion slightly racist and you may have a shot.
      So add 9/11 and build a fence next to it and it'll pass? On another note a little more research into this has lead me to believe this would somehow have to end up as a SB to be passed and wouldn't go through the DOT, but I guess I would need a sponsor for it?

Cars
      2004 BMP R32
      11-18-2012 11:31 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Glad I live in CT where we have toll free highways & commercial vehicle free routes like the Merritt parkway
      You must live in the part of the state with free candy and high fives for everyone... I have a ****ing aneurism every time I drive on I-95, which is every damn day. Morons everywhere. Granted it is littered with trucks and people from New Jersey/New York, but still. Terrible.

The Merritt is nowhere relevant to my commute
      http://r32registry.org/802 ||| Garage Banners
      Quote Originally Posted by donotcometoflorida View Post
      If my science data analysis on current trends is correct, I project that by the years 2018 - 2025, all car's body panels will be replaced entirely by grill.

Cars
      97 Jetta VR
      11-18-2012 11:57 PM #18
      Well if they built it 3 lanes you wouldnt see the problem with trucks ...and its amusing to see it from the view of the 4 wheelers ...everytime a truck posses you off remember you wouldnt have not a damn thing to go buy with out us so suck it up and quit Ur whining

Sent with my thumbs

Cars
      D40 Frontier CC 4X4, 3BG Passat .:RS Variant
      11-19-2012 01:02 AM #19
      I overtook someone in the left lane and realized the Frontier is not very stable making sharp turns at highway speeds. If EVERYONE obeyed stay right except to pass, the world would be a much better place.

Cars
      The Standard of the World | Feed Your Restless
      11-19-2012 09:27 AM #20
      rant
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Cars
      2007 Mazda6, 2003 Mazda3
      11-19-2012 10:05 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by .:FrankRizzo:. View Post
      No, they don't wait for anyone. If I am passing at 65 and they are in a line of cars going 57, and come up to a truck going 55, they just cut over and leave a line of cars stuck behind them for the next few miles.
      PA Turnpike right? So annoying

22. Member
      Cars
      Corvette & SV650
      11-19-2012 10:15 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Ickey View Post
      Well if they built it 3 lanes you wouldnt see the problem with trucks ...and its amusing to see it from the view of the 4 wheelers ...everytime a truck posses you off remember you wouldnt have not a damn thing to go buy with out us so suck it up and quit Ur whining
      Frank won't stop whining until he gets his own lane with dedicated merge ramps.

23. 11-19-2012 10:57 AM #23
      Try I-40 between ABQ and Flagstaff....they love to pass one another when one is doing 1mph faster than the other!!

Cars
      2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser
      11-19-2012 11:16 AM #24
      Me either. It's always ****tards in Suburbans and full size trucks camping in the left lanes.
      Originally Posted by Internal Combustion
      Not sure if serious, so I'll put it in terms you can understand: your and idiot.

Cars
      99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 Jetta TDI
      11-19-2012 11:25 AM #25
      Interesting topic, I have two annecdotes..

1. A co-worker recently got pulled over for "traveling in the left lane" on a 2-lane highway without other cars around.. The cop told him that he "saw him traveling in the left lane for 3 miles".. I didn't know that wasn't allowed??

2. Another friend had to bail into the left guard rail when the truck he was passing decided to merge left.. The truck didn't touch him, but the guard rail pretty much totalled his car..
      99.5 Jetta TDI GL - T Red: DLC520 Nozzles, ASR Retrofit, VR6/1.8T Brakes, F&R Fogs, GLI Tails, Red/Black Sports Seats, Rear Sunshade

26. 11-19-2012 11:27 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by jaystone View Post
      signs mean nothing if the laws aren't enforced.
      Both of those signs are enforced, at least around here.

Cars
      '13 Golf R 4dr CSG
      11-19-2012 11:35 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by s.pavel6 View Post
      The cop told him that he "saw him traveling in the left lane for 3 miles".. I didn't know that wasn't allowed??
      Speechless

2013 4 Door R - CSG

28. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      2013 VW GTI 2DR DBM
      11-19-2012 11:36 AM #28
      no such thing in as left lane camping in socal, because everyone camps in every lane here. its just a cluster ****

but i dont think ive seen a trucker in the fast lane here but we also have 5-7 lanes. now driving to vegas is another story

Cars
      '13 Subaru Outback
      11-19-2012 11:38 AM #29
      I don't have a problem with them passing, but I drove to Tucson this weekend and just about got my stab on when, on three occasions, speed-governed trucks jumped out in front of me to pass another speed-governed truck. Not another blessed soul for miles behind me, but no, you had to swerve in front of me as I closed in at 85mph, then force me to brake and grind along at 62mph behind your stupid ass as you passed the other guy at a snail's pace because you couldn't go any faster than he was and he finally braked just to let you in. ****ing moron.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

Cars
      MK4 R32
      11-19-2012 11:45 AM #30
      Here in Oregon its the law that trucks are allowed to use the left lane while traveling; whether that be on the freeway, or a highway. Usually, on the freeways the trucks will stay in the right lane until they pass slower traffic (which is a whole other can of worms - idiots going 50 in a 65 ), but on the highways the trucks just will camp in the left lanes because they don't want to have to constantly switch lanes and don't have the common courtesy of moving over for faster traffic, its mostly logging trucks that are the *******s though and they never seem to get pulled over

/rant

helpful bit, write to your local state police station and complain about speeding trucks or whatever, they may or may not do anything; probably the latter, but if more people do it, the more likely it is that they'll enforce the law.

31. 11-19-2012 11:48 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by s.pavel6 View Post
      1. A co-worker recently got pulled over for "traveling in the left lane" on a 2-lane highway without other cars around.. The cop told him that he "saw him traveling in the left lane for 3 miles".. I didn't know that wasn't allowed??
      Quote Originally Posted by Lujess View Post
      Speechless
      That is how it is on some of the roads around here. They have been enforcing the signs a lot lately.

Cars
      2004 BMP R32
      11-19-2012 11:58 AM #32
      That is how it is on some of the roads around here. They have been enforcing the signs a lot lately.
      Finally... Maybe CT will start someday.
      http://r32registry.org/802 ||| Garage Banners
      Quote Originally Posted by donotcometoflorida View Post
      If my science data analysis on current trends is correct, I project that by the years 2018 - 2025, all car's body panels will be replaced entirely by grill.

Cars
      '14 WRX, '07 MX-5, '03 Silverado, coupla tractors
      11-19-2012 12:21 PM #33
      In WA we have the Keep Right Except To Pass law as well as a law that bans vehicles pulling trailers or with GVWR over 10,000 from using the left lane. Neither are enforced all that heavily.

That said, I don't usually have issues with commercial trucks in the cities and congested areas. Usually the ones running afoul of that law in cities are the knob-jobs in passenger trucks and SUVs pulling 100+% of their towing capacity, at full throttle all the time but only managing to do 5 mph under the speed limit. Energy drink, motocross-related, and ultra-conservative political decals optional, but usually present.

The only time I have issues with commercial trucks are out in the wide open areas between cities where they like to pull moves like Turbio posted above. What the f***? You can't wait 2 sec for the smaller car to pass before you start your 5 minute passing maneuver?

That and it seems every vehicle with ID plates seems to jam all the way left and slow to 55 mph immediately upon entering the freeway. The only time they move right is to block drivers who try to pass them.

Cars
      11-19-2012 12:29 PM #34
      On topic for a moment started sending out e-mails this morning to Arizona congress members. We'll see if I get any replies or if I need to do something else.

On to a few of the quotes from earlier this is entirely the reason that we need to keep these guys in the left lane. Governed trucks running 10-15 mph slower than the speed limit is just dangerous let alone letting them out in the left lane with other doing 20+ above them.

Cars
      '55 Ford 351C, '80 Typ 17 AAZ, '88 Typ 53b 9A
      11-19-2012 12:41 PM #35
      I say semis shouldn't be allowed to pass on two lane highways. Leave the left lane for faster moving vehicles.

They seem to have a better system in Europe, where semis are governed to 90km/h and the general speed limit is 120km/h. Perhaps we need to change speed limits to 55mph/75mph respectively.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '86 Scirocco PL, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast